Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-11-2021, 8:53 AM

Default Practice round count with carry ammo?

I've read in a few different places (please don't ask for links, I don't have them) that one should put at least 1000 flawless rounds of the exact ammo you use through your carry pistol before choosing that ammo. With our current state of supply, it can be challenging coming up with a variety to make that determination. Then you need to acquire 1000+ rounds of it.. So my question is this. Have you put 1000 flawless rounds through your carry weapon? If not, what criteria did you use to become confident in your decision?

Last edited by Dennis; 11-11-2021 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: edit title
Old 11-11-2021, 9:57 AM

I'm going to state my preference which is minimum 150 without a flaw. that will be low for many people but good for me. I seriously doubt in today's prices people will pay $1.50 to $2.00 / round of factory ammo to verify a new gun.

Now, my two primary carries have been with me for over 8 years so a good number of rounds and many varying types of rounds have been fired. I know when that gun is reliable and when it is suspect. So, they do have close to 800 rounds through each but no my specific carry ammo.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I've read in a few different places (please don't ask for links, I don't have them) that one should put at least 1000 flawless rounds of the exact ammo you use through your carry pistol before choosing that ammo. With our current state of supply, it can be challenging coming up with a variety to make that determination. Then you need to acquire 1000+ rounds of it.. So my question is this. Have you put 1000 flawless rounds through your carry weapon? If not, what criteria did you use to become confident in your decision?
Your mistaken. The official rule of thumb is 950 rounds... (please don't ask for links, I don't have them)...
Old 11-11-2021, 1:20 PM

Before the ammo crunch, I'd run a maybe a half box to a full box through my main "defense" firearm periodically depending on time, and number of range visits. I do not carry but I think that applies to my "go to" arms as well; not just a carry piece.

I've run enough in the past to be fairy confident in my "ammo and gun " combo, but stuff happens so have a backup plan.

You will all hear kinds of numbers so do what feels right for you, nothing is fool proof.

Respectfully
Kyle

"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on." - Joseph Heller

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________

Last edited by Kyle1886; 11-11-2021 at 1:22 PM..
Old 11-11-2021, 6:32 PM

Then that would be an expensive suck if you get a jam at round 999.
Old 11-11-2021, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i rather use ball ammo and all my guns function fine on ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 11-11-2021, 8:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW4fi79OmL4&t=789s
Old 11-24-2021, 11:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll run whatever fmj ammo first, and then a 20rd box of whatever carry ammo I'd use.

Unfortunately I can't afford to drop 1k rds of HST or Critical Defense for every carry/hd gun
Old 11-26-2021, 10:16 AM

before the ammo shortage, I went to the range weekly to work on basics and movements from the holster. once every three months, I would do a defensive drill, off the x, shoot, move, shoot etc with a magazine full of my defensive ammo. Never had an issue thus far. Since the ammo shortage started, i only go every 3 months.

The main reason I cycle a magazine of defensive ammo is, as i shoot my pistol, wear and tear, gunk and grime change the pistol ever so slightly. The cost of a magazine of ammo is worth my piece of mind.

Before all everyone says parts don't wear and possibly change the performance of the pistol, i offer you my own personal experience.
bought a used Glock 17 gen 5 from a LEO i personally know who works on his skills regularly.

The pistol ran fine until about six months, I am doing Mozambique drills and get two rounds for one trigger pull. At first I thought I had accidentally pull the trigger twice but a few minutes later, two round burst.
Took it home and cleaned like I had to turn it into a Marine Corps Amory. Second range trip, repeat of the double fire. Took it to a local gunsmith. He pulled the connector and sure enough it was worn. Replaced it, runs like new.

Moral of the story, double check, verify for yourself.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:21 PM

I shoot Federal HST or Winchester Ranger SXT RA9T in my carry gun. I shoot maybe 100 rounds every couple of months. I also shoot FMJ occasionally. I carry Glock 17 and have never had a problem with either type of ammo....
Old 11-27-2021, 11:27 PM

Nonsense. You can run a box and know if it runs. This wives tail comes from some 1911's which were finicky with JHP's and from people who have no interest in training . We have come a long way.

Any good modern pistol should be able to eat anything you feed it. Glocks, CZ's , Sigs, Walther, 2011's etc can eat any kind of ammo. Most people who train reload and shoot a lot of ammo through their guns, very little of it is the JHP's they buy for their carry gun.

I was shooting with a few guys today who compete with their carry guns AIWB. Both reload, both are excellent shooters . It doesn't matter what ammo they are shooting, they are going to hit what they are aiming at.

Every week I put aside the top two bullets from my carry pistol and set them with my practice ammo. This is because of bullet set back. I can not tell the difference, especially with rapid fire, between my hand loads and my commercial JHP that are mixed in. I have a few +P boxes, but the difference in recoil is minor slow fire or rapid fire. I shoot a pretty mild practice load ( 4.4 gns Win 231 for a 124 gn 9mm bullet at 1.125 OAL)

I shoot around 200 rounds a week, and am still working on mastering fundamentals. I've got about 8,000 rounds through my CCW.

If your gun is not a 1911 and is finicky with certain JHP's , maybe it's time to get a better gun.