Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > Santa Margarita Gun Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Santa Margarita Gun Club Competitive Shooting Sports for Active and Retired Military, civilians and juniors

Old 05-29-2008, 7:43 PM

Default SMGC Practice

I'm posting this so you can check out what competition is all about.
SANTA MARGARITA GUN CLUB
SMGC Open Practice (200-600 yards)
June 21, 2008 (Sat)
Registration starts at 0700 at the range house. Firing will begin NLT 0845 daily. Course of fire to be determined by consensus.
Any rifle and sight. Caliber restrictions: .22-.30 Cal (center fire only)
Entry Fees:
Members: $5.00
Daily Associate Member Fee: $10.00
Old 05-30-2008, 5:51 PM

As mentioned in another thread I'm new to this...will there be someone around to help point me in the right direction? It's not going to be too formal is it?
Old 05-31-2008, 7:04 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat head guy View Post
As mentioned in another thread I'm new to this...will there be someone around to help point me in the right direction? It's not going to be too formal is it?
Don't worry! We'll make you feel welcome and you'll get all the help you need to see what it's all about. Just let us know when you show up you're new to high power and you'll get squadded with folks who will show you the ropes.

Just be sure to get to the gate to Camp Pendleton early, have your current CA DL, registration and proof of insurance ready to go, and tell the MP at the gate you're coming for high power practice at Wilcox range 103. They'll send you into the shack to check your docs and get you a guest pass, which takes 10 minutes or so, and then plan on 20 min. or so (depending on the gate - - first time, use the main gate off I-5) to get to the range. There are good directions on the club website, but if you have questions, PM me and I'll give you more detail.

Be sure to bring rifle (locked in case per base rules) ammo (locked in case per base rules, no greater than .308 caliber), sling if you're going to shoot service rifle or bi-pod if you're going to shoot any/any or F-class, and if you have one, a shooting glove, a shooting mat and either a spotting scope or binoculars if you have them (helpful but not absolutely essential), eye and ear protection (mandatory), plus you'll want sun screen, plenty of water, energy snacks, and some rope about 5' long and at least 1/2" in diameter to use for target pulling . . . you'll see why when you get to the target pits!

Come, enjoy, get hooked.

Paratus et Vigilans

Prepared and On Guard
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take from you all you have." - Gerald R. Ford

Last edited by Paratus et Vigilans; 05-31-2008 at 7:07 AM..
Old 05-31-2008, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I asked Charles Guzman today at our local range about the SMGC practice sessions and he stated that usually it consists of running a standard 80 round course of fire, as a practice match. Is that the case?

If so, I'll most likely show up since it'll be the perfect time for me to get zeros and test loads in the new WOA SR upper I received a couple weeks ago (to keep in reserve once my current upper's barrel goes south).

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 06-01-2008, 3:24 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
I asked Charles Guzman today at our local range about the SMGC practice sessions and he stated that usually it consists of running a standard 80 round course of fire, as a practice match. Is that the case?

If so, I'll most likely show up since it'll be the perfect time for me to get zeros and test loads in the new WOA SR upper I received a couple weeks ago (to keep in reserve once my current upper's barrel goes south).
They often wind up being practice matches for an 80 shot XTC, but the way it truly works is that those who show up take a vote on what to do, and that's how the course of fire gets decided.

Paratus et Vigilans

Prepared and On Guard
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take from you all you have." - Gerald R. Ford
Old 06-02-2008, 9:13 AM

Paratus,

First of all, thanks so much for the information here in regards to the SMGC.

You mentioned that the rifle needs to be in a locked case. Do you mean upon entering Pendleton or for when you are walking from car to shooting area? Is my trunk a locked case? I ask because my only carry case is a USGI type zip up. Not sure I can rig a lock onto it.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by csorin View Post
Paratus,

You mentioned that the rifle needs to be in a locked case. Do you mean upon entering Pendleton or for when you are walking from car to shooting area? Is my trunk a locked case? I ask because my only carry case is a USGI type zip up. Not sure I can rig a lock onto it.
You're welcome!

The rifle and the ammo have to be in separate, locked cases upon entry of base all the way to the range. Once you're there and parked, you can unlock and get your gear ready to take to the line. Just locking them in the trunk is not enough.

Stich a loop onto your case where the zipper closes, and padlock the zipper to the loop! Or buy a cheapie gun case that has that setup. I use plastic ammo cans from Cabela's to lock up my ammo. I've never had the MP's check my guns and ammo, but that doesn't mean they won't, sometime.

Paratus et Vigilans

Prepared and On Guard
Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Default SMGC EVENTS

The Vintage Rifle Match, June 29 is the perfect place to bring out the old bolt action military rifles; Schmidt-Rubin, Moisin Nagant, Mauser, Krag, Lee, Lebel and Mannlicher as well as the venerable Springfield are all welcome at the Match.

Vintage Uniforms and apparel are greatly appreciated.

As I said it's the perfect place to take the old war horse out for a workout!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:00 AM

How long do the practices usually run?
Old 06-19-2008, 3:11 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
How long do the practices usually run?
You can expect to be done by early afternoon. 2ish.

Paratus et Vigilans

Prepared and On Guard
Old 06-24-2008, 4:23 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Paratus,

So, did you make it out on Saturday? Were you with the group shooting on Target 91 or 92 with the M-N M44?

Hope you did make it, and that you had a good (if very HOT) time!

Paratus et Vigilans

Prepared and On Guard
Old 06-27-2008, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratus et Vigilans View Post
So, did you make it out on Saturday? Were you with the group shooting on Target 91 or 92 with the M-N M44?

Hope you did make it, and that you had a good (if very HOT) time!

Actually I was the one on Target 91 with the M44 and the Yugo SKS. I really had a good time! Thanks for all the tips/pointers! That was my first time shooting my rifles at that range. Everyone was friendly and helpful! See you next month. By the way, were you the RSO?
Old 07-24-2008, 9:19 PM

I'm thinking that we should do the standing blind (dryfire, live fire, dryfire every time SMGC holds a accross the course practice. This is the only way to teach yourself how to shoot standing. In order to learn, you must put the effert to it and this is the way to do it. Swingman
Old 07-25-2008, 4:02 PM

I was the RSO. Gene was the instructor/coach for the clinic
John
Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM

I'd love to know when you have novice day again - I'd like to come out and give it a try.
Old 08-19-2008, 7:58 AM

We work up novices all the time, practice won't be until Sept, 20. So the next opportunity will be this weekend.
Old 08-19-2008, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHermsen View Post
We work up novices all the time, practice won't be until Sept, 20. So the next opportunity will be this weekend.
What time and where?
Old 08-20-2008, 6:28 PM

We are trying to get rounds down range by 0730. Check out www.santamargaritagunclub.org
the page has all important info and helpful links. If you have any more questions drop another post.
Semper Fi