Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-24-2019, 8:23 PM

Default LASD Level 1-D Reserves

I received the following email from the LASD Reserve Forces Bureau. I guess if any Level 1 Reserve Deputies can be a regular full sworn deputies. I wonder if it applies to Level 1 reserve officers with other agencies. But, I think it may be a good news:

"RESERVE FORCES DETAIL HAS BEEN GIVEN APPROVAL BY SHERIFF VILLANUEVA TO BEGIN THE PROCESS OF TRANSITIONING INTERESTED LEVEL I-D RESERVES TO BECOMING FULL TIME DEPUTY SHERIFFS!"

Reserve Forces Detail, with the concurrence of Undersheriff Raymond Leyva and North Patrol Division Chief Eliezer Vera, has been directed to immediately begin the process of accepting emails from Level I-D reserves interested in becoming full time Deputy Sheriffs. It is the desire of Sheriff Villanueva to not only improve the Department’s Reserve Program, but to also retain and reward those reserves who qualify with the opportunity to become full time Deputy Sheriffs. The Sheriff and his Executive Staff recognize the tremendous sacrifices each of you make and want to acknowledge that sacrifice by making available to qualified reserves a pathway to becoming full time Deputy Sheriffs.

In order to begin the process, I first need any interested Level I-D reserve to send me, Sgt. John Burton, an email requesting your desire to be considered for transition to full time Deputy Sheriff.

Thank you for all you do for the Department and the Reserve Program!

Stay safe,

Lt. David Buckner, Asst. Dir. Mike Leum & Sgt. John Burton

Reserve Forces Detail

323-526-5100
Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 PM

Congratulations.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2019, 10:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is outstanding news. LASD possesses a number of Level 1D reserves that would make excellent full-time deputies.

It's also very helpful, particularly when the agency is struggling to recruit deputies, to have multiple accession pathways to full time status.

The only caveat here, is that the announcement only applies to Level 1 Designated reserves. It does not apply to all Level 1's.

As a matter of POST requirements, non-designated Level 1's do not meet the training requirements for PC 830.1 (Full Time) appointment.
Old 01-25-2019, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
Congratulations.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I am a retired deputy. I don't know why they sent me this email.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post

Hahah probably just an email blast to all known emails.

Enjoy retirement!
Old 01-25-2019, 1:37 PM

maybe they want you back
Old 01-25-2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
maybe they want you back
I don't think I want to go back to work. I like my current schedule better.
Old 01-25-2019, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Yea, I recall when you retired, Micro. I think it's just an email blast.

The typical primary difference between Level 1 and 1D is completion of the Field Training (I don't think this qualifies them to receive their POST Basic though). 1D's pretty much function as FT, but without the FT pay/bennies. I would think that most agencies hire from their R/O pools before branching out.

I do know that some agencies 1D's are typically retirees that come back to work part-time. Then again, there are also those "Weekend Warriors" who make a lot of dough in the private industry, but want to do some good in the streets.
Old 01-25-2019, 4:41 PM

It’s been awhile since I went thru a police academy. But, I seem to remember that if you went thru a regular full time academy and then hired as a reserve that you’d be considered a level 1 designated. If you went thru a reserve academy then you could only become a level 1 reserve. Thus the key point was what type of academy that you graduated from.
Old 01-25-2019, 8:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddytguns View Post
It’s been awhile since I went thru a police academy. But, I seem to remember that if you went thru a regular full time academy and then hired as a reserve that you’d be considered a level 1 designated. If you went thru a reserve academy then you could only become a level 1 reserve. Thus the key point was what type of academy that you graduated from.
It's changed toddy. Reserve A, B, C academy is no more. Reserves go through an RBC just like everyone else, but typically lack the field training and FT requirement to receive a POST Basic for lateral ability.

RBC's range from regular or modular in both intensive or extended. It's all the same and recruits receive RBC certificates. They are all qualified the same.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
As a retired member, you're probably one of the best sources to bring new folks into the department. We've suffered from too many bad hires in recent years. You're well suited to spot young folks with the qualities to become excellent deputies, and to help them prepare to compete for the positions.
Old 01-26-2019, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

...BUt get ready to work the jails for a few years, then going to patrol with an FTO on a daily basis for 6 months. You’d still have to get off probation as a full timer for that first year you were hired. Seniority also starts the day you’re hired “full time,” and not when you started as a reserve. That’s a county rule, not a department rule. There’s no shortcuts either for patrol just because one was a reserve. Moving to “full time” employee is an entirely different animal.

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-Trump’s SCOTUS: 2 / Dems: 0
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 01-26-2019, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
...BUt get ready to work the jails for a few years, then going to patrol with an FTO on a daily basis for 6 months. You’d still have to get off probation as a full timer for that first year you were hired. Seniority also starts the day you’re hired “full time,” and not when you started as a reserve. That’s a county rule, not a department rule. There’s no shortcuts either for patrol just because one was a reserve. Moving to “full time” employee is an entirely different animal.
The patrol training issue may not be so cast in stone. When I retired in 2013, the policy was that a deputy had to complete the standardized Field Operations Training program. There was no requirement that it be completed while being a regularly employed deputy sheriff. At the time most stations provided abbreviated training to their reserves. My station required completion of the standardized training program. It took about three years a reserve to do it, if they worked one day a week.

