Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-25-2018, 9:41 PM

Default A twist on the "Grey Man" concept

A couple thoughts came together recently. With the Fires in many area's of California, a person wearing a Fire Fighter uniform can go anywhere they want and not get bothered by anyone (cops or criminals). SDG&E employee's have a similar freedom.

I used to work for a company that worked on phone systems; if I brought along a couple orange cones I could park anywhere and not get towed, once in a building with a tool bag and work orders I could go anywhere without anyone even paying attention.

I wonder if anyone here has gathered clothing/uniforms to allow them access or the ability to move freely.

I am not talking about anything that would be illegal like impersonating a police officer.
Old 11-25-2018, 9:56 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I think several news stories have been done that show people who simply wear a hi-vis vest can get away with all sorts of stuff.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:01 PM

A hard hat, clip board, vest, and a badge that has your picture & some logo will almost let you get away with murder.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Correct. Most people are sheep.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 PM

Most of the time if you act like you know what you're doing and where you're going you can do what you want.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

LOL
Back in my phone co. days my group needed phones for new product testing. Well, the boss wouldn't cough up for them so a colleague and I went to the north wing of our building where a project had been terminated. Colleague is in shirt and tie with a clipboard, looking very managerial and I'm in my polo shirt looking very grunt and between us we boosted 25 phones from the desks distributed 20 to teammates for their projects and left the last 5 in a box to be found outside a hated product manager's office.
Old 11-26-2018, 1:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
A couple thoughts came together recently. With the Fires in many area's of California, a person wearing a Fire Fighter uniform can go anywhere they want and not get bothered by anyone (cops or criminals). SDG&E employee's have a similar freedom.

I used to work for a company that worked on phone systems; if I brought along a couple orange cones I could park anywhere and not get towed, once in a building with a tool bag and work orders I could go anywhere without anyone even paying attention.

I wonder if anyone here has gathered clothing/uniforms to allow them access or the ability to move freely.

I am not talking about anything that would be illegal like impersonating a police officer.
There’s no such agency that would do that.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 11-26-2018, 5:57 AM

I'm sure nobody has ever thought of that, ever
Old 11-26-2018, 1:36 PM
Calguns Addict

While I think it's possible to pretend your way into some areas wearing a lime vest, it begs the question of why?

Recon for info??
Moving thru an closed area all by your onesie??
Stealing a much needed resource??

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-26-2018, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Thirty some years I drove a red van with Budweiser on the side. Got into many a concert and fair for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 11-27-2018, 2:14 PM

Today's XKCD covers the topic.

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775
Old 11-27-2018, 2:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
While I think it's possible to pretend your way into some areas wearing a lime vest, it begs the question of why?

Recon for info??
Moving thru an closed area all by your onesie??
Stealing a much needed resource??

I had a process serving company specializing in breaching security. No need for costumes if you act right. Walk in like you own the place, meet security-eye to eye, smile and salute casually. You just walk in.
Old 12-10-2018, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I think several news stories have been done that show people who simply wear a hi-vis vest can get away with all sorts of stuff.

You see those vests on camera when they steal packages. I personally saw people breaking into cars wearing one.
Now, I mistrust them.
Old 12-16-2018, 9:20 AM

Old 12-23-2018, 5:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The fire station 10 miles from here had a break in one night while the crew was out on a call. The only things the thieves took were uniforms and badges.
Old 12-23-2018, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
The fire station 10 miles from here had a break in one night while the crew was out on a call. The only things the thieves took were uniforms and badges.

Same thing happened at a tailor (does the sheriff uniforms) here in Vista about a year ago.
Old 12-23-2018, 7:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan275 View Post
A hard hat, clip board, vest, and a badge that has your picture & some logo will almost let you get away with murder.
A hard hat and a clip board let me ride the 118 Freeway for a year before it opened. If anyone looked up, we just gave them an informal salute and kept going. It was great.