Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:18 AM

Default Suggestions for first holster, Shield, I'm a slim guy

I'm almost 6' and about 150 pounds, I dress very casual, 99% of the time I am in a pair of slim fitting shorts and a tshirt. Brand new to CCW and I've heard my first gun/holster won't be my last so I am OK trying things out but would like to start with something that is on the cheaper side since I might change. I am guessing I will carry AIW or possibly IWB on my strong side I dunno, I have a feeling I am going to print. Don't think I am going to carry a spare mag at the moment?

Appreciate your recommendations.
Old 08-10-2020, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

With a Shield, a Sticky holster works absolutely fine....or if you want a small belt clip for some peace of mind, the AlienGear Grip Tuck is like a Sticky-with-a-clip.

Simple, effective, inexpensive, conceals well, more comfortable than hard Kydex.....grab-n-go

The Shield is a small gun, you don’t need a bigazz holster

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 08-11-2020, 12:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Welcome to the world of CCW! Congrats on the permit!

There's a couple schools of thought while you're trying to figure out your first holster/carry method. One is to go cheap for the first holsters while you're trying to get things sorted. The potential problem here is that cheaper holsters can suck and they can be the reason that a position isn't working out for you.

The second option...and the one I usually recommend...is to pick your most common gun (Shields are VERY common so no problems there). Then buy a quality holster from one of the better/well known holster makers. In this manner you shouldn't have too difficult of a time selling that holster if things don't work out for you.

If you're thinking about AIWB, JM Custom makes an excellent appendix holster. Look at their AIWB-WC holster and variants. Or if you're thinking about an appendix holster with an attached mag carrier (sidecar), look at Tier 1 Concealed. Both of these makers are very well known and very well respected. You shouldn't have too many problems selling a Shield holster from them if it doesn't workout for you.

Also note that a quality, purpose built, gun belt can make all the difference in the world when it comes to carrying. Don't skimp on the belt.

Lastly consider one of the primary reasons to carry a backup mag, isn't for more ammo, although that is certainly a plus. But mags can and do fail. If your mag dies on you, you're screwed.

Good luck and let us know where you have questions.

Fighter Pilot
Old 08-16-2020, 3:03 PM

I'm 6' 0" and 165ish. I used to be 155ish pre-pandemic.

In my experience, Vedder light tucks are the best holsters. The low profile metal clip prints significantly less than the wide, thick standard plastic clips. The bottom of the metal clip has a slightly lower profile than plastic clips, and the top of the clip stays completley flush with a belt or waistband.

I wear mine with maximum cant and at the 2 o'clock position, just in front of my hipbone. Because of the short barrel, the rear of the slide tends to cant away from my stomach if I wear it appendix, exaggerating my belly profile. Wearing further off of your centerline helps slim your side profile while not projecting past your ribcage when viewed from the front. I use this same trick to IWB a large frame Glock. I purchased the claw option for the both vedder holsters I own, but don't use them on either. They cause the belt to push out more and cause the holster to actually print. Using the holster with the claw is noticeably more uncomfortable. Maybe it's just me, but I think our slim frames let us get away with alot.

Having adjustable cant is a nice option. What's strange is that the holster rides lower on the waistband but the grip of the gun seems to be higher and more accessible when compared to other holsters I've owned.

My second choice would be CYA holsters. They are good holsters for the price. I didn't like bravo concealment or tier 1 holsters. Both Vedder and CYA holsters are comfortable for all day wear with the shield, in and out of the car.

I never wear a gun belt as part of my EDC, only when I go to the range or if I'm on a short hike in which case I rotate to the 4 o'clock carry position. I think belts that conform to our slim frame helps hide an IWB holster better. We don't have alot of stuff going on around our midsection that we need a stiff belt to maintain control of. We just need something to hang the holster off of. I've bought three belts and have given two of them away. My good old leather work belt works fine for me. Since I've began CC I've adjusted to wearing my pants higher on the waist, where pants are intended to be worn. This made a big difference in how comfortable daily carry is.

Carry a back up magazine. It's hardly noticable when worn correctly. I use a NeoMag in my rear pocket is part of my EDC and a Vedder MagTuck when I have to carry my spare mag IWB.

Last edited by Grey_Man; 08-16-2020 at 4:46 PM..
Old 08-31-2020, 4:13 PM

I am a much shorter woman. I also carry a shield. I can not carry strong side. I print like crazy, I am just too small, even with the Shield.
For appendix I also have to offset to slightly right of center and I only use holsters with clips that are recessed into the trigger guard area, NOT stuck on the back of the slide area which just adds to bulk. The one I like is from the Well Armed Woman line...but a few others make similar styles. I know M-K tech does one but I have not tried it.
Old 08-31-2020, 6:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up

IWB.

