Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-31-2018, 5:32 PM
wilderness medic wilderness medic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 320
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default Unable to keep reticle focused

The reticle in my new optic keeps going in and out of focus with my eye. It goes from perfect and crisp to disappearing altogether. Itís not an issue with the high end optic as no one else thatís shot it experiences this.



Does anyone know what exactly could be happening with my eye and if thereís any way to fix it? This hasnít happened with any other optic in my life and Iím baffled.... no returns on the optic, it was expensive, and I love it but itís so difficult to use.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-31-2018, 5:54 PM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,743
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

What is the optic?

Are you setting the paralax correctly?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-31-2018, 6:30 PM
wilderness medic wilderness medic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 320
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Elcan specter TR 1-3-9.

Could that be it? Itís going in and out of focus itís not moving

It says adjustable parlax but I see nothing in the manual about how to

Last edited by wilderness medic; 12-31-2018 at 6:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-31-2018, 6:44 PM
terry4130 terry4130 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 425
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Do you have astigmatism? I know that can mess with the clarity of sights.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-31-2018, 7:06 PM
wilderness medic wilderness medic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 320
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry4130 View Post
Do you have astigmatism? I know that can mess with the clarity of sights.
I believe I do, or did. I also had lasik. Really worried thatís the reason.


All I can describe it as it like focusing in between your front sight post and your target back and forth except itís doing it on its own. Just when I get all set up it goes out of focus and then disappears pretty much completely.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2018, 7:16 PM
SAD338 SAD338 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 477
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Do the 139s have a diopter? Because the 1-4xs did not. It didn't bother me until I hit my mid 30s and the reticle starts to change from clear to blurry so I couldn't stare at it too long. Same with ACOGs.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-31-2018, 8:19 PM
terry4130 terry4130 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 425
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
I believe I do, or did. I also had lasik. Really worried thatís the reason.





All I can describe it as it like focusing in between your front sight post and your target back and forth except itís doing it on its own. Just when I get all set up it goes out of focus and then disappears pretty much completely.


Iíd ask about it during your next eye exam. I have it and it is a challenge at times. I find I have to try different techniques for different types of sights. LASIK would be a nice upgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-31-2018, 8:29 PM
wilderness medic wilderness medic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 320
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Man this a depressing.... been reading for an hour about astigmatisms. At first it sounded like that was it, then it didn’t.

Watching a twang n bang video he talks about it being an issue with red dots and says get an etched reticle and it shouldn’t be an issue. My Elcan has a red dot and it’s fine. It also has an etched reticle at 3/9 and that’s what’s giving me the issue


As far as a diopter idk. Elcan site says adjustable parallax but there’s no other adjustment on the optic and nothing in the manual
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-31-2018, 8:32 PM
Intimid8tor's Avatar
Intimid8tor Intimid8tor is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boise, the land of the free.
Posts: 6,405
iTrader: 76 / 100%
Default

Nevermind
__________________
Starve the beast, move to a free state.

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-01-2019, 4:26 AM
SAD338 SAD338 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 477
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Looking at the ELCAN 139 specs, it lists a diopter at -. 075. That does not sound like an adjustable diopter to me.
Are you nearsighted? You should your wear your glasses. That has typically been the military's response to this issue before lower power variables started arriving. Remember, their main audience is 18-21 year olds with 20/20 vision. Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-01-2019, 7:28 AM
wilderness medic wilderness medic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 320
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Looking at the ELCAN 139 specs, it lists a diopter at -. 075. That does not sound like an adjustable diopter to me.
Are you nearsighted? You should your wear your glasses. That has typically been the military's response to this issue before lower power variables started arriving. Remember, their main audience is 18-21 year olds with 20/20 vision. Lol.
I had lasik I donít need glasses now. Or at least I shouldnít after spending thousands.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-01-2019, 12:55 PM
wilderness medic wilderness medic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 320
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I’m curious why some optics don’t have a ring for focus? Thinking about these fixed magnification settings wouldn’t it require that everyone who uses it has the same exact eyes and vision?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-04-2019, 1:19 PM
mtenenhaus mtenenhaus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,011
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

I do believe that that is a not uncommon phenomenon with astigmatics.....

I've found that moving my glasses down a bit so that i'm consistently looking through the top 1/3 of my progressive lenses helps.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-11-2019, 7:45 AM
mtenenhaus mtenenhaus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,011
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

I found this on another site...perhaps it might help you as well:

1) Set scope to Max Power
2) Parallax set to Infinity (this is very important)
3) Point it at a solid, light background like a white wall or blue sky. You don't want anything except a solid, light color to look at.
4) Start from the diopter all the way into the occular and rotate out.

Don't stare into the optic, open and close your eye as you adjust such that you have no more than about 1 second open, 4-5s closed.

