Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2020, 2:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilson View Post
I haven't bought ammo since before the law went into effect and am looking at the flowchart trying to understand everything. I'm thinking COE is the right way to go. I have some questions:

Is there any downside to getting the COE? Like record keeping or whatever? No.

I only have a "federal limits apply" drivers license and my passport is expired. I may be able to find my marriage license somewhere. What ID do I need to get a COE and/or buy ammo? 11 CCR 4045.1

I was livescanned before when I applied for my contractor's license, in 2011. Does that count for anything? No.

Is it true that you can't buy ammo for firearms that you haven't purchased? No.
You also need an FFL-03 if you want to buy online and have it delivered to your home.

ETA: Broke away for Family stuff; Librarian strikes first.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 08-02-2020 at 2:18 PM..
Old 08-02-2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
1 - don't know, but don't think so

2 - ID for ammo is the same as for buying a gun -

easy ones:
3 - no, have to do it again if you need prints for something now.

4 - not true. Current address in AFS is the $1 check.
Thank you. A couple more questions:

1. Just double checking, a COE is fine for just average people? I'm not a dealer or vendor or manufacturer or anything, I'm just a regular citizen looking to streamline the ammo buying process.

2. If I do get the COE what other forms of ID do I need to purchase a gun/ammo? It's been a while since I bought a gun and my passport expired, I don't have a Real ID and I'm looking into getting a copy of my birth certificate from out of state.
Old 08-03-2020, 6:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thank you. A couple more questions:

1. Just double checking, a COE is fine for just average people? I'm not a dealer or vendor or manufacturer or anything, I'm just a regular citizen looking to streamline the ammo buying process.
Yes. However, it doesn’t really make sense to get a COE simply to purchase ammunition in this state. A COE requires a LiveScan background check which will run around $100. Then, you have to submit the application along with various ID documents. These were listed in the quote from Librarian and are in the regulation to which I linked. Here’s the process for COE. Here are the regulations covering the COE. A COE must be renewed every year ($22).

You need these same documents for a RealID, but it won’t cost $100+ And the license is good for years.

Quote:
2. If I do get the COE what other forms of ID do I need to purchase a gun/ammo? It's been a while since I bought a gun and my passport expired, I don't have a Real ID and I'm looking into getting a copy of my birth certificate from out of state.
These are detailed in the above posts citing the regulations. 11 CCR 4045.1 states, “This section applies to all firearms and ammunition eligibility checks, including any eligibility check described in Division 5,....”. (Division 5 refers to COEs and other matters).

11 CCR ง 4305 provides the COE Verification Process.
Quote:
(a) A purchaser or transferee is authorized to purchase ammunition if they hold a current Certificate of Eligibility, subsequent to verification by the Department.
(1) A purchaser or transferee may request, through an ammunition vendor, that the Department conduct a COE Verification to determine if the purchaser or transferee qualifies for this authorization.
(b) As authorized by Penal Code section 30370, subdivision (e), the fee for COE Verification is $1.00.
(c) The ammunition vendor shall collect the ammunition purchaser's or transferee's name, date of birth, current address, and driver's license or other government identification number in the manner described in Penal Code section 28180, telephone number, and COE number, and enter the information into the DES website.
(d) Upon the Department's completion of the COE Verification, the Department shall update the purchaser's or transferee's DES record to instruct the ammunition vendor to approve or reject the ammunition purchase or transfer.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 08-03-2020 at 6:33 AM..
Old 08-10-2020, 8:46 PM

Am I allowed to ship ammo out of state without any restrictions?
Old 08-14-2020, 1:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SDGunMan View Post
Am I allowed to ship ammo out of state without any restrictions?
The statute prohibits a resident from bringing ammunition into the state.
Old 08-14-2020, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
The statute prohibits a resident from bringing ammunition into the state.
I believe the question is whether it is legal for a California resident to sell and ship ammo to an out-of-state resident
Old 08-14-2020, 4:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I believe the question is whether it is legal for a California resident to sell and ship ammo to an out-of-state resident
Sales, transfers, etc. are irrelevant. They are types of transactions. The question is, having done the transaction, can the ammo be moved out of state?

My response points out what the law says is illegal. The law is silent on taking ammo out of state.

Every thing's legal until a law makes it illegal. Then, exceptions and exemptions make it legal under specific circumstances.

Example: It's illegal for Residents to bring ammo in from out of state. Exception: It's legal for FFL-03+COE holders to do so.

The statute doesn't specifically say you can sell ammo and ship it out of state, nor does it say you can't, so you have to know what is illegal.

Don't do the illegal stuff...do the stuff that isn't illegal...that's legal.
Old 08-14-2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Sales, transfers, etc. are irrelevant. They are types of transactions. The question is, having done the transaction, can the ammo be moved out of state?

My response points out what the law says is illegal. The law is silent on taking ammo out of state.

Every thing's legal until a law makes it illegal. Then, exceptions and exemptions make it legal under specific circumstances.

Example: It's illegal for Residents to bring ammo in from out of state. Exception: It's legal for FFL-03+COE holders to do so.

The statute doesn't specifically say you can sell ammo and ship it out of state, nor does it say you can't, so you have to know what is illegal.

Don't do the illegal stuff...do the stuff that isn't illegal...that's legal.
My understanding is that the law requires ammo to be transferred face to face, so I'm not sure how it may be silent, as you mentioned, on taking ammo out of state. I had the same question as 1SDGunMan, I was wondering if ammo can be sold and shipped to an out of state buyer without restrictions. At this point, I am not certain it is legal. I am not clear on whether the 500 rounds maximum within a 30 day period applies to only in state transfers, or if even less than 500 rounds can be shipped out of state as it would not be a face to face transaction.
Old 08-14-2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt191 View Post
My understanding is that the law requires ammo to be transferred face to face...
Where does it say that?

Looking For
– Kel-Tec PMR-30
– CZ P-07 in 40SW
– CZ P-10 C (compact)
– CZ 75 Compact w/rail & safety
Old 08-14-2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorge Retson View Post
Where does it say that?
30312. (a) (1) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale of ammunition by any party shall be conducted by or processed through a licensed ammunition vendor.
(2) When neither party to an ammunition sale is a licensed ammunition vendor, the seller shall deliver the ammunition to a vendor to process the transaction[...]
(b) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale, delivery, or transfer of ownership of ammunition by any party may only occur in a face-to-face transaction[...]
(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) shall not apply to the sale, delivery, or transfer of ammunition to any of the following[...]
(10) A person who purchases or receives ammunition from a spouse, registered domestic partner, or immediate family member as defined in Section 16720.
Old 08-14-2020, 7:58 PM

Can I just give ammo to friends?
PS. I was told by the gun store that I can do this. I just want to double check.
Old 08-14-2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasshomaru View Post
PS. I was told by the gun store that I can do this. I just want to double check.
Generally speaking...no
Old 08-14-2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasshomaru View Post
1. Never take a gun store's word on gun laws, invest the time and research yourself.

2. In your scenario no its illegal to give ammo to friends. If you want to roll the dice and do it, probably nothing will happen . . . . . but . . . . if your friend gets in some kinds of trouble or you guys not longer friends because you slept with his girl and he rats you out and they (LE) decide to investigate . . . .
Old 08-14-2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfe187 View Post
1. Never take a gun store's word on gun laws, invest the time and research yourself.

2. In your scenario no its illegal to give ammo to friends. If you want to roll the dice and do it, probably nothing will happen . . . . . but . . . . if your friend gets in some kinds of trouble or you guys not longer friends because you slept with his girl and he rats you out and they (LE) decide to investigate . . . .
Thank you for pointing out.