Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 11-12-2019, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I have not looked at the auctions, probably missed some cool stuff. Are we talking pretty crazy money, or just moderately so?
last Friday, I was watching an X serial prefix Remigton Rand, clean light grey repark with mixed parts go for $2750. Seems like $1800 is about the price paid for similar at the big gun auctions.

US&S versions are $3k min, but one went as high as 5k. currenlty there is a nice US&S thats up to $2,59 already, and I bet it will hit at least 4k by Friday. This may be reasonable for a US&S, but too high for me for a shooter.

The Rands on auction are too rough for my taste, and will go in the low 2K mark.

Interesting, there are a couple of posts on the cmp forum tonight asking why posts are vanishing. Moderator says the deleted posts indicating current called RNG numbers add no value , BS. He refers posters to an out dated thread with an RNG hat has not been updated since October.
Old 11-12-2019, 9:08 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Rifleman View Post
last Friday, I was watching an X serial prefix Remigton Rand, clean light grey repark with mixed parts go for $2750. Seems like $1800 is about the price paid for similar at the big gun auctions.

Interesting, there are a couple of posts on the cmp forum tonight asking why posts are vanishing. Moderator says the deleted posts indicating current called RNG numbers add no value , BS. He refers posters to an out dated thread with an RNG hat has not been updated since October.
I think the provenance that comes with the CMP guns make them more valuable than a similar gun that was smuggled out of government inventory. The small pool of them doesn’t hurt either.

I am baffled that the mod over there thinks the latest RNG info is not valuable - wth are they smoking?

Old 11-12-2019, 9:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Well they can't stop posts here
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 11-13-2019, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think the provenance that comes with the CMP guns make them more valuable than a similar gun that was smuggled out of government inventory. The small pool of them doesn’t hurt either.

I am baffled that the mod over there thinks the latest RNG info is not valuable - wth are they smoking?
I have read others mentioning the CMP provenance concept, but in reality most are now rebuilt parts guns anyway, and would appear the same as any garage build with GI parts. At the end of the day, both are GI 1911s. Hard to believe a CMP cert could add that much value.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I have read others mentioning the CMP provenance concept, but in reality most are now rebuilt parts guns anyway, and would appear the same as any garage build with GI parts. At the end of the day, both are GI 1911s. Hard to believe a CMP cert could add that much value.
So would you rather have a garage built 1911 of unknown quality parts and workmanship or a arsenal rebuilt 1911? I would think you would prefer the arsenal built. This is why the CMP provenance adds value
Old 11-13-2019, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
So would you rather have a garage built 1911 of unknown quality parts and workmanship or a arsenal rebuilt 1911? I would think you would prefer the arsenal built. This is why the CMP provenance adds value
GI parts are the same regardless if they are from CMP. Parts guns coming from CMP are including both commercial parts from Colt, and S&W as well as gov contractors. Seems like the CMP paper could also be forged.
Old 11-13-2019, 1:45 PM

The main 1911 order thread is still up and shows all of the ordering info so I think they deleted the "unofficial" threads that others had started with similar info.

This is the main thread that was originally started and is stickied-

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=234071
Old 11-13-2019, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1 View Post
The main 1911 order thread is still up and shows all of the ordering info so I think they deleted the "unofficial" threads that others had started with similar info.

This is the main thread that was originally started and is stickied-

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=234071
It’s not showing 10301 that was contacted last Friday per the now removed posts.
Old 11-13-2019, 2:02 PM

Quote:
GI parts are the same regardless if they are from CMP. Parts guns coming from CMP are including both commercial parts from Colt, and S&W as well as gov contractors. Seems like the CMP paper could also be forged.
Parts are parts BUT, with CMP you know it is rebuilt by a arsenal with in spec parts . A garage built 1911 there is no guarantee. Parts may be worn out of spec and how do you know the builder has the skill to assemble?
If you agree or not yes provenance does add value
Old 11-13-2019, 2:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
If you agree or not yes provenance does add value
I only asked a question, and in speaking for myself, it add zero value. Who else are you speaking for?
Old 11-13-2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
It’s not showing 10301 that was contacted last Friday per the now removed posts.
Then he probably didn't post in the main thread. Not agreeing with what happened, only offering an explanation as to what might have occurred.
Old 11-14-2019, 1:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer

FYI 10155 is an East Bay CA customer. I just got the request to process his transfer. He mentioned "just getting his call". I don't know if that means it was today or a few days ago.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 11-14-2019, 9:58 PM

Mine (10217) finally got handed off to fedex today. It's been a long road - almost 2 years since the bill authorizing 1911's to be transferred to the CMP. I can't wait to find out what I get!

WTB: Savage 99 SN#507612 (buying back grandpa's rifle)
Old 11-15-2019, 3:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

CMP is a business that does it's best to manipulate the market for maximum profit. God bless them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnake_nm View Post
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
In addition to all of the above, please note that it is illegal for you to offer an "Assault Weapon" for sale while you are in California, even if the weapon is restricted to sale out of the state.
Old 11-15-2019, 4:59 AM

Quote:

Here is the actual quote from the moderator. He doesn't say anything about the RNGs being useless. Only that the main thread should be used for all updates including what RNGs have been called. I just checked the linked thread and it continues to be updated with RNGs, but its up to the forum members to update it with their info.

"Got the call" threads are generally cleaned up because they serve no purpose. We have an ongoing tacked thread at the very top of the 1911 forum where people can track which RNG's are being sent out.

BTW, I think everyone should be more concerned with what might happen to the CMP1911 sales if the Saugus shooter used a 1911 for his rampage.
Old 11-15-2019, 3:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Is there a chance that they got more guns in FY2019 and kept it quiet? I am in the unlucky 15000 range and that's my only hope.
Old 11-15-2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
Is there a chance that they got more guns in FY2019 and kept it quiet? I am in the unlucky 15000 range and that's my only hope.
In one of the CMP threads, someone said Mark Johnson stated at a question and answer session that anyone with a RNG under 16,000 was in a very good position to get a 1911. However, there hasn't been any confirmation of that from any other source.
Old 11-15-2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1 View Post
In one of the CMP threads, someone said Mark Johnson stated at a question and answer session that anyone with a RNG under 16,000 was in a very good position to get a 1911. However, there hasn't been any confirmation of that from any other source.
So I am unable to locate a thread on the CMP site from about 2014-2015 time frame. So what I am going to say is rumor , conjecture and more rumor. Something along the lines of I talked to a guy who has a neighor's son that talked to his friend that knows another guy that worked at the CMP when they had the volunteer program unloading crates of rifle one summer. Now if you believe this source , the CMP inherited some 1911 pistols from the DCM from when they where last sold in the 60's and they have been sitting in a warehouse ever since then.

Now you believe everything on the internet don't you

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 11-16-2019, 10:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
So I am unable to locate a thread on the CMP site from about 2014-2015 time frame. So what I am going to say is rumor , conjecture and more rumor. Something along the lines of I talked to a guy who has a neighor's son that talked to his friend that knows another guy that worked at the CMP when they had the volunteer program unloading crates of rifle one summer. Now if you believe this source , the CMP inherited some 1911 pistols from the DCM from when they where last sold in the 60's and they have been sitting in a warehouse ever since then.

CMP has really handled this whole thing poorly. There shouldn't be a rumor mill, but the way they run their forum is idiotic.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

I had trouble just joining the forum there, couldn't post, had to ask for help, it worked for a while then I couldn't log in anymore. Just gave up.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 11-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I had trouble just joining the forum there, couldn't post, had to ask for help, it worked for a while then I couldn't log in anymore. Just gave up.
Same here. I am pretty sure I used to have an account but then one day I tried it after some time had gone by, and they did not know me or my email address.

So a couple weeks ago I signed up again - using the same username, confirmed the account with the confirmation email I got, and still I cannot post because my account has not been approved yet.

Whatever, I got on to a good CMP Facebook group instead and already met some nice folks there.

Old 11-16-2019, 1:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm waiting for my CMP account to be approved. Been waiting since late 2017. At this rate, the Roman Forum will be reopened for it's original purpose before I can post over there.

I do hope they got extra pistols, and get the idea behind staying quiet. However, the only public statement they made was that they got 8,000 and if they got more, they would say something. They haven't said something, and seem to delete posts that ask. Even a wink, wink, nod, nod would be fine. But...nothing.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 11-16-2019, 4:22 PM

Well, I went to go see what I got. 1944 remington rand frame, postwar GI replacement slide with just a number on it. If I ranked every possible frame/slide outcome by what I wanted this would be dead last.

I regret spending for a service grade and getting a recently-refinished pistol instead of something like this guy's field grade:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=254979

Old 11-16-2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post

Sorry, I am one of the ones able to post on CMP so I frequent it and keep up on things. I have responded to specific questions with what I have read there but didn't realize I needed to post a link. Here is a link to the thread where the guy talked about what Mark Johnson said. Go to post 14 and you can read the other pages and draw your own conclusion.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=254070&page=2
Old 11-16-2019, 7:46 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronW View Post
Well, I went to go see what I got. 1944 remington rand frame, postwar GI replacement slide with just a number on it. If I ranked every possible frame/slide outcome by what I wanted this would be dead last.

