Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-07-2019, 3:08 PM

Default dillon primer tube feeder and upside down primers

Ok, I really want the Dillon RF-100 primer tube feeder, filling tubes is what really slows down my reloading. But I have read on the net how unreliable they are and also how great they are, more unreliable than good.

I was worried about a upside down primer detonating while reloading, not worried about loading it or firing it, I would catch that since I check 100% of my reloads for high primers. I assumed that a upside down primer would detonate nearly every time while reloading. As a test I loaded a few rounds with the primer upside down, they all seated nicely and no detonation.

So is my detonation fear unwarranted ? yeah, I know it could be 1 out of a 1,000 and a few is not a good test sample, but I really thought it would 1,000 out of 1,000. Now I am really thinking about the RF-100 if my fears were unwarranted, it could be here by Friday

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 01-07-2019, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know squat about fancy reloading equipment but I've had to remove live primers put in every which way you can imagine. So long as the primer isn't struck hard, it's unlikely to detonate. If your concern is that filling the case and seating the bullet could set off a primer inserted backwards, I can't see how that happens, with or without something more automated than my single stage press, unless you're jabbing a decapping pin in the case while you rill it or seat a bullet.
Old 01-07-2019, 5:05 PM

my concern was detonation while inserting the primer, after that nothing touches the primer in the reloading process. I deactivated the primers before taking them out with a decapping pin, but I should have tried just recapping, I bet you are right about the impact vs. push for the removal process.

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 01-07-2019, 6:38 PM
Veteran Member

I removed five LRPs this morning in cases that hadn't been neck sized properly. In each case I raised the ram until the pun touched the primer, then gently applied pressure on the ram until the primer popped loose.

The ONLY time I ever set off a primer in a case was when I thought the primer plunger on an RCBS priming tool got stuck in the case. To do that, I sat a universal decapping die sitting on top of the case and then whacked the top of the die with a rubber mallet.

You're correct to be concerned, but unless the plunger applies a substantial, sudden force I can't see a primer being set off.
Old 01-07-2019, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

The only time I popped a primer was a dainty Winchester cup that got turned sideways, it seems, and I was forcing it...
The press needed a deep cleaning so it was crunchy with bar powder.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:13 PM
Calguns Addict

That Dillon primer machine is some pretty big bucks! Have you given much thought to the Frankford Arsenal primer filler thingy?
https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...arsenal+primer

The videos I've come across seems like it works pretty well. $50. Not a bad deal.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-08-2019, 3:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
That Dillon primer machine is some pretty big bucks! Have you given much thought to the Frankford Arsenal primer filler thingy?

The videos I've come across seems like it works pretty well. $50. Not a bad deal.
I had one of the Frankford primer fillers. It worked once, then broke.
Old 01-08-2019, 4:53 AM

Quote:

I have one and use it all the time. It works well and does save some time for a tedious task.
Just remember BAMN - there is no level too low for them to stoop!
COVID survivor - ain?t gonna get pricked!
Old 01-08-2019, 6:06 AM
Veteran Member

On my second Frankford arsenal primer after actually burning the motor out on one that I had used for several years. I just stick the Dillon primer tubes in and pull the trigger.
Old 01-08-2019, 7:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I had one of the Frankford primer fillers. It worked once, then broke.

There was a video going around about a batch of poorly built units. Some have used epoxy or other means to keep it together etc. and files to take off the rough edges to get it to work smoothly. I think the newer batches are better. I don’t own one so I can’t say one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-08-2019, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
So is my detonation fear unwarranted ?
Yes. Just try to be a little more gentle if you ever decide to start seating your primers with a firing pin.

Old 01-08-2019, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I bought the Frankford primer loader...it never seemed to work right. I putzed with it and never got it going..I a pretty mechanically inclined guy. Don't use it anymore. I have a few friends that have the Dillion primer loader...if I recall correctly most don't use it any more.

I've got 17 or 18 primer tubes I tend to load them up while drinking coffee. Then I load away, if I don't use them I leave them loaded in a case that they fit in perfectly..never had a primer issue leaving in the tubes for weeks.
Old 01-08-2019, 8:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
I bought the Frankford primer loader...it never seemed to work right. I putzed with it and never got it going..I a pretty mechanically inclined guy. Don't use it anymore. I have a few friends that have the Dillion primer loader...if I recall correctly most don't use it any more.

