Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2023, 9:55 AM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 6,716
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default Recommend a book to read as a small group?

What were some good books you read as a Christian small group?

We meet twice a month and a book would be useful to provide structure for discussion and spiritual growth.

Not looking for a scripture expository book, but a topical one.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2023, 3:27 PM
socal m1 shooter's Avatar
socal m1 shooter socal m1 shooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 1,000
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Take a look at the preview of this book.

Short daily readings, abundant insight. The gentlemen in the mens group I am a member of couldn't say enough good things about this book.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2023, 4:20 PM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is offline
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 7,320
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

not sure if this meets what you're looking for?

https://www.christianbook.com/enemy-...ion=New+Ticket

__________________
Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2023, 4:29 PM
Yugo's Avatar
Yugo Yugo is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Fernando Valley
Posts: 8,847
iTrader: 49 / 98%
Default

Bazzell M. Extreme Privacy. What It Takes to Disappear 2022
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2023, 1:42 PM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 6,716
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

Thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2023, 2:07 PM
Maltese Falcon's Avatar
Maltese Falcon Maltese Falcon is offline
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 6,245
iTrader: 81 / 100%
Default

What is the reading level now?

Always take them to next level wherever it is.

Sorry, I assumed youngsters. Not sure if you meant reasonably educated adults.


.

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 01-19-2023 at 2:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2023, 4:09 PM
RAMCLAP's Avatar
RAMCLAP RAMCLAP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 2,495
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

This book is guarantied to spark deep and fun conversations.
https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Book-U...s%2C208&sr=8-1
__________________
Psalm 103
Mojave Lever Crew
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2023, 4:30 PM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is offline
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 7,320
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

https://www.christianbook.com/battle...093/pd/6691097

I heard her sermon regarding this book long time ago and it was a good guidance on how to win the battle in your head.

__________________
Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2023, 6:17 AM
Maltese Falcon's Avatar
Maltese Falcon Maltese Falcon is offline
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 6,245
iTrader: 81 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
https://www.christianbook.com/battle...093/pd/6691097

I heard her sermon regarding this book long time ago and it was a good guidance on how to win the battle in your head.

I like the Chess picture, always was drawn to that game. Thank you I will investigate.

.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-20-2023, 12:51 PM
Garand Hunter Garand Hunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,404
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Joyce Meyer books are great, esp the one referenced above !

Psalm 1
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-20-2023, 10:24 PM
fast54vw's Avatar
fast54vw fast54vw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County
Posts: 635
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

The intentional year

https://www.glennpackiam.com/intentionalyear
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-20-2023, 11:47 PM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Democratic People’s Republic of Gavin
Posts: 3,709
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I will respectfully disagree and in a civil manner about recommending anything involving Joyce Meyer for the Christian student/reader. She preaches the “prosperity gospel,” as the likes of Joel Osteen and Kenneth Copeland to name only a few. This is a false gospel. You can research it on your own for further.

The prosperity gospel movement is a very dangerous type of false biblical teaching and leans more toward a type of “self help, “feel good” or a “you can do it” (for a financial price) type of seminar that they put on every Sunday at “churches” across the country. Ultimately, it leads people down a path that is far from the true gospel, albeit very subtly. Many people fall for their deceitful practices and Joel Osteen is probably the worst of the bunch. Unfortunately, Meyer makes that all-star team as well.

I believe this verse in scripture was meant for the “Joyce Meyers” of the world:

”My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.”. -James 3:1

May I recommend some excellent books for the Christian reader:

Heaven by Randy Alcorn
Letter to the American Church by Eric Metaxas
Understanding End Times Prophecy by Paul Benware

“Letter to the American church” is very very simple and a short read. However, it will jolt your brain like an earthquake. But all three books I can highly recommend.
__________________



“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin


”Enraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom.” -Rush R.I.P.


