Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-24-2022, 1:36 PM
dfletcher's Avatar
dfletcher dfletcher is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 14,438
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default S&W Model 38

I have a bunch of J frames but have always liked the Model 38 type the best. First one bought in CA was at the old Contra Costa Collectibles in Walnut Creek. I visit home (Mass & NH) a few times a year and keep up with the Kittery Trading Post, buy in person and on line.

For the past month or so they've had a Model 38 with stainless cylinder on GB. Didn't pay a whole lot of attention - didn't read the advert enough to notice the box & that the gun was from the factory rather than a put together. Hefty $$$ too.

I post on S&W, saw that someone referenced a Michigan State Police issued Model 38 with stainless cylinder. Went back to GB and there it was -

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/958842782

Maybe it is MSP issue, maybe it isn't. I guess the serial number will tell. Is from the factory, in the box, and looks pretty good. The flecking should clean up.

More info from the S&W site.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...-cylinder.html
__________________
GOA Member & SAF Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-24-2022, 1:56 PM
M76's Avatar
M76 M76 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Urbanized Suburbia
Posts: 4,650
iTrader: 100 / 100%
Default

Sweet Smith! I have a similar blued M38 from the 90's, stainless cyl is a nice contrast
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2022, 7:46 PM
stevie stevie is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles Area
Posts: 3,837
iTrader: 160 / 100%
Default

I have a 38 and 49, great revolvers.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-25-2022, 8:47 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,646
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

S&W model 49 that I purchased back in 1978 for $150.






Carried it for almost 30 years...on my hip, under my shoulder, on my ankle, and in my topcoat pocket...never required one bit of service and still hits where I point it.

__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2023, 9:52 PM
dfletcher's Avatar
dfletcher dfletcher is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 14,438
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Well the gun finally showed up - accidentally took a side trip to CT.

IMG_0642.jpg

No wear, no cartridge shadows on the recoil plate nor burn marks on the cylinder face. Grips are numbered to the gun.

Arrived with the box and wax paper, nothing else. The box end label is on "not upside down" as is the norm with S&W handguns.

IMG_0644.jpg

Another fellow having the same also referenced the label not on correctly.
__________________
GOA Member & SAF Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2023, 12:24 PM
dougd1015 dougd1015 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 204
iTrader: 14 / 94%
Default

I really love those old J frames.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2023, 12:44 PM
GunDog GunDog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Valley
Posts: 1,683
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Default

OP, funny that you should mention the Kittery Trading Post and the Model 38. In 1995 I spent a month working at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and visited the nearby Kittery Trading Post almost nightly. On one of those visits, I purchased a Model 638 and then had it shipped to an FFL in my home state. I always liked the Bodyguard Model 38/638 with the semi enclosed hammer and it's ability to be fired either single or double action.

Last edited by GunDog; 01-21-2023 at 7:34 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2023, 12:55 PM
c good c good is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,274
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

It's sweet!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2023, 8:13 PM
Saigon1965's Avatar
Saigon1965 Saigon1965 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hayward
Posts: 17,277
iTrader: 128 / 100%
Default

@dlfetcher - A beautiful gun....Pinto?

@Mustand - Oh yeah that thing have some sweats on her....


40 Centennial - 1953

38 - Bodyguard - 1956

49 - Bodyguard - 1977

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2023, 6:48 PM
SVT-40's Avatar
SVT-40 SVT-40 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Az
Posts: 12,032
iTrader: 46 / 100%
Default

J frames will always hold a special place in my heart

I bought this M-37 I think in early 1978. It was the first gun I purchased to carry off duty and as a back up after I graduated from the LASD Academy. I put some Bianchi shrouded grips on it and modified the grips so I could more easily use a speedy loader. I bought it at Cheshire & Perez in Monrovia Ca.

This little revolver literally save my life. I used it to defeat a shooter in one of our city parks when I was off duty.

4-12-81 at 1650Hrs... Can't ever forget that day or time. I hit him on my fifth shot at 178 feet.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

Carried it every day working patrol as a BUG. I stopped carrying it off duty when the S&W 669's came out.

My wife now carries it when she goes hiking. She likes it better than the smaller 9mm autos we have.


