Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-08-2020, 7:51 PM

Default Slow internet speed. How to troubleshoot.

This past week, using my newer desktop PC, I'm getting 100Mbps download speed via an Ethernet connection. My tablet and laptop, using the same cable modem but via WiFi, are getting 200 Mbps (200Mbps is what I am paying for via Spectrum). I think the slowdown on the desktop PC occurred last week after a Windows 10 update.

Any suggestions on what file on my PC I should look at to see if it was tampered with after the Windows 10 update? The PC is otherwise working fine.

Follow up: Someone as technically challenged as myself said there is a file accessed through the Device Manager in Windows 10 that may have been changed during an update. This file can limit broadband speed. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).

Last edited by Bushwack44; 09-08-2020 at 7:58 PM..
Old 09-09-2020, 3:26 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't recall if a speed-test on 100MBps would yield a full 100MbPS, but I'd start with the wired LAN link speed in network adapter properties, are you connected at 100Mbps or do you have a 1Gbps link?

I have actually seen NICs auto-negotiate on long runs, or crappy cables at different link speeds between boots. I have a run that is less than 10 feet that won't go over 100Mbps right now, and it's solid copper Cat5, which usually works on short runs to 1Gbps.
Another cheap cable? It gets 1GBps.

Most of the time if a driver is suspect, due to a Windows update, one can roll back the driver to a prior version/release.
Old 09-09-2020, 6:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwack44 View Post
I think the slowdown on the desktop PC occurred last week after a Windows 10 update.

FOUND your problem!

FOUND your solution!

Old 09-09-2020, 6:32 AM

see if you can upgrade to fiber, Att 1000 for about 60. bucks, I think maybe even 50 bucks, they gave me a 100. bucks, getting over 900 wired and about 500 wireless, download used to take an hour takes about 15 min ...had to get a mesh for wireless, kids not yelling at me now
Old 09-09-2020, 6:38 AM

Why upgrade? Correct me if Iím wrong OP, but Iím assuming your desktop was seeing higher than Mbps before. If so, then the hardware was capable of higher speeds. And why shouldnít the hardware be capable of >100Mbps, which is pretty slow for an Ethernet-connected PC. Iím with the86. I would start checking all settings related to the LAN adapter properties.
Old 09-09-2020, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMtn View Post
Why upgrade? Correct me if Iím wrong OP, but Iím assuming your desktop was seeing higher than Mbps before. If so, then the hardware was capable of higher speeds. And why shouldnít the hardware be capable of >100Mbps, which is pretty slow for an Ethernet-connected PC. Iím with the86. I would start checking all settings related to the LAN adapter properties.
Yes, foolish post. He must still wear his pale green leisure suits from the 1970s.

I was getting 200+Mbps until about a week ago. It's now dropped to 100Mbps connected via Ethernet. All other devices get 200Mbps via wifi (cell phone, laptop, tablet. Laptop also gets 200Mbps connected via Ethernet).

Also went to DeviceManager-->NetworkAdapters-->RealTek PCI Controller-->Speed & Duplex. This was set to Auto Negotiation. I changed it to 1.0 Gbps but that didn't help (even after a re-boot of both PC and modem).

I know from past experiences, the PC and cable modem can exceed 400Mbps. I am 99% confident the issue is a setting within Windows 10. Most likely a Windows upgrade made a change as I wouldn't tamper with network settings unless they were superficial and/or easiy reversable.

I did look at the Newtwork properties and it shows Link Speed at 100/100 Mbps. I'm sure there's a way to change those numbers, just don't know how. I'm stumped.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:05 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I did look at the Newtwork properties and it shows Link Speed at 100/100 Mbps. I'm sure there's a way to change those numbers, just don't know how. I'm stumped.
Try moving the cable to a different switch port and/or power cycling the switch. The link should be 1Gb if your switch port and network card are both 1Gb. If your link is 100Mb then that is the problem and should be the focus of your efforts to resolve this. It could have been a driver update etc. If after power cycling your switch and your PC, and insuring your switch port is 1Gb, the link is still 100Mb, then I would look to either rollback the Win updates or seek out an updated NIC driver, or even an older but stable driver.

And a 100Mb link will not give 100Mb payload throughput so I am not sure what type of speed test you are using but that is another topic.

