Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 09-09-2019, 4:34 AM

Question anybody carry outside the waist? OWB

have a sig p238. i can wear this owb with an alien gear holster. i wear a somewhat loose shirt (not baggy). i do not print. the only way you can tell i have a firearm is if i raise my arms/hands.

i have a glock 19 on the way and i was wondering what holster to get? bravo concealment makes something that is super pancake-like. yes/no?
Old 09-09-2019, 5:10 AM
Veteran Member

You're more than likely going through a few holster until you find what you like.
Old 09-09-2019, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
You're more than likely going through a few holster until you find what you like.

This.

Also are you still planning on OWB for G19?

I carry IWB and sometimes AIWB for my G19 and others from full kydex and hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2019, 5:40 AM

I’ve carried a Sig C3 1911 (commander slide on an officer frame) in a Clinger V3 owb and it works fine. As long as your shirt is loose and long, concealment does not seem to be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2019, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboi View Post
The only way you can tell i have a firearm is if i raise my arms/hands.
I'm not sure what your daily routine involves, but I often raise my arms to get items on a top shelf at the market, lift the hood of my vehicle, etc. In addition, if lifting your arms shows the firearm then it is likely that bending over in certain positions does the same. If it works for you great, but I like to have a generous amount of mobility without my firearm becoming visible.
Old 09-09-2019, 6:06 AM

After many holsters I have settled in Stealthgear iwb ventcore mini. There the only holster I will use now, the have great customer service as well!
Old 09-09-2019, 4:46 PM

i plan to carry the g19 OWB, also... i have to wear scrubs at a hospital all day and i will not/cannot carry at work.
Old 09-09-2019, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post

I’ve carried a Sig C3 1911 (commander slide on an officer frame) in a Clinger V3 owb and it works fine.

As long as your shirt is loose and long, concealment does not seem to be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I carried a 1911 for years in a OWB holster, so it is clearly doable.

However, a loose and long shirt, combined with a little common sense when it comes to movement, makes all of the difference in the world...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 09-09-2019, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

I carry a shield 9 in an owb holster from

On your six.
Old 09-12-2019, 8:19 PM

My edc is a g17. I am 5’11 and 160 soaking wet. I use the Blackhawk Serpa holster 99% of the time. The other 1 percent is the Alien gear one. The alien gear sits much higher on my hip and only use that where wearing a shirt that I usually wear to conceal would not work for where I am.
I usually wear T-shirts or button down shirts in L or XL and that doesn’t seem to look out of the ordinary most of the time , except 1% of the time.
Old 09-14-2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
i plan to carry the g19 OWB, also... i have to wear scrubs at a hospital all day and i will not/cannot carry at work.
Making a living wearing scrubs as well. I use George AIWB appendix rig from JMcustom kydex. ccw CZ P07 /P10c with 15 plus 1" works great for that quick stop to shop etc on the way to & from work.

(15 plus 1 cos its TX)
Old 09-14-2019, 3:11 PM
Veteran Member

P238? You can put that in a little pocket holster or a small, simple IWB

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020

Last edited by Erion929; 09-14-2019 at 3:14 PM..
Old 10-06-2019, 6:42 PM

For OWB, my favorite is the Milt Sparks 55-BN

Old 10-06-2019, 6:50 PM

Only when I go hiking, I carry it outside the wasteband as the IWB holster is just not comfortable for hiking, going up steep grade, climbing over tree trunks etc, But for normal everyday carry it is super comfortable, even more than my OWB holster.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 10-06-2019, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
have a sig p238. i can wear this owb with an alien gear holster. i wear a somewhat loose shirt (not baggy). i do not print. the only way you can tell i have a firearm is if i raise my arms/hands.

i have a glock 19 on the way and i was wondering what holster to get? bravo concealment makes something that is super pancake-like. yes/no?
I have the Bravo Concealment holster too with the pancake wing attachments. They are fairly close to the body. But In CA, I’d probably do it under a untucked shirt and jacket. In free states, I don’t mind the print or bulge.

iTrader
Old 10-06-2019, 8:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Pancake holsters under shirt, jacket, sport coat, suit jacket. Variety of guns:

