Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-29-2018, 8:56 PM

Default Starting the academy

Hello all,

I'm starting the police academy as a self-sponsored recruit in January. I was seeing if any one of you guys had a Sig P320 full size 9mm for sale. I just wanted to use it for the academy. I'm located in the bay area. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2018, 9:17 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=106
Old 10-29-2018, 10:45 PM

I don't know if you really need to have such a fancy gun for basic academy. Especially if you self sponsor and have no idea what agency will end up picking you up. While the P320 is a Striker Fired gun, that might be the most similarity that you will have with what issued to you by the time you get signed off. Also since you're paying your whole way and you still might have to buy $3000 or $4,000 of quality drill and Academy gear, I don't think it's wise to pay the inflated market-driven prices of the Calguns Marketplace.

I'll give you two options and suggestions. Option 1 go to a Glock Blue Label dealer and ask nicely if they would sell you and on roster Glock 19. This way you'll get a generation 3 and you'll probably end up paying around $450 tops. I know some FFL will do this for you if you show your Academy ID. If not go ahead and snag a used Glock 19 on the marketplace and bargain around four hundred bucks. With the four thousand rounds you're going to fire in the academy you wouldn't know the difference between a new Glock at the beginning and a used one at the end. Your wallet will sure know. Just FYI if you go the used route do not get Bubba's gun don't be that guy with the hot iron stippling and the Apex Trigger and get tore up.

If you frankly have too much money and you absolutely must get an off roster gun just to learn how to shoot the Leo way, pick up a generation 1 M&P 9 mm. This gun I know for a fact is used and at least three major California Post agencies and the muscle memory will take you far.

Hope this helps good luck and do not quit.

Last edited by Icypu; 10-29-2018 at 10:48 PM..
Old 10-30-2018, 6:29 AM

Will you be attending the CSM academy in Jan?
Old 10-30-2018, 7:34 AM

I’d get something less fancy, unless you have a really good idea which agency is likely to pick you up. Glock, Beretta 92FS, M&P, all good academy guns IMO. Sig is a great gun, just pricey for a gun that you’re paying for that’s likely to beat up a bit in the academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2018, 7:59 AM
Calguns Addict

I'll echo the sentiment of other's, that it's better to have a basic plain Jane handgun. Pick up what you want after you get hired, and have an idea of what you can carry on duty.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:47 AM

Buy a gen 3 Glock 17 or 19. Upgrade the sights and your good to go.
Old 10-30-2018, 1:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The goal of the Academy is to make you mentally tough (safe and ability to make sound decisions under stress).

Your mindset should be focused on getting through the academy (mental and physical preparedness). Your resolve to graduate should be 100%. Everyone in your personal life should buy in to you attending and willing to support you as you move forward in the academy, with an LEA, during field training, probation and once active duty.

Regarding firearms, train with whatever you have and become great with it. I believe 40-60% of LEAs issue Glocks, so the 3rd Gen G17 is good advice.
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 10-30-2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911su16b870 View Post
The goal of the Academy is to make you mentally tough (safe and ability to make sound decisions under stress).

Your mindset should be focused on getting through the academy (mental and physical preparedness). Your resolve to graduate should be 100%. Everyone in your personal life should buy in to you attending and willing to support you as you move forward in the academy, with an LEA, during field training, probation and once active duty.

Regarding firearms, train with whatever you have and become great with it. I believe 40-60% of LEAs issue Glocks, so the 3rd Gen G17 is good advice.
Op, read this post twice. It is great advice.
Old 10-30-2018, 2:27 PM

Buy a G17 and call it a day.
Old 10-30-2018, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911su16b870 View Post

Mirror this. Start consolidating your friends and family now. If you're heading down this path, you should know who you should not associate with.

To your question, ditch the P320 idea. Once you start your academy bring proof of enrollment (registration if tied to a college, academy letterhead, etc...) to a Glock Blue Label dealer and get yourself a G17 Gen 3. It will come with 3 10-rnd magazines and will be approximately under $500 OTD.

That being said, I was not aware that there were still academies that required you to obtain your own firearm. Many require that you use theirs unless you're sponsored by another department.

Good luck to you.

EDIT: You already have a G22 according to your WTB thread. Just use that or get a conversion barrel and mags. Why focus on something not important? Your firearm should be the least of your worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht4318 View Post
Hello,

I am starting the police academy in January as a self-sponsored. Would like to purchase a Sig P320 Nitron in 9mm full sized before I start to use for the academy. I am willing to pay cash or trade/cash combo.