And to anyone telling me or themselves they have fiber - if you don't have a run of glass cable coming into your house, you don't have fiber. Fiber to the curb or neighborhood is not fiber to you. Most cable companies also have fiber to the neighborhood and can deliver 1Gb speed over copper to the home. ATT does not have a lock on fiber to the 'hood - they're just the only ones fooling customers with marketing it as fiber and then pulling a copper wire into the house

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-09-2020 at 10:14 AM..
Old 09-09-2020, 10:43 AM

Just had the same problem. I did what SkyHawk suggested. For some reason, that connection was only making a 10/100. After i cycled the port, it went hack to 1gig
Old 09-09-2020, 1:10 PM

Check with this:

https://fast.com/

Then check with your IP. 99% of problems, are on their end.
Old 09-09-2020, 1:45 PM

Problem solved.

I spent too much time troubleshooting (over 3 hours) and took the PC to a tech guy. He updated the driver manually for the network card (I updated the driver previously, allowing Microsoft to choose the updated driver). When allowing Microsoft to update the driver (controller), it did so for a version created in 2019, along with the provider being the card's manufacturer (Realtek). Updating it manually, the driver is from 2018, provided by Realtek, but it also states it was 'blessed' by Microsoft (MS adds their name to drivers they have tested).

So....updated the driver manually, reverted to an earlier version approved by MS, and now have 220-240Mbps using both speedtest.net and fast.com. $50 for 20 minutes and it was money well spent along with gaining some knowledge that...I may never use again :-) Tech guy did think it was MS who created this issue on an update from last April.

Old 09-09-2020, 3:02 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

So you rolled back the driver, which I also suggested But $50 isn't bad and hopefully you learned something - never change out a driver that isn't broken. If I had a dollar for every 'updated' driver that completely FUBARd a system, I'd be rich.

Old 09-09-2020, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
So you rolled back the driver, which I also suggested But $50 isn't bad and hopefully you learned something - never change out a driver that isn't broken. If I had a dollar for every 'updated' driver that completely FUBARd a system, I'd be rich.
What I learned (actually, reminded myself of), is if I can't make the fix after an hour, need to get a professional involved. Not that I don't mind the education. But as they say, time is money.

But...next project is to do away with the Ethernet cable and see what's involved into going wireless (PC came w/ wireless capability).

Old 09-10-2020, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

This is not the first time a newer network adapter driver caused this kind of problem. I've had similar issues in the past.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 09-10-2020, 9:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Starting steps

Power off modem and router- wait 5 min

Power on modem - wait until modem is back online. 5 min might have it grab a new IP address

Power up router

Check speed on a Cat5/6/6E connected device

If slow
Unplug cat cable from modem
Plug wires device into modem

Check speed again- this tells you if router is having an issue

If slow via hard wire to modem, call ISP

I have had carpet tacs pierce cable
I have had moisture get into connections

The ISP will test speed outside your home and at the modem.

If most devices slowed, it’s not a device software issue.

Election Virus- itís not Covid, itís not Rona- itís the Election Virus!

ďScience is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.Ē
ó Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 09-10-2020, 9:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Are you in a high density area where you see 5-25 other wifi names?

If it is the router that kills the speed
- update firmware
- try picking a new channel as others might be clogged by other devices.

Election Virus- itís not Covid, itís not Rona- itís the Election Virus!

ďScience is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.Ē
ó Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 09-14-2020, 4:37 PM

Always download newest drivers from manufacturer's websites. Do not leave it up to Microsoft to install their BS "universal" drivers.

You should now download the rest of the drivers like your chipset, gpu and audio drivers.
Old 09-14-2020, 9:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I usually try to keep a folder of original drivers on my windows machines. I've had way too many driver issues with windows before and don't like to rely on the manufacturer to provide old drivers for potentially out of production hardware years down the road.
Just something to consider.
Old 09-15-2020, 4:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodTurner View Post
I usually try to keep a folder of original drivers on my windows machines. I've had way too many driver issues with windows before and don't like to rely on the manufacturer to provide old drivers for potentially out of production hardware years down the road.
Just something to consider.
C:\Drivers\ is a nice thing to have...
Old 09-15-2020, 10:28 AM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

I am green with envy, for those with such high speed connectivity!