Kimber Micro 9
Kimber Ultra Carry
Kimber Pro Carry
Sig P229
Canik TP9 SC

I can go up to 4" barrels most of the time, with a sport or suit coat I can go up to 5" no problem. I'm also over 6' tall so that helps, the length of button-down casual shirts and sport coats are longer for my height than for more average or shorter heights.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 10-06-2019, 9:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have carried a 92FS in an OWB and it conceals under a jacket or light unbuttoned shirt. I have also carried various subcompacts OWB under a button down untucked shirt without printing.
Old 04-29-2020, 8:36 PM

I carry my 23 in a older model raven concealment g17 owb holster. It’s very similar to a bravo. Very comfortable and concealable with a loose fitting shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2020, 8:39 PM
Veteran Member

I carry a G43 OWB. Much more comfortable.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I have a bravo for the 19 with the pancake attachments. It is harder to conceal but with a baggy-ish patterned shirt (button-down), not a problem.

Usually go for IWB summer though.

iTrader

Last edited by 9Cal_OC; 04-29-2020 at 10:21 PM..
Old 04-30-2020, 5:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Bravo makes a quality holster and they've been doing a BOGO deal lately. It is very close riding and conceals well for an OWB. Get the 3.0 version that has the adjustable retention screw. The retention on the regular holster is a bit tight for my liking. YMMV.

As others have said, you will likely go through a few holsters as you try to sort out what you like and what works best for you. You shouldn't have too many problems selling a Bravo for a Glock 19 if it turns out that it doesn't work for you.

Milt Sparks makes great holsters if you're looking for leather. JM Custom is another solid kydex holster maker and particularly if you're looking for an appendix rig.

Fighter Pilot
Old 05-09-2020, 9:04 AM

Op how do you like your alien gear holster?
Old 05-09-2020, 9:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Cool

Crossbreed hybrid.

Old 06-30-2020, 9:44 AM

I carry my XD sub-compacts OWB and prefer this to my XDs carried IWB. I have a friend who makes custom kydex holsters and be made my OWB sit a little higher on my belt line to not expose when raising arms.
Old 07-02-2020, 8:17 PM

I carry a Shield OWB in a leather pancake holster. I buy my shirts in tall sizes to make sure they still cover when I lift my arms, bend down, etc.
Old 07-02-2020, 9:09 PM

I personally prefer OWB, even for my p238. All my CCW guns are single stack biggest being an XDS 45.

LCP and P290rs get pocket carried.
Old 07-04-2020, 8:06 AM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Made America View Post
For OWB, my favorite is the Milt Sparks 55-BN
+1 on the 55BN

Old 07-07-2020, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
I have the Bravo Concealment holster too with the pancake wing attachments. They are fairly close to the body. But In CA, I’d probably do it under a untucked shirt and jacket. In free states, I don’t mind the print or bulge.

I just ordered a Bravo Concealment OWB (actually two, from the BOGO) , with pancake loops, for Glocks and am going to check it out OWB-style on a G19.5 MOS and a G26.

Not much to criticize from my BC Torsion 3.0 IWB....but need to know if I'm missing something more comfortable for in the car, or with jacket. At the least, I could use an OWB in classes.

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 07-15-2020, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

JMO, most people have their heads so far up their rears, I'll bet you $500 that 99% of people wouldn't notice if you were openly carrying an AR slung over your back.

With that in mind, yes; I've been OWB carrying for years. It's light years more comfortable than ANY IWB holster, and with the right gun & holster you can even CCW with a plain white T-Shirt on.

I do it all the time.

Don't overthink this.
Old 10-08-2020, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
I just ordered a Bravo Concealment OWB (actually two, from the BOGO) , with pancake loops, for Glocks and am going to check it out OWB-style on a G19.5 MOS and a G26.

Not much to criticize from my BC Torsion 3.0 IWB....but need to know if I'm missing something more comfortable for in the car, or with jacket. At the least, I could use an OWB in classes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
JMO, most people have their heads so far up their rears, I'll bet you $500 that 99% of people wouldn't notice if you were openly carrying an AR slung over your back.

With that in mind, yes; I've been OWB carrying for years. It's light years more comfortable than ANY IWB holster, and with the right gun & holster you can even CCW with a plain white T-Shirt on.

I do it all the time.

Don't overthink this.

So, I've been OWB @3:30 for a month now with the above Bravo Concealment 3.0 OWB holsters with pancake loops.....no big deal, and definitely more comfortable

I do it for office work, usually wearing khakis and Hawaiian-style....or at least untucked... short-sleeved, flat-bottomed shirts. Conceals the same as IWB, really no different dimensions as long as the grip doesn't stick out. I've used both the G26 and G19.5MOS w/red dot.

