Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:45 PM

Default My holster experience so far

I have ordered concealmentexpress.com’s glock 19 and shield 9 IWB kydex holsters and for that purpose they work perfectly. 3 or 4 oclock. The glocks grip does print a little, so for summer carry i use the shield. Winter carry, glock.

I ordered a kydex single magazine holster for the shield and it feels like it digs into my side. I carry that spare mag at 9 oclock

I tried a belly band, but i cant get it to work. The one i ordered is not long enough for my body. The hook and loop system is too weak to hold itself up, keeps coming apart, so i dont trust it.

Last edited by Skalinas; 12-11-2018 at 10:47 PM..
Old 12-11-2018, 10:57 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Safariland, DeSantis, or Black Arch horizontal mag pouch. I prefer the Black Arch.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-HMC-2-9...dp/B00HIIV9IY/

Old 12-11-2018, 11:35 PM

That mag pouch looks a lot more comfortable.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:45 PM

Raise your hand if you have a drawer or area filled with holsters.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalinas View Post
I have ordered concealmentexpress.com’s glock 19 and shield 9 IWB kydex holsters and for that purpose they work perfectly. 3 or 4 oclock. The glocks grip does print a little, so for summer carry i use the shield. Winter carry, glock.

I ordered a kydex single magazine holster for the shield and it feels like it digs into my side. I carry that spare mag at 9 oclock

I tried a belly band, but i cant get it to work. The one i ordered is not long enough for my body. The hook and loop system is too weak to hold itself up, keeps coming apart, so i dont trust it.
Skalinas I think the printing on the Glock can be handled with some adjustment but I need to know more about clothing type and your size.

As for the mag holster can you post a picture, I might be able to diagnose a solution besides just telling you to buy one of mine.

Also need to know the type of belly band, only the really cool ones advertised in USCCA and on the IDPA website are traditionally problems. (of course with any ignore the advice to wash in a washing machine, always hand wash). Also they aren't worn around the belly.

Feel free to call to discuss (949)528-7385
Old 12-12-2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentonandSasquatchShow View Post
Oh yeah. Not sure how many in total but I have 4 for my primary.
Old 12-12-2018, 3:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
"My holster drawer really isn't that full."

At least, this the lie I tell myself.

Fighter Pilot
Old 12-12-2018, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

You only have a drawer full of holsters because you didn't go to a CCW Solution Provider to try holsters and get fitted.
Old 12-13-2018, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
You only have a drawer full of holsters because you didn't go to a CCW Solution Provider to try holsters and get fitted.
What are the cons associated with a simple holster like a Bianchi 6, aside from no positive retention feature? I'm using one for a J-frame and another for a compact Glock.
Old 12-17-2018, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
What are the cons associated with a simple holster like a Bianchi 6, aside from no positive retention feature? I'm using one for a J-frame and another for a compact Glock.
Depends on your life style. For most people especially carrying a J-Frame the lack of retention is a non issue. The primary problems with this holster are the clip. It's a pretty standard clip but it's not tuckable, so do you ever need to wear a tucked in shirt without a jacket? Is there any chance you would have to go jacket off if you wore it outside the shirt when tucked in? You can't adjust the can't of the weapon which is great if your standing straight, but in the real world outside of the range in most cases you won't be, you'll be sitting, kneeling behind cover, engage in grappling when needing to draw, but overall it can do the job. Lastly is the issue of collapsing. Unlike a Sticky Holster or Remora which after a draw you remove from your body, reholster in a safe direction and reholster, this model stays put and now post stress or an number of other factors you trying to reholster into a holster that can collapse in. With a J-Frame and stock trigger pull, less of an issue than a striker fired or single action semi-auto where pushing and fitting the gun back in can result in an ND or the safety being moved to off. Lastly you have to make sure this style clip locks under the belt, and isn't over a belt loop.

For revolver my main concern are lack of cant and tuckability. Hope that helps.

They can be very comfortable.
Old 12-17-2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Depends on your life style. For most people especially carrying a J-Frame the lack of retention is a non issue. The primary problems with this holster are the clip. It's a pretty standard clip but it's not tuckable, so do you ever need to wear a tucked in shirt without a jacket? Is there any chance you would have to go jacket off if you wore it outside the shirt when tucked in? You can't adjust the can't of the weapon which is great if your standing straight, but in the real world outside of the range in most cases you won't be, you'll be sitting, kneeling behind cover, engage in grappling when needing to draw, but overall it can do the job. Lastly is the issue of collapsing. Unlike a Sticky Holster or Remora which after a draw you remove from your body, reholster in a safe direction and reholster, this model stays put and now post stress or an number of other factors you trying to reholster into a holster that can collapse in. With a J-Frame and stock trigger pull, less of an issue than a striker fired or single action semi-auto where pushing and fitting the gun back in can result in an ND or the safety being moved to off. Lastly you have to make sure this style clip locks under the belt, and isn't over a belt loop.

