Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-04-2019, 7:33 AM

Default Advice on a concealed carry gun for my Girlfriend.

Hello.

My girlfriend is a avid hiker and we are moving to Washington state soon, where she will be able to get a concealed carry permit.

Does anybody have recommendations for a small caliber pistol that's comfortable to hike with?

And also, What type of holster is good for easy access under a jacket.

Are Bra holsters any good?

Thank you for any help.

NRA Member
Old 01-04-2019, 7:45 AM

Ruger LCP. Yeah it's off roster but they come up in the CG marketplace often. Plus you can wait until you get to WA.

If the DAO thing doesn't work for her a Glock 42 if she doesn't like recoil or a Glock 43 if she can handle a little.

For SAO. Sig P238
Old 01-04-2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
Ruger LCP. Yeah it's off roster but they come up in the CG marketplace often. Plus you can wait until you get to WA.

If the DAO thing doesn't work for her a Glock 42 if she doesn't like recoil or a Glock 43 if she can handle a little.

For SAO. Sig P238
Thank you for the advice.

NRA Member
Old 01-04-2019, 7:15 PM

NOTE: This post is in the Women's Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberPatriot View Post
Hello.

My girlfriend is a avid hiker and we are moving to Washington state soon, where she will be able to get a concealed carry permit.

Does anybody have recommendations for a small caliber pistol that's comfortable to hike with?

And also, What type of holster is good for easy access under a jacket.

Are Bra holsters any good?

Thank you for any help.

Hi Uber!

I'm glad to hear that your girlfriend is interested in a CCW. Plus, I love hiking too! I hike about once a week!

We receive these questions a lot here. You're going to get a lot of random people jumping in to say that she should get a: P238, Kahr, Glock, Ruger, revolver, yadda yadda yadda....

The answer is always the same - your girlfriend must go to a gun store, handle the various guns, rent a few candidiates to shoot them, and then pick one for herself. There's no way any of us would ever know what gun would best suit your girlfriend's hands, shooting ability, concealed carry position or personal preferences. Let her try out a few and she'll find one that she likes. This is hugely important.

There is no gun that's "good for hiking", per se. Some people want something small to conceal and some would actually prefer to carry a full-size while hiking. For example, to defend against wild animals. Now...when I went on a long hike in Arizona last year, I carried my Glock 42 in the front cargo pocket of my hiking pants. (For what it's worth, I have a G42 because I wanted a slim, single-stack CCW. The G43 was not released at the time and the Shield in 9mm was backordered.) The reason I did that is because I wanted to have a basic defense against human predators and wasn't so much concerned about wild animals. BUT, in some places, carrying a full-size weapon on your hip is completely acceptable and appropriate for back country hiking. It all kinda depends on where she's hiking and her personal preferences.

Carry holsters under jackets: again, this is a woman's personal preference and, unfortunately, there really aren't any holsters that are "meant for jackets". In general she should consider if she wants to carry outside the waistband, inside the waistband, appendix carry, cross draw, 3 o' clock, 5 o' clock, armpit, torso, bra, thigh or ankle. All of those preferences will guide her towards the most efficient CCW holster. If she's carrying outside the waistband at 3 o' clock, then concealing under a jacket will be a lot harder. Most women don't do that because our hips and desire for cute clothes get in the way. In my experience, most women choose to carry inside the waistband at either appendix or 5 o' clock position. The holster really is a matter of buying them until you find one that's comfortable and effective, We alllllll have that drawer full of holsters that we don't use. Am I right?!

I personally carry inside the waistband at the cross draw position. It's comfortable for me, conceals under most garments, and I can use a comfortable bellyband or sticky holster. Most importantly, I have a long arm and so it's easier for me to draw my weapon from that position. But that's ME. Other women like to carry outside at 3 o' clock or inside at 5 o'clock. Your girlfriend will need to figure out where she wants to stick that gun based on her body type, clothes, etc.