Outside of work, if I'm wearing short pants, T-shirt, and no belt, I still go with the AlienGear Grip Tuck IWB with a single clip....like a Sticky Holster with a clip.

Last edited by Erion929; 10-08-2020 at 2:05 PM..
Old 10-08-2020, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
So, I've been OWB @3:30 for a month now with the above Bravo Concealment 3.0 OWB holsters with pancake loops.....no big deal, and definitely more comfortable

I do it for office work, usually wearing khakis and Hawaiian-style....or at least untucked... short-sleeved, flat-bottomed shirts. Conceals the same as IWB, really no different dimensions as long as the grip doesn't stick out. I've used both the G26 and G19.5MOS w/red dot.

Outside of work, if I'm wearing short pants, T-shirt, and no belt, I still go with the AlienGear Grip Tuck IWB with a single clip....like a Sticky Holster with a clip.

Sweet man!!
Old 10-18-2020, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Just an FYI.....I wanted the pancake loops to sit even tighter to my body, so I used a heat gun and bent the loops to angle them more into my body (hip).

Sits even better now

Straight from the factory, I could get the rear loop flat-ish to my body, but the front loop would stick out away from my body and the gunbelt would have to follow so it stuck out some. This slack also allowed the holster to shift around between sitting and standing. Now, I can get the belt pretty flush all around

Old 10-23-2020, 10:53 AM

My CCW is a Glock G43 and I have several holsters for it, two made by R Grizzle, an IWB and OWB. I use the latter more often. Especially when it gets cold, OWB is the way to go.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Old 10-23-2020, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post

My CCW is a Glock G43 and I have several holsters for it, two made by R Grizzle, an IWB and OWB.

I use the latter more often.

Especially when it gets cold, OWB is the way to go.
All of my CCW pistols have a matching OWB holster in addition to either an IWB and/or pocket holster.

OWB holsters, especially as it cools down, really excel in comfort when compared to my IWB and Pocket holsters.

As others have said, holster selection is really a journey of trial and error, rather than a simple one time purchase destination...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 10-23-2020, 12:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

By Carry my p365 owb all the time in an Alien Gear owb holster. I also use one I got off of etsy for like 26 bucks that is simply fantastic. I couldn't tell you the brand but I would definitely take a look at some of the Etsy products because there are some fantastic holster makers on there. try a whole bunch and sell the ones you don't like for a little bit of a loss that is what all of us have to do when finding a holster.
Old 10-23-2020, 1:45 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar10 View Post
After many holsters I have settled in Stealthgear iwb ventcore mini. There the only holster I will use now, the have great customer service as well!
For IWB this, the revolution mini works just as well for a few bucks less. I have five Stealthgear holsters, two ventcores and three revolutions. They're the best I've found for me and carrying at 4:30 IWB but.... That's not what the OP asked.

OP - Here in TN open carry is legal with my permit and so I don't need to worry about printing or accidental exposure. When I carry OWB it's generally only when it's cold enough to wear a shirt-jac and then I just use a Blackhawk Serpa.

I never carried OWB in CA, just asking for trouble IMO but that's because I did physical work in public and accidentally revealing the weapon was just too likely to happen. And +1 to the Etsy suggestion, I have found all kinds of cool leather gun stuff there.
Old 12-15-2020, 8:00 PM

Wilson Combat for P938, Officer 1911 and Glock.

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 01-07-2021, 10:54 PM

For your Glock 19, drop $40 on a Fobus GL2 paddle and spend the savings on a nice silk cabana cut shirt.

After trying a dozen different holsters over 30 years of professional concealed carry, this is easy advice to give. The G19/23 version is perfection. This advice does not necessarily apply to their other models. Some of them really suck, but they nailed it with the original design for the compact Glocks. I'm less of a fan of the updated version with red sticky silicone on the paddle.

The paddle spreads the weight and slides forward on its own when you sit. (less so with the new sticky version, but it's still easy) If you want to deep conceal, bump it back a bit to a 5 O'clock position.

....and it's lightning fast in and out of the holster.
Old 01-09-2021, 8:14 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

I carry my M&P Compact in a Safariland leather OWB holster. Very happy with it.