Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-22-2023, 5:19 PM

Default Glock 20 Jamming FTF

I have had 2 Glock 20 pistols now (Gen 3 Glock 20 SF), both with the same issue. Both of them will have an FTF jam every few dozen rounds. This is with multiple different brands of ammo, FMH and JHP. I've also tried a few different mags (all OEM Glock). The jams typically look like what you see in the photo I've attached. It looks almost as if the round isn't being fed straight into the chamber. The gun is stock other than the sights and a Wolff steel guide rod. I've tried different weight recoil springs (from 18 lbs to 22 lbs) but it doesn't affect the problem.

Any suggestions? I'm not interested in sending it back to Glock since this is the second Glock 20 I've had with this issue, and from what I hear they don't really bother helping customers with jamming guns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G20.jpg (96.4 KB, 106 views)
Old 01-22-2023, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

If you've had two guns do the same thing, I would guess the problem is you.

Let someone else shoot it to help prove or disprove that.

Last edited by billped; 01-22-2023 at 5:52 PM..
Old 01-22-2023, 5:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Pretty strange and I was initially going to guess limp wrist, but no idea what a shooter could do to cause rounds to chamber crooked?

https://www.glockforum.net/threads/2...rsisting.1531/

Found this thread from 10 years ago, same FTF w G20. Some suggested limp wrist other suggested check mag follower. OP claims left his stuff slightly oiled and it helpedÖ

Last edited by SigSauerP226; 01-22-2023 at 6:04 PM..
Old 01-22-2023, 6:13 PM

This doesnít look like the sort of jam you get by limp wristing a pistol, and if it is limp wrist then that really seems like more of an excuse. My most reliable pistols wonít malfunction, even when I try to limp wrist them on purpose. A reliable pistol will work one handed, two handed, with a strong grip or limp grip, every time, with JHP and FMJ ammo. I donít have any of these problems with my G17s, and if Iím going to bother owning a G20 I expect it to have the same level of reliability.
Old 01-22-2023, 6:40 PM

Are you using the same magazine?
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177
Old 01-22-2023, 6:40 PM

I have one of these pos g20sf as well.

Bought it brand spanking new just a few months back.

Does exactly what the OPs gun does. Itís the NASCAR Glock -rounds only turn left at the feed ramp.

Only Glock I ever bought that didnít run out of the box.

And Iíve owned five other ones in the past that ran like clockwork. Well with a couple exceptions but I wonít get into that now.

This 20 sf Started off with light strikes and no primer hits along with not being able to get through even one magazine.

And also locking open halfway through the mag repeatedly.

The factory recoil Spring was absolutely pathetic and would barely close the slide even after cleaning and lubing and working the thing numerous times. And Iím talking about an empty gun not even chambering any rounds.

Tried a bunch of different brands of ammo only using factory mags and polished the feed ramp.

Gun wouldnít run it all until I got wolf recoil spring pack
A 19 pound spring got it running most of the time

I just put a 22 pound in Iím trying that.

Itís not limp wristing when I intentionally limp wrist it -it actually fires lol.

Took the slide off of it the other day and put a loaded mag in and the magazine fitment in the mag well is hot dog in a hallway loose

Magazine release pressure seens to cock the mag diagonally in the well pointing the round to the left in the gun

I was thinking about putting some tape in the side the mag well to try cock to magazine back straight.

If you Google Glock 20 problems youíll see a bunch of people have problems with these 20ís.

Admittedly will also find a bunch of people who have never had a failure of any kind.

Just My luck to get a POS Glock that wonít run out of the box.

When I was looking on Google I found another guy who did the same thing as what Iím thinking about putting tape inside the mag well to try and straighten the magazine which is ghetto as hell but Iím just gonna do that to test the theory next time I bring it out.

Right now I literally trade this piece of crap for any other 10 mm on the market except for possibly a High Point.
Old 01-22-2023, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD LAUNCHER View Post
I have one of these pos g20sf as well.

Bought it brand spanking new just a few months back.

Does exactly what the OPs gun does. Itís the NASCAR Glock -rounds only turn left at the feed ramp.

Only Glock I ever bought that didnít run out of the box.

And Iíve owned five other ones in the past that ran like clockwork. Well with a couple exceptions but I wonít get into that now.

This 20 sf Started off with light strikes and no primer hits along with not being able to get through even one magazine.

And also locking open halfway through the mag repeatedly.

The factory recoil Spring was absolutely pathetic and would barely close the slide even after cleaning and lubing and working the thing numerous times. And Iím talking about an empty gun not even chambering any rounds.

Tried a bunch of different brands of ammo only using factory mags and polished the feed ramp.

