Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Given the recent spat of accidental law enforcement firearms theft, the many illegal police shootings and LEO misuse of firearms (including framing of innocent bystanders), this bill should be amended to apply to all law enforcement agencies and government employees as well.

Any firearm in CA used by a citizen, employee of the state or State recognized Police force should have to utilize these safer and more accountable tools that they are mandating. Especially including the tools and weapons of war on loan from the federal government.

Its for the children and the community we need safe firearms and government accountability in the current environment of realization of so many mistakes, accidents and intentional acts.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:01 AM

The irony of this bill is that this bill is happening in the same legislative session as the pending AB2699, which would make more law enforcement agencies exempt from the roster. Apparently, the limitations of the roster make it too difficult and dangerous for law enforcement to acquire handguns. Representatives from NRA and NSSF did point out the dissonance between AB2699 and AB2947 to the Senate committee at the hearing of this bill.

The California Statewide Law Enforcement Association gave this statement in support of AB2699:
Quote:

In 2001, Penal Code §32000 created a list of non-exempt agencies who may purchase non-roster firearms for use in the discharge of their official duties. Questionably, certain trained peace officers and law enforcement personnel were left off the list. These peace officers are often required to participate in mutual aid situations, task forces, sting operations and arrests. These high-risk situations require that these officers be properly armed.

In years past the Department of Justice permitted these agencies and departments to acquire these firearms for their public safety personnel. However, recent enforcement of the gun roster by the Department of Justice would require thousands of law enforcement to forfeit their guns. This legislation is necessary because it will allow officers, who have gone through the appropriate training to carry and keep their ‘non-roster’ handguns, while on active duty. Thereby also not creating a new expense for the State to repurchase new firearms and to retrain these personnel on these new firearms. In particular, this bill will expand the unsafe handgun exemption to sworn officers within various state departments, including the California Horse Racing Board, the State Department of Public Health, the Department of Toxic Substances Control, Investigators at the Department of Business Oversight, and others whom have the necessary training to carry these particular handguns.

Last edited by ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ; 08-05-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Old 08-05-2020, 12:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ View Post
The irony of this bill is that this bill is happening in the same legislative session as the pending AB2699, which would make more law enforcement agencies exempt from the roster. Apparently, the limitations of the roster make it too difficult and dangerous for law enforcement to acquire handguns. Representatives from NRA and NSSF did point out the dissonance between AB2699 and AB2947 to the Senate committee at the hearing of this bill.

The California Statewide Law Enforcement Association gave this statement in support of AB2699:

Gee I wonder why???
Old 08-06-2020, 3:39 PM

Not sure if this is too far off topic, but wouldn’t this bill ironically make it easier to make pistols from 80% AR lowers and P320s?

My thought process is that you could have the firing pin imprint the serial number to pass the requirements for home built firearms. There’s nothing stating that you can’t change parts down the road. If that were the case removing LCIs and mag disconnects would be unlawful.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2020, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REH View Post
[/U][/B]
Gee I wonder why???
I would hae to say our politicians and unionized government employees are a top to bottom crime gang raping the taxpayers.
Old 08-06-2020, 5:27 PM

This bill is schedule for the Senate Appropriations committee for Aug. 13th.
Old 08-11-2020, 7:30 PM

Default AB 2847

What are you doing about AB 2847? This bill is to go into effect 2022 which is all about the micro-stamping from the firing pin on all guns in California; the latest rewrite states for every gun With the micro-stamp technology that gets added to the roaster 3 previous approved guns come off the roaster

You better be reaching out to State SenatorJohn Moorlach (Republican) that’s reviewing this case and make sure you advise him to vote No on AB 2847; also you need to articulate why this is a agenda driven bill systematically removes the already short list of so called safe handgun roaster and will ultimately create a monopoly with only one or two companies that could even pull off this bogus technology, which by they way can be easily filed down to remove the Unique identifier on the firing pin and make it worthless for what they are trying to achieve. The governor is already signing bills behind closed doors and if this gets to him he will sign.