Using a Verizon Hot Spot for internet access on a Windows 7 computer way out here in the boonies, on a good day I have speeds such as this...

Old 09-15-2020, 10:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Slow internet speed. How to troubleshoot.

Ask for it by name.
Old 09-16-2020, 2:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
I am green with envy, for those with such high speed connectivity!

Using a Verizon Hot Spot for internet access on a Windows 7 computer way out here in the boonies, on a good day I have speeds such as this... ...
2.1Mbps?!?

Bruh, can you even stream,
Pr0nhub in HD?

Once FiOS was available, I made sure everywhere I lived/rented, and then the house I bought, had FiOS.
I live in a commie state, but at least I can REALLY-Internet...

You MIGHT need a 4g (or 5G?) Hotspot...
Oh, is your cap 25GB on your Hotspot?

Last edited by the86d; 09-16-2020 at 2:57 AM..
Old 09-16-2020, 3:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Speed only kills on the highway.

On the internet speed is of the essence.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 09-16-2020, 4:36 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
2.1Mbps?!?

Bruh, can you even stream,
Pr0nhub in HD?

Once FiOS was available, I made sure everywhere I lived/rented, and then the house I bought, had FiOS.
I live in a commie state, but at least I can REALLY-Internet...

You MIGHT need a 4g (or 5G?) Hotspot...
Oh, is your cap 25GB on your Hotspot?
The 4G Verizon Hotspot has a 15GB data cap... Then it is slower than molasses in January!

No live streaming of HD videos for me.

I download overnight and save videos off of you tube, and of course the adult ones also!

There are no fiber optic cables, cable TV, or any such critters for miles from my location. The only other alternate for so called high speed internet access would to be going to Satellite, and I have heard that it really SUX from others even further out in the sticks than I am.
Old 09-19-2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
This past week, using my newer desktop PC, I'm getting 100Mbps download speed via an Ethernet connection. My tablet and laptop, using the same cable modem but via WiFi, are getting 200 Mbps (200Mbps is what I am paying for via Spectrum). I think the slowdown on the desktop PC occurred last week after a Windows 10 update.

Any suggestions on what file on my PC I should look at to see if it was tampered with after the Windows 10 update? The PC is otherwise working fine.

Follow up: Someone as technically challenged as myself said there is a file accessed through the Device Manager in Windows 10 that may have been changed during an update. This file can limit broadband speed. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
How do you know you only can get 100 and the wifi gets 200? go to fast.com, or speedtest.net and see what it says there... If Ethernet is slow usually its the modem/Ethernet card only getting 100mbps. It might be that you only have an Ethernet card that supports that and not 1GB.
Old 09-19-2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
FOUND your problem!

FOUND your solution!

future identity and banking info victim! cheers!
Old 09-19-2020, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, foolish post. He must still wear his pale green leisure suits from the 1970s.

I was getting 200+Mbps until about a week ago. It's now dropped to 100Mbps connected via Ethernet. All other devices get 200Mbps via wifi (cell phone, laptop, tablet. Laptop also gets 200Mbps connected via Ethernet).

Also went to DeviceManager-->NetworkAdapters-->RealTek PCI Controller-->Speed & Duplex. This was set to Auto Negotiation. I changed it to 1.0 Gbps but that didn't help (even after a re-boot of both PC and modem).

I know from past experiences, the PC and cable modem can exceed 400Mbps. I am 99% confident the issue is a setting within Windows 10. Most likely a Windows upgrade made a change as I wouldn't tamper with network settings unless they were superficial and/or easiy reversable.

If the link speed is that means thats the max your ethernet can do! Can you post info about your desktop? Make and Model, or service tag if its a dell.
Old 09-19-2020, 9:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
The 4G Verizon Hotspot has a 15GB data cap... Then it is slower than molasses in January!

No live streaming of HD videos for me.

I download overnight and save videos off of you tube, and of course the adult ones also!

There are no fiber optic cables, cable TV, or any such critters for miles from my location. The only other alternate for so called high speed internet access would to be going to Satellite, and I have heard that it really SUX from others even further out in the sticks than I am.
If you only knew the joys of a Dainty Wilder... subscription on OnlyFANS.