Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2018, 7:41 PM

Default New resident Import limit?

I am going to be moving to California within the next year. Is there a limit to how many firearms I can import? I have 30 serialized firearms.

From what I see, I can't find any problem with that. Except for having to attach 9 extra pages to the forms.

Anyone have any experience or ideas?

Here is the from. https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...s/ab991frm.pdf
Old 12-07-2018, 7:45 PM
retired Goon

There is no limit.

Fee is $19 per submission with no limit to the amount per submission.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.Ē - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-07-2018, 7:49 PM

Does it raise any questions from the government? Im hoping that importing 30 vs importing 1 is the same thing.
Old 12-07-2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticool1 View Post
I am going to be moving to California within the next year. Is there a limit to how many firearms I can import? I have 30 serialized firearms.

From what I see, I can't find any problem with that. Except for having to attach 9 extra pages to the forms.

Anyone have any experience or ideas?

Here is the from. https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...s/ab991frm.pdf
As said above by Quiet, there is not limit on the amount. But, no Assault Weapons, magazines over 10 rounds or NFA items. Any center fire semiauto AR or AK style rifles will need to be featureless or have fixed magazines. Pick up all of the off roster, ie not on the CA roster, handguns you will want before you leave, because once here they will be expensive, it you can even find them. And they will be worth 150 to 175% of retail.

If you have a choice, pick a dark green county if you have any desire to get a CA CCW.
Old 12-07-2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticool1 View Post
Does it raise any questions from the government? Im hoping that importing 30 vs importing 1 is the same thing.
No, but submit them all at once, within 60 days of becoming a resident, so you only have to pay one $19 fee.

Last edited by BAJ475; 12-07-2018 at 8:11 PM.. Reason: correct typo
Old 12-07-2018, 9:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There is no limit on how many weapons you can bring in as a new resident. Just make sure, as previous posters have pointed out, that your weapons are in a California-legal configuration.

They don't need to be on the safe handgun roster, that only applies to FFL sales and some PC 27585 imports.

But one caution. Bring in all your weapons when you come in as a new resident. If you import weapons after you become a resident, then you have to ship them to an FFL for release to you and the roster will apply to any handguns that you acquired after 2015. Make sure you understand the differences in importation procedures under PC 27560 and 27585.

Last edited by RickD427; 12-07-2018 at 9:41 PM..
Old 12-07-2018, 9:16 PM

Thanks everyone for replies!
Old 12-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

No limit on how many you bring in, BUT if you acquire many prior to moving you could raise a suspicion that you are not a personal firearm importer but are doing business in firearms without a license. Not a problem if these have been acquired over the years.
Old 12-08-2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
No limit on how many you bring in, BUT if you acquire many prior to moving you could raise a suspicion that you are not a personal firearm importer but are doing business in firearms without a license. Not a problem if these have been acquired over the years.
How would CA know when they were acquired? If a person lived in a state that accepted their CCW in lieu of a background check, only the FFL would know when that firearm was acquired.

I do agree if the person engaged in more than 5 transactions, after becoming a CA resident, that would raise this issue.

Last edited by BAJ475; 12-08-2018 at 2:40 PM..
Old 12-08-2018, 2:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
How would CA know when they were acquired? If a person lived in a state that accepted their CCW in lieu of a background check, only the FFL would know when that firearm was acquired.

I do agree if the person engaged in more than 5 transactions, after becoming a CA resident, that would raise this issue.
On the DOJ form it asks you when each firearm was acquired.
Old 12-08-2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander21 View Post
On the DOJ form it asks you when each firearm was acquired.
So, how do you think they would respond if you said: When I was a resident of state X and before leaving for CA.
Old 12-08-2018, 8:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
BUT if you acquire many prior to moving you could raise a suspicion that you are not a personal firearm importer but are doing business in firearms without a license. .
Easy to explain: I thought I'd like X gun and noticed it wouldn't be available to me in CA so I decided to buy it. Tried it after I arrived and didn't like it so I sold it.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
So, how do you think they would respond if you said: When I was a resident of state X and before leaving for CA.
If I remember correctly, there was a box for specific dates.

