Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2019, 2:25 PM
JesseJames87's Avatar
JesseJames87 JesseJames87 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: bay area
Posts: 15
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default gun storage at home

I know it's wise to keep guns locked when possible, but is it illegal now to have a loaded gun without a trigger guard in your home? Say for instance, wanting to be prepared for an HD situation? In this situation, no minors, elders, or felons live in the home with gun owner.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2019, 2:26 PM
daninger4995's Avatar
daninger4995 daninger4995 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 42
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Not sure if itís illegal but itís your own home, do what you want/ need to to protect yourself and or family.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2019, 2:30 PM
JesseJames87's Avatar
JesseJames87 JesseJames87 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: bay area
Posts: 15
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninger4995 View Post
Not sure if itís illegal but itís your own home, do what you want/ need to to protect yourself and or family.
Fair point.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2019, 2:34 PM
daninger4995's Avatar
daninger4995 daninger4995 is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 42
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames87 View Post
Fair point.


I do recommend getting a quick access safe for your bedside if you will be storing a loaded gun though. It will cut back on the chances of an AD or theft of the gun. Thereís some good ones you can get for a decent price.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2019, 2:51 PM
JesseJames87's Avatar
JesseJames87 JesseJames87 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: bay area
Posts: 15
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninger4995 View Post
I do recommend getting a quick access safe for your bedside if you will be storing a loaded gun though. It will cut back on the chances of an AD or theft of the gun. Thereís some good ones you can get for a decent price.
Thank you, i'll look into them. I wouldn't keep it loaded when I'm not home, and keep the magazines separate and hidden.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2019, 3:13 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 3,783
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default gun storage

Agree on a quick access safe.

Always keep your dedicated HD gun loaded along with an extra mag. Weapon mounted light optional.

No need to be unnecessarily futzing with your gun when you come and go.

Double check the laws in your county/city as they may have specific laws for storage requirements when not at home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
M&P 15 (Mine)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2019, 3:25 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Concord
Posts: 37,873
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames87 View Post
I know it's wise to keep guns locked when possible, but is it illegal now to have a loaded gun without a trigger guard in your home? Say for instance, wanting to be prepared for an HD situation? In this situation, no minors, elders, or felons live in the home with gun owner.
I suspect you might mean 'trigger lock' instead of 'trigger guard', above.

As of 2019, CA state law on gun storage cares about access by minors; you describe your situation as outside those concerns.

As already noted, local jurisdictions may have additional requirements; since detecting a violation of such requires entry to your home, don't let them in.
__________________
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.



Last edited by Librarian; 01-11-2019 at 3:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2019, 4:01 PM
P5Ret P5Ret is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SF Ebay
Posts: 4,581
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I suspect you might mean 'trigger lock' instead of 'trigger guard'
I sure hope so, I can't imagine why someone would want a gun without a trigger guard. Probably a ND waiting to happen.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-2019, 4:32 PM
Califpatriot Califpatriot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sf bay area
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

San Francisco (and I think San Jose) require that guns be kept with trigger locks or in "fully enclosed" DOJ-certified containers. Something like a Hornady AR wall-lock or a shotgun wall-lock wouldn't work since it's not fully enclosed.

SF Police Code sec 4512, upheld in Jackson v. City and Co. of SF

San Francisco also requires that your balls be kept in a fully enclosed DOJ-certified container at all times.
__________________
In case it wasn't obvious, nothing I write here should be interpreted as legal advice.

Do you have a CZ PCR or P-01, a Kel-Tec P-11, a WASR, a fixed mag Draco, or a gen 2 or 3 PSAK-47? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for those.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2019, 5:37 PM
FAS1's Avatar
FAS1 FAS1 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 171
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames87 View Post
Thank you, i'll look into them. I wouldn't keep it loaded when I'm not home, and keep the magazines separate and hidden.
I keep a loaded home defense gun in my quick access handgun safe all the time. Even without kids at home anymore it keeps unwanted hands such as cleaning service, cable guy, plumber, friends, neighbors etc. off my gun.

Since it is 7GA steel and bolted to my bed frame it helps reduce the chance of theft and will at least buy a little extra time with a break-in. Maybe the crackhead will just take my TV and move along.

It is just about as quick as no safe and since it presents the holstered firearm to me it is impossible to grab the trigger, even in complete darkness. And... it's 100% mechanical for reliability and durability that will last many years if not a life time.
__________________
Glenn

FAS1 SAFE
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-11-2019, 8:52 PM
Califpatriot Califpatriot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sf bay area
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
I keep a loaded home defense gun in my quick access handgun safe all the time. Even without kids at home anymore it keeps unwanted hands such as cleaning service, cable guy, plumber, friends, neighbors etc. off my gun.

Since it is 7GA steel and bolted to my bed frame it helps reduce the chance of theft and will at least buy a little extra time with a break-in. Maybe the crackhead will just take my TV and move along.

It is just about as quick as no safe and since it presents the holstered firearm to me it is impossible to grab the trigger, even in complete darkness. And... it's 100% mechanical for reliability and durability that will last many years if not a life time.
Don't take this the wrong way because you have what looks like a quality product, but why should one get it over a speed vault.
__________________
In case it wasn't obvious, nothing I write here should be interpreted as legal advice.

Do you have a CZ PCR or P-01, a Kel-Tec P-11, a WASR, a fixed mag Draco, or a gen 2 or 3 PSAK-47? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for those.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-12-2019, 7:50 AM
FAS1's Avatar
FAS1 FAS1 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 171
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Don't take this the wrong way because you have what looks like a quality product, but why should one get it over a speed vault.
I wouldn't take it wrong Califpatriot, after all everyone has their own ideas and opinions and security is no different. Some people say a handgun safe is only meant to keep toddlers out. I look at it differently and since I always keep a loaded handgun in mine, I wanted better security than keeping a toddler out.

I also wanted something with the best durability and reliability and typically inexpensive Chinese electronics don't meet that requirement.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread with my opinion on handgun safes, but you can look at all the differences in them and decide what is the best value for you. If you want to email me or start a separate thread I would be glad to chime in with more of a comparison to any of the handgun safes available.
__________________
Glenn

FAS1 SAFE
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-12-2019, 8:10 AM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 3,783
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
I wouldn't take it wrong Califpatriot, after all everyone has their own ideas and opinions and security is no different. Some people say a handgun safe is only meant to keep toddlers out. I look at it differently and since I always keep a loaded handgun in mine, I wanted better security than keeping a toddler out.



I also wanted something with the best durability and reliability and typically inexpensive Chinese electronics don't meet that requirement.



Anyway, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread with my opinion on handgun safes, but you can look at all the differences in them and decide what is the best value for you. If you want to email me or start a separate thread I would be glad to chime in with more of a comparison to any of the handgun safes available.


I would have to agree here.

Everyone has different needs, circumstances and requirements. Also, what impacts me in my wallet may not impact others. (This I KNOW for a fact!). I donít have many guns (3), and have pretty much 1 gun per safe. One quick access on each side of the bed and another one under the bed. I also am ok if I keep a loaded gun nearby or on my hip 24/7 while at home. I can also leave my quick access safes open for even quicker access at night (no fumbling with the code. Just grab ní go). It works for my circumstances and for where I live.

To reiterate, check your local city/county laws on gun storage requirements.

Be safe.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
M&P 15 (Mine)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:37 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.