Works BETTER for you skinny guys.
Old 09-03-2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer80 View Post
I am a much shorter woman. I also carry a shield. I can not carry strong side. I print like crazy, I am just too small, even with the Shield.
For appendix I also have to offset to slightly right of center and I only use holsters with clips that are recessed into the trigger guard area, NOT stuck on the back of the slide area which just adds to bulk. The one I like is from the Well Armed Woman line...but a few others make similar styles. I know M-K tech does one but I have not tried it.
Try the design from bravoconcealment, it puts the clips on the side "wings" of the holster where they are slightly recessed. The 2 clip design really helps keep the holster from flopping around and canting as well. The holster is slightly curved too which helps wrap around your body. They also have adjustable retention which many plain kydex holsters seem to lack. You really can't beat them for the price and they have a lifetime warranty

https://www.bravoconcealment.com/col...bundle-iwb-iwb
Old 09-09-2020, 6:15 PM

I have a drawer full of holster ended up using sticky holster for my shield. Most comfortable and it doesn't print.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2020, 10:44 PM

NeoMAG and CYA. Work great for me. Havent had any reason to look for anything better.
Old 09-21-2020, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

I wear a crossbreed microtuk for 10 years. I did customize a bit for a "combat cut " so you can get a full grip first touch when pulling out.

Im 5'11" 185lbs

Mine is so old they have updated it- no cutting necessary and it now has 2 clips. I still use just one large clip.
https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/h...g-holster.html

2x SKS Trench Art $480 & $500
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post28101198
Old 09-26-2020, 11:46 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiccioC View Post
NeoMAG and CYA. Work great for me. Havent had any reason to look for anything better.
A other vouch for CYA!

I have more than one box full of various holsters (various guns, various holster manufacturers)... most are leather...

I used to carry a Sig P938 daily - and used a kydex holster branded by Sig (not sure who makes it though)...

With current social atmosphere, I decided the 938 wasn't enough, so started carrying HK USPc 40... the only IWB holsters I have/had for it were leather... since I became so used to the 938 kydex holster, I set out to find one for the USPc

I ordered a N8Tactical (still waiting for it) and stumbled upon CYA (on Amazon of all places)... received the CYA and LOVE THE THING!!! been carrying the USPc with CYA daily.

I like it so much, i just ordered one for M&P Shield.

The cant is perfect, the mold is great - I really like that it covers mag release (so many dont for some reason), the sweat shield is great, retention is outstanding with positive click - holster is VERY comfortable!

And the price! WoW! I've spent hundreds on holsters (alien gear, compact, etc) - and favor this thing over all of them. It is half the price (or less) than many/most others.

I highly recommend CYA holsters. I typically don't rave about producs - but the price, quality, design of this holster warrants the praise - and compelled me to post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Old 11-19-2020, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiccioC View Post
Do you wear a belt with the CYA
Old 11-24-2020, 8:43 PM

Holsters are pretty personal, like bicycle saddles. Hate to say so, but what works for this guy or that other guy may not work for you. This is why so many will comment "I have a box of holsters..."

I am also located in Orange County and typically vary my holster depending on the weather and what kind of cover garment I can make work. In warmer months, I do something different than cooler months. OWB is often more comfortable than IWB, but I am not a fan of AIWB, though some swear by it, like this LEO:

I don't mind buying cheap and used if I can learn something from it. But for IWB I favor Vedder Light Tuck (adjustable cant, winner winner), and for OWB I favor high-quality leather.

There is no solution other than experimentation. Everything has costs and benefits and trade-offs. BTW, NexBelt > Hanks or other traditional leather gunbelts.

Last edited by socal m1 shooter; 11-24-2020 at 8:46 PM..
Old 11-24-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user01394 View Post
Do you wear a belt with the CYA
Yes. De Santis. Been wearing it daily for years. Still holds its shape.
Old 11-29-2020, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
Your post is like a Greatest Hits of crappy, cheap holsters.

Buy once, cry once. Cheap holsters are cheap for a reason.

https://tenicor.com/products/velo-ge...olster-for-m-p

Well, he has no clue what he wants, he wears mostly shorts/T-shirts, he wants cheaper, and it’s for a single-stack Shield.....that’s all he needs. Yeah, greatest hits of cheap holsters means they work.

There is no reason to shop $100 holsters for a skinny Shield, which is barely above pocket pistol level

Your post reads of someone who has reading comprehension problems

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020

Last edited by Erion929; 11-29-2020 at 7:08 PM..
Old 12-01-2020, 9:01 PM

So I bought a Vedder and I have another hybrid one, so far I don't like either. I think I need to mess around more with the Vedder cant/location and maybe without the claw
Old 12-03-2020, 4:20 PM

Again, what works for thee may not work for me, and vice-versa, but I usually go IWB around 4:00 with a Vedder Light Tuck, compact Glock or subcompact H&K, NexBelt to get maximal comfort. I will admit, at first, with a conventional leather (Hanks) belt, kind of annoying, particularly after many hours, in part because the belt is either a wee bit too tight or a wee bit too loose. After switching to the 1/4" adjustability of the NexBelt, it became vastly more comfortable.

Maximum forward cant = increased concealability, even with larger-framed pistols, and over time, you get used to it. Carry around the home in the same manner and you can accelerate the acclimation process with whatever rig you use.
Old 12-03-2020, 6:37 PM

Try a Key Brand Gear AIWB. Get the wedge and Pull the Dot loops. You can convert it to strong side carry.
Old 02-06-2021, 1:15 PM

Blackpoint Tactical Mini-Wing, Vedder, or Outside The Grid (OTG) Concepts.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2