Thanks Please Act Now
Old 08-12-2020, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Baker View Post
You better be reaching out to State SenatorJohn Moorlach (Republican) that’s reviewing this case and make sure you advise him to vote No on AB 2847; .
Moorlach voted against it already in the Senate Public Safety committee.
Old 08-12-2020, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
Moorlach voted against it already in the Senate Public Safety committee.
Yes. He has done the best he can. Which is all he is able do. And it didn't matter because he is out-numbered. And it did not matter what he said in arguments. They all decided their vote before the hearings. They have rarely ever not liked any increase in restrictions on gun rights for civilians in years now. It is hard for a clear minority to win against a determined majority in a pure democracy without intervention from above that level and no one with power is intervening at the state level or federal level. Roberts has hamstrung the SCOTUS so the only chance at all right now is at the 9th circuit level.

Buy on Amazon? Use smile.amazon.com to contribute to the NRA. The NRA Foundation has received $206,274.19
as of August 2020 from Amazon.
Old 08-13-2020, 3:21 PM

Senate Appropriations committee heard the bill today, and placed this bill (and all other bills) on suspense. I think it means they will be voting in another meeting.

4 people called in who were in opposition, none for it.

Last edited by abinsinia; 08-13-2020 at 3:29 PM..
Old 08-13-2020, 8:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Senate Appropriations committee heard the bill today, and placed this bill (and all other bills) on suspense. I think it means they will be voting in another meeting.

They dump bills without strong, or lack of obvious, support into the Suspense File to take a breath and see what crawls out of the woodwork. The Senate Appropriations analysis said:
Quote:
Fiscal Impact: Costs to DOJ in the hundreds of thousands of dollars annually for two to five years to, in part, promulgate regulations prompted by this measure and, potentially, related to IT system changes and litigation. (General Fund, special funds*)
*Firearms Safety and Enforcement Special Fund & Firearm Safety Account.
Basically, they’re balancing costs with other activities. Hopefully, they will realize that this one isn’t worth the cost. What they’ll probably realize is that the issue doesn’t relate to COVID, nor does it resonate with the progressive base. It’s too esoteric for headlines, and the masses will say, “So what?”

A suspense hearing will be held with “vote-only”, no public testimony, before the deadlines for fiscal committees to hear and report bills to the Senate Floor (Aug 21). The last Senate Appropriations meeting is scheduled for Aug 17, but this bill isn’t (yet) on the agenda. If the bill isn’t passed to the floor, it’s dead for the year.

The Governor will be providing the legislative leaders with guidance on what will be signed. They will adjust their selections to support his desire.

At the Suspense File hearing bills are taken up alphabetically by author. There is no public testimony.
Old 08-14-2020, 3:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Good, a victory for now. I did not see that coming...something changed. What is very telling to me was this part..."this bill (and all other bills) on suspense". They simply don't have the time and money to focus on gun regulation now or most other legislation that would normally get attention. That is our sliver lining in this cloud. COVID-19 has bought us time.

Buy on Amazon? Use smile.amazon.com to contribute to the NRA. The NRA Foundation has received $206,274.19
Old 08-18-2020, 4:23 PM

Scheduled for Senate Appropriations Committee Aug. 20
Old 08-18-2020, 6:22 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiaboli View Post
Good, a victory for now. I did not see that coming...something changed. What is very telling to me was this part..."this bill (and all other bills) on suspense". They simply don't have the time and money to focus on gun regulation now or most other legislation that would normally get attention. That is our sliver lining in this cloud. COVID-19 has bought us time.
Unfortunately, placing bills in the suspense file is common practice and not at all indicative of any plans to abandon the bill. Most bills end up in the suspense file at least once.

Old 08-18-2020, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandG View Post
Unfortunately, placing bills in the suspense file is common practice and not at all indicative of any plans to abandon the bill. Most bills end up in the suspense file at least once.
Senate Appropriations put every single bill in the suspense file, and it was over 50 bills heard. They are going to vote at a later date, but the session ends Aug. 31 so it's going to be a rush job whatever it is.
Old 08-21-2020, 6:31 AM

Pass Senate Appropriations 5 to 2 , now it's on third reading on the senate floor.