Finally, bra carry....with most of the women on this forum, our general consensus has been a big no on that. My bust isn't big enough to even get away with using a Flash Bang bra holster (LOL) and the women who do have ample busts do not like the idea of lasering their breast with the muzzle. That said, it could still be a viable option and I would not presume to tell another woman what she should or shouldn't do if that's the carry choice she wants and she's comfortable with taking that risk. There are women who DO use it, but I wouldn't if it were me.

So, in summary:

-- Let her try out a few weapons to find one that fits HER

-- Have her try out a few carry positions to see what works

-- Holsters under jackets....if the weapon is concealed, then they're all "under jackets"

-- Bra carry is not the best choice

Last edited by BadKitty; 01-04-2019 at 7:34 PM..
Old 01-04-2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
NOTE: This post is in the Women's Forum

Hi Uber!

I'm glad to hear that your girlfriend is interested in a CCW. Plus, I love hiking too! I hike about once a week!

We receive these questions a lot here. You're going to get a lot of random people jumping in to say that she should get a: P238, Kahr, Glock, Ruger, revolver, yadda yadda yadda....

The answer is always the same - your girlfriend must go to a gun store, handle the various guns, rent a few candidiates to shoot them, and then pick one for herself. There's no way any of us would ever know what gun would best suit your girlfriend's hands, shooting ability, concealed carry position or personal preferences. Let her try out a few and she'll find one that she likes. This is hugely important.

There is no gun that's "good for hiking", per se. Some people want something small to conceal and some would actually prefer to carry a full-size while hiking. For example, to defend against wild animals. Now...when I went on a long hike in Arizona last year, I carried my Glock 42 in the front cargo pocket of my hiking pants. (For what it's worth, I have a G42 because I wanted a slim, single-stack CCW. The G43 was not released at the time and the Shield in 9mm was backordered.) The reason I did that is because I wanted to have a basic defense against human predators and wasn't so much concerned about wild animals. BUT, in some places, carrying a full-size weapon on your hip is completely acceptable and appropriate for back country hiking. It all kinda depends on where she's hiking and her personal preferences.

Carry holsters under jackets: again, this is a woman's personal preference and, unfortunately, there really aren't any holsters that are "meant for jackets". In general she should consider if she wants to carry outside the waistband, inside the waistband, appendix carry, cross draw, 3 o' clock, 5 o' clock, armpit, torso, bra, thigh or ankle. All of those preferences will guide her towards the most efficient CCW holster. If she's carrying outside the waistband at 3 o' clock, then concealing under a jacket will be a lot harder. Most women don't do that because our hips and desire for cute clothes get in the way. In my experience, most women choose to carry inside the waistband at either appendix or 5 o' clock position. The holster really is a matter of buying them until you find one that's comfortable and effective, We alllllll have that drawer full of holsters that we don't use. Am I right?!

I personally carry inside the waistband at the cross draw position. It's comfortable for me, conceals under most garments, and I can use a comfortable bellyband or sticky holster. Most importantly, I have a long arm and so it's easier for me to draw my weapon from that position. But that's ME. Other women like to carry outside at 3 o' clock or inside at 5 o'clock. Your girlfriend will need to figure out where she wants to stick that gun based on her body type, clothes, etc.

Finally, bra carry....with most of the women on this forum, our general consensus has been a big no on that. My bust isn't big enough to even get away with using a Flash Bang bra holster (LOL) and the women who do have ample busts do not like the idea of lasering their breast with the muzzle. That said, it could still be a viable option and I would not presume to tell another woman what she should or shouldn't do if that's the carry choice she wants and she's comfortable with taking that risk. There are women who DO use it, but I wouldn't if it were me.

So, in summary:

-- Let her try out a few weapons to find one that fits HER

-- Have her try out a few carry positions to see what works

-- Holsters under jackets....if the weapon is concealed, then they're all "under jackets"

-- Bra carry is not the best choice
Great info, I'll share this with Alison.

