Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-26-2021, 4:33 PM

Default Appendix Carry

So I read a thread recently where several commentators strongly cautioned against appendix carry. I carry only DA/SA Sigs in full kudex IWB holsters and have been carrying appendix for about 2 years. Some commentors went as far as saying if appendix carrying, they did not keep a round in the chamber. I have not read or seen any reports of NDs that were caused/enhanced by appendix carry, but have not scoured the internet. Just ground-truthing my concepts and experience. Thoughts?
Old 01-26-2021, 4:40 PM

You'll shoot yer nuts off kid!

Seriously though, always carry a round in the chamber. I wouldn't trust anyone who advises otherwise. If you have a negligent discharge while holstering or drawing, appendix carry could be more dangerous than other positions. You run the risk of shooting directly into a major artery in your leg. Bleeding out from this could be less than a few minutes. The solution is to not shoot yourself! Appendix carry is as safe as the operator.

Plus... you know... you'll shoot your nuts off kid!
Old 01-26-2021, 4:53 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

BillyMays hit the usual highlights.

There is also this: do not be in a hurry to re-holster. (1) you might not be done using the gun yet! (2) if you are done, there is no rush, so take your time, look for stuff that found its way into or over the holster, get your finger off the trigger, all that good stuff.
Old 01-26-2021, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^
Old 01-26-2021, 6:12 PM

Good feedback. I always take care when re-holstering and keep
My strong hand thumb on the back the trigger.
Old 01-26-2021, 6:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If your scared to appendix carry then you shouldn't carry a live round in your gun period.
Old 01-26-2021, 6:28 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I've seen one video of a guy in a gun store who had an ND in his appendix carry. His hands weren't anywhere near the holster and the ND happened when he bent over. Best theory is he had an aftermarket trigger or shoe that was wider than stock and bending over applied enough pressure to activate the trigger while the pistol was in the holster.

So that's the one outlier I can think of where an appendix carry (combined with other factors) contributed to an ND. But generally speaking appendix by itself isn't less safe than other carry locations, it's just that an ND in that carry position has the potential for more catastrophic injuries.
Old 01-26-2021, 6:38 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
You'll shoot yer nuts off kid!

Seriously though, always carry a round in the chamber. I wouldn't trust anyone who advises otherwise. If you have a negligent discharge while holstering or drawing, appendix carry could be more dangerous than other positions. You run the risk of shooting directly into a major artery in your leg. Bleeding out from this could be less than a few minutes. The solution is to not shoot yourself! Appendix carry is as safe as the operator.

Plus... you know... you'll shoot your nuts off kid!
More concerned with the femoral artery than the nuts, besides you probably won’t hit both nuts.

Slow and attentive when holstering. Always watch the gun go in the holster.

If you cant pay full attention, it might not be time to put your gun away yet.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 01-26-2021, 6:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If your scared to appendix carry then you shouldn't carry a live round in your gun period.
Old 01-26-2021, 6:50 PM

Get a quality holster and you wont have any issues. Carried appwndix since day one with G Codes...have had kids jump on me, eaten it on skateboards everything under the sun....no issues.
Old 01-26-2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post

Slow and attentive when holstering. Always watch the gun go in the holster...
My XDS has a grip safety that I'm very careful to not engage when holstering.
Old 01-26-2021, 7:39 PM

Hammer fired guns means you can control the hammer while holstering. If you feel it move, something is in the trigger guard pressing on the trigger.
Old 01-26-2021, 7:44 PM

SDCarpenter: got it the first time. I, myself, would never carry without a round in the chamber. Just seeking others experiences.
Old 01-26-2021, 8:31 PM

I appendix carry for over a decade now. No issues but I do pay very special attention when holstering. I find it conceals better and gives my more control in tight situations. You bet I carry it fully loaded.
Old 01-26-2021, 8:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I do appendix sometimes. I practice dry firing and feel comfortable but always look down and re-holster carefully.

iTrader
Old 01-26-2021, 9:49 PM

I carry strong side between 2 and 4 OWB in pancake holsters. Occasionally I do IWB in kydex but same positions. I carry live round de-cocked in the CZ 75 Compact 9MM or the Baby Desert Eagle 40 S&W. If I have one of my 3 striker fired pistols on, they are also live but they have the manual safety engaged.

