Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 11-18-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diinky View Post
It should be fine to do the livescan and training before the interview date, correct? And as for the livescan, do I just follow the instructions on their website (print out the form and go to any of the authorized livescan places)? Thanks!
You can do the livescan. I'm just a moron and didn't realize the livescan request form is literally the first page of the packet you print out at the end of your application. I had to ask where to get the form when they asked (it's on their site). The trainer I use requests you have approval before taking the class and qualifying.

Practically though, I didn't want to spend any money until I heard something back, in case my application was rejected outright.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:28 PM

Default OC CCW Employment change

My employer / job is listed on my CCW. If this changes and I get a new job, do I have to inform the CCW unit?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2021, 1:21 PM
Veteran Member

No.

Carry on as you were.

Old 11-23-2021, 9:48 PM

Perhaps this question was already asked, if so please point me in the right direction. I'm in the process of applying for the CCW in Orange County. What are the elements of a good "good cause" statement?
Old 11-24-2021, 2:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyflavi View Post
Perhaps this question was already asked, if so please point me in the right direction. I'm in the process of applying for the CCW in Orange County. What are the elements of a good "good cause" statement?
Read the past ten pages on this thread.

Thereís much discussed here that should be able to get you started.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfreshdope View Post
My employer / job is listed on my CCW. If this changes and I get a new job, do I have to inform the CCW unit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
No. Carry on as you were.
I think it depends.

If your employment is part of your GC, then it could be material and when you renew, it would have to be disclosed and the GC possibly modified as needed.

For example, if you work as a pharmacist and move from one retail pharmacy to another, quite possibly the GC would not need to be changed. You would be submitting a paystub and the change would be communicated through that and through the relevant fields on the application. Not a material change.

On the other hand, supposed you owned a business and had incorporated that into your GC, and you maybe sold the business or shut it down, and got a different job, then presumably that could be material and, again, when you renew, you would modify the GC statement as needed.

But if your work is not part of your GC, then when you renew, the change will be captured by the relevant fields in the application form.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
I think it depends.

If your employment is part of your GC, then it could be material and when you renew, it would have to be disclosed and the GC possibly modified as needed.

For example, if you work as a pharmacist and move from one retail pharmacy to another, quite possibly the GC would not need to be changed. You would be submitting a paystub and the change would be communicated through that and through the relevant fields on the application. Not a material change.

On the other hand, supposed you owned a business and had incorporated that into your GC, and you maybe sold the business or shut it down, and got a different job, then presumably that could be material and, again, when you renew, you would modify the GC statement as needed.

But if your work is not part of your GC, then when you renew, the change will be captured by the relevant fields in the application form.

Thatís what I was thinking and why I asked. My work was not my only good cause, just supporting, but Iíve moved within the industry and have the same duties as previously, just somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-26-2021, 5:01 PM

Default CCW Timeline

Thank you to everyone that has posted advice. This thread helped me get through the process so I will share my timeline and advice for others searching as well.

7/7 - Initial CCW application, interview scheduled for 11/18.
11/2 - Fee refunded / Asked for additional documentation including selfie, livescan, 2 recent utility bills, written log of places traveled specific to hiking/fishing, 1 news article depicting concerns while hiking/fishing.
11/2 - LiveScan (DOJ, FBI, Firearms) done. DOJ and FBI portions completed same day.
11/13-14 - CCW Class and Qual Shoot through Artemis
11/17 - Firearm portion of LiveScan completed
11/18 - Interview. Lasted 15 minutes. Asked to redo travel log and submit CCW class certification.
11/20 - Approval email
11/22 - CCW unit emailed me, asking to call to make payment
11/23 - CCW put in mail
11/26 - CCW arrives in my hands. If not for Thanksgiving holiday, may have arrived a day sooner.

Definitely recommend getting LiveScan started as soon as you're asked since the Firearms portion takes the longest to clear. As someone previously stated, I also was not aware that the liveScan form is included as the first page of the application packet. I got the form off the sheriff's website but it comes pre-filled in the application packet. At no point did I reach out to the CCW unit regarding my status throughout the process, I was just patient and waited to hear from them. I probably would have been fine submitting my class certification before the interview but I decided to wait until I was asked for it. I was asked to redo my travel log to reflect my hiking and fishing in the past 6 months to 1 year. Hope this helps someone out there.

Last edited by YetiReady; 11-26-2021 at 5:09 PM..
Old 11-29-2021, 6:32 PM

Default Got this from CCW unit

I called a few weeks after receiving this email and the the person I was speaking with asked me to read her the e-mail. When I did she said, "That's odd, we don't send reminders" Anybody else get one of these?

Greetings

This is a courtesy reminder to advise that your CCW License will be expiring soon.
If you have already submitted your renewal request, please disregard this automated message.
The link below will guide you through the process for renewal.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiReady View Post
11/2 - LiveScan (DOJ, FBI, Firearms) done. DOJ and FBI portions completed same day.
11/13-14 - CCW Class and Qual Shoot through Artemis
11/17 - Firearm portion of LiveScan completed
How do you check on the status of your LiveScan? Just submitted mine recently!
Old 12-01-2021, 2:08 PM

Hi guys I was curious if anyone knew how long it took add a gun to your permit
Old 12-01-2021, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

People mention hiking but I doubt hiking once a year is sufficient enough to get a ccw. How often would you have to go hiking in order to qualify for a ccw? Once a month? Twice a month?
Old 12-01-2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
People mention hiking but I doubt hiking once a year is sufficient enough to get a ccw. How often would you have to go hiking in order to qualify for a ccw? Once a month? Twice a month?
I'd come up with a better GC out if an abundance of caution. But SDSO seems like they're looking for any legally permissible reason vs specific qualities of legally permissible reason.
Old 12-01-2021, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diinky View Post
How do you check on the status of your LiveScan? Just submitted mine recently!
https://applicantstatus.doj.ca.gov

You'll need your birthdate and ATI number, found at the bottom of your Request for LiveScan Service form.
Old 12-01-2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
I'd come up with a better GC out if an abundance of caution. But SDSO seems like they're looking for any legally permissible reason vs specific qualities of legally permissible reason.
I go hiking and/or fishing close to once a month, including some camping trips (more fishing in the Spring and Summer). In my travel log, I had 11 entries from the past year. Would have had more but I was out of state for two months this past Summer. Full disclosure, I'm also a gigging musician and stated that since I am a musician, it's not uncommon for me to be traveling with instruments that make me a more likely target for crime, but they didn't ask me anything regarding my gear (though I showed evidence through photos). My last reason was that my activities and hobbies take me through areas of higher crime, in which my car was broken into once before (included photo evidence for that as well).
Old 12-02-2021, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpsoccer View Post
Hi guys I was curious if anyone knew how long it took add a gun to your permit
It took 105 days exactly for me. Late April to mid August.
Old 12-02-2021, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH-47 View Post
I called a few weeks after receiving this email and the the person I was speaking with asked me to read her the e-mail. When I did she said, "That's odd, we don't send reminders" Anybody else get one of these?

Greetings

This is a courtesy reminder to advise that your CCW License will be expiring soon.
If you have already submitted your renewal request, please disregard this automated message.
The link below will guide you through the process for renewal.
That’s very odd. I did not get a reminder email when I renewed earlier this year. Are you sure the email was sent by OCSD and not whomever you used for your training?

Last edited by Gavelams; 12-02-2021 at 5:08 PM..
Old 12-02-2021, 7:53 PM

Positive.......I've had a CCW with OCSD for quite some time now (Back to Corona days).
Old 12-06-2021, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEONG_FUN View Post
So I've had a few renewals and this year has been the longest wait time.

License expiration date 10.22.21

7.18.21 submitted application
7.19.21 documents submitted
7.31.21 training submitted
8.25.21/9.12.21 password reset to check status
10.11.21 reached out to CCWPermits@ocsd.org on status. Am told timeframe is 90-120 days and they are back up with influx of submissions and COVID.
10.12.21 replied with a thank you.
11.11.21 no word yet. Payment has not been refunded or anything.
12.5.21 payment refunded.

Website status changed from "assigning to processor" too "assigned".
Update

Finally received refund yesterday. It's a bit longer than expected, 135 days. Hopefully hear about approval this week so I can get back to my normally scheduled program.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:11 PM
USMC Veteran
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I remember hearing this somewhere or maybe my mind is playing tricks with me but can someone please confirm?

I have my OC CCW and I thought I heard that if let's say your spouse doesn't have a CCW but is carrying one of your CCW firearms in her bag/purse WITH you by her side, she is allowed to use it. My scenario in this case is you are dual carrying, one on your person and the other in a bag/purse with your spouse.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinnj View Post
I remember hearing this somewhere or maybe my mind is playing tricks with me but can someone please confirm?

I have my OC CCW and I thought I heard that if let's say your spouse doesn't have a CCW but is carrying one of your CCW firearms in her bag/purse WITH you by her side, she is allowed to use it. My scenario in this case is you are dual carrying, one on your person and the other in a bag/purse with your spouse.
No, she would need her own CCW.
The recent change was that if your wife wants to carry one of your carry guns, as long as she is your spouse, she can list it on her CCW, even though itís DROSed to the husband.

Old 12-10-2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
No, she would need her own CCW.
The recent change was that if your wife wants to carry one of your carry guns, as long as she is your spouse, she can list it on her CCW, even though itís DROSed to the husband.

I have heard this also. A person can have a handgun registered to their spouse on their CCW permit and vice versa. To carry concealed, CCW permit is required for whoever is carrying.

Active Junky - Use my link to join, we both get $10.
https://www.activejunky.com/invite/203490
Old 12-10-2021, 4:49 PM

After getting the renewal permit in the mail, do you have to send back the expired permit? If you don't have to send it back, are you supposed to destroy it?
Old 12-12-2021, 9:15 AM

To those who have P365 CCW. I have P365 standard for my CCW and wanted to change it to XL grip module. Would that be ok or do I need to recertified again? TIA
Old 12-12-2021, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternum888 View Post
To those who have P365 CCW. I have P365 standard for my CCW and wanted to change it to XL grip module. Would that be ok or do I need to recertified again? TIA
You would need to requalify with it again.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

To those who have P365 CCW.

I have P365 standard for my CCW and wanted to change it to XL grip module.

Would that be ok or do I need to recertified again? TIA
I would call them directly and share their response...

Orange County Sheriff's Department/CCW Licensing Unit
(714) 834-7229
ccwpermits@ocsheriff.gov

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 12-12-2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Unless there is some specific paperwork in OC to the contrary, I don't think you have to requaliify. I assume your qualification paperwork identifies the firearm by serial number and caliber. As long as those don't change, I don't see why that is not legally the same gun you qualified with, any more than if you changed a grip screw or used a different magazine. There would be nothing on the new qualification paperwork that is any different than the old.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 12-12-2021, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
Unless there is some specific paperwork in OC to the contrary, I don't think you have to requaliify. I assume your qualification paperwork identifies the firearm by serial number and caliber. As long as those don't change, I don't see why that is not legally the same gun you qualified with, any more than if you changed a grip screw or used a different magazine. There would be nothing on the new qualification paperwork that is any different than the old.
From the CCW page, it can be argued that replacing the frame module is a modification:

Quote:
Modifications are allowed for approved CCW listed handguns so long as the gun and all parts/modifications are legal in the State of California. All firearms/modifications must be inspected at the time of training to ensure the weapon is in safe working order.

If a modification(s) is done after the issuance of the license, you must complete the training/inspection as if it were a newly listed weapon. The training certificate will be added to your file.
In any case, GlockNRoll’s comment would be the best advice; to ask the CCW unit directly.

Old 12-12-2021, 6:14 PM

I stand corrected. So there, in fact, is specific paperwork to the contrary. That is the first I have seen of specific wording on that subject from any of the SoCal counties I monitor.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 12-12-2021, 7:54 PM

Quote:
FYI, you could add the base from Tatical Development to extend the grip without adding more rounds and they are as good or better than the XL grip.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:33 AM

Default Orange

Here what they said: I belive its modification not medication under their email.

ďWe don't go over medications with our applicants. Just make sure it's California approved and you go over it with your trainer. ď

Thank you,

CCW Licensing Unit
Orange County Sheriff's Department
Professional Standards Division
320 North Flower Street - 4th Floor
Santa Ana, CA, 92703
ccwpermits@ocsheriff.gov

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2021, 6:59 AM

Default ccw and good cause

Hi everyone. I want to apply for my ccw for orange county, but I get seconds thoughts due to the good cause statement. As of right now I have only come up with 2. I do go hiking once in a while but not deep into the woods type more casual. The other is where I live in Garden Grove I have a park behind my home and there are homeless they post up and do what they do so I feel as though that would be my good cause, but not sure if that would be enough to get approved. Oh and due to all the crime that media has put on the news regarding smash and grab and follow home robberies. That would be my 3rd option but maybe harder since all that has happened in L.A. county. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you
Old 12-17-2021, 7:05 AM

Default Ccw and good cause

Hi everyone. I want to apply for my ccw here in O.C., but I have some 2nd thoughts since I feel my good cause might not get approved and wanted to get feedback. So I do hike on occasion but not deep in the woods stuff..lol. also in Garden Grove I live behind a park that has constant homeless people and in sure drug usage. So that to me would be my go to. Also thought about the recent smash and grab and follow home robberies but again those have been mostly in L.A. county. Just want to make sure I have a good case to get approved. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you
Old 12-17-2021, 7:25 AM

Artemis Defense Institute in Lake Forest does one on one consultations and will help you generate your good cause statement.

You can make an appointment here: https://www.artemishq.com/services/

I went through them because I had concerns about mine and found that I had 3 potential good causes that would workout in my case. Of course you don't need to go through them but it was worthy the peace of mind IMO.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinaman714 View Post
Hi everyone. I want to apply for my ccw for orange county, but I get seconds thoughts due to the good cause statement. As of right now I have only come up with 2. I do go hiking once in a while but not deep into the woods type more casual. The other is where I live in Garden Grove I have a park behind my home and there are homeless they post up and do what they do so I feel as though that would be my good cause, but not sure if that would be enough to get approved. Oh and due to all the crime that media has put on the news regarding smash and grab and follow home robberies. That would be my 3rd option but maybe harder since all that has happened in L.A. county. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you
No idea how much searching you did, but I would encourage you to do some due diligence here and elsewhere. Here, you can find threads where folks have discussed wise and unwise elements of good cause statements, such as this (particularly post #31), this, and this. I'm sure others can be found. Other forums can also be good for research.

If you want to run your good cause statement by someone experienced, consider the free online Pre-CCW class that Artemis runs. The next one is January 28, 2022, and after that, once each month.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:24 PM

Any updates on how long the OCSD is taking to process CCW permits?
Rough Guesstimate ?
Sorry of this is a redundant question.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagunazrod View Post
Rough Guesstimate ?

My renewal took 90 days. Actually just received it yesterday. Donít know about first time through permits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagunazrod View Post
Rough Guesstimate ?
I submitted for mine on Sept. 4th
Just did my interview yesterday.
Not sure how much longer it will be after this
Old 12-24-2021, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedavell View Post
I submitted for mine on Sept. 4th
Just did my interview yesterday.
Not sure how much longer it will be after this
Great, thank you very much. I've been 'monitoring' this and it sounds like they've really picked up the pace. Good luck on your permit, sounds like you are almost there. Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2021, 8:13 PM

Im renewing my CCW in January. Is there anything new I need to know?