-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 01-20-2023 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-21-2023, 1:45 AM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is offline
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 7,320
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

^^^ i will have to disagree with you regarding joyce meyer. she is much different than joel osteen.

i used to watch joel but after a while you figure out he's not going to preach about sin , confronting sin, persecution and others. joel is like motivational speaker, positive guru.

kenneth copeland - i don't watch him so no comment.

as to joyce meyer - she teaches people on how to act/behave like a God fearing man, how to enjoy life, how to overcome one weaknesses, how to deal with anger, rejection, abuse, etc. by applying the Word of God.

the late adrian rogers was a great pastor who was not afraid to discuss the topic of abortion, drunkenness, homosexual and such. he also written several books and can be found on Love Worth Finding website.

he preached both old and new testament and still available on t.v. (Love Worth Finding). wife and i watch him every sunday and his sermons were still relevant today as if he still alive preaching the current issues as the Bible describes.
__________________
Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-21-2023, 1:45 AM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is offline
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 7,320
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

^^^ i will have to disagree with you regarding joyce meyer. she is much different than joel osteen.

i used to watch joel but after a while you figure out he's not going to preach about sin , confronting sin, persecution and others. joel is like motivational speaker, positive guru.

kenneth copeland - i don't watch him so no comment.

as to joyce meyer - she teaches people on how to act/behave like a God fearing man, how to enjoy life, how to overcome one weaknesses, how to deal with anger, rejection, abuse, etc. by applying the Word of God.

the late adrian rogers was a great pastor who was not afraid to discuss the topic of abortion, drunkenness, homosexual and such. he also written several books and can be found on Love Worth Finding website.

he preached both old and new testament and still available on t.v. (Love Worth Finding). wife and i watch him every sunday and his sermons were still relevant today as if he still alive preaching the current issues as the Bible describes.
__________________
Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-21-2023, 3:05 PM
ZapThyCat's Avatar
ZapThyCat ZapThyCat is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Missouri, I escaped
Posts: 2,538
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Default

"This Present Darkness" by Frank Peretti

Fictional but eye opening. Good paced and makes you think. Excellent book.
__________________
~Jarrod~
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-21-2023, 4:31 PM
Garand Hunter Garand Hunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,404
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Joyce Is Not into the prosperity gosple/so called. Her books really help women who have personal issues with low self esteem and think they are going nuts with one or two young kids to raise. As for your attitude on Ken Copeland, his ministry on the Righteousness of God applied to us personally really helped ME considering what the work Jesus Christ did for believers accomplished. God's LOVE for us people on this earth has been very strongly set forth by his ministry. Notice I am not talking about $$ here !

Psalm 1
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-22-2023, 7:29 PM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 6,716
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

Haven't heard of Joyce Meyer, so I appreciate all your perspective on her - Barang, Garand Hunter, TrailerparkTrash
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-22-2023, 7:34 PM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 6,716
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
May I recommend some excellent books for the Christian reader:

Heaven by Randy Alcorn
Letter to the American Church by Eric Metaxas
Understanding End Times Prophecy by Paul Benware

“Letter to the American church” is very very simple and a short read. However, it will jolt your brain like an earthquake. But all three books I can highly recommend.
We've read Randy Alcorn's Managing God's Money and it was fantastic. Will check out Heaven.

Heard Metaxas on the radio and he seems solid. Haven't read his books but will check it out.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-23-2023, 9:25 AM
socal m1 shooter's Avatar
socal m1 shooter socal m1 shooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 1,000
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
I will respectfully disagree and in a civil manner about recommending anything involving Joyce Meyer for the Christian student/reader. She preaches the “prosperity gospel,” as the likes of Joel Osteen and Kenneth Copeland to name only a few. This is a false gospel. [...]
Agree, no interest in stirring up controversy but Joyce Meyers is a false teacher and there is an abundance of evidence easily available to anyone who cares to search. Not to mention, doesn't the Bible prohibit female "pastors?"

The mens group that I am in are regular guys but also mature believers. We have tried various books over the years and the reason I recommended the Keller book on Proverbs is because
  • Short daily reading format, perfect for guys with short attention spans;
  • Makes the book of Proverbs much easier to understand;
  • The depth of insight was consistent and fueled many great conversations.
The guys in my group have struggled to fit other books into our group dynamic. We all have different interests, we're all busy, we're all mature believers, we read our Bibles, we attend worship faithfully. With other books, some read ahead, some like, some dislike, some have no interest one way or the other. But this Keller devotional on Proverbs captured our attention like no other book (Bible excluded).

