Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-10-2016, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

Tennessee bit the dust: http://wkrn.com/2016/03/08/tenn-lawm...al-carry-bill/
Old 03-10-2016, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Bummer
Old 03-10-2016, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

Although not Constitutional Carry, Oklahoma has a permitless open carry bill which overwhelmingly passed their House 73-15 http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...arms-legislat/
Old 03-10-2016, 2:13 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
I've got conflicting info. According to this article with the same date, it's just stalled.
Quote:
The bill is retained at present in Senate Judiciary on a 4-4-1 vote as discussed below. The bill is not defeated but it can be placed back on notice under the Senate rules or it can be moved by the sponsor, Senator Green, to be brought directly to the Senate floor for debate and a vote.
There are also a total of 4 constitutional carry bill in TN right now. Just because 1 stalls or dies doesn't mean they all do. SB1473 is stalled. The remaining 3 are SB2273, HB2146 and HB1748.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
“For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a state denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.”
Old 03-10-2016, 2:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Although not Constitutional Carry, Oklahoma has a permitless open carry bill which overwhelmingly passed their House 73-15 http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...arms-legislat/
Oklahoma democrat opposes unlicensed open carry because it could cause a raise in domestic violence. LOL. what the ****? They sound more desperate by the day.

Oklahoma governor did sign a bill allowing people from constitutional carry states to carry concealed without a permit. Unlicensed loaded open carry is a huge step in the right direction. It's a very good indication that we will get constitutional carry in the next few years, especially as we have seen Oklahoma's neighbors passing CC bills + liberal Maine.
Old 03-10-2016, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

We can't be certain any will pass. All the bills haven't moved very far so a RINO or democrat in committee could kill a bill for all we know.

Right now the only one I can say with confidence looks good is Mississippi. Utah, probably the most conservative state in the country, killed a CC bill this year...and their governor vetoed it in 2013.

Constitutional carry is a crap shoot. Right now we don't know, because even conservative legislators aren't always willing to jump on it. At the same time, we are seeing bipartisan support in some states.
Old 03-10-2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
Utah, probably the most conservative state in the country, killed a CC bill this year...and their governor vetoed it in 2013.
I read an article (maybe even linked in this thread?) that quoted one or two Utah Republican state legislators claiming that they didn't push the bill due to it being "bad timing" because of the Oregon Malheur National Wildlife Refuge incident. What that has to do with constitutional carry they didn't say. Maybe just "guns"?
Old 03-10-2016, 6:38 PM

There are now as many states with Constitutional Carry are there are states still stuck with 'may issue'!

Hah!

Old 03-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.guns.com/2016/03/11/measu...ning-traction/

Idaho Sheriff's Association endorses constitutional carry
Old 03-11-2016, 8:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I had friends that were there!!!! I couldn't be there due to work.
Old 03-12-2016, 6:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Public comment is possible on Monday...Senate State Affairs Committee discusses the bill at that time.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 03-12-2016, 10:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
I had friends that were there!!!! I couldn't be there due to work.
I will do my best to be in the Lincoln Auditorium on Monday at 8am...I may speak in favor of the bill...not sure at this point.

Wife and I went to a St. Paddy's party tonight...someone close to the bill mentioned there may be speakers opposed to it...not to the extent of the freak-out last year about guns on U of I campuses, but we're still awaiting that wild west blood bath that the anti's expected. LE was generally against guns on campus, but as was posted the sheriffs generally support the bill we'll talk about Monday.

ETA...I'm advised that the session will be streamed online. Go here...http://idahoptv.org/insession/leg.cfm/ Once that page opens, click on the pic of the Lincoln auditorium.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

Last edited by -hanko; 03-13-2016 at 9:35 PM..
Old 03-13-2016, 4:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
I will do my best to be in the Lincoln Auditorium on Monday at 8am...I may speak in favor of the bill...not sure at this point.

Wife and I went to a St. Paddy's party tonight...someone close to the bill mentioned there may be speakers opposed to it...not to the extent of the freak-out last year about guns on U of I campuses, but we're still awaiting that wild west blood bath that the anti's expected. LE was generally against guns on campus, but as was posted the sheriffs generally support the bill we'll talk about Monday.
I think the usual suspects (Moms) will be there, probably all reading verbatim off the same playbook. There's a video of this from another state where they were speaking out against a bill. There were like 5 of them and they simply went around and read the EXACT same thing. If I were in the legislature I would have stopped them and asked that they quit wasting time and just say what they want to say once, since each apparently had no real knowledge of the bill and nothing substantive to offer.

Time is running short in ID, sine die is the 25th. From what I've read the Governor's position is still unknown, but LEOs being on board should help. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2016, 4:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't think it's going to happen in Idaho this year. We don't see much of a push from the GOP base to get the constitutional carry bill through the legislature.

I think our most likely will be Mississippi. The governor already signed a 90% constitutional carry bill last year. The currently pending bill has to do with allowing churches to regulate conceal carry on their premises. They attached a rider to that bill stating the 90% constitutional carry bill also applies to holstered firearms. There is a lot of momentum and the legislature+governor has already demonstrated they will most likely sign a CC bill.

Kentucky is looking good as well. The bi-partisan support indicates that constitutional carry is inevitable, if not this year, at some point in the near future.

Indiana, Missouri, and Louisiana are maybes if not grouped in with Idaho.

Colorado, Michigan, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania are essentially DOA.

Pennsylvania is an update

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...&type=B&bn=230
The bill in MS already passed their house last month but still hasn't been assigned to a committee in the Senate. Not sure why.
Old 03-13-2016, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

I think we are getting close to the end of the legislative session so hopefully they do something about it.
Old 03-13-2016, 5:11 PM

Time will tell ,till then i will continue to donate funds to the NRA.
Old 03-13-2016, 9:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I think the usual suspects (Moms) will be there, probably all reading verbatim off the same playbook. There's a video of this from another state where they were speaking out against a bill. There were like 5 of them and they simply went around and read the EXACT same thing. If I were in the legislature I would have stopped them and asked that they quit wasting time and just say what they want to say once, since each apparently had no real knowledge of the bill and nothing substantive to offer.

Time is running short in ID, sine die is the 25th. From what I've read the Governor's position is still unknown, but LEOs being on board should help. Good luck!
MDA-ID has a "gives us your info and we'll send an email for you" post at the top of their page...their snorting and bleating ends up saying Idaho has had it's CWP laws and they've worked for 99 years...why change them now? What a steaming huge crock of equine excrement.

MDA collectively refuses to focus on the actors doing daily demos of gun stupidity. Unfortunately, to do so would be a solid roadblock for Demo / Libtard / Progressive / Bloomberg philosophy and goals.

Sine' die is set in a mountain of concrete. Butch will not extend the session. This is an election year, we have citizen legislators who go back to their businesses or land.

Thx for the good luck!

Old 03-14-2016, 8:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Live streaming CWL hearing...

Chaired by Senator Lodge, who does in fact carry daily.

Noted MDA using same talking points over and over per my post last night.

Noted that coming in dressed in a kilt and wearing a print shirt with marijuana leaves may lower your credibility a bit ...Senator Lodge is very conservative.

Alex Kincaid, an amazing lawyer, spoke in favor. My attorney subcontracted my nfa trust to her as part of my family trust.

MDA piglet suggesting legislators "listen to voters"...not a good way to start off.

Fat slob idiot setting himself up to meet a state trooper for assistance in exiting the building, but finally shut up.

An immigrant from Africa speaks eloquently about the need for the 2nd Amendment.

Chair beginning to ask for motion to approve. Author of bill notes Idaho FOP is in favor of the bill. Motion to approve is seconded. Bill passes and will be sent to the floor.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimelmanj View Post
Tennessee is dead.
No, it's not. It's stalled.

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/201...nessee-senate/
Quote:
The bill is not defeated but it can be placed back on notice under the Senate rules or it can be moved by the sponsor, Senator Green, to be brought directly to the Senate floor for debate and a vote.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
“For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a state denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.”
Old 03-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Tennessee is dead.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/a...ails-in-senate

Us gun owners need to focus in I feel on the 2 or 3 states that CAN get constitutional carry passed this year and help make those into a reality. Also, I think we should be careful to mention that constitutional carry for RESIDENTS ONLY (looking at you Idaho) is a far cry from pure constitutional carry (at least in my eyes...).

How are the remaining states fairing? Michigan, Louisiana, Kentucky, Indiana, New Hampshire?
Kentucky, Idaho, and Mississippi are our best bets.

After that would be Indiana, Missouri, and Louisiana.

High unlikely are Michigan, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania
Old 03-14-2016, 12:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
... Also, I think we should be careful to mention that constitutional carry for RESIDENTS ONLY (looking at you Idaho) is a far cry from pure constitutional carry (at least in my eyes...).
There have been a few sponsors that were thinking about addressing non-residents in today's bill or a subsequent bill. Adding non-residents to the mix this year might have been thought to be too much. None of the legislators I've spoken with ever mentioned non-residents. I don't disagree about "pure" v. residents-only CC. Idaho does have CWP's for non-residents, but you need to visit Idaho to get one.

I'll see if I can get a bit more info on when the senate vote might be later tonight.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There have been a few sponsors that were thinking about addressing non-residents in today's bill or a subsequent bill. Adding non-residents to the mix this year might have been thought to be too much. None of the legislators I've spoken with ever mentioned non-residents. I don't disagree about "pure" v. residents-only CC. Idaho does have CWP's for non-residents, but you need to visit Idaho to get one.

I'll see if I can get a bit more info on when the senate vote might be later tonight.
It passed out of committee 6-3 earlier today http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...d-to-idaho-se/

Since Idaho honors all out of state permits, the residents only portion of the bill may be somewhat moot but hopefully they circle around and fix it later. Or, a lawsuit is filed in ID state courts to fix it since the 9th Circuit probably would think it's OK to discriminate against non-residents because it's about guns.
Old 03-14-2016, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Even with resident only, it's a huge step in the right direction.
Old 03-14-2016, 2:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It passed out of committee 6-3 earlier today http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...d-to-idaho-se/

I posted that at 10:02am this morning.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Idaho Statesman story about senate committee meeting yesterday...

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/p...e65979502.html

Old 03-15-2016, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Idaho Statesman story about senate committee meeting yesterday...

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/p...e65979502.html
Wow,, the wack jobs in the comments section must be Cal-expats. Same playbook.

Old 03-15-2016, 5:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonzin View Post
Wow,, the wack jobs in the comments section must be Cal-expats. Same playbook.
Same people. Idaho's disdain for Californians is for them...plenty of Californians move up here simply because of how the state operates and would prefer to leave their old California atmosphere at the border, Idahoans respect and welcome them.

One of the dissenting votes was from Boise's "North End"...blocks of little Subarus with rainbow stickers. Another from Blaine county...i.e. Sun Valley, Ketchum, and other towns rolling in California money. :roll eyes:

That influence is countered by a state constitution with an RKBA amendment, not to mention a strong presence throughout the state and state legislature of the Church of Latter Day Saints...they pay attention to politics, respect the Constitution, and, even better, they vote.

Last edited by -hanko; 03-15-2016 at 6:09 PM..
Old 03-15-2016, 8:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thank God too Hanko because I feel like I am finally of the majority here. It is an astounding thing to be a part of the mass populace. We'll see how it goes.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thank God too Hanko because I feel like I am finally of the majority here. It is an astounding thing to be a part of the mass populace. We'll see how it goes.
What's great about Idaho? You can call your state senator or representative, make an appointment, and sit down and yak with them about your concerns...a little different than in CA.

I'm headed for your place of work Thursday around 10am...you got time for a slice of pizza?

Old 03-16-2016, 6:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If I'm there, definitely come by. I'm getting a spinal injection today (weds) and may or may not be there on thursday, but I'm planning on being there if at all possible.
Old 03-16-2016, 8:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

An unintended consequence of Con Carry passing in more and more states is a REDUCTION in the total # of CCW permits in a particular state and around the nation. That makes it harder for researchers like John Lott, PhD, to show the effects of carry on crime, whether good or bad.

Naturally, for us CGNers, policy considerations like that are IRRELEVANT when talking about RIGHTS, esp a fundamental ENUMERATED RIGHT THAT SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Idaho open carry...

The Idaho legislature works differently than California's. With no screwing around, the measure passed yesterday by The Senate State Affairs Committee not only made it to the senate chamber but was voted on and passed by a vote of 27 to 8. Much celebration ensued just before lunch.

Idaho Statesman article..http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/p...e65979502.html

Last edited by -hanko; 03-16-2016 at 2:33 PM.. Reason: eta newspaper story...
Old 03-16-2016, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Idaho legislature works differently than California's. With no screwing around, the measure passed yesterday by The Senate State Affairs Committee not only made it to the senate chamber but was voted on and passed by a vote of 27 to 8. Much celebration ensued just before lunch.

Nothing in the Idaho Statesman yet.
Good to hear.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016...ses-the-senate

Last edited by wireless; 03-16-2016 at 1:22 PM..
Old 03-17-2016, 7:21 AM

Quote:

It is sweet!!

Old 03-17-2016, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Be sure to contact you rep and ask them to get this to the floor for a vote and off to the Gov.

http://legislature.idaho.gov/house/committees.cfm

http://legislature.idaho.gov/house/membership.cfm

Old 03-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Calguns Addict

How come Idaho isn't on the list in post #1?
Old 03-17-2016, 12:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofSoCal View Post
How come Idaho isn't on the list in post #1?
PM OP and ask??

Old 03-17-2016, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Dead
-Colorado
-Utah
-Virginia

Pending
-Kentucky
-Louisiana (constitutional ammendment and legislative bill)
-Indiana
-New Hampshire
-Michigan
-Mississippi
-Missouri
-New Hampshire
-Pennsylvania
-Tennesse

Hybrid
-South Carolina [permitless concealed carry] PENDING

Passed [2016]
-West Virginia

Current Total: 8 (West Virginia, Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, Arkansas, Maine, Kansas, Wyoming)
Where's Idaho?

Also, Montana should be noted in that: no permit required if outside city limits

New Mexico: unrestricted/no permit if unloaded

New Hampshire: unrestricted/no permit if unloaded

Commonwealth of Puerto Rico: they went Con Carry in June of last year, so make it 9 total.
Old 03-17-2016, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

I put Idaho back on the list. I must have deleted it accidentally when updating original post.

This thread is about pending bill statuses. While those things you posted above are interesting, it's not the point of my original thread. I'm not saying don't discuss those, but I want to clarify what original post is about.

Puerto Rico's constitutional carry ruling is currently stayed pending appeal.

Last edited by wireless; 03-17-2016 at 1:11 PM..
Old 03-17-2016, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I put Idaho back in. I must have deleted it accidentally when updating original post.

This thread is about pending bill statuses. While those things you posted above are interesting, it's not the point of my original thread. I'm not saying don't discuss those, but I want to clarify what original post is about.

Puerto Rico's constitutional carry ruling is currently stayed pending appeal.
Ah so. Just thought it was noteworthy.

At any rate, I just left a comment on the Idaho Statesmen... check newest.