Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-22-2014, 1:11 PM

Default I understand that this isn't popular, but my husband got me a gun <3

I didn't really take interest in them, except when I realized I had a hard time handling his 'home defense' gun. That slide racking business. I was not super into guns at home, but I felt like, if they're going to be around, I want to know how to use them. I didn't really want to go and try all of the guns at a shop, because I feel like I don't know what I'm looking at, and they all look the same to me. So, I asked him to find me a 'home defense' alternative.
He got me a Kahr CW9. (And some after market pretty-ness, like a pink grip wrap, cause I'm girly like that). He is really pretty good at teaching basics, but I did want to hear some women talk about women issues (it was difficult for me to drop the slide the way he was showing me) so I read some relevant threads on here, clicked on some links, watched some videos. OK, I read a lot of links and watched a LOT of videos.
I find that after mastering the Kahr, I am now also better at handling the larger pistols, may be I just needed motivation to learn. Or something pink? His pistol doesn't seem really large and intimidating anymore, just not as comfortable, and I do not prefer it. But I can work it.
I have tried others since then, and NOW, there are couple more I want. But, the Kahr is my favorite. May be it was just luck. But it fits well, is a perfect weight, and I am good (at the range) with it. It gave me confidence, and I love going to the range. I've had it for a couple years now, and I picked out my very own holster, haha. I want to learn to take it apart, put it back together, and clean it. I want to be able to assemble it from the ground up, and really 'own it'. But I like that he used what he knew about guns and what he knew about me, to pick out something he thought would be good. It really got me comfortable with the idea, and made it fun.

So, I guess I want to say, I don't think that getting a gun for your wife is NECESSARILY a bad thing. I think what's important is to end up with something your wife is super comfortable with, or it's pointless, but I feel that your involvement in that decisions can be anywhere from zero (if she's good like that) to 100% (if she needs your help). Don't throw tomatoes at me!
Old 01-22-2014, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

Lucky you! The Kahr CW9 is an excellent firearm! Disassembling it is as easy as a couple YouTube videos!

I think it's time for a baby blue AR15!

Congrats & good job husband
Old 01-22-2014, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

A little hard to read due to punctuation but I read it and agree. I bought my wife 3 guns and she only likes one of them which happen to be a revolver.
I want her next gun to be at least a 9mm and in case I will be taking her to the store to pick it out.
Old 01-22-2014, 1:27 PM

Welcome! Sounds like you trusted your hubby to make a good gun choice for you. And, it looks as though he was very considerate and thoughtful about it. Glad you're happy with the Kahr. Kudos to you for doing your own due diligence and research!! Let us know what YOUR next gun purchase will be!
Old 01-22-2014, 1:54 PM
Banned

FWIW - my wife just made the decision the last time we went shooting that she wanted to get some "profesional" instruction with a handgun. She was able to find a local resource thorugh an indoor range that was $20 for a 1 hour private lesson (she paid the range time for the hour, and paid for the ammo and was responsible for any of the gun rental charges etc).

She was very happy with the experience.

Just an idea.
Old 01-22-2014, 2:13 PM

We are glad that he was able to brought you into the light.

I dont know much about the Kahr CW9, but most pistols you can release the slide by pulling back on the slide, with a loaded magazine in place. Or; you can pull the slide back a little while pushing down on the slide release.
Old 01-22-2014, 2:16 PM
Veteran Member

Snork don't fall for that trap! Wait till he brings you home a Desert Eagle in 50ae
Old 01-22-2014, 2:45 PM

Welcome & congrats! My fiance settled in on my XD9 - Springfield, 4", 9mm. I rented her 3 other guns to try and she liked that one the best.

Actually, she likes the Winchester lever-action .357 the best!

Also, a good website, that's probably been mentioned here before: http://www.corneredcat.com/
Old 01-22-2014, 6:29 PM

I think that it is awesome that your husband bought you a gun. I hope my hubby buys me one for our anniversary...I've really got my eye on that new Glock pocket pistol!
Old 01-23-2014, 8:56 AM
Banned

The Kahr CW9 is a great CCW weapon. The trigger is very long but breaks nicely. I have 2 of them, and one has just over 1,200 rounds thru it. Watch the edges of the slide stop, it can be a little sharp.

Playing USPSA with the CW9, mag changes are pretty slow compared to the Glock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8lqm...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by HighLander51; 01-23-2014 at 9:02 AM..
Old 01-23-2014, 1:05 PM
tinyurl.com/yxk56hpf
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
The Kahr CW9 is a great CCW weapon. The trigger is very long but breaks nicely. I have 2 of them, and one has just over 1,200 rounds thru it. Watch the edges of the slide stop, it can be a little sharp.

Playing USPSA with the CW9, mag changes are pretty slow compared to the Glock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8lqm...ature=youtu.be
For some reason, your link wasn't working for me. I think it's this one? Was curious to see the USPSA video but it wasn't working for me, haha.

And congratulations OP on your new Kahr. First of many I'm sure.

NRA Lifetime Member

Last edited by LateBraking; 01-23-2014 at 1:08 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 8:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
For some reason, your link wasn't working for me. I think it's this one? Was curious to see the USPSA video but it wasn't working for me, haha.
Yes, thats it. It was just a spoof on a new gun division

New USPSA Pistol Division, Provisional

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub Compact Limited 8 Concealed

Scoring is Minor.

Gun rules: 3.5” barrel maximum, no modifications from factory configuration allowed; exceptions are grip socks or grip tape only.

Magazines loaded to 8 rounds maximum.

Mag pouches; no mag pouches allowed, all magazines from inside the waist band or pockets

Holsters; Only inside the waist band holsters allowed, exception Clip Draw allowed, must loop belt

Concealment is mandatory, must cover gun and magazines. Garment must extend a minimum of 4” below top of belt line, and be continuous around the shooter. Examples; Tee shirt, button down shirt, sweat shirt. Garment must be pulled straight up, not swept aside. No vests allowed.

Subdivsions: LEO, Lady, Junior, Senior, Super Senior, Special Needs
Old 01-24-2014, 9:50 AM

Why isn't it popular?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark501w View Post
Why isn't it popular?
What is it?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 PM

The title .
Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM

The problem for the longest time, men buying their women guns, is that so many men just went out there and made a purchase per their own tastes and biases and then wondered why the wife didn't like the gun. That's how I snatched up an SR9, Taurus PT99, and Walther PPK for real cheap.

Before I bought my fiancee her first gun. She had been to the range over a dozen times. Fired most of the pistols in my down and dirty collection (1911s by Springfield, STI, and Smith and Wesson; all my Ruger pistols [P Series, SR series, Revolvers]; snub nose revolvers galore; and my various Glocks).

In the end she wanted an XDs in .45 ACP which I bought prepared to keep as my own if she didn't like it. Over two hundred rounds later she finally likes it and can shoot 25 rounds through it without killing her hand. Mind you she also shoots my Ruger GP100 6" with little to no trouble at twenty yards and stays within the 10"x10" rifle targets I use for handguns.

She hates snub nose revolvers though, and I love them (so my SP101 DAO .357 is safe . I'd prefer she carry a Ruger LCRX .38 special but she won't listen to me. At the end of the day though I want her to carry what she is comfortable with and wants to practice with. That's the smartest play in my opinion, give a woman what she wants.
Old 03-24-2014, 3:03 PM

I'd like to offer a personal opinion, if I may......

I quite realise that that this opinion is not 'politically correct', these days, but it really is based in quite a few years of first-hand, practical experience.

Firstly........If we speak of a 'home defence' weapon, we're speaking of having to take an action completely foreign to our usual ways of interacting with other people, and doing so under horrific emotional trauma, and an horrific level of stress, a level which one may experience only once in a life-time........amongst other things, its called 'adrenaline world', and its the worst possible place to be.......actually, the second worst, technically, being a helpless victim is......rather obviously.... the very worst.