They will vote next floor session.
Old 08-22-2020, 6:55 AM
Calguns Addict

The next and last floor session period before adjournment for both houses is August 24-31. It starts at 2pm on the 24th and starts at 10am each following day until adjournment some time on the 31st except: at 9am on the 25th (check-in) and 29th and at 2pm on the 30th.
The 25th is last day for bills to be amended on the floor.

If the Senate floor vote fails on the 24th (one can always call and hope) maybe they'll amend on the 25th and sacrifice the 3:1 "unsafe handgun" (i.e. non-micro-stamped) removal ratio in order to keep the micro-stamping requirement intact. Purging the Roster of "unsafe handguns" would proceed, just more slowly.

If this passes, we will see an interesting test of the economic viability of micro-stamping. COVID-19 lock downs and restrictions have decimated commerce and freedom to travel and associate for citizens, North and Central CA are burning, and CA is about to require a complex, expensive, relatively useless requirement on all "safe handguns" that serves no provable increase in firearm safety or crime solving. It is more likely designed to make selling handguns in California even more expensive and less profitable and purchasing and owning them more costly.
Amazing times.

If I had predicted this last year, people would have called me nuts (they still do but for different reasons).

Old 08-22-2020, 7:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp3056 View Post
Unless they are really good at doing the drive by they are going to leave their shells in addition to all the other dumped brass. I would assume that you will see a pattern consistent with the shooters brass as opposed as a dump of brass.

Next I suppose the forensics folks will be overloaded for a little bit having to go through the different cases and then eliminate the obvious dumped brass. It will slow down investigations but at the end of the day the effect won't change since most drive-by's probably use stolen weapons anyway. So I don't know what someone achieves by dumping brass from police shoots at the range (assuming they don't police their own).

The good thing is they will have had to buy their brass and have passed a background check....wait until all ammo is serialized...that will be the day all these street punks will have met their match.
9mm revolver for the drive by, toss random 9mm brass out the window
Old 08-22-2020, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanFromSanDiego View Post
Not sure if this is too far off topic, but wouldn’t this bill ironically make it easier to make pistols from 80% AR lowers and P320s?

My thought process is that you could have the firing pin imprint the serial number to pass the requirements for home built firearms. There’s nothing stating that you can’t change parts down the road. If that were the case removing LCIs and mag disconnects would be unlawful.

Thoughts?

This thread, post # 12
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1637167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 08-24-2020, 7:08 AM

Today's Senate floor session has this as agenda item 194.

Session starts at 2pm. Like to watch will be here,

https://www.senate.ca.gov/calendar?s...date=8-24-2020
Old 08-25-2020, 7:04 AM

They didn't address this yesterday. It's back on the agenda for today item number 95.

Session starts at 9am. Link to watch will be here,

https://www.senate.ca.gov/calendar
Old 08-26-2020, 6:39 AM

It's on the agenda for today item number 116

Session starts at 10am. Link to watch will be here,

https://www.senate.ca.gov/calendar
Old 08-26-2020, 3:19 PM

If these laws are truly about safety why are LEO's exempt? After all they are interacting with the public while armed in the most dangerous scenarios and in places where citizens can't carry, like schools. If this was a real concern, you would think one department would have a policy in place to monitor or increase handgun safety... Seems like clear evidence this was never the goal.
Old 08-27-2020, 6:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Could not watch, but bill status still states:

"Action: 2020-08-20 - Read second time. Ordered to third reading."
https://legiscan.com/CA/bill/AB2847/2019
They have 4 days left to vote on it this session.

It is the 55th item on the Senate calendar today, August 27th 2020.
The session begins at 12pm.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:18 PM

I wasn't sure if they would really have a session, last couple they no-show .. It looks like they will be voting today tho.

They're on Item #43 right now...
https://www.senate.ca.gov/media/sena...ideo?id=183205
Old 08-27-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I wasn't sure if they would really have a session, last couple they no-show .. It looks like they will be voting today tho.

They're on Item #43 right now...
https://www.senate.ca.gov/media/sena...ideo?id=183205

Watching right now, thanks!

Old 08-27-2020, 1:47 PM

they just adjourned .. I didn't see a vote on this .
Old 08-27-2020, 4:19 PM

Maybe they ran out of time? We'll get an update tonight if they voted at the very least.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Mmmpph.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 08-28-2020, 10:05 AM

Its Item 39 today...sadly we are moving up in line...
Old 08-28-2020, 10:26 AM

They are currently on Item #33

https://www.senate.ca.gov/media/sena...ideo?id=183222
Old 08-28-2020, 11:00 AM

They put it on call, I did not hear debate.. I think they will bring it back up to finish the vote later in this session.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:03 PM

Passed 25 to 12 .. It has to go next to the Assembly for a concurrence vote.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:55 PM

They are in session right now, they will likely request the concurrance vote sometime today.

video to watch session,
https://www.assembly.ca.gov/media/chamber-video
Old 08-30-2020, 7:42 PM

Passed concurrence 43 to 13 , onto Newscum for approval.
Old 08-30-2020, 8:31 PM

Default Major legislation on roster goes to Newsom

This news release was issued by Assemblyman Chiu's office tonight:

Sacramento, CA—Legislation authored by Assemblymember David Chiu (D-San Francisco) to reduce gun fatalities by requiring the gun industry to produce handguns with greater safety features passed the Assembly floor on a concurrence vote today and now heads to Governor Gavin Newsom’s desk for his signature. Assembly Bill 2847 would strengthen the Unsafe Handgun Act (UHA) and open up the use of microstamping technology in order to solve firearm-related crimes.

“Implementing microstamping technology and these other safety features has been a long time coming in California,” said Assemblymember Chiu. “This policy will save lives. I look forward to the Governor signing this common sense measure into law.”

The UHA became California law in 1999 to fill gaps in federal regulations that allow outdated gun models prone to malfunction to remain in the market. In 2007, the UHA was updated with provisions that required all new handgun models to have a chamber load indicator to signify when a gun is loaded and a magazine disconnect mechanism to prevent a gun from firing when the magazine is removed.

In 2007, an additional piece of legislation was signed into law to strengthen the UHA by requiring “microstamping” technology to be incorporated on all new semiautomatic pistol models.

With microstamping, a unique, microscopic set of characters is imprinted on the bullet cartridge casing when a weapon is fired. The use of this technology would be a critical crime solving tool for law enforcement as it would allow them to definitively match casings with the weapon they were fired from. Given that the characters imprinted on a bullet casing are unique to each firearm, this technology would allow for better tracking of firearms that are involved in crimes.

The gun industry has not introduced any new handgun models into the California market since the 2007 laws were passed. Thus, Californians have not benefited from microstamping technology or the other safety requirements that were also passed in 2007 to require a chamber load indicator or magazine disconnect mechanism.

AB 2847 eases compliance with the UHA by requiring that new handgun models include one microstamp as opposed to the previous requirement of two. Gun industry representatives have conceded in legal proceedings that one microstamp is within their technological capabilities. The bill prompts the gun industry to quickly introduce new, compliant models on to the market by instructing the Attorney General to remove three previously grandfathered handgun models from the state roster of handguns certified for sale for each new compliant handgun model that is introduced.

AB 2847 was sponsored by the California Chapters of Brady United Against Gun Violence and Alameda District Attorney Nancy O’Malley.

“This law will have a direct and lasting effect in the fight to end gun violence. California’s cities and neighborhoods are plagued by shootings and AB 2847 provides a smart and realistic tool to identify and prosecute gun crimes. The unique microstamp on each handgun will allow law enforcement and district attorneys to identify criminals and hold them accountable. It is imperative that we do all we can to stop the seemingly endless horror of gun violence in our state,” says DA O’Malley. “I thank Assemblymember Chiu for authoring this legislation as well as our cosponsors, the Brady Campaign.”

"California was the first state in the nation to enact microstamping requirements for firearms, in order to give law enforcement critical investigative tools to solve handgun crime,” said Mattie Scott, President of Brady California United Against Gun Violence. “That bill was passed in 2007 and still no guns have been sold in California with this technology due to countless hurdles put in place by the gun industry and lobby. I know first hand why this law matters. My son George’s case remains unsolved nearly 14 years later. Microstamping policies could have helped to solve my son’s case. Assemblymember Chiu’s bill will finally give law enforcement the critical first step in identifying those responsible for the daily acts of gun violence and apprehending them before they do more harm. These policies give hundreds of Mothers, Fathers and parents like myself, and particularly people of color, whose cases remain unsolved for over 30 plus years hope. We applaud Assemblymember Chiu for introducing this lifesaving policy and look forward to seeing his bill signed into law.”

“Assemblymember Chiu’s bill, AB 2847, will ensure that new semiautomatic handgun models are introduced that incorporate microstamping technology,” said Griffin Dix, volunteer with Brady United Against Gun Violence Oakland/Alameda County Chapter. “This will help solve gun crimes. The new handgun models that are introduced will also have life-saving safety features, such as chamber loaded indicators. My son, Kenzo, was killed in an unintentional shooting with a handgun that did not have a prominent chamber loaded indicator. If the gun had one, he would be alive today. Kenzo was visiting the home of his good friend when, without telling him, the boy went to his father’s room and got the semiautomatic handgun that his father kept there, unlocked. When the boy removed the loaded magazine from the gun, he thought he’d unloaded it. He came back into his room where my son was and pulled the trigger, expecting to hear only a click. The bullet still hidden in the chamber smashed through my son’s shoulder and into his heart, killing him. When Assemblymember Chiu’s bill becomes law, fewer deaths like this will happen. Semiautomatic handguns sold in California will not only have microstamping, they will also have chamber loaded indicators and other safety features. This bill will make Californians safer, and save many lives.”

Law enforcement from across California are coming together to support AB 2847, including California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer, Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O’Malley, Contra Costa County District Attorney Diana Becton, San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin, Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen, and San Francisco Sheriff Paul Miyamoto.

"Microstamping firearms--so a bullet cartridge can be traced to a crime gun--protects public safety by giving law enforcement essential leads in tracking down the shooter,” said Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer. “That's why I authored the original microstamping legislation, and why I'm proud to strongly support AB 2847, by Assemblymember Chiu. AB 2847 will update this important law and move us forward in implementing a crucial public safety tool."

Governor Newsom will have until September 30 to sign AB 2847.
Old 08-30-2020, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Having a micro-stamping firing pin generally won’t affect responsible, law-abiding gun owners — until they start being investigated as persons of interest in illegal shootings. Because micro-stamping is a criminal’s dream come true. The new gangland SOP will be to sweep up random brass at gun ranges (wearing tacticool gloves, of course, to avoid adding their own fingerprints to it), and then anytime there is a drive-by or other type of illegal shooting, they can throw the random, mixed brass out onto the ground. The police investigators will now have micro-stamped brass — with complimentary fingerprints — from 20 to 30 random, law-abiding gun owners at the crime scene. Automatic reasonable doubt will be built into the case even if the police find brass from the actual shooters. The real hilarity will occur when the criminals start using revolvers and begin taking their own brass away with them, leaving all of our identifiable brass behind.
Not defending microstamping by any means, but nothing stopping you from replacing the firing pin, right?
Old 08-30-2020, 8:34 PM

Is this the bill that would remove 3 handguns for every new one added?

Old 08-30-2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGunOwner_Mike View Post
Is this the bill that would remove 3 handguns for every new one added?

Yep. Death by a major cut.

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
Old 08-30-2020, 8:40 PM

So we all end up with a glock 9mm?