Everyone in the group at the time we went through that book learned from it (Proverbs can be convicting and yet confusing at the same time), and the year we spent (it is in a daily devotional format) was a good year, so far as that group was concerned.

To give a clearer sense of what it contains, here's the devotion for today (23 January):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Keller, Proverbs devotional

January 23
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5–6)

SUBMIT TO HIS WORD.
A second mark and means of wisdom is to submit to God in all your ways—every area of life—and not on your own understanding. Our culture tells us to submit everything to our understanding, to question everything including the Bible. But everyone must choose something to not question. Modern people don’t question their right and ability to question everything. So everyone is living by faith in some ultimate authority. Proverbs calls us to make it God’s Word, not our reason and intuition.

The Bible can guide you in all your ways, even when there is not a specific verse for every life situation. As you immerse yourself in the Bible’s story of a personal God who made us and saved us for a relationship with him, it makes every part of life—how you spend your money, relate to people, allocate your time, and see yourself—look different than if you didn’t believe the story. Then wisdom grows as you live daily life shaped by the biblical narrative and divine realities. Are you seeking to understand the Bible’s main themes and “big picture” story rather than merely seeking inspiration from individual Bible verses?

Prayer: Lord, I want to not just study your Word like a book but to inwardly digest it, making it part of me. Let your Word “dwell richly” within me so I can have your wisdom to guide myself and my loved ones (Colossians 3:16). Do this for the sake of Jesus, the Word made flesh. Amen.
Metaxas' Letter to the American Church is a great book and I agree with him that we are at an inflection point, and it could be good for a men's group. I think many believers would benefit from reading it. But I haven't gone through that book with my group, and I have gone through the Keller Proverbs devotional.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-23-2023, 12:16 PM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is offline
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 7,320
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
Agree, no interest in stirring up controversy but Joyce Meyers is a false teacher and there is an abundance of evidence easily available to anyone who cares to search. Not to mention, doesn't the Bible prohibit female "pastors?"
no way she's a false teacher. wife and i watch her sermons and they are all Biblical. she's one of the christian ministries we support. if she was a false teacher, we won't be watching and supporting her ministry.

as regard to female pastor, i can't remember the name of the person who researched the context and origin of it. it's not what the usual "that was the culture back then." it has something to do with reputation of those "women."
__________________
Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Barang; 01-23-2023 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-23-2023, 5:18 PM
eta34's Avatar
eta34 eta34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,356
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

Avoid Joyce Meyer like the plague.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-23-2023, 8:47 PM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 6,716
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post

The mens group that I am in are regular guys but also mature believers. We have tried various books over the years and the reason I recommended the Keller book on Proverbs.

Metaxas' Letter to the American Church is a great book and I agree with him that we are at an inflection point, and it could be good for a men's group. I think many believers would benefit from reading it. But I haven't gone through that book with my group, and I have gone through the Keller Proverbs devotional.
I submitted Keller's proverbs book, Metaxas, Louie Giglio, and Joyce's books for a group vote.

Joyce's book got voted down...I guess she has a reputation for being a prosperity Gospel preacher.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-24-2023, 6:24 PM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 782
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Why the debate about Joyce Meyer? - she is clearly a documented false-teacher with her heresy in her own words - all over the internet.

And, women don't teach men. (1 Tim. 2:11-15). Very clear and the argument goes back to creation. NOT a cultural argument of that day.

Look, there are women who can clearly teach better than some men. That doesn't matter. God prohibits it, so men don't learn from women teachers.

My suggestion on a book - the Bible. Most "Christian Living" books are garbage. I've had to read enough of them to know. And, most Christians don't know their Bibles.

Get a good MacArthur Bible Study Guide for a book of the Bible. Use it along with his commentary on that book. Listen/watch his sermon on each passage. He can be your teacher in multiple formats.