We had one reserve complete that program and then go on to become a regular deputy. I spoke at length with Bob Lindsey, who was the unit commander at personnel. He agreed, in principle, that the member had satisfied the Field Ops Training Requirement, but would not agree to a global policy decision in the absence of proof that all stations universally required the standard program to be completed.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:47 AM

When I was on patrol, we had 3-4 reserve deputies who worked their own cars by themselves. I believe they were 1-D deputies. They were experienced and were good guys.
Old 01-26-2019, 1:58 PM
Veteran Member

One particular agency in my area hires from their RO pools and mandate a 40-hr/week FTO program. Their RO's are unpaid, so this is completely unrealistic for functioning adults entering the profession who don't have a safety net like living at home with mom and dad.

Granted, this is a more "affluent" city with the highest paid officers in the general metro area, so it is not surprising that the majority of their new hires are young, inexperienced, and mold-able into exactly what the city wants.

Last edited by code_blue; 01-26-2019 at 4:38 PM..
Old 01-26-2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
As a retired member, you're probably one of the best sources to bring new folks into the department. We've suffered from too many bad hires in recent years. You're well suited to spot young folks with the qualities to become excellent deputies, and to help them prepare to compete for the positions.
You are right. I try to help recruiting good ones. I do not recommend just anyone. My former trainer at the LA Fitness became a deputy with my recommendation last year. He almost killed me with routines at the gym. I saw him in the academy class when I was teaching an LD. It was kind of fun to pick on him couple of times.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Yea, I recall when you retired, Micro. I think it's just an email blast.

The typical primary difference between Level 1 and 1D is completion of the Field Training (I don't think this qualifies them to receive their POST Basic though). 1D's pretty much function as FT, but without the FT pay/bennies. I would think that most agencies hire from their R/O pools before branching out.

I do know that some agencies 1D's are typically retirees that come back to work part-time. Then again, there are also those "Weekend Warriors" who make a lot of dough in the private industry, but want to do some good in the streets.

I beg to differ regarding hiring from within the Reserve Officer ranks. I know from experience that all the South Bay cities (Torrance, Hawthorne, etc) don't give any preferential treatment, they treat Reserve Officers like anyone else off the street.

One would think just the opposite. A department has a perfect opportunity to recruit from the best Reserves they themselves hired and trained, this includes Level 1's, but sadly they don't. Though I have personally seen and have knowledge of nepotism at it's finest!

At my former agency, the chiefs son was hired, got injured in the academy and recycled. He still works there to my knowledge. I seen others in like circumstance get the boot. Other full time officers sons/daughters got hired, had issues during training and still made probation, and some of them just shouldn't be out there.

Jake
Old 02-06-2019, 9:10 AM

I don't know if some of you are getting the distinction between Level I and I-D. Level I has all the training of a full-time RBC officer and functions the same when on duty, but he only has peace officer status when on duty. A I-D reserve has peace officer status 24/7.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallship View Post
I don't know if some of you are getting the distinction between Level I and I-D. Level I has all the training of a full-time RBC officer and functions the same when on duty, but he only has peace officer status when on duty. A I-D reserve has peace officer status 24/7.
^^^THIS^^^^

Level One reserves are appointed under Penal Code section 830.6.

Level One (Designated) reserves are appointed under Penal Code section 830.1.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:33 AM

This is good to hear. Many smart agencies draw from their reserve pool to recruit full-timers.

There's some confusion here because the former training requirements for reserves were significantly different than they are now. Anyone who was appointed as a level I in the 21st century had to finish the exact same training as a full time deputy - the regular basic course.

As mentioned, the only different between Level 1 and Level 1-D is that the city council (or county supervisors) have passed an ordinance / resolution authorizing designated level 1s, and the department has appointed that individual as a 1-D. Many departments do this after FTO is completed. Level 1-D deputies get the same 24-hour authority as PC 832.1 - appointed full-time deputies, as described in PC 830.6(a)(2).

My department requires reserves to finish FTO after 1 year, and it's not that hard if you come in 1 day a week and run a shift.

There was a question about Basic certificates. You can't get a basic cert unless you're full-time, paid. However, once you have been sworn as a reserve, you can leave and come back, and if it's within 3 years, you don't have to meet the current training requirements. If you leave longer than 3 years, you have to complete a requalification course, and meet current training requirements (i.e. if you did module A/B/C/D, you're going back to the academy for RBC).

If you finish the RBC but were never picked up, you can complete the requal once after 3 years. If you still aren't hired within six years (since RBC), your RBC expires and you have to do the full academy again.
Old 02-12-2019, 9:06 AM

There are definitely some good Level 1D reserves out there. I do not mind working with them. I like to see them become regular deputies.