Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:21 AM

Default Shoulder Holsters, Jackass Rigs, etc?

I've looked at shoulder holsters for a while, but I don't want to spend wantonly and stupidly on holsters that end up never being used, so I saw no harm in asking here. I'm interested to read what you-all might have to say about using a shoulder holster, as opposed to IWB/OWB.

Nutnfancy has a few videos on Youtube that fueled my interest in trying a shoulder holster for EDC under the right conditions. His thing seems to be shoulder holster under a cover garment that is not necessarily a coat or a jacket. A loose-fitting shirt, for example. Somewhat obviously, probably not optimal for 90°F+ weather, but with fall just around the corner, the timing seems good. Others that I respect on Youtube offer similar counsel: there is a lot to like about a shoulder holster.

In one video Nutnfancy showcases carrying a G20 in a Galco Jackass rig under shirt. That is a respectably big gun for CCW.

What I am wondering is, if I buy a shoulder holster, how essential are tie-downs (to the belt/pants)? Some have them, some don't.

If you have any experience, good or bad, please feel free to share. What gun? What season? What were your cover-garment choices?
Old 08-30-2019, 10:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A Beretta 92 in a shoulder holster without tie downs is great for long drives. As long as the mags on the weak side are full the weight stays distributed. Any jacket or thick shirt works.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:12 AM

I carry a G20 in a Galco shoulder rig, not the jackass but the Miami classic. I do not use tie downs usually and have no problems with sitting, standing, or walking. If I have to do a lot of reaching up and bending over I wear a zip up sweater or jacket and the flapping is not an issue.

I have noticed using a button up shirt as a cover garment that the tie downs feel more necessary. Especially when bending over my rig flaps out and prints against thin fabric.
Old 08-30-2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooner760HD View Post
[...]
I have noticed using a button up shirt as a cover garment that the tie downs feel more necessary. Especially when bending over my rig flaps out and prints against thin fabric.
Nutnfancy seems to really like the Galco lite, which is suede, for concealing under a shirt, as opposed to the thicker leather of more costly rigs, but only for smaller guns. I would be looking to carry a P2KSK, so I'm not sure I need something expensive with thicker leather.

Regarding printing when you bend over, do the tiedowns make the rig less comfortable, or just less obvious to the trained eye?

Would you wear that shirt unbuttoned, or are the shoulder straps too easy to see?
Old 08-30-2019, 3:32 PM

I have a shoulder holster (galco - jackass?) - since you don't need to be wearing anything else for it to work ;-)
Seems functional to me.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:20 PM

I rarely wear a shoulder rig, but on occasion in the winter I will use one under a sweat shirt while wearing sweat pants. The elastic band on sweat pants can't hold much up. I use a Bianchi 9R and carry a "J" frame smith or a Colt Det Special. No tie down straps.
Old 08-31-2019, 1:04 PM

A friend of mine used to carry a .380 Beretta in a shoulder holster all the time in the 80’s no belt strap.

I never carried concealed with one but back in the day open carried on BLM land a Beretta 92 with one. I needed a belt strap for it. With a full size 9mm it was a bit annoying under my arm like that but looked cool.
Old 09-01-2019, 4:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I've carried an SP101 with a couple of speed strips in offside pouches. That one I need an offside tiedown for as the weight of the ammo is nowhere near the weight of the chunky Ruger. It works well in the wintertime up here at the foot of the Sierras.
Old 09-01-2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
I've carried an SP101 with a couple of speed strips in offside pouches. That one I need an offside tiedown for as the weight of the ammo is nowhere near the weight of the chunky Ruger. It works well in the wintertime up here at the foot of the Sierras.
One reason I switched from my SP101 (in .357) to the P2KSK was because of how punishing (and expensive) it was to practice with the SP101 reasonably using magnum loads.

I switched the factory grips to laminated Pachmayr’s and it seemed to be more punishing. I wish Pachmayr made a set of presentation grips for the SP101 like the ones I have on other guns.
Old 09-03-2019, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

I think it really comes down to your body type, you’ll likely need to buy one to see how they work for you. I used to wear one in the winter when I had a light coat on.

