Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2020, 7:26 AM

Unhappy Selling Unregistered AR-15 w/ BB

Hello, I must have been asleep during the whole registration thing for bullet button AR's, so I'm in possession of such a rifle illegally I suppose? Anyway, I'm unfortunately looking at potentially being charged with a felony in the near future so I'm trying to proactively sell my firearms now, ideally just to a local dealer/pawn broker. Am I going to have trouble selling the AR, or what do I need to do.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2020, 7:27 AM
Casual Plinker
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

just separate the upper from the lower. you're then good to go.
Old 01-10-2020, 7:30 AM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csshih View Post
just separate the upper from the lower. you're then good to go.
Appreciate your time, thank you.
Old 01-10-2020, 8:04 AM

Don't know if you're trolling or not. But if you want to be safe from any chance of catching a felony separate lower from upper. Even better if you have a little know how strip the lower then order complaint parts for featureless or maglock. Reassemble your former bullet buttoned firearms with compliance parts. You'll have more time to sell or keep.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2020, 8:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Separate the upper and lower. Get the special BB tool and remove it. Install a standard mag release. Make the remainder of the gun featureless.

Your gun is now legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 01-10-2020, 8:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Buy a fixed mag device or remove the gas tube making it not a semi-auto.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 01-10-2020, 9:58 AM

As others have said, step one is to sperate the upper and lower. Then step two is to remove the bullet button. Step three is to decide which compliant option you want to take with your rifle: a) detachable magazine but featureless, or b) fixed magazine with features. Step four us to proceed with the build modification you decide on.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
Buy a fixed mag device or remove the gas tube making it not a semi-auto.

Removed gas tube is not a solid position to be in, if there is a gas port in the barrel and a gas block, then you have a broken semi-auto, not a single rifle mechanism.

Separation (and should be sold separately), removal of features, or fixed magazine (with 10rd max magazines). Those three options are best.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 01-13-2020, 10:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt11 View Post
As others have said, step one is to sperate the upper and lower. Then step two is to remove the bullet button. Step three is to decide which compliant option you want to take with your rifle: a) detachable magazine but featureless, or b) fixed magazine with features. Step four us to proceed with the build modification you decide on.
You missed step 5: quit working for ATF because your so obvious it’s annoying.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 01-13-2020, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packy14 View Post
You missed step 5: quit working for ATF because your so obvious it’s annoying.
ATF does not care about CA 'assault weapons'.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-14-2020, 7:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Several people mentioned removing the BB device. That is irrelevant, it is not illegal to have installed it is just NOT any value as a compliance device any longer; if you just want to get rid of the rifle it can stay, does not matter.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 01-14-2020, 2:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm sure a lot of people do not hang out on CAL GUNS or keep up on every new liberty grab. A lot of people do end up playing catch-up and wonder what they should do about those BB AR's under the bed that they have not thought about for ten years.
Old 01-14-2020, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
Removed gas tube is not a solid position to be in, if there is a gas port in the barrel and a gas block, then you have a broken semi-auto, not a single rifle mechanism.

Separation (and should be sold separately), removal of features, or fixed magazine (with 10rd max magazines). Those three options are best.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
I believe the regs say otherwise as a lot of guys are doing this with straight pull type Ars. Someone better than can come along and post it but I know I read it when they were released. Now if it were shutting off an adjustable gas block that would be totally different. Removing the gas tube or complete system was enough to satisfy the PC.
Old 01-14-2020, 3:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I'm sure a lot of people do not hang out on CAL GUNS or keep up on every new liberty grab. A lot of people do end up playing catch-up and wonder what they should do about those BB AR's under the bed that they have not thought about for ten years.
Do like me. Keep the receivers separate and in separate rooms. Shoot them out of state. If things ever go seriously sideways, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to take the 10 seconds it takes to put the upper on the lower and start putting a hurting on whatever troubles may arise.
Old 01-14-2020, 3:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Do like me. Keep the receivers separate and in separate rooms. Shoot them out of state.
I went all featureless way before any deadlines.
Old 01-14-2020, 3:17 PM
Calguns Addict

If you go "featureless" make sure you make the upper compliant by removing the flashhider and any vertical forward grip it may have. You have to make sure BOTH the upper AND lower are compliant if you put it back together.