I personally don't care for appendix carry at all, For me it is uncomfortable. I am not concerned about ND. If I can't carry and be 100% confident and comfortable and sure of that weapon platform I have really no business carrying that particular weapon.
Old 01-27-2021, 3:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I carry this way often with my LC9. As long as you have a good holster and the trigger is covered and protected you are fine. Don't worry about it!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 01-27-2021, 3:29 AM

I’ve been AIWB for about 2 years now with my USP45 Compact LEM mostly (I have carried larger and wider, striker and hammer). As long as you have a good holster and you are very cognizant and slow in reholstering, I don’t think it’s any more dangerous than other methods. More often in defensive classes I’ve taken I’ve noticed the temptation to reholster quickly is those who carry OWB or on drop legs. Just always clear your cover garment and monitor the weapon as it is placed back in the waistband.

I’m a thicker guy, and most of my work throughout the night requires lots of extending, lifting, and driving. Maybe my muffintop stops the hammer or keeps the gun extra secure, but I’m still walking so I’m happy.
Old 01-27-2021, 9:05 AM

Another happy Appendix Carry fella here. Get a quality holster... ie. not your $30 Amazon specials. It really does make a huge difference. My current go-to is JM Custom Kydex with Pull-the-Dot soft loops and the "wing".

For some reason, having the gun in the appendix position feels more in control for me. I'm also paranoid about my shirt getting tucked behind the grip when I bend over then stand back up again... printing big time. In the appendix position, I can mitigate this easier without it looking like I'm fidgeting with my shirt a bunch, or worrying that it's printing and I just can't tell.

But with things like this, it comes down to personal preference and training. You won't feel comfortable carrying a gun around in any position if you don't practice until it's comfortable.
Old 01-27-2021, 9:43 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RcrjMrIV0UA
Heres a link from john lovell talking about this. I found it informational.
But i havent been ccw’ing for a long time So i cant give my perdonal experience
Old 01-27-2021, 10:09 AM

I've been Appendix carrying for over 10 years now. Crossbreed Appendix carry Holster, only has 1 clip to retain on your belt. Remove holster, Insert Pistol, Put Holster back into position. You'll never have to worry about your trigger catching on anything.

NRA and DOJ Certified Firearms Instructor
Old 01-27-2021, 10:15 AM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

I carry my Cobra appendix but to I'm fat to sit down.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
...besides you probably won’t hit both nuts.

Probably true, but still don't find that comforting.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:22 AM

Appendix carry is no more dangerous than 3 or 4 o clock carry. Train and get comfortable. If you cannot carry with a round in the chamber then you should not carry at all. I have seen plenty of people flag themselves at the 3/4 o clock

Old 01-27-2021, 12:31 PM

Appendix carry here for 30+years. I very seldom reholster with holster in place. I mostly remove holster, reholster firearm, then replace holster into position. I carry Glocks, with one in the pipe. My ccw Glocks are NOT internally modified. Kept stock for Appendix carry. When I do have to reholster with holster in place, it is very, very slow, with absolute vision of clothing completely clear of holster and firearm.
Old 01-27-2021, 5:45 PM

Good feedback. Thanks to all.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:00 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthetwin View Post
Appendix carry is no more dangerous than 3 or 4 o clock carry. Train and get comfortable. If you cannot carry with a round in the chamber then you should not carry at all. I have seen plenty of people flag themselves at the 3/4 o clock

I disagree with that. Depending on your vocation, it may be a better idea to carry without one in the pipe. For instance if you spend a lot of time crawling around in attics or things where you are rolling around awkward positions it’s probably best to not have one in the chamber. The one thing I will say is either always carry with one in the chamber or always carry with An empty chamber. Don’t mix it up.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 01-27-2021, 11:52 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not worried about it with my M&P CORE and I especially wouldn't worry if I was carrying a SA/DA pistol. I do believe, however, with appendix carry you should re-holster slowly while looking the gun into the holster each time. YMMV

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-28-2021, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogxtz View Post
Appendix carry here for 30+years. I very seldom reholster with holster in place. I mostly remove holster, reholster firearm, then replace holster into position. I carry Glocks, with one in the pipe. My ccw Glocks are NOT internally modified. Kept stock for Appendix carry. When I do have to reholster with holster in place, it is very, very slow, with absolute vision of clothing completely clear of holster and firearm.
^^^^ this is spot on. Exactly same scenario for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2021, 9:49 PM

Quote:
I disagree with that. Depending on your vocation, it may be a better idea to carry without one in the pipe. For instance if you spend a lot of time crawling around in attics or things where you are rolling around awkward positions it’s probably best to not have one in the chamber. The one thing I will say is either always carry with one in the chamber or always carry with An empty chamber. Don’t mix it up.
I agree with you. However, there is a big difference between not carrying with a round in the chamber because of the situation like yours, and not doing so because of fear or lack of training.