Blessings,
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-25-2023, 1:57 AM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Democratic People’s Republic of Gavin
Posts: 3,709
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvau View Post
My suggestion on a book - the Bible. Most "Christian Living" books are garbage. I've had to read enough of them to know. And, most Christians don't know their Bibles.

Get a good MacArthur Bible Study Guide for a book of the Bible. Use it along with his commentary on that book. Listen/watch his sermon on each passage. He can be your teacher in multiple formats.

Blessings,
Lemme ask you this Bill…. What’s wrong with a Christian book from a reputable Christian author to help explain what the Bible is teaching and also references Bible passages correctly? After all, that’s EXACTLY what your suggested John MacArthur study Bible is doing. Its just all printed and bound in one book. A Bible + MacArthur’s own written words and opinion Bible commentary.

Also, buying a Christian book (by a reputable Christian author) who explains parts of the Bible is no different than listening to someone preach out loud about what one reads within the pages of the Bible itself. Of course we must all use wise discernment when either reading Bible commentary, or listening to it. The Bible itself is the FINAL arbitrator we use for this discernment skill.

Bill, what’s the difference between you yourself explaining parts of the Bible to someone vs an author who does it in published Christian based book fashion? Of course I’m NOT suggesting that a Christian book ever substitute the Bible. Neither would I say to someone “go to church listening solely to the pastor and without following along within the pages of one’s own personal Bible.”

Respectfully Bill, You contradicted your own given advice, when you recommended a publication written by MacArthur, who goes in-depth with teaching and explaining his opinion of the passages within the Bible itself. MacArthur isn’t the only one to ever wisely write and teach about the Bible and what it’s saying.

I will add, I whole heartedly agree with you about MacArthur, as he is the “real deal” within true Christian teachers.
__________________



“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin


”Enraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom.” -Rush R.I.P.


-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 01-25-2023 at 2:27 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-25-2023, 6:05 AM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 782
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Lemme ask you this Bill…. What’s wrong with a Christian book from a reputable Christian author to help explain what the Bible is teaching and also references Bible passages correctly? After all, that’s EXACTLY what your suggested John MacArthur study Bible is doing. Its just all printed and bound in one book. A Bible + MacArthur’s own written words and opinion Bible commentary.

Also, buying a Christian book (by a reputable Christian author) who explains parts of the Bible is no different than listening to someone preach out loud about what one reads within the pages of the Bible itself. Of course we must all use wise discernment when either reading Bible commentary, or listening to it. The Bible itself is the FINAL arbitrator we use for this discernment skill.

Bill, what’s the difference between you yourself explaining parts of the Bible to someone vs an author who does it in published Christian based book fashion? Of course I’m NOT suggesting that a Christian book ever substitute the Bible. Neither would I say to someone “go to church listening solely to the pastor and without following along within the pages of one’s own personal Bible.”

Respectfully Bill, You contradicted your own given advice, when you recommended a publication written by MacArthur, who goes in-depth with teaching and explaining his opinion of the passages within the Bible itself. MacArthur isn’t the only one to ever wisely write and teach about the Bible and what it’s saying.

I will add, I whole heartedly agree with you about MacArthur, as he is the “real deal” within true Christian teachers.
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you 100% except for the contradiction part. First, I wrote "Most." That's why I could/did recommend MacArthur. Second, "Most" is the same as I would say about preachers - most sermons are garbage.

Behind all this is one thing - ONLY the actual Word of God is inspired and changes lives (2 Tim 3:16-17; Heb. 4:12, etc.). SO, ANY form of teaching - preaching, teaching, books, etc. must not just accurately handle the word of God (2 Tim. 2:15). But, most important, God-ordained teaching teaches you the Bible. (1) You walk away understanding a passage in the Bible. (2) The teaching DRIVES YOU INTO the Bible. Peter didn't write to "crave" ANYTHING but the word of God (1 Peter 2:2). Psalm 119 doesn't spend 174 verses on books and teaching - just on the word of God.

Also, God gave us the format of the Bible as part of His inspiration. Think about the New Testament - it's not a systematic theology text. So, if you want to learn about marriage, you have to learn the New Testament IN CONTEXT to put together an internalization of what the Holy Spirit wants us to know about marriage. Each part we learn is part of a battlefield letter written by Paul, John, Peter, even unknown authors. And, that's where we apply - on the battlefield. Books on marriage, are nothing more than partial systematic theology texts that *usually* don't teach marriage in context.

Finally, most Bible Study leaders aren't able to accurately teach the Bible, themselves, so they use these books unable to provide the context of the Scripture used. People would be much better off using a really God-ordained teacher's sermons on the Bible and learn from them in a Bible Study. Then the Holy Spirit has put in-context Scripture into them to use later. I've had leaders actually have the group (1) study a chapter in MacArthur's commentary on a passage, (2) at the Bible Study listen/watch a MacArthur sermon, then (3) use MacArthur's Bible Study books to discuss and apply the passage.

So, again, "most" - and MacArthur is an example - not the only one. But per James 3:1, the expectations are HIGH on a teacher!

Blessings!
Bill
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-25-2023, 6:53 AM
Garand Hunter Garand Hunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,404
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Hi Bill, how are you these days ? As for those who say " avoid Joyce Meyer " you have no clue as to her ministry, You are correct Barang ! Perhaps her enemies have, have not read her books or actually listened to her speak. For those who have attitude about women preachers, help yourselves, remembering when Almighty God calls a women into ministry, be careful of your vocal language concerning them is my not so humble advice to you.

Psalm 1
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-25-2023, 7:17 AM
DaveInOroValley's Avatar
DaveInOroValley DaveInOroValley is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In a free state as of 2020
Posts: 8,304
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

The Harbinger 1 and 2

https://www.amazon.com/The-Harbinger...s%2C150&sr=8-1
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-25-2023, 8:05 AM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 782
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Hi Bill, how are you these days ? As for those who say " avoid Joyce Meyer " you have no clue as to her ministry, You are correct Barang ! Perhaps her enemies have, have not read her books or actually listened to her speak. For those who have attitude about women preachers, help yourselves, remembering when Almighty God calls a women into ministry, be careful of your vocal language concerning them is my not so humble advice to you.

Psalm 1
GH-

1 Ti2:11 A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. 12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. 14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.

Then, Paul goes on to give the qualifications of MEN for elders.

As I said above, it DOESN'T matter how great a teacher she is. IRRELEVANT per 1 Tim 2:11-15; 1 Tim. 3.

ALSO - her own words show she is a false-teacher.

Stop defending Satan.
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-25-2023, 12:52 PM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is offline
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 7,320
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

so i guess i'm a fake christian because wife and i support joyce meyer's ministry and also watch her preach on tv. i don't know what she is preaching falsely because we don't hear them in her sermons.

perhaps some disagreement but that's not unusual because there are some christians who disagree with the rapture and earth's age. does that mean those are fake christian too? how about those pastors visually displaying their tattoos, those pastors whose attirement are disrespectful to God (they won't wear the same when going to job interview)?
__________________
Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-25-2023, 1:16 PM
socal m1 shooter's Avatar
socal m1 shooter socal m1 shooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 1,000
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

No one has touched on this, but I've been in a few men's groups over the years and a common part of my experience has been, most men are not eager to dig in to a demanding read. It has been almost universal in my experience, and I have been guilty of it myself.

Even easy-reading books can fall by the wayside very quickly. You're in a group of guys, one guy picks a book, everybody gets a copy, and within two or three weeks it is clear not everyone digs that particular book, and pretty soon it is pretty hard to have a conversation about chapter five or whatever (because only a minority of participants have actually read it).

Part of the reason may be, some of those guys already have an established reading routine (their Bible) and it is hard to find time for/make a habit of additional readings. Part of it may be, they start the book-- I do this all the time-- and for whatever reason, it doesn't resonate with them at that time, so they lose interest/put it aside. Part of it may be-- I've seen this happen-- you have a guy or two in the group who thinks that it's not enough to share parts of your everyday life with some other guys, and they want to prod/goad the others into a "higher" level of spirituality, possibly because they overlook the obvious fact that it can take time to get to know others in a group and build trust. Not enough growth, not fast enough for their liking, so they think they can spur that growth with theological books. I'm sure there are many other possibilities.