A great many men will discuss the merits of one or another semi-auto pistol, and be technically correct in those discussions, but, in doing that, they are doing a form of 'tunnel vision'.

The only real advantage of any semi-auto pistol is a larger mag capacity, relative to a revolver, and the speed with which it can be reloaded with a fresh mag.

In a real home defence situation, the range is almost certain to be 20 feet or less, and the length of time the situation exists is all too likely to be a matter of seconds.

A semi-auto has the disadvantage of not being truly mechanically safe with a round in the chamber, so one has the choice of 'condition one' or 'cocked and locked', with safety engaged, 'Israeli carry' with the chamber clear, requiring the weapon to be cycled before it will fire, or one of the 'modern' striker-fired double action semi-autos, which have a long hard trigger pull, if kept with a round in the chamber.

The practical alternative is the best quality double-action revolver, particularly the Colt or S&W, in 38spl. The 'snub-nose' version, such as the S&W 'Chief's special' is adequately accurate at 20 ft. or less range, and, loaded with 'light loads' such as the old standard 148gr. wad-cutter with 2.7 gr. of Bullseye, will be adequately powerful to defeat a human assailant, without injuring the user's wrist.

(added on edit.....I have a personal preference for the model 58 Smith, in 41 mag, with 'hot' loads, which, hopefully, would defeat a large wild pig at close range, but it took me quite few years, and a lot of practice with lighter loads, to 'work up' to being able to handle the 41.....and, yes, it does hurt my wrist a bit if I do more than six rounds at a time....the 41 mag can be loaded to slightly hotter than factory 44 mag spec, but one does have to be ever so careful with that.)

The Colt and Smith DA revolvers are the only style of handgun which can be kept fully loaded, ready to fire with a pull of the trigger, yet mechanically safe if dropped or mis-handled, owing to the inbuilt 'hammer block' system, in which the hammer block is only retracted when the trigger is fully pulled.

Yes, having only five or six shots is not like the modern semi-autos, but, back in the real world, the timing of an assault situaton is such that the matter must be settled in such a short time that five or six rounds will be all there is time for.....so those must be decisive.

Part of that 'decisive' is not having to remember, under stress, whether there is a round in the chamber, or having to remember to take off a manual safety.....or having to go through the long, hard trigger pull of a DA semi-auto, as compared to the DA trigger pull of a DA revolver.

I can assure you that there is no other feeling in the world like having to make the decision to fire on a human being. (admittedly, when I had to deal with that myself, the assailant broke and ran 'within the second' and I did not fire, but it was 'just that close'.) I wouldn't wish that emotional trauma on anyone......its a really, seriously bad feeling, which gets re-lived in nightmares......no joke.....

The 'moral of the story'?.........training at the range with semi-auto pistols is all well and good, but the old-style, best quality DA revolver is the 'survival tool' when one's survival depends on one's ability to adequately use a weapon under extremes of stress and emotional trauma.

cheers

Carla

Last edited by Asphodel; 03-24-2014 at 3:19 PM.. Reason: added text
Old 03-24-2014, 4:49 PM

My wife finds it hard to work the slide on the Semi-Autos She prefers the Ruger SP101 DA revolver. But we are old.. lol
Old 04-09-2014, 1:40 PM

Congrats to Snork, on her successes. Nothing wrong with having a little color in your hardware, although I myself prefer a lovely shade of teal.

And not to hi-jack the thread, but just for the sake of argument, in home defense, the point of a handgun is to fight your way to your shot gun. Proper procedure, in my book is:
  1. grab your (loaded) handgun,
  2. grab your kids,
  3. fight your way to your (loaded) shotgun,
  4. and retreat to the bathtub and sit there and wait for them to be stupid enough to come after you !

Only a fool goes walking around a dark house with a handgun, searching for an intruder. Buy insurance, forget the 'stuff' and protect yourself and your children from behind a cast iron barrier in a room with only one point of entry.

And BTW, I sure wish someone would bring ME home a Desert Eagle!
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 04-09-2014 at 1:47 PM..