Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2019, 8:26 AM

Default M1 carbine- beat and ugly still worth buying?

I was browsing a local pawn shop for tools and spotted an M1 carbine in the rack.

This thing is ugly. An absolute Frankenstein, parts number mix-master supreme.

The receiver is Winchester, but the original stamped 7 digit serial number has been striked through and a different serial number engraved beneath it. Weird to me, but I have zero experience with these guns.

I didn't have a bore light with me, and the lighting wasn't great in the shop, so I never got a decent look at the bore or rifling. Stock must be commercial aftermarket because it had absolutely no cartouches of any type on it anywhere.

Overall finish on all exposed metal is very worn, but no visible rust, pitting, or evidence of sanding. Action cycles smoothly with no sticking or unusual quirks.

This may be an impossible question to answer, sight unseen and no pics available, but what is a "fair" lowball offer for this pathetic example of an iconic American classic?

This is a pawn shop I'm dealing with, so they ain't "gun enthusiasts" and there will be no support once the gun leaves their hands, so I am not opposed to offering an offensively low offer, especially since the price on the tag was laughable considering its condition. This will never be a collectors piece.

So come on guys, what is an ugly, beat, but apparently functioning M1 carbine worth as a shooter.

As an example of the point I'm attempting to make here..... a Python with worn finish, cracked grips, and potentially out of spec cylinder timing is still worth a couple hundred.