She thinks cross draw will work for her, she also likes under the bra on the left.
(She's a right hand shooter)

I have a lc9 I could give her but that trigger pull, ugh.
She can't have my shield. No way.

NRA Member
Old 01-04-2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberPatriot View Post
Great info, I'll share this with Alison.

She thinks cross draw will work for her, she also likes under the bra on the left.
(She's a right hand shooter)
Cool! Please invite Alison to come visit the forum. We'd love to "meet" her!

Quote:
I have a lc9 I could give her but that trigger pull, ugh.
She can't have my shield. No way.
LOL....then she should have her own Shield!

Also, here's a fairly recent thread where we had some good discussion on carrying on the waist: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1478615
Old 01-04-2019, 8:00 PM

Thanks BadKitty.

NRA Member
Old 01-05-2019, 3:59 PM

Folks, it's just one woman's opinion, but I shudder at the idea of a new shooter carrying near her heart. I'm NOT new and I would NEVER do that. Other people disagree, but that's my not-so-humble-opinion.

Weirdly enough, Washington state does a shall-issue permit for concealed carry. But OPEN CARRY needs no permit, and anyone who can legally own a gun is allowed. So maybe we just put it in our pocket and make sure we print? Go figure.

Here's a link that tells all about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Washington

(Slightly OT, but I have a friend I visit in Washington pretty often and I make a point to do a casual-open-carry, just cause I can... It freaks some people out, which kinda makes me smile. The thing you have to worry about is NOT to conceal it.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 01-05-2019 at 4:05 PM..
Old 01-05-2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Folks, it's just one woman's opinion, but I shudder at the idea of a new shooter carrying near her heart. I'm NOT new and I would NEVER do that. Other people disagree, but that's my not-so-humble-opinion.

Weirdly enough, Washington state does a shall-issue permit for concealed carry. But OPEN CARRY needs no permit, and anyone who can legally own a gun is allowed. So maybe we just put it in our pocket and make sure we print? Go figure.

Here's a link that tells all about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Washington

(Slightly OT, but I have a friend I visit in Washington pretty often and I make a point to do a casual-open-carry, just cause I can... It freaks some people out, which kinda makes me smile. The thing you have to worry about is NOT to conceal it.
She is aware she can open carry while hiking but doesn't want to draw attention or freak out the neighbors while walking to the trailhead.

She has a SP101 in 357 mag and a nice leather holster, probably when she gets used to the area she might open carry.

NRA Member
Old 01-05-2019, 6:39 PM
CGSSA Associate

Don't make it an issue....JFC

Carry any way that's legal don't over think it.... It's been done for centuries......thank God!
Old 01-12-2019, 8:07 PM

Sig P365...and I have a G43 and had a Shield. Both good guns but the Sig is better. Hill people Gear and BlackPoint Tactical both make excellent chest rigs. I like open carry in places where animals are the primary threat (Glacier NP for instance). Concealed where people are the issue.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
Old 01-17-2019, 8:26 PM

Stump, you are NOT ALLOWED to advertise "for sale" stuff in the Womens forum or any other forum, except the 'for sale' ones. Fix your signature line or risk being banned....
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:35 AM

I’m not a woman, but I have a female friend who conceal carries a pistol regularly.

She utilizes a Kydex chest holster underneath her shirt (she wears two shirts) when out and about and a hill people gear snubby bag when hiking/running in the outdoors and when working out at the gym.

She doesn’t like hip carry as it’s not comfortable for her and she’s not a fan of off body carry.

She carries a range of small plastic compact pistols. (I think she’s using a baby Glock currently till she finds something else she likes) She’s a pretty good target shooter (better then me)

Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2019, 6:23 PM

I've been practicing running on the treadmill with various holsters in various positions while waiting for my CCW app to come back. I'm right handed and have a glock 19. I like carrying under my left breast in a belly band, and in the hollow of my hip (I think appendix) on my right side in a crossbreed belly band hybrid so far. They are secure enough for bouncing up and down (I'm a bouncy runner) with something as heavy as a loaded compact glock.