Some previous posts only addressed modifying the lower but there are parts on the upper that may fit the CA AW definition that need to be removed for the upper assembly to become "featureless".

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by Tere_Hanges; 01-14-2020 at 3:20 PM..
Old 01-14-2020, 3:42 PM

As has already been said get aboard the featureless train asap. The state has no way of knowing if or when you did or did not convert to featureless. However if you ever want to shoot sell or transport the rifle without risking a felony you must bring it into compliance.
Old 01-14-2020, 3:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

7 posts in 8 years just got out of jail I guess.
Old 01-14-2020, 4:51 PM

@ post 19. I think he just gave the DOJ the info of when he hadn't complied with the law. I think he's a troll from the DOJ or pays no attention to the news media.
Old 01-14-2020, 5:57 PM

Either A) Delete this post, do some research, and stop admitting to crimes in public; or B) Go back to using an unmarked to follow people back from Reno gun shows because your troll game sucks for a state guy.
Old 01-14-2020, 6:45 PM

some of the OPs question didn't get directly answered though. NO you can't sell it like it is, nobody will transfer that. Convert it first, then you can sell it.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:56 AM

in the simplest terms: if there is no bolt in it; it is not semiautomatic.

Period.
Old 01-15-2020, 2:05 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredKaragen View Post
in the simplest terms: if there is no bolt in it; it is not semiautomatic.

Period.
But, it can be considered a "broken" semi-auto (semi-auto centerfire rifle with restricted features with the bolt-carrier group removed but stored nearby the firearm).
Which was determined during a CA court case resulting in a conviction for possession of an assault weapon.
Since the defendant did not appeal the conviction, it did not become CA case law.
However, what occured can still be referenced/utilized by any of the 58 DA's Office, if they choose to prosecute for a similar case.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 01-15-2020 at 2:08 AM..
Old 01-15-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Do like me. Keep the receivers separate and in separate rooms. Shoot them out of state. If things ever go seriously sideways, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to take the 10 seconds it takes to put the upper on the lower and start putting a hurting on whatever troubles may arise.
While I was waiting on my BBAW registration application approval, I kept the receivers in separate locked containers in two different locations (not different rooms of the same location). The receivers were close enough to be accessed, but not close enough to be confiscated as a complete firearm.
Old 01-16-2020, 8:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If the cops confiscate it they will re-assemble it for you.
Old 01-17-2020, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets&Whitewalls View Post
I believe the regs say otherwise as a lot of guys are doing this with straight pull type Ars. Someone better than can come along and post it but I know I read it when they were released. Now if it were shutting off an adjustable gas block that would be totally different. Removing the gas tube or complete system was enough to satisfy the PC.
You are correct and this is confirmed in the regs. You can remove the gas tune and be good to go as single shot.
Old 01-17-2020, 2:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Wink Truth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
For free, no less. They might even do some free function testing, too.
Lock you up as well. Slight svc charge to tax payers...

Your actual charges may vary based on you constitutional belief.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 01-18-2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
But, it can be considered a "broken" semi-auto (semi-auto centerfire rifle with restricted features with the bolt-carrier group removed but stored nearby the firearm).
Which was determined during a CA court case resulting in a conviction for possession of an assault weapon.
Since the defendant did not appeal the conviction, it did not become CA case law.
However, what occured can still be referenced/utilized by any of the 58 DA's Office, if they choose to prosecute for a similar case.
The facts being what they are; puts this in the same realm the AR-15 lower is in presently.

I do 100% agree with you though. They can always press you for whatever reason, but that does not mean that the definition is being applied correctly; which can be easily pointed out in court. "broken" is subjective and undefined legally as far as I can tell.