For revolver my main concern are lack of cant and tuckability. Hope that helps.

They can be very comfortable.
Appreciate that.

I have a pocket holster if I absolutely need to tuck in my shirt, but I find that to be uncomfortable so I regard it as a last-resort kind of thing. Would you recommend an IWB holster for a J-frame with adjustable cant? Adjustable cant with tuckability? Bianchi 3s has adjustable cant, but no tuckability.
Old 12-18-2018, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Appreciate that.

I have a pocket holster if I absolutely need to tuck in my shirt, but I find that to be uncomfortable so I regard it as a last-resort kind of thing. Would you recommend an IWB holster for a J-frame with adjustable cant? Adjustable cant with tuckability? Bianchi 3s has adjustable cant, but no tuckability.
Well obviously you have to take this with a grain of salt because I am a CCW shop. Holsters and other means of concealment are all I do, I don't sell guns or ammo, and I don't make my own holsters they are either off the shelf or made to my design for me. Having said that my recommendation for a J-Frame IWB tuckable cant adjustable holster is my own Kydex design. The question then is how do you want to attach the holster to you since I have five different clips each used for a different reason. At this point if your curious or interested it's best to call me and discuss. Of course if your in OC you can stop by the shop with your gun and try it on. Always best to try before you buy if at all possible, plus if you want to schedule a consultation we can fit you and make sure it works for you, answer any questions etc.

Pocket works OK but as you point out pants pocket can be uncomfortable. Coat pocket is a different equation, especially in cold weather. My complaint with pants pocket is there are to many cases where it's hard to get, hard to operate and becomes less safe (not so much with a j-frame).
Old 12-18-2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Well obviously you have to take this with a grain of salt because I am a CCW shop. Holsters and other means of concealment are all I do, I don't sell guns or ammo, and I don't make my own holsters they are either off the shelf or made to my design for me. Having said that my recommendation for a J-Frame IWB tuckable cant adjustable holster is my own Kydex design. The question then is how do you want to attach the holster to you since I have five different clips each used for a different reason. At this point if your curious or interested it's best to call me and discuss. Of course if your in OC you can stop by the shop with your gun and try it on. Always best to try before you buy if at all possible, plus if you want to schedule a consultation we can fit you and make sure it works for you, answer any questions etc.

Pocket works OK but as you point out pants pocket can be uncomfortable. Coat pocket is a different equation, especially in cold weather. My complaint with pants pocket is there are to many cases where it's hard to get, hard to operate and becomes less safe (not so much with a j-frame).
Many thanks, will have a look the next time I am down there. Do you have merchandise on display in the lobby, or is it purely online?
Old 12-19-2018, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Many thanks, will have a look the next time I am down there. Do you have merchandise on display in the lobby, or is it purely online?
Merchandise is on display in the lobby, and your welcome to take anything out of the package and play with it. Having said that if you set up an appointment I am more than happy to come in and help with a fitting discussing strengths and weaknesses. If you have a holster you like but isn't quite right, sometimes we can fix it, adjust it, etc and make it right. The key is having it right, the holster is the last 1.5 seconds in a situation that is out of hand, your life depends on you having your gun, and holster functioning under stress, and post stress.

I can get items like concealment clothing, off body carry etc that I don't stock, if there is a special need for such.

I have the online store, but that is mainly for follow ups when we have clients at gun shows, or at the law enforcement meetings such as the California Gang Task Force briefings I work. I am sure there are some guys on this forum that can tell you, about my telling them to wait on a holster, or selling them a holster for one gun but discouraging them from buying on for each gun until they were sure it worked for them. Or they weren't sure of the model. Whole number of reasons to come back to us. A lot of people try to sell volume online, I am not one of them because I see myself as a tailor, I am working to solve your need for your comfort and effectiveness. Just like the leading shoe maker makes quality shoes, they make a range because one model isn't right for everyone. Sometimes fitting is more than the numbers.

I like to understand the client, suppose you have a J-frame but you have put a grip laser on it, that changes the holster. Suppose you have a Glock 19, and you put a competition extended mag release on the gun. Some holsters that isn't a problem they don't cove the mag release, I do because I build holsters for cops who may be in a grappling match, but I need to know about the custom work to have holster built that will leave the right size pocket and be strong enough to prevent the mag being released. Ordering on line it's just off the rack stuff. Really important to custom work with lefties.

Anyway I don't want to bore you, the shop is open six days a week, and we do sell on line, return shipping is on the buyer, but we prefer working with our customer. When was the last time your holster seller wanted to talk clips with you. How do you carry your spare ammo. (J-Frame I usually recommend speed strips and a leatherman type belt holster but there are a couple of tricks to make this happen).

Stay safe.
Old 12-26-2018, 1:18 AM

grantar2, i would definitely visit your shop, but it is a long drive from Sacramento down to Los Angeles. About 430 miles.

I am sort of overweight but i am losing weight. I have lost about 30lbs of fat in a few months. I think once i get rid of this excess weight it will not be so bad.

I have shifted the mag holder a little more towards 8:30 which makes it not dig in as much. As for why i am printing with the glock 19, i think that it is because i am basing the printing off of only wearing a tshirt. Also, it is not really a big deal if you print because no one really notices it. I am more worried about reaching up which makes my shirt go up and completely show the gun off.
Old 12-26-2018, 1:20 AM

Basically, i need to wear better cover if ccwing.
Old 01-04-2019, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckallred View Post
My research indicates that a cheap ($35) kydex pocket holster off ebay, made for my CCW gun, is as good as it gets.

I finally gave up on any type of waistband carry (anywhere on the clock). Pocket gun for me.
Your research is incorrect, however if pocket works for you and you understand the limitations (depending on pocket, say pants vs jacket) than good. Just do yourself a favor, with an empty gun, dry fire practice drawing from prone, sitting in a car seat, seat belt on, kneeling behind cover, running, and do them all to a 1.5 to 2.5 second timer. Set the time on random, and use the clothing you really wear, not your gun practice clothing.

Not all Kydex holsters are equal, not leather, etc.

Stay safe and practice.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalinas View Post
Basically, i need to wear better cover if ccwing.
You may be doing fine, you should not have to change what you normally wear to CCW. Now that said, some components may require adjustments, but that is doable.

I have clients that wear scrubs which won't support certain holsters, I have a client that wears a full size 1911 well wearing yoga pants (long story) and others who have skin conditions that limit the kind of friction their skin can handle, others have back or intestinal issues that prevent them wearing belts. I have doctors, dentists, lawyers, under cover gang officers, service writers, truckers you name it. They don't, and shouldn't have to change their style / brand.

Now if you want to carry IWB but go shirtless or for gals wear a crop top that is a problem, If you want to carry appendix style but are built like Homer Simpson that can be a hard one too.

If you feel like chatting about how your setting up and your concerns feel free to call.
Old 01-12-2019, 1:09 PM

Quote:
More like an area in our spare bedroom that has 3 boxes filled w holsters. Finally decided to go w Vedder for all carry guns except for my Shield 9mm- for that I have a Zorn Skinny Rig.

Never buying holsters off Amazon again. Finally found 1-2 companies that I'm sticking with from now on that both have excellent customer service who know me-- Vedder and Zorn holsters.
Old 01-12-2019, 2:27 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You have been very helpful and you're a heck of a nice guy Art, but with all due respect I disagree somewhat. One of the holsters in my drawer is the one you sold me. What works over the course of a tryout and fitting at a gun show or in a shop may or may not work over the course of a day/week/month going through your life at work and play. My life as a service tech and contractor just wasn't jiving well with a single clip tuckable holster. I'm not the least bit upset about it, it was a good place to start but it just wasn't for me and that's okay because a friend of mine is going to try it out and it might work for him.

I had the proverbial drawer full, but it's now about half full as I have passed on a few of the ones that didn't work for me to other CCW'ers. I honestly think it's a crap shoot and the only real suggestion I can offer is to not be a cheapskate. That and to say the belly and ankle bands are in my opinion worthless.
Old 01-14-2019, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
You have been very helpful and you're a heck of a nice guy Art, but with all due respect I disagree somewhat. One of the holsters in my drawer is the one you sold me. What works over the course of a tryout and fitting at a gun show or in a shop may or may not work over the course of a day/week/month going through your life at work and play. My life as a service tech and contractor just wasn't jiving well with a single clip tuckable holster. I'm not the least bit upset about it, it was a good place to start but it just wasn't for me and that's okay because a friend of mine is going to try it out and it might work for him.

I had the proverbial drawer full, but it's now about half full as I have passed on a few of the ones that didn't work for me to other CCW'ers. I honestly think it's a crap shoot and the only real suggestion I can offer is to not be a cheapskate. That and to say the belly and ankle bands are in my opinion worthless.
Sorry the holster I sold you didn't work, but I wish you would have contacted me. I have a 15 day return policy with original packaging and will occasionally do more, as well as going over what didn't work to find a better solution even if it's not a solution I carry. I have hands on experience with a lot of brands. My single clip holsters can take anyone of five different clips, and can even go double clip using a special arrangement with the retention screw. (you do lose the cant). I would say it's like taking an item back to the tailor.

As for belly bands they aren't for most, but for some of my medical professionals in scrubs they are the best answer. Also for some of my Gang Task Force guys who use them for deep concealment admittedly those are generally custom rigs that are fairly pricey and complex.

What did you finally settle on?