In short order you can get the diopter very closely adjusted such that it will be crisp at all but the finest areas of the reticle.

Once you're there, small adjustments are made and you should focus your attention to the smallest details such as 1/10th mil hash marks, square corners in the reticle, etc.

Flick your eye open, then closed. Look at the reticle picture and see if it's crisp. Repeat as necessary until you have the diopter adjusted properly.

Lock down the ring on your diopter or wrap it with electrical tape and lock it down. Perhaps a sharpie with a witness mark between the occular and diopter ring. Something to reference it for the inevitability that it will get bumped.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Paul_R's Avatar
Paul_R Paul_R is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Norcal
Posts: 2,194
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
I had lasik I donít need glasses now. Or at least I shouldnít after spending thousands.
Fellow astigmatism suffer here (among other issues). I had lasik and I can tell you from personal experience that it isn't permanent. I bought a lifetime warranty, had two "touch ups" and decided that more touch ups is not a good idea. I wear progressive bifocals now.
__________________
Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:25 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,266
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
The reticle in my new optic keeps going in and out of focus with my eye. It goes from perfect and crisp to disappearing altogether. Itís not an issue with the high end optic as no one else thatís shot it experiences this.
While you are looking through it, or at different distances??

Probably just need to adjust that "adjustable parallax" in conjunction with the diopter... that's what it is for. To get both the reticle AND image in sharp focus at most distances.

Pretty common phenomenon if you are playing around indoors or at close distances with a scope that has no adjustable objective / parallax adjustment...

if you don't know where your parallax adjuster is, same deal as above. Find it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:50 PM
SAD338 SAD338 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 477
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Seeing the past few comments, I think most folks don't know that the ELCAN, like the ACOGs, do not have adjustable parallax. Their diopters are fixed at the setting designated by the military contract.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:59 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,266
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Seeing the past few comments, I think most folks don't know that the ELCAN, like the ACOGs, do not have adjustable parallax. Their diopters are fixed at the setting designated by the military contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
Elcan specter TR 1-3-9.

Could that be it? It’s going in and out of focus it’s not moving

It says adjustable parlax but I see nothing in the manual about how to
Yep, I was going by what the owner/OP said. What he described with a reticle being out of focus is something I've experienced a lot out of the parallax setting range whether it is fixed or not. What I'm used to seeing is a diopter for focusing on the eye piece and a parallax adjuster on the objective or side... if this had one, I'd look under the flip caps.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-11-2019, 2:58 PM
crufflers's Avatar
crufflers crufflers is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,266
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Parallax adjustment: Yes

----

Tech Specs at a Glance:

Magnification range: 1x / 3x / 9x

Field of view: 16 deg @1x, 6 deg @6x, 2 deg @9x

Objective diameter: 30mm

Eye relief: 78.6 @1x, 70.4 @6x, 74.1 @9x

Illuminated reticle: Yes / LED

Parallax adjustment: Yes

Turret adjustment increments: .1 Mil

Max elevation / windage: 90 / 60 MoA

Tube size: N/A

Weight: 850g

Length: 265mm
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-11-2019, 3:57 PM
wilderness medic wilderness medic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 320
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
Fellow astigmatism suffer here (among other issues). I had lasik and I can tell you from personal experience that it isn't permanent. I bought a lifetime warranty, had two "touch ups" and decided that more touch ups is not a good idea. I wear progressive bifocals now.
That’s super frustrating. Time for another exam. I’ve been saying for a year or so I feel like my lasik isn’t working. Lot of money for something temporary....



Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
While you are looking through it, or at different distances??

Probably just need to adjust that "adjustable parallax" in conjunction with the diopter... that's what it is for. To get both the reticle AND image in sharp focus at most distances.

Pretty common phenomenon if you are playing around indoors or at close distances with a scope that has no adjustable objective / parallax adjustment...

if you don't know where your parallax adjuster is, same deal as above. Find it.

While I’m looking through it. I’ve noticed it is a lot less dramatic once I’m looking past 400 meters but it’s still there. Inside 400 as I’m focusing on my target the reticle slowly blurs until disappearing completely. I have to shut my eyes and start over to get it back.


Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Parallax adjustment: Yes

----

Tech Specs at a Glance:

Magnification range: 1x / 3x / 9x

Field of view: 16 deg @1x, 6 deg @6x, 2 deg @9x

Objective diameter: 30mm

Eye relief: 78.6 @1x, 70.4 @6x, 74.1 @9x

Illuminated reticle: Yes / LED

Parallax adjustment: Yes

Turret adjustment increments: .1 Mil

Max elevation / windage: 90 / 60 MoA

Tube size: N/A

Weight: 850g

Length: 265mm
The description on their site is bogus. It does NOT have any parallax adjustment.

Last edited by wilderness medic; 01-11-2019 at 3:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:21 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.