Old 01-29-2021, 8:04 AM

I have been appendix carrying for about 5 years now and while in some training classes, I have seen instructors trying to reholster at 4 o clock over clothing and not paying attention to what's in or around the holster as well.

Best advice if appendix carry, is to pull your shirt up with non dominant hand high to your chest and look down. If you see something that shouldn't be there then don't holster. Do that EVERY TIME you reholster.

Not sure how the one person said the ND happened if holstered and pressure caused the trigger to move. If it was kydex, not sure how this would happen.
Old 01-29-2021, 9:05 AM

I carry AIWB sometimes when I carry G19. I try not to re-holster when the holster is on my body but if I had to, I do it slowly and deliberately to ensure that no clothing is in the way.
Use good holster, I use Tier 1 Axis Slim, very good AIWB holster.
Old 01-29-2021, 9:56 AM

Quote:
What? If you have a gun that might go off because you're "crawling around", you either need A) a better gun, or B) a better holster, or C) more training because...

Guns do not just go off on their own.

Heck... I'm confident I could throw my holstered, chambered EDC down a flight of stairs without it going off. Seriously... fix your setup if there's any chance of it firing without you deliberately pulling the trigger.

Last edited by NorCalRefuge; 01-29-2021 at 10:13 AM..
Old 01-29-2021, 11:00 AM

Index the holster away from the body with your other hand while re-holstering and keep your finger off the trigger. The holsters I use all have a pad on the back that do this by design, but an extra inch is never a bad thing. Always check to make sure a zipper pull or part of your shirt got tucked in too.

I carried at 4 o'clock for a few years, but appendix is much more comfortable and easier on many levels. An unmodified gun in a quality kydex holster shouldn't pose a threat.
Old 02-04-2021, 8:35 PM

I carry Shields and 2.0 compacts in JM Kydex appendix, with one in the chamber.

I have the sound and feel of reholstering slowly quite memorized. As one instructor said in a class, " There is no prize for fastest reholster, do
It slowly and carefully after looking."
Old 02-05-2021, 3:17 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't even use a holster for appendix carry.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
I don't even use a holster for appendix carry.
You're my hero! Straight gangsta style in the waist band. Do you hold it fully extended at 90 degrees too?
Old 02-06-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFAN IN OC View Post
You're my hero! Straight gangsta style in the waist band. Do you hold it fully extended at 90 degrees too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2021, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFAN IN OC View Post

No it’s called Mexican carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2021, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
I've seen one video of a guy in a gun store who had an ND in his appendix carry. His hands weren't anywhere near the holster and the ND happened when he bent over. Best theory is he had an aftermarket trigger or shoe that was wider than stock and bending over applied enough pressure to activate the trigger while the pistol was in the holster.

So that's the one outlier I can think of where an appendix carry (combined with other factors) contributed to an ND. But generally speaking appendix by itself isn't less safe than other carry locations, it's just that an ND in that carry position has the potential for more catastrophic injuries.
Some may not agree with me ... but I wouldn’t use a modified gun as my everyday carry gun. First issue is even if you have a righteous self-defense shoot, you’ll still likely end up in civil court explaining why you carried a modified gun, and whether that contributed to it “going off” unintentionally (i.e. negligently) versus an intentional shoot, perhaps paying lots of money to the dead perps family (and lawyers). Second, I’ve witnessed a ND by someone else who was attempting to chamber a round in their recently modified handgun. They hit the back of the slide with their free hand. They didn’t have their finger on the trigger. It went BANG. That’s NOT supposed to happen. Yet it happened. After the shock wore off ... they tried that again. It went BANG again. I suggested to my companion that that handgun was a poor carry candidate . Then that gun went on the DL. That re-doubled my conviction that I’m happy I only carry a factory original Glock.

And yes, an unreliable gun that goes BANG upon a sharp impact is definitely the wrong weapon to appendix carry .

Last edited by dawgcasa; 02-07-2021 at 7:27 AM..