Obviously what works great for one group might not work for some other. YMMV. But the reason that I recommended the Keller book, once again, is because it worked great for my group, whereas other books, no so much.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-25-2023, 2:11 PM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Democratic People’s Republic of Gavin
Posts: 3,709
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvau View Post
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you 100% except for the contradiction part. First, I wrote "Most." That's why I could/did recommend MacArthur. Second, "Most" is the same as I would say about preachers - most sermons are garbage.

Behind all this is one thing - ONLY the actual Word of God is inspired and changes lives (2 Tim 3:16-17; Heb. 4:12, etc.). SO, ANY form of teaching - preaching, teaching, books, etc. must not just accurately handle the word of God (2 Tim. 2:15). But, most important, God-ordained teaching teaches you the Bible. (1) You walk away understanding a passage in the Bible. (2) The teaching DRIVES YOU INTO the Bible. Peter didn't write to "crave" ANYTHING but the word of God (1 Peter 2:2). Psalm 119 doesn't spend 174 verses on books and teaching - just on the word of God.

Also, God gave us the format of the Bible as part of His inspiration. Think about the New Testament - it's not a systematic theology text. So, if you want to learn about marriage, you have to learn the New Testament IN CONTEXT to put together an internalization of what the Holy Spirit wants us to know about marriage. Each part we learn is part of a battlefield letter written by Paul, John, Peter, even unknown authors. And, that's where we apply - on the battlefield. Books on marriage, are nothing more than partial systematic theology texts that *usually* don't teach marriage in context.

Finally, most Bible Study leaders aren't able to accurately teach the Bible, themselves, so they use these books unable to provide the context of the Scripture used. People would be much better off using a really God-ordained teacher's sermons on the Bible and learn from them in a Bible Study. Then the Holy Spirit has put in-context Scripture into them to use later. I've had leaders actually have the group (1) study a chapter in MacArthur's commentary on a passage, (2) at the Bible Study listen/watch a MacArthur sermon, then (3) use MacArthur's Bible Study books to discuss and apply the passage.

So, again, "most" - and MacArthur is an example - not the only one. But per James 3:1, the expectations are HIGH on a teacher!

Blessings!
Bill
Agreed Bill, I understand where you’re coming from. Thank you for your explanation.
__________________



“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin


”Enraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom.” -Rush R.I.P.


-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-25-2023, 2:32 PM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Democratic People’s Republic of Gavin
Posts: 3,709
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
so i guess i'm a fake christian because wife and i support joyce meyer's ministry and also watch her preach on tv. i don't know what she is preaching falsely because we don't hear them in her sermons.

perhaps some disagreement but that's not unusual because there are some christians who disagree with the rapture and earth's age. does that mean those are fake christian too? how about those pastors visually displaying their tattoos, those pastors whose attirement are disrespectful to God (they won't wear the same when going to job interview)?
No, I don’t feel that there are necessarily “fake” Christian’s becasue they may listen to JM. I don’t personally know you but based on what you’ve stated, I have no reason to doubt your Christianity. Regardless, it doesn’t matter what I think, it’s what God knows about each individual’s heart is what matters most.

What I feel however is that JM does mislead her so called “flock” astray and preaches an unbiblical gospel. Most of the time, her followers and supporters don’t even realize that they are being respectfully and quite frankly, duped.

These two verses below, I think tell us Christian’s to be aware of what JM and other false teachers, actually “preach.” Just because JM (as well as countless other counterfeiters) may call out and use the Name of the Lord on sundays, doesn’t mean she’s calling out the True Lord and Savior of the Bible. They unfortunately preach a “false gospel” to unsuspecting followers.