I've got 17 or 18 primer tubes I tend to load them up while drinking coffee. Then I load away, if I don't use them I leave them loaded in a case that they fit in perfectly..never had a primer issue leaving in the tubes for weeks.
When I first started (still only have 1 primer tube), I'd load one, dump the primers in the machine (650) and then load another. I used to have all sorts of sideways and upside down primers. Couldn't figure out what the poop was. Then, I figured out that I was probably the cause of it. I would lay the primer tube on its side. This is probably what caused the primers to turn around inside the tube. Now, I just tape the tube upright on the side of the Dillon.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-08-2019, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
When I first started (still only have 1 primer tube), I'd load one, dump the primers in the machine (650) and then load another. I used to have all sorts of sideways and upside down primers. Couldn't figure out what the poop was. Then, I figured out that I was probably the cause of it. I would lay the primer tube on its side. This is probably what caused the primers to turn around inside the tube. Now, I just tape the tube upright on the side of the Dillon.

Interesting....I've never had that problem...sometimes I hang the loaded primer tubes on the InLine Fab primer tube hangy thangy on my 1050 other times I just lay them on the bench when using my 550. If I don't use the loaded tubes they just go is a storage box that lays on the bench....never had a lot flipped primers.
Old 01-09-2019, 3:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I use the Vibra-Prime and it works. Yes, it is cheaply made, but hunting and pecking for primers is slow.

As far as primers turning in the tubes....never had that issue. I lay them on the table or hang them like mjmagee67.

What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 01-09-2019, 5:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

an upsidedown primer is no concern ive loaded 1000s on a dillon 550 and ive had like 5 primers flipped nothing happened in fact they actually seat easier a couple even made it to the chamber and they were just a stoppage

i even used the rcbs hammer to pull the components and deprimed the backward primer i went slow

the thing i have to look out for is little brass shavings that often end up on the primer seat and cause little fingernail like impressions

i am more concerned about the small primer 45 acp cases those cause a breakdown you got to pull it out just go on with an empty station cause if you put in a new case you will double charge the case under the powder measure
Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
an upsidedown primer is no concern ive loaded 1000s on a dillon 550 and ive had like 5 primers flipped nothing happened in fact they actually seat easier a couple even made it to the chamber and they were just a stoppage

i even used the rcbs hammer to pull the components and deprimed the backward primer i went slow

the thing i have to look out for is little brass shavings that often end up on the primer seat and cause little fingernail like impressions

i am more concerned about the small primer 45 acp cases those cause a breakdown you got to pull it out just go on with an empty station cause if you put in a new case you will double charge the case under the powder measure
perfect, that is the kind of answer I was looking for. Not sure if I will deactivate the primers that are upside down or try and deprime and reuse but I was worried about during the process of reloading. Good news since the RF100 is on its way, but won't be here for this weekends reloading session, I waited too long to order it.
I agree about the small pistol primer, its a major pain in the ***, I sort my brass now for small primers and throw those away. I pick up my brass at the range so only occasionally get a small primer brass in the piles I pick up, not many. On the 650, I tend to remove all the cases and start fresh when I get a SPP, just to make sure of no mistakes and finish the few rounds that were in the press on a single stage, yeah, I am anal about not blowing myself up.

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 01-10-2019, 1:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My 1050's primer stack detonated. I never figured out why. I could have been an upside down primer, flashing back up and into the primer magazine, I don't know.

However, I will not say that it wouldn't cause a primer stack detonation.

I hunt and peck my primers, but one or two still escape upside down...probably as they transfer from pickup tube to magazine.

I've also loaded thousands of rounds on a 550b and I've had my share of upside down primers and nothing ever blew up. It might be more a problem with the 1050 because you can't really tell if a primer get stuck by feel like you can with the 550 and 650.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 01-10-2019, 3:00 PM
Vendor/Retailer

a lot of this depends on the primers you use.

on both my 1050 and 650 i've had upside down primers but dont know where they flipped knowing they went into the primer fill tube facing the correct direction.

At any rate CCI small pistol and small rifle have gone upside down without detonation and i've deprimed them VERY slowly on the machine with no issue.

It is my understanding that Federal primers are the ones that tend to blow up primer tube stacks.

Just dont forget your eye pro regardless.

MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp
Old 01-10-2019, 3:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
So is my detonation fear unwarranted ?
Yes.
I have seated a lot of upside down primers over the years and none have detonated while doing so.
That number went down dramatically when I got my Dillon primer tube filler.
I don't think it has EVER dropped a primer sideways in 10's of thousands of rounds I have loaded with it.
You will see when you get it how it drops an upside down primer back into the center of the pan for it to get flipped over before it makes it to the tube.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 01-10-2019, 6:51 PM

If adjusted correctly (easy to accomplish), my RF100 has never dropped an upside down primer. Its a great tool and highly recommended for anyone that loads in quantity.

My only complaint is that I can’t stop watching the fresh primers spin around the top and drop 8nt9 the tubes. It’s mesmerizing.....