I have a

S&W M&P Shield Ca compliant in 9mm
Glock 22 with extended slide release and truglo fiber optic sights
Remington 700 in 30-06
Remington 870 standard

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

Last edited by code_blue; 10-30-2018 at 2:45 PM..
Old 10-30-2018, 4:38 PM

+1 for the glock 17 gen 3. An added bonus is there are plenty of holsters in existence for it. I self sponsored in an academy down here in Orange County and went thru it with a g17 just fine. In fact I only missed top shot by one point. Glocks are easy to clean and user friendly. With all the other nonsense you will be dealing with, the easier you can make things on yourself the better.
Old 10-30-2018, 5:52 PM

I'm not a a huge fan of Glock...but get a Glock.

You will be able to learn all the fundamentals, and have a reliable and reasonably priced pistol that will most likely be what your future agency issues anyway.

Train like you fight.
Old 10-31-2018, 8:58 AM

What academy will you be attending?
Old 10-31-2018, 10:40 AM

Just did DROS for a G17 blue label deal. Thanks for the advice all. Will be attending South Bay Regional Public Training Consortium.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Just did DROS for a G17 blue label deal. Thanks for the advice all. Will be attending South Bay Regional Public Training Consortium.
You will be happy with your decision.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:48 PM

The Glock seems to be the S&W model 10 of my era, it’s simple and it works- good choice! Good luck in your journey.
Old 10-31-2018, 1:13 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Good choice.

Simple, reliable, easy to shoot and clean = Yes

Loud, flashy, exotic, expensive = No.

Instant attention from academy staff that you don't want. A recruit's best friend is anonymity. When I was asked who I was and if I was part of this class halfway through, I knew I was doing something right.
Old 10-31-2018, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Excellent choice! Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Instant attention from academy staff that you don't want. A recruit's best friend is anonymity. When I was asked who I was and if I was part of this class halfway through, I knew I was doing something right.
Amen
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 10-31-2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Good choice.

This.

I started the academy with a Beretta 92FS and about 10 weeks in during a scenario, my sights got damaged and I had to send my slide in for repair. My brother in laws dad loaned me his LASD retirement INOX Beretta in the meantime...that got me much more attention than I ever wanted.

You’ll be happy with your G17.

Old 10-31-2018, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galli1565 View Post
Buy a G17 and call it a day.
This. ^^^

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-31-2018, 9:23 PM

Although this forum can be harsh, please feel free to keep asking us questions. We need good ppl in our line of work.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:01 PM

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience in this forum which should be respected and absorbed. Even after being hired, getting through the academy, and being on the streets, you still learn things every day.

Both the Coyote Valley and CSM academy classes are tough. I highly recommend that you follow all of the instructions provided in the basic academy application checklist, student needs list, and orientation letter. I guarantee you do not want to be that guy on the first day that is getting smoked and being made an example of. Follow all of the directions given to a Tee. They are provided for a reason and your attention to detail throughout the academy will be tested on a daily basis.

Do yourself a favor and show up physically prepared. If you are not working out now you should be. They list the "recommended" minimum performance standards and they are just that.. minimum. You can count on doing all sorts of physical activity daily even on non designated work out days. You will run a lot. The coyote valley campus is right next to a wonderful windy road and hill you will become friends with. CSM has great views from the hills you'll be running up and down. The whole idea of being in shape upon arrival is to try and reduce the chances of injury throughout the course. Remember, the only easy day was yesterday.

Finally, be a team player and be a leader. Absorb everything, study hard, and help the weaker students. Be humble and take criticism when it's given. You are being observed throughout the entire process. Everything counts for something and everything is noticed. Have the will to push through and succeed no matter what. Pain is temporary but pride is forever. Never give up the fight... ever.

The time will go by quickly and you should make it one of the best times of your life. Good luck!

lol
Old 11-01-2018, 2:36 PM

So many people got running related injuries, so I would do yoga or Tai chi if I had to do it again.
Old 11-01-2018, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icypu View Post
So many people got running related injuries, so I would do yoga or Tai chi if I had to do it again.

Yes, stretching and icing/heating are so important. I recommend that if you know of days where it is mostly running, opt into running oriented shoes. They greatly reduce the fatigue on your lower body. Ortho inserts are a good idea also. I used Hoka's on those days and still use them now. Cross-training shoes otherwise. Watch your dress code, however.

Drink water, lots of water. Recovery shakes and snacks help too.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 11-02-2018, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Good choice.

This is sound advice. I've taught at an academy for the last 5 years. The guys with super modded guns always cause so many issues on the range due to their super modded weapons failing that if you're that guy on day one you're gonna get a lot of unwanted attention.
Old 11-02-2018, 8:55 AM
Veteran Member

You will be glad you got a G17

Old 11-04-2018, 1:22 AM

Get a 1911 or you have no balls.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Donut View Post