__________________
Poke'm with a stick!


Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-24-2023, 8:18 PM
dfletcher's Avatar
dfletcher dfletcher is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 14,438
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDog View Post
OP, funny that you should mention the Kittery Trading Post and the Model 38. In 1995 I spent a month working at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and visited the nearby Kittery Trading Post almost nightly. On one of those visits, I purchased a Model 638 and then had it shipped to an FFL in my home state. I always liked the Bodyguard Model 38/638 with the semi enclosed hammer and it's ability to be fired either single or double action.
I've been going there since about 1968. They used to have an "annex" across the Piscataqua Bridge in Portsmouth for quick sales to NH residents. I think I bought my 1st few guns there, been a while. I still have a 1980 8" nickel Python Target in 38 Special bought there new. My 92 year old Mom used it to qualify for her MA LTC.

I use a modern made 638 for carry on y various CCWs. Pretty much ideal for the task.
__________________
GOA Member & SAF Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2023, 8:32 PM
dfletcher's Avatar
dfletcher dfletcher is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 14,438
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigon1965 View Post
@dlfetcher - A beautiful gun....Pinto?

@Mustand - Oh yeah that thing have some sweats on her....


40 Centennial - 1953

38 - Bodyguard - 1956

49 - Bodyguard - 1977

Not a Pinto - stainless cylinder, not nickel.

As the story goes, the gun was made as back up for the Michigan Staties. A plain old Model 38 was evidently often 1st choice but carried in a pocket the blued cylinder tended to wear and rust. With the Model 60 coming on the scene I suppose someone got the idea a stainless cylinder would fare better.

More info on the gun -

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...-cylinder.html
__________________
GOA Member & SAF Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-25-2023, 3:14 AM
highpower's Avatar
highpower highpower is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Savannah, TN. Escaped from Commiefornia and darned glad I did!
Posts: 4,804
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

All this talk about J frames makes me want another. While I have had many over the years, the only one I have at this moment is this '54 vintage "Baby Chief".

__________________
MLC member.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2023, 7:11 AM
vinny_land's Avatar
vinny_land vinny_land is offline
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nomad - Bako/PalmDesert
Posts: 3,325
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Grew up on small snubbies as a kid playing with the cap guns and eventually got a 60-7 which has become my daily carry. The turtleback style has really grown on me.
__________________
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2023, 7:25 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,646
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
All this talk about J frames makes me want another. While I have had many over the years, the only one I have at this moment is this '54 vintage "Baby Chief".

Beautiful revolver
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-25-2023, 10:54 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,646
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDog View Post
OP, funny that you should mention the Kittery Trading Post and the Model 38. In 1995 I spent a month working at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and visited the nearby Kittery Trading Post almost nightly. On one of those visits, I purchased a Model 638 and then had it shipped to an FFL in my home state. I always liked the Bodyguard Model 38/638 with the semi enclosed hammer and it's ability to be fired either single or double action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I've been going there since about 1968. They used to have an "annex" across the Piscataqua Bridge in Portsmouth for quick sales to NH residents. I think I bought my 1st few guns there, been a while. I still have a 1980 8" nickel Python Target in 38 Special bought there new. My 92 year old Mom used it to qualify for her MA LTC.

I use a modern made 638 for carry on y various CCWs. Pretty much ideal for the task.
I lived in So NH for 11 years, between 1980 and 1991, and was a frequent visitor to the KTP. We used to hit the KTP, then head for the Quarterdeck restaurant up the road. Or sometimes Yoken's, down at the traffic circle in Portsmouth.

Sold an S&W Model 39 to them and used part of the proceeds to buy a new Remington 870 riot gun. Had to follow the salesman across the bridge to the "annex", which I remember as being a cluttered office in a strip mall.

Good times...
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Last edited by Mustang; 01-25-2023 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-25-2023, 11:03 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,646
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigon1965 View Post
@dlfetcher - A beautiful gun....Pinto?

@Mustand - Oh yeah that thing have some sweats on her....


40 Centennial - 1953

38 - Bodyguard - 1956

49 - Bodyguard - 1977

Beautiful!
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-25-2023, 11:10 AM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,646
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
J frames will always hold a special place in my heart

I bought this M-37 I think in early 1978. It was the first gun I purchased to carry off duty and as a back up after I graduated from the LASD Academy. I put some Bianchi shrouded grips on it and modified the grips so I could more easily use a speedy loader. I bought it at Cheshire & Perez in Monrovia Ca.

This little revolver literally save my life. I used it to defeat a shooter in one of our city parks when I was off duty.

4-12-81 at 1650Hrs... Can't ever forget that day or time. I hit him on my fifth shot at 178 feet.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

Carried it every day working patrol as a BUG. I stopped carrying it off duty when the S&W 669's came out.

My wife now carries it when she goes hiking. She likes it better than the smaller 9mm autos we have.
I would keep that gun forever.
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:34 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy