Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 06-04-2020, 7:53 PM

Default Did you buy a new wallet for this HUGE CCW card?

Where do you carry your CCW license? Did you buy a new bigger wallet, if so what wallet will it fit in? I guess I could just fold the card but I rather not.

What a huge card....!
Old 06-04-2020, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Didn’t they give you an ID sized card and a printed DOJ sheet?

iTrader
Old 06-04-2020, 7:55 PM
Veteran Member

How big is the card?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2020, 8:10 PM

It’s 2.5”x 4”, I received the initial which is a folded paper than laminated. I hear they are issuing the credit card size ones now. I didn’t get one and I picked mine up a few days ago. They may be issuing the Credit card size one to subsequent renewals, not sure.
Old 06-04-2020, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on the card!
Old 06-04-2020, 8:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Reminded me of the old Z-card.
Old 06-04-2020, 8:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Scan it
Keep a copy in phone and web based email. I would scan all documents and keep them. Password protect the pdf in the email.

Laminate and fold

Why keep a digital copy- in my area they might detain a CCW holder until they can verify it is legit. Get stopped in Gardena on a Friday night and LEO consider holding you, you have full paperwork to go with your laminated CHL

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)

Last edited by hermosabeach; 06-04-2020 at 8:32 PM..
Old 06-04-2020, 8:33 PM

credit card size -I wish. this thing is a bear to fold Nd fit in my slim size wallets. had to remove a few items and stretch the leather. maybe a neck loop like was popular for work badges a couple decades ago. And if it is trimmed, even a little, it is voided. nutty. NV, AZ and FL are standard DL ID size. Just one more Californication mess.

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 06-04-2020, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56Geo View Post
Where do you carry your CCW license? Did you buy a new bigger wallet, if so what wallet will it fit in? I guess I could just fold the card but I rather not.

What a huge card....!
It's a good problem to have.

In my county, the CCW license is the size of a credit card.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:57 PM

Orange County issues a card with a picture and a sheet with your license information on it without a picture. You the card or you can carry the printed license along with a photo ID.

The reason I do this is the card only shows the first five firearms on your permit. So if you have more than 5 firearms you have to carry the extra license too.

I scanned mine, shrunk it down a little bit and laminated it. It was still about twice as big as a card so I was able just to fold it in half and it fits perfectly in my wallet.
Old 06-05-2020, 5:13 AM

Well, I may have figured out how to carry it. It fits in my cell phone case (Otter Box). I also made a copy and reducing it to 80%, now its credit card size. I will now laminate it and carry that in my wallet. I do carry my phone as well. Thanks guys.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:40 AM
Calguns Addict

This wallet will hold it. At least mine does but it's really close. My wallet is also five years old but I assume the new one is dimensionally the same. It's a great wallet btw.

https://www.bigskinny.net/leather-hybrid-trifold.html

Alternatively you could call them and see if they'll let you come in and issue you a new card...assuming they are actually smaller.

I would also be careful about the advice to scan it and keep it on your phone. To the best of my knowledge, that has not been approved by the Sheriff...or if it has, please enlighten me.

But so far as I understand, we are meant to carry the actual, real physical card...so that it can be surrendered if law enforcement demands. You can't surrender a scanned electronic copy and you can't surrender a shrunken down copy of the original that you made. You may want to check with the sheriff's office before you do this. And please let us know what they say if you do.

Fighter Pilot

Last edited by L84CABO; 06-07-2020 at 12:43 AM..
Old 06-07-2020, 2:53 AM

Mine is just a paper something like 4x4 inches folded twice and sits between my DL and Credit card.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 06-07-2020, 2:54 AM

Cut a hole in it, get a lanyard and wear it around your neck lol.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 06-07-2020, 12:34 PM

San Diego County, Sheriff clerk folded and laminated mine; slightly larger than credit card size, about 2.5”x3.7”.
Still fits my wallet but just not on credit card sleeves.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:45 PM

The Sac Sheriff noticed I folded mine in half, so he ran it through the laminator a second time to help flatten it. No need for a special wallet.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

In Sacramento they fold it then laminate it, I then cut the excess edges off the lamination.
Old 06-07-2020, 6:30 PM

I bought this Yuhan Pretty leathery wallet with RFID for $13.99 From Amazon. It fit perfect, link below.

For those of you in San Diego County this wallet will work without having to fold the CCW license. I just realized There is no standard size CCW license throughout each of California counties.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyways, thanks for all the help guys.
Old 06-07-2020, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Mine is just a paper something like 4x4 inches folded twice and sits between my DL and Credit card.
^ this
Old 06-08-2020, 7:29 AM

Quote:

What a huge card....!
Laminated at FedEx and had them cut the edges to a common business card
It was something like 4 bucks.
Old 06-12-2020, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

I was given both drivers-license-style and the printed one. I asked if I needed to carry both and was told the printed one was the only statewide "official" one. So that's what I carry. Not sure what the drivers-license-style one is good for then.

I was pulled over by CHP once (outside my county) and gave the officer the printed one with my DL. Not sure what would have happened if I only had the drivers-license-style one on me.

Long story but along with my wife I had a stranger (car sales guy) in the car and the CHP was sensitive to the situation and was pretty discreet upon receiving an unexpected additional card. Looked at it... "Are you....? I'll be right back... Have a nice day."
Old 02-11-2021, 8:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Be careful of duplicating the permit. For Kern County, under the "Conditions of CCW permit", it states in red, "Shall not Duplicate the CCW permit under any circumstances.

Would hate for something like that to be the reason a license get suspended or revoked.

One of the best gifts my husband (Cannon) gave me, was the appreciation of firearms. The other of course was himself. RIP my love. Always in my heart.
Old 02-11-2021, 9:09 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
I was given both drivers-license-style and the printed one. I asked if I needed to carry both and was told the printed one was the only statewide "official" one. So that's what I carry. Not sure what the drivers-license-style one is good for then.

I was pulled over by CHP once (outside my county) and gave the officer the printed one with my DL. Not sure what would have happened if I only had the drivers-license-style one on me.

Long story but along with my wife I had a stranger (car sales guy) in the car and the CHP was sensitive to the situation and was pretty discreet upon receiving an unexpected additional card. Looked at it... "Are you....? I'll be right back... Have a nice day."
But did you get a ticket?? Cmon don't leave us hanging

Old 02-11-2021, 9:37 AM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Mendocino County Sheriff Dept. and District Attorney have agreed; allow CCW holders to photo copy the original, used the copy to fold so there is a front and back, then laminate, and keep the original in a safe place at home.

Been doing this since 2003
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel
Old 03-28-2021, 12:08 PM

Default new wallets

Went to a store at the local outlet mall. It may have been Wilsons Leather.
They carry all leather items with a good selection of wallets.
It took a little while to find a wallet with a big enough slot for the laminated Sacramento permit. but found one that was cost effective and has kept my
permit safe and without "dog ears"
Old 03-28-2021, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

For San Diego...
I had a change to make on mine and when I picked it up I asked when the plastic card would be the real one and same answer as last year.... Nobody knows when the DOJ will approve it. I just fold the paper one up nicely and sandwich it between the plastic card and my AZ CCW.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 03-28-2021, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZirconJohn View Post
Mendocino County Sheriff Dept. and District Attorney have agreed; allow CCW holders to photo copy the original, used the copy to fold so there is a front and back, then laminate, and keep the original in a safe place at home.

Been doing this since 2003
The problem with this is that it's great for Mendocino but if you ever get stopped outside your county, it's going to be a crapshoot if the officer will accept it.

Fighter Pilot
Old 03-29-2021, 4:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
The problem with this is that it's great for Mendocino but if you ever get stopped outside your county, it's going to be a crapshoot if the officer will accept it.
ZC has mentioned he’s been pulled over at least 3 times and didn’t have issues with those interactions when he presented his CCW.

iTrader
Old 03-29-2021, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterX View Post
NV, AZ and FL are standard DL ID size. Just one more Californication mess.
San Bernardino County has issued the C/C size card since 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
Some Counties like San Bernardino ONLY issue the credit card size permit. The paper copy stays in your file at the CCW office.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 03-30-2021, 2:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
The LEO has no choice but to accept it. It is a legal document. The LEO can run the CII number to check if it is valid!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 03-30-2021, 2:55 PM

I bought this badge holder from Amazon. I used to have the same one in Iraq. Its really good just take off the rope and use it as wallet. Heavy OneTigris Tactical ID Card Holder Hook & Loop Patch Badge Holder Neck Lanyard Key Ring and Credit Card Organizer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY4P2DL...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-21-2021, 5:43 PM

I folded mine in half and laminated it. In my slim wallet it fits perfect in the cash compartment. On my regular size wallet I keep it in the secret slots behind the CC slots.

I almost always use my slim wallet though.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I just realized There is no standard size CCW license throughout each of California counties.
State law disagrees...
Quote:
CA PEN 26175. [...]
(3) (A) The Attorney General shall develop a uniform license that may be used as indicia of proof of licensure throughout the state.
(B) The Attorney General shall approve the use of licenses issued by local agencies that contain all the information required in subdivision (i), including a recent photograph of the applicant, and are deemed to be in substantial compliance with standards developed by the committee described in subparagraph (C), if developed, as they relate to the physical dimensions and general appearance of the licenses. The Attorney General shall retain exemplars of approved licenses and shall maintain a list of agencies issuing local licenses. Approved licenses may be used as indicia of proof of licensure under this chapter in lieu of the uniform license developed by the Attorney General.
(C) A committee composed of two representatives of the California State Sheriffs’ Association, two representatives of the California Police Chiefs Association, and one representative of the Department of Justice shall convene to review and revise, as the committee deems appropriate, the design standard for licenses issued by local agencies that may be used as indicia of proof of licensure throughout the state, provided that the design standard meets the requirements of subparagraph (B). The committee shall meet for this purpose if two of the committee’s members deem it necessary.
This provision was put in place effective Jan 2017, but no AG has acted on it, and no AG has approved individual county indices.

That leaves us with the only state-approved CCW license, the BOF 4502 (historically called, “The Rice Paper” Permit):

If you are carrying a “hard card”, it is an identification, not the license. This is borne out under the Ventura County Sheriff’s policy statement, page 5:
Quote:
iii. The VCSO will also issue a CCW ID hard card as an additional identification for the licensee. The licensee is required to carry either the license or ID card on their person at all times when they are carrying an approved concealed firearm. The applicant shall retain both the paper state license and the CCW ID hard card.
iv. The licensee shall present either the license or ID card to a peace officer, upon request, when the peace officer is acting in the course of his/her duties.
and,
Quote:
Q: Which permit do I carry?
A: It is advisable to only carry the plastic hard card. Please retain the paper permit in a safe place. Photo copies of permits are not valid. It is advisable to not laminate the paper permit. To make any changes, we will need both your hard card and un-laminated paper permit. Additionally, you will be required to surrender both the plastic hard card and paper license upon renewal.
Orange County Sheriff Policy, page 5:
Quote:
c) The license shall be laminated, bearing a photograph of the licensee with the expiration date, type of firearm, restrictions and other pertinent information clearly visible.
One doesn’t laminate credit cards.
Old 04-22-2021, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Scan it
Keep a copy in phone and web based email. I would scan all documents and keep them. Password protect the pdf in the email.

Laminate and fold

Why keep a digital copy- in my area they might detain a CCW holder until they can verify it is legit. Get stopped in Gardena on a Friday night and LEO consider holding you, you have full paperwork to go with your laminated CHL
This and keep the laminate copy in my phone case.
Old 04-22-2021, 7:48 PM

Here's what my IA, San Diego County Sheriff, said in response to my email asking about the CC permit...

Quote:
Good Morning,

Currently we are issuing the hard/plastic card but it is not state approved. The only license you are still able to carry is the paper license which is state approved.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:02 PM

OC ccw holders: are you carrying the credit card sized permit only? Or you are carrying the document with the credit card permit?

Old 05-01-2021, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_T View Post
OC ccw holders: are you carrying the credit card sized permit only? Or you are carrying the document with the credit card permit?

Just the card. I leave the DOJ paper at home unless carrying gun 6-... that isn’t listed on the card.

iTrader
Old 05-01-2021, 2:59 PM

I have a cellphone wallet - it fits perfectly in there.
Old 05-01-2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Just the card. I leave the DOJ paper at home unless carrying gun 6-... that isn’t listed on the card.
Did the DOJ finally accept the credit card size one? I got mine before the new ones were issued, but I was under the impression that the CC sized ones still aren't "official"
Old 05-01-2021, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday View Post
Did the DOJ finally accept the credit card size one? I got mine before the new ones were issued, but I was under the impression that the CC sized ones still aren't "official"
Some IA's give you only the CC sized one.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain