Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-10-2019, 3:36 AM

Default Looking for complete AR15 in 22LR caliber

I'm looking for a complete AR15 in 22LR caliber. Some candidates come into my mind include Kriss Defiance DMK22C, CMMG resolute 200, Colt M4, and S&W M&P 15-22. I wonder what brand and model you guys would recommend based on quality, durability and accuracy. Thank you!

I've heard a lot good stuff about the M&P 15-22, but I'm just not very interested in polymer frame.

Another question, is the area where the buffer normally resides blocked off in 22lr version of all brands? e.g., dmk22c
I think M&P has the same style.
Old 02-10-2019, 3:52 AM

I wouldn’t get the m&p. If u ever wanted to change calibers you couldn’t. Instead buy a standard lower and then figure out what upper to get. Might cost u more but at least you would have options
Old 02-10-2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmrevolver View Post
I wouldn’t get the m&p. If u ever wanted to change calibers you couldn’t. Instead buy a standard lower and then figure out what upper to get. Might cost u more but at least you would have options
Would it be legal to have a standard lower + 22lr upper with all evil features on it, e.g., pistol grip and adjustable stock? I talked with two local dealers about the lower part. One said the buffer area has to be blocked. Otherwise, the owner is able to convert it into other centerfire caliber ...

Any suggestion? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2019, 3:49 PM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

What is wrong with polymer lower? Its a 22lr... nothing high powered. And I've yet to read about polymer being a problem on the MP 15-22.

With regards to your question, you can definitely run your rimfire rifle fully featured with detachable magazine and adjustable stock. The problem you will run into is if you try to have multiple uppers on a shared lower... then you will probably need to figure out how to stay in compliance with current AW regulations. Rimfire rifles are exempt from CA AW regulations, but as soon as you install a 223/556 upper, you will have issues.
Old 02-10-2019, 5:26 PM

I have 15-22 and it is a great rifle. I have yet to have one failure on it with bulk ammo. I clean it every 2 trips to the range and go thorough about 500 rounds each trip.

Highly recommended it
Old 02-10-2019, 5:34 PM

I’ve been running a CMMG conversion with a Freedom kit on a standard lower ( which can easily be removed). Works great and can go from.22 to 223 without issue.

Get involved, let's fix these 2nd Amendment misunderstandings.

It's not the size of your gun that counts, only the fun factor...
Old 02-10-2019, 5:34 PM

Now days buying a mil spec lower its going to get registered as 223/556 unless you get one of the few stamped "multi". Years back I was able to get one unstamped caliber and one stamped 22LR but DROS was only long gun then anyways.
Now days going with one of the non-mil spec 22LR only would avoid any risk of noncompliance.
Old 02-10-2019, 5:41 PM

I have a S&W M&P 15-22 and like it. No issues for me except it is "no Bueno" for Appleseed.

I have a dedicated .22 PSA upper on a standard AR lower. I like it better.

On the first couple of pages of the Rimfire Forum there are at least 4 - 6 postings about dedicated AR 22 rifle vs dedicated upper only vs CMMG conversion, etc. Also note discussions about possible legality questions. IMHO it is worth your time to read them BEFORE making your purchasing decisions. All are viable candidates but like most things related to firearms can have different feel and usage components that have to be evaluated in the context of "what works or is right for you."

Good luck on your travel through the .22 cal looking glass

ARFrog

Last edited by ARFrog; 02-10-2019 at 7:58 PM..
Old 02-10-2019, 6:04 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
What is wrong with polymer lower? Its a 22lr... nothing high powered. And I've yet to read about polymer being a problem on the MP 15-22.
The concerns regarding the polymer framed 15-22 lower are valid. That model is OK for the casual "shooter class" of people who will handle it gingerly and shoot it occasionally at an indoor range.

Most folks in the "operator class" like myself would not have much use for such a firearm. Indoor AND outdoor shooting, rough handling, and extremely high round counts (1800 - 2000 rounds in a single year!) and that thing would be toast if subjected to such insane operational demands. But I do acknowledge it could be useful for the weekend plinker types.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:27 AM

Thank you all for the suggestion! I'll start reading previous postings before I make my decision. Probably, I will have more questions to ask.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ar15 lower is multi caliber

Get a dedicated 22lr upper. It uses a hybrid bcg, and a 22lr. Barrel. No spring or buffer, unless you keep it for weight. I also run a taccom plug. I have the boonie packer better mag adapter to run s&w mp15-22 mags.

There are no issues with legality

It is not, what it isn't

Some people may trip, but some people wear tin hats and are afraid to leave their parents basements too

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

I love my 15-22

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 02-12-2019, 9:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I've had the Colt M4 for several years, it's a good shooter. Cleaning it is a PITA. I prefer my 5.56 with a conversion bolt.
Old 02-12-2019, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
Ar15 lower is multi caliber

Get a dedicated 22lr upper. It uses a hybrid bcg, and a 22lr. Barrel. No spring or buffer, unless you keep it for weight. I also run a taccom plug. I have the boonie packer better mag adapter to run s&w mp15-22 mags.

There are no issues with legality

It is not, what it isn't

Some people may trip, but some people wear tin hats and are afraid to leave their parents basements too

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Curious how you run the taccom plug with out the spring and buffer. I thought the thats what keeps tension on the plug?
Old 02-12-2019, 1:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Dedicated .22LR AR. I run a TacSol upper.

Just snap the .22 upper onto ANY standard lower, and you're GTG. By the same token, if the poop impacts the rotating oscillator, you can pop the .22 upper off, and pop a 5.56 upper on, and you're GTG! No changes, no tool - pop the pins, and you're changed over in seconds!
Old 02-15-2019, 1:06 PM
VETERAN
CGN Contributor

I have the the:

***NORDIC NC-22LR 22LR 16 DEDICATED 22RB UPPER***

The 22RB’s match-grade barrel comes prepared to accept a suppressor – the barrel threads are cut to the proper spec for most popular .22 suppressors, and has a machined tenon to accommodate the O-rings found on certain suppressor models.

Upper:
• 1-16 twist match barrel
• A2 flash suppressor
• Aluminum slim diameter hand guard
• Aluminum upper
• Stainless steel bolt

Absolutely flawless, just slap onto a standard AR Lower or if you can find one: a complete rifle. Accurate beyond my capabilities and exactly the same mechanics as a standard AR Rifle.