Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2023, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

Default Got pop-up for threaded barrel on E-bay

Probably becuase I searched for gun grips on ebay, an ad popped up on my PC screen for a threaded Bar-Sto barrel from a seller in San Diego. It appears that it may be sold with appears to be section that can be threaded onto it so as to eliminate the threads. I have been thinking of buying a Bar-Sto but have never looked into it. Is this legal?

Old 01-24-2023, 3:07 PM
Waiting for Abs
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Maybe if the additional piece is pinned/welded to the barrel. Thereby negating a threaded barrel.
Old 01-24-2023, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder2003 View Post
Maybe if the additional piece is pinned/welded to the barrel. Thereby negating a threaded barrel.
That is what I thought, That or if the threaded part is cut off before the sale takes place, but I see nothing about pinning, welding, or cutting before the sale. Somebody probably screwed up in placing the ad.
Old 01-24-2023, 3:34 PM
retired Goon

Under CA laws...

Threaded barrel by itself (unattached) = CA legal

Threaded barrel installed on a rifle = CA legal

Threaded barrel installed on a shotgun = CA legal

Threaded barrel installed on a manually operated (bolt-action, lever-action, pump-action) single-shot firearm that is not a pistol, rifle, or shotgun = CA legal

Threaded barrel installed on a manually operated (bolt-action, lever-action, pump-action) repeating firearm that is not a pistol, rifle, or shotgun = CA legal

Threaded barrel installed on a semi-auto firearm that is not a pistol, rifle, or shotgun and has a fixed magazine = CA legal

Threaded barrel installed on a semi-auto firearm that is not a pistol, rifle, or shotgun and does not have a fixed magazine = CA illegal assault weapon [PC 30515(a)(9)(G)]

Threaded barrel installed on a revolver = CA legal

Threaded barrel installed on a manually operated (bolt-action, break-open, lever-action, pump-action) single-shot pistol = CA legal

Threaded barrel installed on a manually operated (bolt-action, lever-action, pump-action) repeating pistol = CA legal

Threaded barrel installed on a semi-auto pistol with a fixed magazine = CA legal

Threaded barrel installed on a semi-auto pistol that does not have a fixed magazine = CA illegal assault weapon [PC 30515(a)(4)(A)]

Barrels with lugs that can be utilized to attach a muzzle device are considered threaded barrels. [11 CCR 5471(rr)]

If a muzzle device is permanently attached to a threaded barrel, then it is no longer considered a threaded barrel and the muzzle device is considered a part of the barrel and included in its length when measuring. [11 CCR 5471(d)]
^Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

Therefore, a threaded barrel with an end cap/thread protector that is permanently attached to the barrel is no longer considered a threaded barrel.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-24-2023, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Quiet. Per the top of your post, a threaded barrel is legal as long as it is not installed. Going down to the end, it is no longer a threaded barrel if an end cap/thread protector is pemanently attached. The barrel is offered for sale with a thread protector. So I guess it is legal.

Interesting. I have always read on CG posts, or at least I thought that was what I read, "no threaded barrels".