Gun wouldnít run it all until I got wolf recoil spring pack
A 19 pound spring got it running most of the time

I just put a 22 pound in Iím trying that.

Itís not limp wristing when I intentionally limp wrist it -it actually fires lol.

Took the slide off of it the other day and put a loaded mag in and the magazine fitment in the mag well is hot dog in a hallway loose

Magazine release pressure seens to cock the mag diagonally in the well pointing the round to the left in the gun

I was thinking about putting some tape in the side the mag well to try cock to magazine back straight.

If you Google Glock 20 problems youíll see a bunch of people have problems with these 20ís.

Admittedly will also find a bunch of people who have never had a failure of any kind.

Just My luck to get a POS Glock that wonít run out of the box.

When I was looking on Google I found another guy who did the same thing as what Iím thinking about putting tape inside the mag well to try and straighten the magazine which is ghetto as hell but Iím just gonna do that to test the theory next time I bring it out.

Right now I literally trade this piece of crap for any other 10 mm on the market except for possibly a High Point.
Very interesting, sounds like there was a manufacturing defect. Maybe both of you can share the first letters or digits of your serials to see if they came from the same run?
If you are not familiar with the below sites, I encourage you to check them out and use them for cash back and great deals on ammo from Cabela's and such. Check the deals forum here on calguns and you will see a lot of us using these now. If you are kind enough to sign up through my below referral links, we both get instant bonus rewards. Thanks!

http://activejunky.com/invite/186564
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=32948177
Old 01-22-2023, 6:55 PM

To clarify
My light primer hits and slide locking back Halfway through the magazine problem have gone away.

Gun runs immensely better since it now has a recoil spring that will actually close the slide.

But guns still only runs 90-95%

Malfunction is the round nosediving left at the feed ramp

FTF

Slight tug of the slide and release and the round goes in.

Hereís the other thread where the OP is thinking the same thing Iím thinking about misalignment of the magazine

https://www.glockforum.net/threads/g...lems-fix.6139/
Old 01-22-2023, 7:00 PM

Perfection!

Iíve seen it on two no idea whatís up with it, frustrating as hell though
Old 01-22-2023, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSideburns View Post
Very interesting, sounds like there was a manufacturing defect. Maybe both of you can share the first letters or digits of your serials to see if they came from the same run?
Yes, I concur. Far from perfection.

Mines BUFS6##

But note that the Glock forum post that I linked with the guy with what sounds like the same problem is back from 2013.
Old 01-22-2023, 7:26 PM

I called Glock because I have the same problem I was told the problem was me and not the mags or followers, even though others here on CG and a Glock forum claim it's the followers for yrs.
Old 01-22-2023, 7:34 PM

Quote:
To clarify
My light primer hits and slide locking back Halfway through the magazine problem have gone away.

Gun runs immensely better since it now has a recoil spring that will actually close the slide.

But guns still only runs 90-95%

Malfunction is the round nosediving left at the feed ramp

FTF

Slight tug of the slide and release and the round goes in.

Hereís the other thread where the OP is thinking the same thing Iím thinking about misalignment of the magazine

https://www.glockforum.net/threads/g...lems-fix.6139/

Ugh. What a disaster. From what I'm reading on the Glock forum and what you've posted here, there's definitely several bad Glock 20 pistols, and it doesn't look like there's a straight forward fix. So much for the legendary Glock reliability. Oh well at least it was a cheap gun.
Old 01-22-2023, 7:51 PM

I have a Glock 17 Gen 3 that had one of several types of failures every 10 rounds or so. Out of warranty, I sent it to Glock. The connector, ejector, firing pin and trigger assembly were replaced, at no charge. The gun was returned in less that one week and has run flawlessly since. I wouldn't say that Glock doesn't care.
Old 01-22-2023, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

I own a Glock 20 and 29. I had similar issues with abunch probably 10 or more Glock mags .

Take the mags apart look inside the mag there is a plastic tang left over from manufacturing .
This tang causes the follower and spring to hang up use a small file and file the tang down. It's very frustrating issue to figure out. Because the issue could happen a number of times in one Mag or not at all. Dosnt mater ammo or if you limp wrist as others have said a 21 lb spring for the 20 and 22lb spring for the 29 seems like the perfect set up to run Wolf 40S&W all the way to the hottest you can load.
Hope this helps My Glock 20 and 29 are my favorites.

Last edited by dozer wright; 01-22-2023 at 8:01 PM..
Old 01-22-2023, 8:05 PM

I have a gen 3 g20 and has pretty much been flawless using a 22poind spring. Only issue I have had was with one of the 10 round mags it would lock the slide back with one round left sometimes. But when I moved to az I tossed the 10 round mags into the Colorado river in Blythe and zero issues with the 15 rounders.
Old 01-22-2023, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinknocker View Post
I called Glock because I have the same problem I was told the problem was me and not the mags or followers, even though others here on CG and a Glock forum claim it's the followers for yrs.
Unfortunately I've heard and read things like this several times about Glock's customer service. Their attitude seems to be, we make cheap guns and most of them work well enough for us to keep selling, so if a few people out there have problems it's not our problem.
Old 01-22-2023, 8:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Always upgrade to the 22 lb. Spring and always a 15 round magazine.
Those 10 rounders donít stack the ammo very well. Some factory ammo is weak, so use the good stuff like Underwood. Better yet reload. More fun.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 01-22-2023, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer wright View Post
I own a Glock 20 and 29. I had similar issues with abunch probably 10 or more Glock mags .

Take the mags apart look inside the mag there is a plastic tang left over from manufacturing .
This tang causes the follower and spring to hang up use a small file and file the tang down. It's very frustrating issue to figure out. Because the issue could happen a number of times in one Mag or not at all. Dosnt mater ammo or if you limp wrist as others have said a 21 lb spring for the 20 and 22lb spring for the 29 seems like the perfect set up to run Wolf 40S&W all the way to the hottest you can load.
Hope this helps My Glock 20 and 29 are my favorites.
Is the plastic tang in the magazine body or on the follower?
Old 01-23-2023, 7:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeflyer View Post
I have a Glock 17 Gen 3 that had one of several types of failures every 10 rounds or so. Out of warranty, I sent it to Glock. The connector, ejector, firing pin and trigger assembly were replaced, at no charge. The gun was returned in less that one week and has run flawlessly since. I wouldn't say that Glock doesn't care.
That's weird. Those parts only come into play when it's fired. They probably replaced something else and didn't tell you.
Old 01-23-2023, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Always upgrade to the 22 lb. Spring and always a 15 round magazine.
Those 10 rounders donít stack the ammo very well. Some factory ammo is weak, so use the good stuff like Underwood. Better yet reload. More fun.
Yes that absolutely pathetic spring that shipped with the gun as mentioned wouldnít even close the slide So I put in a 19 pounder initially and boy did it run better but still not there completely.

Last time I took it out I put the 22 pounder in there and might run a hair better but still not there.

As far as magís Iíve been leaving the 10 rounders at home and using brand new factory freedom week factory Glock mags but I brought one of the 10 round ones to see if it was any better or worse and it didnít seem to matter.

I do know that factory Glock 10 rounders tend to be trash, so if I ever Needed to order more 10 rounders I know to order riveted 15 rounders.

I am going to pull at least a couple of the mags apart and make sure thereís no burrs or weird stuff and then as a test jam some tape inside the mag well to straighten up the magazine and take the pistol to the range again. Iíll try to pick up some other brands of ammo too.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

I wouldn’t consider a $500 gun cheap, unless the ones saying cheap are moneybags.
If it’s that bad and under warranty I can’t believe Glock will not RMA for evaluation and repairs
Old 01-23-2023, 11:20 AM
Calguns Addict

I wouldnít consider a $500 gun cheap, unless the ones saying cheap are moneybags.
If itís that bad and under warranty I canít believe Glock will not RMA for evaluation and repairs
Old 01-23-2023, 12:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can send it back to Glock, but the other potential issue can be the extractor not playing ball. If the problem is the same between different mags, you may want to disassemble the slide and check that the extractor is operating smoothly and properly. Perhaps something got in the extractor area and messing with it's operation - which can also impact the slide's ability to lock. No idea why you would see it on 2 different firearms.

Have you cleaned and/or lubed the slides??
Old 01-23-2023, 1:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I’d just call Glock again and insist they have you send them in.
Old 01-23-2023, 1:46 PM

I have a Gen 3 Glock 17 that was absolutely terrible out of the box. Failure to extract, failure to feed, stove pipes, brass to the face. Literally my worst handgun experience and this is my third 17, so this experience shocked me. Being that the 17 and 20 are a bit different I don't know that this will help, but I ended up replacing the extractor with the Apex Failure Resistant Extractor & Ultimate Safety Plunger, which seemed to stop most of the failure to extract / feed. Then I changed out the ejector with the # 47021. Again, this will be different for a Glock 20 / 10mm, but it's what I went through with their 17. The firearm is completely reliable at this point and has several thousand rounds through it.

BTW - Glock was ZERO help in fixing this firearm.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:32 PM

I have a G35 that gave me issues like that. I was running an aftermarket SS guide rod and reduced power loads to make 40 minor. Always thought it was something with my loads. One day it got really bad and I tried swapping in a factory guide rod and it has run flawlessly since. I used to have a G29 that I ran a non-captured 22 pound recoil spring in, it never gave me a problem. Run the same in my G20 now, it to has never had an issue.
Old 01-24-2023, 5:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Is the plastic tang in the magazine body or on the follower?
Inside the magazine body . About half way up.
I used a small file to trim the tang down.
It was probably the hardest thing I have ever trouble Shot with a Firearm. Because it dosnt happen every round or even every magazine full of rounds.

Last edited by dozer wright; 01-24-2023 at 5:30 PM..
Old 01-24-2023, 7:57 PM

Default Tuesday, January 24, 2023..... My G20SF FINALLY RUNS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer wright View Post
Inside the magazine body . About half way up.
I used a small file to trim the tang down.
It was probably the hardest thing I have ever trouble Shot with a Firearm. Because it dosnt happen every round or even every magazine full of rounds.
Thanks...on a day I'm not lazy I'll take them all apart and check. Just to be sure.
Today was not going to be that day.

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I've been thinking the mag flopping around and turning left in my frame was my main issue, so last night after cleaning/lubing the pistol, polishing the feed ramp one final time with compound and my dremel, and swabbing the inside of the grip frame with alcohol, I stuck 2 small 3/4"-ish square velcro stick ons I had(furry side)inside the frame , drivers side(left), towards front of grip one above the other.

These would force the magazine to rotate clockwise in the frame if you are looking straight down on the gun.

When I did this It aligned the mag perfectly square in the frame...no more turning left. Round would feed straight into chamber for a change.

I KNEW the damn thing would run today-I could feel it.

Packed up 200 rounds CCI Blazer brass that the gun sorta ran on before, and 100 rounds of Aguila that the gun friggin hates.

We hit Smokin' Barrel and I bought 1 more 50 round box of 10mm(I don't want to talk about the price ),which was PMC Bronze.

Started off with the PMC and gun got through a whole box-no issues!
It's never done that.

Burned through the CCI-all of it-no malfs!

Then the acid test. If it was going to gag today it would do it on the Aguila.

Got through one mag flawlessly, then on second mag FTF, but not turning left-round was pointed straight, just didn't want to go in.

Even my son, who hates Glocks, said that it's the ammo, not the gun. This gun doesn't like Aguila.

Anyway, before I would have put the Aguila away, but it chugged through the rest of it with a few "slide pushes" required, but I'm going to say the pistol runs now.

I won't order any more Aguila for it though, although our other
10mm($$ FK BRNO PSD $$) will eat that junk all day.

So next question is do I leave it with my Ghetto mod velcro pieces inside or???

Kinda sad that I had to do that- obviously sumpin ain't right...

Mags don't drop so free anymore too.

Guess I'll shoot out an email to Glock and see what they say.

Last edited by LEAD LAUNCHER; 01-24-2023 at 8:01 PM..
Old 01-25-2023, 1:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt_Action View Post
I have had 2 Glock 20 pistols now (Gen 3 Glock 20 SF), both with the same issue. Both of them will have an FTF jam every few dozen rounds. This is with multiple different brands of ammo, FMH and JHP. I've also tried a few different mags (all OEM Glock). The jams typically look like what you see in the photo I've attached. It looks almost as if the round isn't being fed straight into the chamber. The gun is stock other than the sights and a Wolff steel guide rod. I've tried different weight recoil springs (from 18 lbs to 22 lbs) but it doesn't affect the problem.

Any suggestions? I'm not interested in sending it back to Glock since this is the second Glock 20 I've had with this issue, and from what I hear they don't really bother helping customers with jamming guns.
Send it back. accompany the gun with a photo of the round sitting cock-eyed touching the feed ramp, as well as a photo of an empty magazime, noting the “twist” of the damn thing inside the mag well. You know what they say…. “A picture is worth a thousand words.”

But a question and I didn’t notice if you covered this or not…. How does the gun perform with the OEM captured recoil spring and OEM barrel? I’d try shooting it with the OEM parts first. If you send a Glock back to the factory and you have ANY aftermarket parts in the gun (except aftermarket sights), they will replace those “imposter-parts” with factory OEM and they generally will NOT return those imposters. That’s how Glock rolls.

ďPay attention. Iím educating you and Iím using small words.Ē -Mark Levin

ĒEnraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom.Ē -Rush R.I.P.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 01-25-2023 at 2:32 AM..