I regret spending for a service grade and getting a recently-refinished pistol instead of something like this guy's field grade:
Does the slide look like this one?
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...&postcount=670

If so what is the mfg code? I am not sure Colt supplied any slides without their usual markings but you could have something interesting! I was happy to get the post-war slide, no worries about shooting it.

The one in that CMP thread is pretty nice for a field grade though, finish looks original. I’d sure like to know more about their grading process.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 11-16-2019 at 7:52 PM..
Old 11-16-2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Does the slide look like this one?
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...&postcount=670

If so what is the mfg code? I am not sure Colt supplied any slides without their usual markings but you could have something interesting! I was happy to get the post-war slide, no worries about shooting it.

The one in that CMP thread is pretty nice for a field grade though, finish looks original. I’d sure like to know more about their grading process.
This thing is covered in stampings! Figuring out what they mean has actually been pretty fun, and the more I learn the happier I am with this pistol.

The left side of the slide has the number I mentioned: 7790314. Turns out this is the contract number and doesn't say who made it. I found the only thing on the right side is a very small "TZ". I believe that means this slide is from IMI - so the same folks that made my Desert Eagle?

The barrel says .45 AUTO / 7791193 / 85 (I'm pretty sure 85 is the year). There's stamping on the left side of the barrel (on the lower lugs) that also says TZ and 06P. So I think it's contemporary with the slide and also from IMI.

The left side of the frame has FJA and P which are normal for Remington Rand. There's also a very faint 8 on the trigger guard near the top.

The right side of the frame has a lot more going on. ANAD 4 87 I think means Anniston Army Depot, maybe April 1987? Makes sense with the 1985 barrel? The second "A" of ANAD is actually on to of what looks like a faint RIA stamp, so it Anniston was the second rebuild - it had already gone through Rock Island Arsenal. There's also a large 7 on the trigger guard on the right side up top, and a very deelpy struck small "A" just under the trigger. I can also barely see where the crossed-cannons was struck by the hammer pin. Finally, under the right grip panel (5564062-marked Korea-era) somebody electropenciled "E4"

Clearly this pistol has seen a ton of miles. If only it could talk! I also find it interesting that this was still getting work done on it after the Army had switched to the M9.

edit: Based on the cage code, I also got a checkmate magazine. Nice! And I got the tan pelican-type case.

Last edited by BaronW; 11-16-2019 at 9:16 PM..
Old 11-16-2019, 9:59 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

^^^ it sounds pretty cool to me. Sure it’s not the original Singer we were all hoping for, but what you have is authentic USGI and is a configuration that has probably rarely been seen in civilian hands. There may be tens of thousands more just like it, but the Army is still hanging on to those.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Thousands of hours on watch in Korea, a nervous new recruit shooting a handgun for the first time, a tunnel rat in Vietnam feet from an unseen enemy.
Many vets that used them now gone from us. It's American history you can touch, hold, shoot and bark out a .45 and history comes a little bit back to life at 850 feet per second.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 11-17-2019, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronW View Post

You knew all the service grades were refinished .That's the way they have all been in Service grades. They are not recent refinished ,these were done many years ago before being put in storage by the Army
Old 11-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

A member on CMP FB group #10,4xx got the call today, all three grades available.

Old 11-20-2019, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow. This is a cool surprise.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

They are up to 10,600+ now.

#10,599 reports he was offered all 3 grades

Old 12-08-2019, 6:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
They are up to 10,600+ now.

#10,599 reports he was offered all 3 grades
10630, last reported. Sounds like they did get another delivery of pistols, but they are keeping quiet and actively deleting forum posts they mention what number they are up to.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:21 PM
CGN Contributor

Got a call today and was offered rack and field grades. I never received my number so I have no idea what it is.
Old 12-10-2019, 9:11 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssurge View Post
Got a call today and was offered rack and field grades. I never received my number so I have no idea what it is.
Nice! Are you taking one? Some of the field grades coming out are very nice, to some people more desirable than the service grades.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:16 PM

Thinking about using my cmp1911 for home defense. Crazy? It was a 40s production colt slide on rem rand frame
Old 01-27-2020, 12:22 PM

I wouldn't. Lots of far better options.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:42 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvaudo View Post
Thinking about using my cmp1911 for home defense. Crazy? It was a 40s production colt slide on rem rand frame
I would only call it crazy if you don't mind having it for some long period of time after an incident of use.

E.g., it'll be in evidence for some period of time if it was fired I would think.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 02-02-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvaudo View Post
Have you shot yours yet? Mine wouldn't feed ball ammo off of the provided magazine. Get something modern that was designed to feed hollow points.

Old 02-02-2020, 8:27 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Are people still getting phone calls or have they stopped?