Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-02-2022, 5:22 PM

Try to narrow down the specs, such as:
-how many lumens
(I'm no lighting expert but lumens seems to be one factor which most of the light companies are commonly advertising. If there's another factor which someone prefers, such as candela/candle-power, use that).
-physical size
-I saw belt-clip or not having such was a factor for the OP, so add that in.
-Determine if a duty-belt pouch/holder is OK or not.

I'm now retired and haven't kept up with all the new flashlight companies. I also don't care at the moment if something is made in China or not, but if all else was equal, I'd probably go for the light not-made-in-China or it not being from a Chinese-company (I'm mean PRC=China, not the ethnic group of the folks running the company).

Back to being old & retired. I still tend to go for either Streamlight or Surefire. Looking at Streamlight's website:
https://www.streamlight.com/products...-series/protac
The current products which got my attention are the "Protac HL" series with 4, 3, & 2 cr123 cell versions; choose your size and lumens.

Why? For me and where I worked in LE, I didn't like the rechargeable stuff as much as it was just one more thing, besides the radio, which I had to remember to put on & off a charger.

The charger was kept either at my home, or my desk, if I had an assignment with a desk. We didn't usually have a locker room where I could trust my equipment would still there if I left equipment out, whether a day or a couple of weeks later (but other cops wouldn't steal {or borrow} something, right?).

I suspect Surefire will have similar 2, 3, & 4 cell versions, but likely at near twice the price.

I preferred to have replaceable batteries, not rechargeable, where I could always carry or buy spares while out & about in the field/patrol car.

The OP's Pelican light seems to be running just over 1,000 lumens. Whether the smaller, more portable pocket/duty-belt light needs to also be 1,000 lumens or only 600 or so will be up to the OP. (i started with 3 or 4 D-cell "Maglite-brand" flashlights and they were never enough for me). The equivalent sized Streamlight SL20 series was better, but nothing near what's available now.

Edit to Add.
Here's a Surefire-brand I'd consider if I just had to spend more money and wanted the smaller size with a pocket clip:
https://www.surefire.com/products/il...ights/edcl2-t/

Last edited by L-2; 01-02-2022 at 5:27 PM..
Old 01-03-2022, 6:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
Try to narrow down the specs, such as:
-how many lumens
(I'm no lighting expert but lumens seems to be one factor which most of the light companies are commonly advertising. If there's another factor which someone prefers, such as candela/candle-power, use that).
Seems like 1000 lumens is an industry standard for LEOs.

Quote:
For me and where I worked in LE, I didn't like the rechargeable stuff as much as it was just one more thing, besides the radio, which I had to remember to put on & off a charger.
When it comes to a flashlight, I like the idea of charging it in a patrol car by you using a USB cable. Maybe the light will only need a top off, but throwing it on a USB micro or C for 30 minutes seems to work. I'm thinking- come on shift and throw it on the charger in the car for the first 15-30 minutes and top it off or let it charge while you patrol and grab it for the first call. All of this can be obviously avoided with an in-locker room charger. But whatever works. I just love the USB lights.

Quote:
I preferred to have replaceable batteries, not rechargeable, where I could always carry or buy spares while out & about in the field/patrol car.
That Streamlight Protac HPL is duel fuel and will take the CR123 batteries. But for me, the light charges fast and I wont need to buy the non-rechargeable units. Plus the CR123s are expensive and a pain to keep buying over and over.

Last edited by 702dog; 01-03-2022 at 8:00 PM..
Old 01-03-2022, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

I have been using the Nightstick 9744XL metal for about 4 years (3 years on graveyards). My only complaint was the switch started to get sensitive and engage the strobe. Mashing it down instead of a gentile touch fixed the issue. Fits perfect in a baton ring.

Then again, my co-worker had one that the battery caught fire while charging.

Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.
Old 01-04-2022, 8:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fal_762x51 View Post
I have been using the Nightstick 9744XL metal for about 4 years (3 years on graveyards). My only complaint was the switch started to get sensitive and engage the strobe. Mashing it down instead of a gentile touch fixed the issue. Fits perfect in a baton ring.

Then again, my co-worker had one that the battery caught fire while charging.

I would still go Streamlight and their lifetime warranty would fix the switch issue.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702dog View Post
If you miss the old Streamlight Stinger, the Protac HPL is close to the same thing. I use mine weekly and love it. And it charges by USB quickly.
I am still using my 22 year old Stinger. But I like that Protac HPL. Thank you for sharing
Old 01-06-2022, 7:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
I am still using my 22 year old Stinger. But I like that Protac HPL. Thank you for sharing
Get the Protac HPL, you'll love it and wish you bought it earlier.