Jeremiah 23:30-32
Therefore,” declares the Lord, “I am against the prophets who steal from one another words supposedly from me. 31 Yes,” declares the Lord, “I am against the prophets who wag their own tongues and yet declare, ‘The Lord declares.’ 32 Indeed, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” declares the Lord. “They tell them and lead my people astray with their reckless lies, yet I did not send or appoint them. They do not benefit these people in the least,” declares the Lord.

Matthew 7:21
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

We all need to be as vigilant and cautious like the Bereans in Acts 17:10-15, who always “checked the scriptures” to verify what Paul was preaching to them.
__________________



“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin


”Enraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom.” -Rush R.I.P.


-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-25-2023, 2:38 PM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 782
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
so i guess i'm a fake christian because wife and i support joyce meyer's ministry and also watch her preach on tv. i don't know what she is preaching falsely because we don't hear them in her sermons.

perhaps some disagreement but that's not unusual because there are some christians who disagree with the rapture and earth's age. does that mean those are fake christian too? how about those pastors visually displaying their tattoos, those pastors whose attirement are disrespectful to God (they won't wear the same when going to job interview)?
Just stick to the clear teaching of Scripture.

1 Ti2:11 A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. 12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. 14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-25-2023, 3:26 PM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is offline
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 7,320
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
No, I don’t feel that there are necessarily “fake” Christian’s becasue they may listen to JM. I don’t personally know you but based on what you’ve stated, I have no reason to doubt your Christianity. Regardless, it doesn’t matter what I think, it’s what God knows about each individual’s heart is what matters most.

What I feel however is that JM does mislead her so called “flock” astray and preaches an unbiblical gospel. Most of the time, her followers and supporters don’t even realize that they are being respectfully and quite frankly, duped.

These two verses below, I think tell us Christian’s to be aware of what JM and other false teachers, actually “preach.” Just because JM (as well as countless other counterfeiters) may call out and use the Name of the Lord on sundays, doesn’t mean she’s calling out the True Lord and Savior of the Bible. They unfortunately preach a “false gospel” to unsuspecting followers.

Jeremiah 23:30-32
Therefore,” declares the Lord, “I am against the prophets who steal from one another words supposedly from me. 31 Yes,” declares the Lord, “I am against the prophets who wag their own tongues and yet declare, ‘The Lord declares.’ 32 Indeed, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” declares the Lord. “They tell them and lead my people astray with their reckless lies, yet I did not send or appoint them. They do not benefit these people in the least,” declares the Lord.

Matthew 7:21
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

We all need to be as vigilant and cautious like the Bereans in Acts 17:10-15, who always “checked the scriptures” to verify what Paul was preaching to them.
before my wife and i support any christian ministry, we make sure their teachings are Biblical. again, there's no "100%" agreement and we are aware of that. the core belief is Jesus is the only way to the Father, the only Savior, He died for our sin, rose on the third day and the rest. that's the reason why i 'm confused to what she's preaching that's falsehood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvau View Post
Just stick to the clear teaching of Scripture.

1 Ti2:11 A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. 12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. 14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.
i will agree to that if dave meyer (joyce husband) was called to preach but he wasn't. joyce meyer is the one gifted with preaching so she is not usurping dave's authority.

joyce does the speaking and dave works in the background (their ministry).
__________________
Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-25-2023, 3:35 PM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 782
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post


i will agree to that if dave meyer (joyce husband) was called to preach but he wasn't. joyce meyer is the one gifted with preaching so she is not usurping dave's authority.

joyce does the speaking and dave works in the background (their ministry).
The context of 1 Tim. 2:11-15 is the role of women in public worship service. Dave Meyer has nothing to do with this. Joyce Meyer is in clear violation of 1 Tim. 2:11-15 AND so are *any* men who listen to her teaching.

And, you can easily be a Berean and research what she has taught that makes her a false teacher. It took me no time at all to see many things.
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-25-2023, 7:32 PM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is offline
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 7,320
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvau View Post
The context of 1 Tim. 2:11-15 is the role of women in public worship service. Dave Meyer has nothing to do with this. Joyce Meyer is in clear violation of 1 Tim. 2:11-15 AND so are *any* men who listen to her teaching.
1 Timothy 2:11-12 nkjv
11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.

notice joyce is not asserting authority because dave is not on the pulpit. he doesn't have that gift but joyce does so no authority is usurped here.

just like when wife and i had a weekly Bible study with my sister's whole family. i take the lead and the wife was in the background just like dave. when i'm not able to attend (due to illness or example), wife took my place and lead the Bible study. now, is that a violation of the verse above?

Quote:
And, you can easily be a Berean and research what she has taught that makes her a false teacher. It took me no time at all to see many things.
i don't have to research her because we watch her teaching on tv and the contents of her sermons are Biblical. i'm sure some will find something that they will disagree with her but that's just a small portion. nothing is 100% so all of us can be wrong on something we thought is right.

the key here is the core belief. this has to be 100%, anything less is making God a liar.
__________________
Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-25-2023, 8:27 PM
eta34's Avatar
eta34 eta34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,356
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

She has said Jesus descended to hell and was tortured. She has said that Jesus essentially stopped being God on the cross. She has said that those who don’t believe Jesus went to hell have any hope of going to heaven. Please explain how any of this is Biblical? These aren’t tertiary issues where good Christians can disagree. These are fundamental mischaracterizations of God.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-25-2023, 11:49 PM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is offline
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 7,320
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post
She has said Jesus descended to hell and was tortured. She has said that Jesus essentially stopped being God on the cross. She has said that those who don’t believe Jesus went to hell have any hope of going to heaven. Please explain how any of this is Biblical? These aren’t tertiary issues where good Christians can disagree. These are fundamental mischaracterizations of God.
not once have i heard her preach that but if she did then i missed them. perhaps you can provide a link of the sermon/s and give an approximate time so that i can locate that section/s faster.
__________________
Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-26-2023, 1:23 AM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Democratic People’s Republic of Gavin
Posts: 3,709
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
not once have i heard her preach that but if she did then i missed them. perhaps you can provide a link of the sermon/s and give an approximate time so that i can locate that section/s faster.
Here you go, first paragraph under “Meyer’s Theology.”…

https://www.equip.org/articles/joyce...first-century/


Joyce Meyer has on her board of directors, “Paul Osteen,” the brother of false doctrine and prosperity preacher, Joel Osteen. Now why is that not shocking???? She also regularly speaks at Joel Osteen’s mega church (“Lakewood church”) in Texas. It’s like one big happy family….of heretics.

Link….

https://joycemeyer.org/about/board-o...dr-paul-osteen
__________________



“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin


”Enraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom.” -Rush R.I.P.


-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 01-26-2023 at 1:33 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-26-2023, 8:20 AM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 782
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
1 Timothy 2:11-12 nkjv
11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.

notice joyce is not asserting authority because dave is not on the pulpit. he doesn't have that gift but joyce does so no authority is usurped here.

just like when wife and i had a weekly Bible study with my sister's whole family. i take the lead and the wife was in the background just like dave. when i'm not able to attend (due to illness or example), wife took my place and lead the Bible study. now, is that a violation of the verse above?



i don't have to research her because we watch her teaching on tv and the contents of her sermons are Biblical. i'm sure some will find something that they will disagree with her but that's just a small portion. nothing is 100% so all of us can be wrong on something we thought is right.

the key here is the core belief. this has to be 100%, anything less is making God a liar.
First, you keep bringing in her husband. You must be trying to interpret this passage as husband/wife rather than men/women in church assemblies (worship services, Sunday School, Bible studies, etc.). The passage is not about marriage and roles of husbands/wives. It's about roles in group settings of the church - i.e., leadership, who teaches, etc. The passage, 2:11-15 and the wider context, 1 Timothy, only make sense with a men/women roles translation.

God's ways are not our ways. The Holy Spirit has chosen to bless us with the reason why women are to NEVER teach men - it goes back to the fall and a decision God made then.

As others have pointed out above, the Bereans here can easily and clearly see that she is a false teacher too.

No Christian should be sitting under her teaching - man or woman.
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther

Last edited by billvau; 01-26-2023 at 8:24 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:19 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy