Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-26-2022, 5:07 AM

Default can't find any GOOD Body/Trial Cam apps.

By "good" I mean the following (to me obvious) capabilities:

1)Trial Cam: turn any phone with or without service into a trial cam that would look for certain levels of changes in the pixels its camera is producing (motion detection) then snap a pic and/or begin recording video. Due to short batt life when taking video this would often be when plugged into charging cable and other power source. Phones with or w/out service could then send pics and vids to nearby device via Bluetooth in real time, or just store. Maybe automatically re-size existing files to make more room if needed. Included would be an app that runs on the 'device' (another old phone) that is getting sent the data via Bluetooth for it to 'wrap' constantly and save the newest data on rolling basis. This would allow using any two old phones to become a secure CCTV cam.

2)A FREE Bodycam To The Cloud Real Time app for phones with data-plan. I'm already paying for "unlimited data" and there are several Cloud services offering FREE starter levels of several gigs, so why can't my phone be set to take pics or video of some resolution and send to Cloud. Idea would be if something bad happens and they steal or smash your phone there will still be video/pics in The Cloud which they can't touch.

These are apps I'd pay some real money for, maybe even more than the common $4.95 at the Google Store.

Any technical reasons these are impossible?

Would adding such feature finally give people a reason to upgrade for the first time since 2014?
Old 02-26-2022, 3:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just a situation of using the wrong tool for the job.
Phones prioritize battery life over being a security camera.
Most phones don't have IR illuminator like you would want on a trail/security camera.
Several gigs isn't very much when recording high definition/bitrate video.
Most people would rather use a camera designed for the job than use their $600+ phone.
Old 03-02-2022, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodTurner View Post
Just a situation of using the wrong tool for the job.
Phones prioritize battery life over being a security camera.
Most phones don't have IR illuminator like you would want on a trail/security camera.
Several gigs isn't very much when recording high definition/bitrate video.
Most people would rather use a camera designed for the job than use their $600+ phone.
yeah, but somehow that would be an ADDITIONAL monthy "plan" for Live To The Cloud safety backup AND another device to lug around. Sure some dedicated Tacky-Kool ruggized gizmo could be better, but I don't get why my current unit can't do 95% of the job with just a few lines of code in an app.

I'm not even trying to do anything fancy that requires large amounts of coding like a video game with features. I'm just wanting to tell camera to feed data to cell tower, just like I know it can sorta do with up loading or downloading youtube's with my "unlimited data plan" (with IIRC 100Gig month "warning" AKA throttling).

I don't get why this isn't a standard phone feature.

I guess I could get some Pay for Play video conf app and....have TWO phones so I can press "answer" then record to The Cloud or whatever.

It seems a new religion that "you can't do EVERYTHING with Smart Phone".

I was thinking of this as body cam for doing Security in rough areas but seems like it would have million and one everyday uses, too.