There's only so many times one can move to California and meet all the requirements in terms of working in another state for xxx months full time etc and having filed income taxes in that other state etc.

It's not one of those things where you get multiple chances to mess around and see what happens.
Old 12-09-2018, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

Correct. They ask for the date it was acquired. It is unlikely that anyone will bat an eye if you purchase a few before to and sell them soon after moving to California. Do that with too many, whatever that number may be, and you may receive some unwanted attention. It's a question of fact whether or not you get prosecuted.
Old 12-09-2018, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
Easy to explain: I thought I'd like X gun and noticed it wouldn't be available to me in CA so I decided to buy it. Tried it after I arrived and didn't like it so I sold it.
Buy a single X gun and who is going to care, but buy 20 copies of the same model and sell them off shortly after moving and you may get a hard look or more. That look may end with a prosecution depending on the facts. Were you lining up buyers before the move? Did you finance the purchases with a short term loan? Had you previously demonstrated any interested in gun ownership? Was there a previous internet history of you looking into the most profitable off roster guns to sell in California?
Old 01-16-2019, 3:00 AM

Quote:
As said above by Quiet, there is not limit on the amount. But, no Assault Weapons, magazines over 10 rounds or NFA items. Any center fire semiauto AR or AK style rifles will need to be featureless or have fixed magazines. Pick up all of the off roster, ie not on the CA roster, handguns you will want before you leave, because once here they will be expensive, it you can even find them. And they will be worth 150 to 175% of retail.

If you have a choice, pick a dark green county if you have any desire to get a CA CCW.
Question:
How do I legally bring firearms into the state if Iím just filling out the New Resident Firearm Form and paying $19? Do I just bring them with my household goods when the movers pickup my stuff? Do I have to send them to an FFL? Do I have to fly with them? (Iím moving from Hawaii to California is why I ask)

Secondly, how do I register handguns with the state? I know handguns must be registered when moving into the state. Is it just the New Resident Firearm Form that I have to fill out?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal_vargas30 View Post
Question:
How do I legally bring firearms into the state if Iím just filling out the New Resident Firearm Form and paying $19? Do I just bring them with my household goods when the movers pickup my stuff? Do I have to send them to an FFL? Do I have to fly with them? (Iím moving from Hawaii to California is why I ask)

Secondly, how do I register handguns with the state? I know handguns must be registered when moving into the state. Is it just the New Resident Firearm Form that I have to fill out?
Answers bolded.

Although we do hear stories of pilferage in transit, so if the number is manageable, hand-carry might be better.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:42 AM

What can CA do if you decide to bring 100 Glock 42s purchased yesterday?

I don't believe they can legally do anything.

It isn't until you try to sell all 100 the first week you get into CA that you might get into trouble. If I recall, the litmus test is selling guns infrequently. The number I've heard thrown around is five per year.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Answers bolded.

Although we do hear stories of pilferage in transit, so if the number is manageable, hand-carry might be better.
Thank you! Iím glad to hear that I donít have to go through an FFL.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhong07 View Post
This is closest to the scenario I am questioning. From what I understand, a new resident to CA has 60-days to register their out-of-state firearm with CA after arriving.
My question is, would it be better to sell an out of state off-roster handgun prior to moving to CA or is there a way to later PPT off-roster handguns as a CA resident to non-exempt individuals?

(I have a non-direct family member moving to CA from FL. They legally own off-roster handguns and want to thin the herd either prior or after moving to CA. Interfamily is out and I am not exempt but I am obviously interested in this opportunity.

I appreciate the clarification in advance.

Source:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...0.&lawCode=PEN
It is legal for one CA resident to sell an off-Roster handgun to another CA resident, using a CA FFL to mediate a "PPT".

Selling is an option a new resident may choose over registering guns that new resident has brought in.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
It is legal for one CA resident to sell an off-Roster handgun to another CA resident, using a CA FFL to mediate a "PPT".

Selling is an option a new resident may choose over registering guns that new resident has brought in.
Thank you for the clairification!
Old 02-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Boy, I'm so glad that I didn't have to move out there, but it almost happened. I just read through this thread and my head was spinning and those flow charts...WTF!!!! Hope you enjoy the weather tacticool1, that's all you will enjoy.