I’m a skinny guy, so my CW9 would poke out behind me. A jacket would cover it up, but it looked odd with just a button up shirt on. I have a Galco Lite for it, no hold-down straps were needed for it due to the way it’s worn.

I looked at the jackass but, it looked like it would need straps due to the way it hangs, I thought it would prob flop around a bit too

Old 09-04-2019, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post
I think it really comes down to your body type, you’ll likely need to buy one to see how they work for you. I used to wear one in the winter when I had a light coat on.

I’m a skinny guy, so my CW9 would poke out behind me. A jacket would cover it up, but it looked odd with just a button up shirt on. I have a Galco Lite for it, no hold-down straps were needed for it due to the way it’s worn.

I looked at the jackass but, it looked like it would need straps due to the way it hangs, I thought it would prob flop around a bit too
You raise a good point. OAL on that CW9 is, what, just under 6"? Actually shorter OAL than a P2KSK by nearly 0.5".

Did you find that the lite was unbalanced with a single CW9 magazine as a counterweight?
Old 09-07-2019, 8:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Chico - the only city in California named after a Marx brother.

I carried a Kimber Compact w/2 mags in the offside pouches in a Miami Classic for 5 years driving a cab. Wore Hawaiian shirts 1 size larger than normal and never got made. Never used tie-downs because they tended to make my pants ride up.
The main reason I've stopped carrying that way is I was getting neck and back pain from carrying the extra 4 lbs around all night. YMMV.

"People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society." Marko - http://jpfo.org/articles-assd02/marko.htm/
Old 10-26-2019, 6:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can anyone recommend a rig that points the gun down at a 45 degree angle. I do not like the horizontal ones that point the pistol at everyone that is behind you. I like the vertical ones but not the kind with the steel spring in them. Something for an LC9 size up to CZ75 compact size. Any input appreciated. Sorry, I'm talking about a shoulder holster.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:46 AM

homeless dude, look at the shoulder rig made by captain-itch.com
You can run the gun vertical, horizontal or at a 45 degree angle. It's a very nice rig. You can change holsters on the same rig so its versatile. I have it with 4 different holsters.
Old 12-29-2019, 3:57 PM

Just to update the thread, a couple months ago I stumbled on a Galco Miami Classic II which was a little cheaper than usual. H&K P2000SK holsters are not as common as Glock or others, so I went for it and have been wearing it recently with the cooler weather.

Upthread comments about body type are wise. I am a little thick in the torso, and even after playing around with the fit, dialing it in, I find that for me, this gun/holster combination doesn't work with every cover garment.

Before buying, my thought had been: in winter, around the neighborhood, running errands and such, the shoulder holster would permit me to conceal without requiring a gun belt. Flannel shirt for a cover garment, good to go.

However, what I found was IWB is more easily concealed unless I have generously cut cover garments-- shirt, jacket, etc. For me, I can carry IWB at 4:00 with a Vedder Light Tuck and conceal with a much wider range of clothes.

Anyway, it is very comfortable when driving. I grabbed an Alien Gear belly band rig for IWB without a gun belt.
Old 01-26-2020, 8:39 AM

I've been wearing Dickies Eisenhower jackets for years. Got a new one yesterday. The inside left pocket has changed. It has two, sewn at an angle slots. The LCRX in a Sticky fit perfect, almost like it was purpose made. It puts the Ruger almost under the arm. The wife says it does not print. The Glock 23 will drop right in also. I kinda chuckled wondering if Dickies is pro 2A.
Rest In Peace, Officers Singh, Corona, O'Sullivan, Moye Jr. ,Ishmael, Gutzwiller, Gibson, Inn, Benedetti, Vaca, Lenehan, Alvarado, Vella, Arroyos, Paredes, Santana, Cordero, Carrasco Jr, Clinkunbroomer, Le.

Last edited by yuccales; 10-03-2020 at 7:27 PM..