Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 06-22-2020, 5:43 PM

Default Best Car Safe?

Hello,
I just received my CCW and I'm interested in purchasing a safe to stow it in my vehicle however i am not sure which option is best suited for a truck? I located a brand "Locker" that seems to make a decent center console safe.. Has anyone tried this brand? Is there another brand you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2020, 6:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you have a vehicle that LEO uses then console vault will make an option to install into your center console.

If not find one that you can secure into the frame/ body of the vehicle... and a place where you can access it while secured...

If leaving a firearm in the car, CA has some newer laws on storage.... The old days of a lock box and a cable through the seat frame might not be legal anymore

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-22-2020, 6:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Senate Bill No. 1382
CHAPTER 94

An act to amend Section 25140 of the Penal Code, relating to firearms.

[ Approved by Governor July 09, 2018. Filed with Secretary of State July 09, 2018. ]

LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST

SB 1382, Vidak. Firearms: vehicle storage.
Existing law requires a person, when leaving a handgun in an unattended vehicle, to lock the handgun in the vehicle’s trunk, lock the handgun in a locked container and place the container out of plain view, or lock the handgun in a locked container that is permanently affixed to the vehicle’s interior and not in plain view.
This bill would additionally authorize locking the handgun in a toolbox or utility box. The bill would define “toolbox or utility box” as a fully enclosed container that is permanently affixed to the bed of a pickup truck or vehicle that does not contain a trunk, and is locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or other similar locking device.
DIGEST KEY
Vote: majority Appropriation: no Fiscal Committee: no Local Program: no
BILL TEXT
THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1. Section 25140 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
25140. (a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (b), a person shall, when leaving a handgun in an unattended vehicle, lock the handgun in the vehicle’s trunk, lock the handgun in a locked container and place the container out of plain view, lock the handgun in a locked container that is permanently affixed to the vehicle’s interior and not in plain view, or lock the handgun in a locked toolbox or utility box.
(b) A peace officer, when leaving a handgun in an unattended vehicle not equipped with a trunk, may, if unable to otherwise comply with subdivision (a), lock the handgun out of plain view within the center utility console of that motor vehicle with a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or other similar locking device.
(c) A violation of subdivision (a) is an infraction punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000).
(d) (1) As used in this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(A) “Locked container” means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar locking device. The term “locked container” does not include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle.
(B) “Locked toolbox or utility box” means a fully enclosed container that is permanently affixed to the bed of a pickup truck or vehicle that does not contain a trunk, and is locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or other similar locking device.
(C) “Peace officer” means a sworn officer described in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or a sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of that officer’s duties, while that officer is on duty or off duty.
(D) “Trunk” means the fully enclosed and locked main storage or luggage compartment of a vehicle that is not accessible from the passenger compartment. A trunk does not include the rear of a hatchback, station wagon, or sport utility vehicle, any compartment which has a window, or a toolbox or utility box attached to the bed of a pickup truck.
(E) “Vehicle” has the same meaning as specified in Section 670 of the Vehicle Code.
(2) For purposes of this section, a vehicle is unattended when a person who is lawfully carrying or transporting a handgun in a vehicle is not within close enough proximity to the vehicle to reasonably prevent unauthorized access to the vehicle or its contents.
(3) For purposes of this section, plain view includes any area of the vehicle that is visible by peering through the windows of the vehicle, including windows that are tinted, with or without illumination.
(e) This section does not apply to a peace officer during circumstances requiring immediate aid or action that are within the course of his or her official duties.
(f) This section does not supersede any local ordinance that regulates the storage of handguns in unattended vehicles if the ordinance was in effect before September 26, 2016.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-22-2020, 6:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

https://www.consolevault.com/

(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-22-2020, 6:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

https://smile.amazon.com/Fort-Knox-H...880281&sr=8-14

Fort Knox PB1 Handgun Safe with 13.5 Inch Dean Safe Pistol Sock
by Fort Knox

(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-22-2020, 6:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation

Button on the left.

You GOTTA keep the doors locked AT ALL TIMES. That's your first line of defense.
Old 06-22-2020, 8:11 PM

I used this safe and secured the cable below the drivers seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FD44DF58-EBE3-4743-B42C-CA008335674B.jpg (8.8 KB, 327 views)
Old 06-22-2020, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Hunter View Post
I used this safe and secured the cable below the drivers seat.
Is this still legal? Did the law change so you cant do this anymore?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TONRU9S#Ask

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 06-22-2020 at 8:29 PM..
Old 06-22-2020, 8:33 PM

I wanted to permanently mount one in my trunk, this is the only one that fit. I like it:

https://vaulteksafe.com/products/vaultek-10-series/
Old 06-22-2020, 11:16 PM
Calguns Addict

If you mean Locker Down they're supposed to be good products but I don't own one. Console Vault is another good one.

A center console box is probably the most convenient and probably more secure than stringing a cable through a seat bracket.

Give some thought to the size that you need. My current box will only fit my handgun and not the holster with it.

Fighter Pilot
Old 06-23-2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
This ^
Old 07-11-2020, 10:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
Is this still legal? Did the law change so you cant do this anymore?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TONRU9S#Ask

I use a lockbox almost identical to this for storing my CCW when I go into places I'm prohibited from carrying. The cable is secured to a seat. It's still lawful to use this method in Ca.

I do want to get a Locker down console lock box. Something like that would be tougher to breach than the cheap-o box I have.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulerrr View Post
I use a lockbox almost identical to this for storing my CCW when I go into places I'm prohibited from carrying. The cable is secured to a seat. It's still lawful to use this method in Ca.

I do want to get a Locker down console lock box. Something like that would be tougher to breach than the cheap-o box I have.
Yeah, I think its still legal as long as it is not visible.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:39 AM

https://www.hornadysecurity.com/rapi...ehicle-safe#!/

Huge fan of this one. I have a shrink wrapped brand new one I can sell for 150.
Old 07-11-2020, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Hornady Rapid Safe, the KP2600....very solid, notably heavier steel than the basic portable ones. Put it in my large Tundra truck center console and still leaves plenty of room for other stuff.

Has RFID stickers, wrist band, key fob, and a key....different ways to open.

Website says $200+....I got mine for ~$120-ish.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 07-11-2020, 1:32 PM
Calguns Addict

I like V-Line and Fort Knox pistol boxes but don’t think they sell a cable. I’m sure you could probably make something and use one of the holes on the bottom?

Otherwise, I’d recommend a combo lock box with cable. Lock your car and have an alarm on it and/or dash camera. I’m not a fan of electronic locks.
Old 07-11-2020, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftone View Post
This ^
Wish they made one for my car.
Old 08-16-2020, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday View Post
I wanted to permanently mount one in my trunk, this is the only one that fit. I like it:

https://vaulteksafe.com/products/vaultek-10-series/
I have a couple of the biometric Vaultek lock boxes and they are very good. They reliably read my print quickly and without fail.. takes 2 seconds to access your gun
Old 08-16-2020, 9:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
^^^^this^^^^
I have one for my Outback, fits perfect, well built. Looks factory.
Old 08-16-2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
I wanted one of those, but they don't fit my little car! Oh well, I like the one that I got.
Old 09-06-2020, 9:39 AM

I have a Locker Down safe in my truck. The safe is USA and very well made. Perfect fit and would take someone hours to break into it. I got the added layer of metal on the top, and the digital keypad.
Old 02-11-2021, 9:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee

Anyone have an idea for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I like the center console vault that I saw, however, I have a CD player installed in mine, so I'm wondering if there is another option besides the glove compartment. I have motorized seats so under the driver seat is not an option.

One of the best gifts my husband (Cannon) gave me, was the appreciation of firearms. The other of course was himself. RIP my love. Always in my heart.
Old 02-12-2021, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crkwolf View Post
Anyone have an idea for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I like the center console vault that I saw, however, I have a CD player installed in mine, so I'm wondering if there is another option besides the glove compartment. I have motorized seats so under the driver seat is not an option.
The safes are small enough one should fit under the seat. The one I bought fits under the drivers seat in my BMW.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-13-2021, 9:07 AM

7Ga steel if your console is big enough in your vehicle. Otherwise you can mount it in the rear/trunk area.

FAS1 SAFE

Last edited by FAS1; 02-13-2021 at 11:46 AM..
Old 02-14-2021, 6:07 AM

I use a console vault

Easy to store and retrieve from the driver's seat without digging under the seat or in the back of the vehicle.

Bolts to the floor of the truck and is completely hidden.

And that is the only thing I store in there. Pistol, extra mag and about 40 bucks cash in case I need something quick.
Old 02-14-2021, 6:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
7Ga steel if your console is big enough in your vehicle. Otherwise you can mount it in the rear/trunk area.
I really wish the console was an option for me. I'll relook at the back area, but I'm more exposed putting a gun back there if I can't carry at a particular location. I may be able to put something under the driver's seat but it would have to face the backseat.

One of the best gifts my husband (Cannon) gave me, was the appreciation of firearms. The other of course was himself. RIP my love. Always in my heart.

Last edited by Crkwolf; 02-14-2021 at 6:49 PM.. Reason: Picture was not necessary for the quote.
Old 03-30-2021, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czakita View Post
These are some great car storage options. Does anyone else use the Fas1? Leaning towards that one the most. Can anyone else share what else they use? Thanks.
I bought this (Hornady Lockbox):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-01-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulerrr View Post

Breaking into a lockbox, minutes. Stealing your car or truck - seconds. They break into your vehicle, disable the alarm and are going to sit there trying to breach a lockbox? If they want to deal with the box and steal the gun they'll just steal the car or truck. Thieves usually break into a car to steal what they can see, not what they don't know is there.

That box you have works just fine.

Read about the guns taken from unmarked LE vehicles. Many were stored in bags, backpacks and maybe stored in the trunk or hatchback. The thief probably didn't even know what was inside, they just took the bag and ran.

Get a good vehicle alarm with remote notice. A decent box will stop the window smash and grab thieves, anyone else and it won't matter.

Last edited by SharedShots; 04-01-2021 at 12:23 PM..
Old 04-02-2021, 8:54 AM

Any safe or handgun safe just buys you time. That time is relevant to how well constructed they are. All are not in the same category, just like other security measures. Spend your money wisely and use common sense when implementing security measures. There are many things that just make you feel like you are doing something when they actually do very little to deter a thief.

FAS1 SAFE
Old 04-03-2021, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
Breaking into a lockbox, minutes. Stealing your car or truck - seconds. They break into your vehicle, disable the alarm and are going to sit there trying to breach a lockbox? If they want to deal with the box and steal the gun they'll just steal the car or truck. Thieves usually break into a car to steal what they can see, not what they don't know is there.

That box you have works just fine.

Read about the guns taken from unmarked LE vehicles. Many were stored in bags, backpacks and maybe stored in the trunk or hatchback. The thief probably didn't even know what was inside, they just took the bag and ran.

Get a good vehicle alarm with remote notice. A decent box will stop the window smash and grab thieves, anyone else and it won't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
Any safe or handgun safe just buys you time. That time is relevant to how well constructed they are. All are not in the same category, just like other security measures. Spend your money wisely and use common sense when implementing security measures. There are many things that just make you feel like you are doing something when they actually do very little to deter a thief.
I've got mine secured by the cable in the trunk. Out of sight from prying eyes.
Old 04-05-2021, 9:07 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Vaultek-Biome.../dp/B01LY908Y4