Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 2:25 PM

Default gun storage at home

I know it's wise to keep guns locked when possible, but is it illegal now to have a loaded gun without a trigger guard in your home? Say for instance, wanting to be prepared for an HD situation? In this situation, no minors, elders, or felons live in the home with gun owner.
Old 01-11-2019, 2:26 PM

Not sure if itís illegal but itís your own home, do what you want/ need to to protect yourself and or family.
Old 01-11-2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninger4995 View Post
Not sure if itís illegal but itís your own home, do what you want/ need to to protect yourself and or family.
Fair point.
Old 01-11-2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames87 View Post
Fair point.

I do recommend getting a quick access safe for your bedside if you will be storing a loaded gun though. It will cut back on the chances of an AD or theft of the gun. Thereís some good ones you can get for a decent price.
Old 01-11-2019, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninger4995 View Post
I do recommend getting a quick access safe for your bedside if you will be storing a loaded gun though. It will cut back on the chances of an AD or theft of the gun. Thereís some good ones you can get for a decent price.
Thank you, i'll look into them. I wouldn't keep it loaded when I'm not home, and keep the magazines separate and hidden.
Old 01-11-2019, 3:13 PM
Veteran Member

Default gun storage

Agree on a quick access safe.

Always keep your dedicated HD gun loaded along with an extra mag. Weapon mounted light optional.

No need to be unnecessarily futzing with your gun when you come and go.

Double check the laws in your county/city as they may have specific laws for storage requirements when not at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-11-2019, 3:25 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I know it's wise to keep guns locked when possible, but is it illegal now to have a loaded gun without a trigger guard in your home? Say for instance, wanting to be prepared for an HD situation? In this situation, no minors, elders, or felons live in the home with gun owner.
I suspect you might mean 'trigger lock' instead of 'trigger guard', above.

As of 2019, CA state law on gun storage cares about access by minors; you describe your situation as outside those concerns.

As already noted, local jurisdictions may have additional requirements; since detecting a violation of such requires entry to your home, don't let them in.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 01-11-2019 at 3:27 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 4:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I suspect you might mean 'trigger lock' instead of 'trigger guard'
I sure hope so, I can't imagine why someone would want a gun without a trigger guard. Probably a ND waiting to happen.
Old 01-11-2019, 4:32 PM

San Francisco (and I think San Jose) require that guns be kept with trigger locks or in "fully enclosed" DOJ-certified containers. Something like a Hornady AR wall-lock or a shotgun wall-lock wouldn't work since it's not fully enclosed.

SF Police Code sec 4512, upheld in Jackson v. City and Co. of SF

San Francisco also requires that your balls be kept in a fully enclosed DOJ-certified container at all times.

Do you have a CZ PCR or P-01, a Kel-Tec P-11, a WASR, a fixed mag Draco, or a gen 2 or 3 PSAK-47? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for those.
Old 01-11-2019, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you, i'll look into them. I wouldn't keep it loaded when I'm not home, and keep the magazines separate and hidden.
I keep a loaded home defense gun in my quick access handgun safe all the time. Even without kids at home anymore it keeps unwanted hands such as cleaning service, cable guy, plumber, friends, neighbors etc. off my gun.

Since it is 7GA steel and bolted to my bed frame it helps reduce the chance of theft and will at least buy a little extra time with a break-in. Maybe the crackhead will just take my TV and move along.

It is just about as quick as no safe and since it presents the holstered firearm to me it is impossible to grab the trigger, even in complete darkness. And... it's 100% mechanical for reliability and durability that will last many years if not a life time.

FAS1 SAFE
Old 01-11-2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
I keep a loaded home defense gun in my quick access handgun safe all the time. Even without kids at home anymore it keeps unwanted hands such as cleaning service, cable guy, plumber, friends, neighbors etc. off my gun.

Since it is 7GA steel and bolted to my bed frame it helps reduce the chance of theft and will at least buy a little extra time with a break-in. Maybe the crackhead will just take my TV and move along.

It is just about as quick as no safe and since it presents the holstered firearm to me it is impossible to grab the trigger, even in complete darkness. And... it's 100% mechanical for reliability and durability that will last many years if not a life time.
Don't take this the wrong way because you have what looks like a quality product, but why should one get it over a speed vault.

Do you have a CZ PCR or P-01, a Kel-Tec P-11, a WASR, a fixed mag Draco, or a gen 2 or 3 PSAK-47? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for those.
Old 01-12-2019, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Don't take this the wrong way because you have what looks like a quality product, but why should one get it over a speed vault.
I wouldn't take it wrong Califpatriot, after all everyone has their own ideas and opinions and security is no different. Some people say a handgun safe is only meant to keep toddlers out. I look at it differently and since I always keep a loaded handgun in mine, I wanted better security than keeping a toddler out.

I also wanted something with the best durability and reliability and typically inexpensive Chinese electronics don't meet that requirement.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread with my opinion on handgun safes, but you can look at all the differences in them and decide what is the best value for you. If you want to email me or start a separate thread I would be glad to chime in with more of a comparison to any of the handgun safes available.

FAS1 SAFE
Old 01-12-2019, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
I wouldn't take it wrong Califpatriot, after all everyone has their own ideas and opinions and security is no different. Some people say a handgun safe is only meant to keep toddlers out. I look at it differently and since I always keep a loaded handgun in mine, I wanted better security than keeping a toddler out.

I also wanted something with the best durability and reliability and typically inexpensive Chinese electronics don't meet that requirement.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread with my opinion on handgun safes, but you can look at all the differences in them and decide what is the best value for you. If you want to email me or start a separate thread I would be glad to chime in with more of a comparison to any of the handgun safes available.

I would have to agree here.

Everyone has different needs, circumstances and requirements. Also, what impacts me in my wallet may not impact others. (This I KNOW for a fact!). I donít have many guns (3), and have pretty much 1 gun per safe. One quick access on each side of the bed and another one under the bed. I also am ok if I keep a loaded gun nearby or on my hip 24/7 while at home. I can also leave my quick access safes open for even quicker access at night (no fumbling with the code. Just grab ní go). It works for my circumstances and for where I live.

To reiterate, check your local city/county laws on gun storage requirements.

Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)