Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:34 PM

Default 3 gun training if you don’t own the 3 guns?

Anyone know of a place in So Cal that does this? Arrive and learn, they provide the gear and ammo, you just provide $?
Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity View Post
Anyone know of a place in So Cal that does this? Arrive and learn, they provide the gear and ammo, you just provide $?
Unfortunately I have not seen any organized classes specific to 3 gun competition that provide the guns. You might be able to find a private instructor that can furnish the gear though.

Are you looking to get into 3 gun competitions? Have you shot any other competitions yet? And what guns do you currently own? If you own a rifle and pistol, a great way to get started in the multi-gun sport is to shoot some of the carbine matches that are put on at clubs like mine in Piru (Deadwood Boys/X3 Multi-Gun) as well as multi-gun matches that are run under the United Multigun League ruleset since they have a 2gun (rifle/pistol) division.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:00 PM
CGN Contributor

Maybe Taran Butler.
Old 02-08-2019, 9:10 AM

Oak Tree Gun Club does a 3-gun fun shoot on Thursdays I think. It's not a training class, but they have gun and ammo rentals for whatever you might need. Can get a little crowded sometimes but worthwhile if you want to get your feet wet in 3-gun.
Old 02-08-2019, 9:17 AM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Maybe California Tactical Academy in Piru, might furnish what you need for one of their monthly matches or training classes.
Old 02-08-2019, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
Maybe California Tactical Academy in Piru, might furnish what you need for one of their monthly matches or training classes.
They don't have rental semi-automatic shotguns.
Old 02-08-2019, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you don't have the gear at this time it is not possible to get into the sport legally with the CA assault weapon and magazine restrictions and be competitive.
Old 02-08-2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
If you don't have the gear at this time it is not possible to get into the sport legally with the CA assault weapon and magazine restrictions and be competitive.
What do people use in competition that isn't still legal to acquire?
Old 02-08-2019, 2:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have seen a few shooters run a mossberg 500 within 1/4 second of a benelli

Nothing wrong with a pump....

Most places that rent require 2 shooters due to suicide concerns.

Unless you have a decent amount of shooting experience, 3 gun would not be my suggested starting point.... take a 4 day pistol class... Places like Front Sight rent all the gear needed

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 02-08-2019, 4:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You are a little late to the party. The Democrats in Sacramento will probably put an end to the viability of 3 gun competition in the not so distant future. You dont just take a "3 gun class" and become competitive. The vast majority of 3 gun competitors took handgun classes first, then probably tactical rifle classes and the combat shotgun classes. The 3 gun sport simply has you using all three in a match. You can buy the handgun and shotgun...just not the semi auto rifle unless you opt for use of a M1 carbine, mini 14 or M1A

While some schools may lend handguns, the lending of semi auto rifles in California these days is a place most schools are not willing to go for what little money a student pays in tuition.

Maybe look at what Front Sight in Nevada may be able to do for you..

Best of luck

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 02-08-2019 at 5:21 PM..
Old 02-09-2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
You can buy the handgun and shotgun...just not the semi auto rifle unless you opt for use of a M1 carbine, mini 14 or M1A
You are incorrect. You can get or build an AR-based rifle as a featureless rifle and be just fine in 3gun competitions in CA.
Old 02-09-2019, 4:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed Jon View Post
You are incorrect. You can get or build an AR-based rifle as a featureless rifle and be just fine in 3gun competitions in CA.
True...my bad. I just never think of featureless as I have several Roberti-Roos RAW's so my world is featureless less.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 02-09-2019, 4:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
And get several 30 round magazines legally? I doubt it.
Old 02-13-2019, 7:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Newhall.

The Oak Tree Gun Range rents ARs and shotguns. I don't remember if they rent out pistols too. Anyway it's every Wednesday night after 1700. Bring a jacket it is very cold there in that shooting canyon right now.

It's not "3-Gun" per se but a timed fun match where you shoot three different guns from three different positions with an active transition and count only hits instead of where you hit. You won't need a holster, you can start the pistol on a water barrel.

The people are very helpful but don't go there not knowing how to operate an AR or a shotgun.

I go there with my AR, a pump and a revolver most times. I don't try to game it, I just use it as an opportunity to be proficient with the gear I have with no regard to my stage times.
Old 02-13-2019, 1:20 PM

Quote:
And get several 30 round magazines legally? I doubt it.
You don't need 30 round+ magazines to compete in and have fun in 3gun. We go out of our way to make sure the stages are 10-round friendly and, if you have a featureless gun, you can have a regular magazine release, so mag changes aren't a big issue. Most stages that have rifle in them use under 30 rounds of rifle, so you will only have to reload 2 times. We have lots of guys running with 10 round mags without complaint and having a ton of fun doing so.
Old 02-13-2019, 4:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You don't need 30 round+ magazines to compete in and have fun in 3gun. ... Most stages that have rifle in them use under 30 rounds of rifle, so you will only have to reload 2 times. We have lots of guys running with 10 round mags without complaint and having a ton of fun doing so.
I'd bet the guys reloading twice or more are having fun but not being competitive compared to guys not reloading at all, skill level being about the same.
Old 02-13-2019, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'd bet the guys reloading twice or more are having fun but not being competitive compared to guys not reloading at all, skill level being about the same.

Yeah it's better to stay home and not participate at all.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Yeah it's better to stay home and not participate at all.
Exactly. I thought the whole point of these were to have fun. I guess I've been emphasizing the wrong thing in my match briefings. "If you ain't first, you're last." - Ricky Bobby
Old 02-14-2019, 5:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Even if you have one of those cockamamie disassemble-your-gun-to-reload things, you should shoot these matches to get practice reloading under duress. Or you won't be able to when you need to.