Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 06-22-2019, 8:04 AM

Default Need 1 shooter ! Match for teams Full- Get on wait list: Team UKD Field style Match

One of the team has a shooter that hurt their back.. We are looking for one shooter who would like to shoot this..

Teams will have a wait-list still

Wow almost 4 months to go Match is full!!!

1 day Team Field Style Match in Central California, just off Highway, in Avenal CA. Sunday, November 24, 2019 @ 7:00 AM

2 person Team match similar to what Carl Taylor is doing up in Washington with the Snipers H Cup and the Rifleman's Team Challange. But a MUCH lower key 1 day match. The idea is to make this good practice for a larger match or the ideal first field style UKD match for the shooter. Mostly want this to be fun..

We are thinking of creating some way to get people looking for a partner to hook up; Maybe a few Calgun guys?? Sign up if you need a partner let us know.

Only 16 teams. The date we have available is Sunday, November 24, 2019 @ 7:00 AM ~ If you are interested please sign up below -- feedback is also welcome

Here is our link to the Practiscore sign up
https://practiscore.com/search/match...%5B0%5D=Avenal

You do have to sign up for a free practiscore account

Here is the basic plan subject to change:
Saturday Optional if you have time to come early:​
-BBQ hamburgers and hot dogs Saturday Night (Weather depending)​
-Free Camping​
-Zeroing
-NRL 22 match on Saturday evening (sign up via practiscore run as a separate event)​

Sunday
-8 stages 80 round each.​
-UKD - Unknown Distance = find it, Range it & shoot it (Range Finders are fine and most stages will have a known size of something, if you'd rather use a reticle)​
-Time will be shared between team members, but should be very generous if the team is organized, shooters will work together​
-Round count somewhere around 140-160 per team.​ TBD
-There will be an area to stage/store the files away a bit from the FFP (field firing position).
-The FFP will be clearly marked in paint. The active team and all their gear must stay inside the marked FFP.
-Natural terrain like you might find hunting in the foothills, side-slopes, down-slopes, dead space problems.​
-Tripods, Shooting sticks, packs whatever you want to ruck up the hills will be fine.​
-The course requires between 2-4 miles of hiking depending on the starting position​. The trail is the same for all shooters. It is an out and back, so navigation is NOT needed.
Fee for early sign up (practiscore) fee will be $60 paid when you check in, going to $75 or $100 as we get closer. (We have to pay ROs)
https://practiscore.com/search/match...%5B0%5D=Avenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

Last edited by diver160651; 09-09-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Old 07-03-2019, 5:27 PM

OK, kinda sad.. lots of talk about liking to shoot Long range on Calguns and here we are in the middle of Ca.... Zero interest from the Calgun community??

Old 07-03-2019, 5:42 PM

Well sir, that is the weekend before Thanksgiving. Clearly you sir, do not cook. I can only speak for myself but, as I host Thanksgiving dinner, that is THE busiest weekend of the year for me.

If this happens some other time and I can find someone to carpool with from the Bay Area, I'd be interested. But not THAT weekend.
Old 07-03-2019, 6:53 PM

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity, thanks for posting.

I wish i was physically able to handle something like this. I would imagine it would be great fun.
Old 07-03-2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
Well sir, that is the weekend before Thanksgiving. Clearly you sir, do not cook. I can only speak for myself but, as I host Thanksgiving dinner, that is THE busiest weekend of the year for me.

If this happens some other time and I can find someone to carpool with from the Bay Area, I'd be interested. But not THAT weekend.

Hum - we also have monthly PRS Regional series matches...

NRL22 matches — lots if great stuff.. btw we have club members on the Peninsula and SJ, SF but few are in this forum.

Old 07-03-2019, 7:42 PM

Bringing this up with my PRS squad.
Old 07-05-2019, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
OK, kinda sad.. lots of talk about liking to shoot Long range on Calguns and here we are in the middle of Ca.... Zero interest from the Calgun community??
Kinda routine for Calguns....
Old 07-06-2019, 9:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
People don't want to drive more than 30 minutes and your location is more than 30 minutes from the vast majority of calgunners...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 07-06-2019, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
People don't want to drive more than 30 minutes and your location is more than 30 minutes from the vast majority of calgunners...
Although you are correct that this event is more than 30 minutes driving distance, any event could be within 30 minutes and still not have much interest beyond one or two people...

How many of these excuses have you heard (or used-be honest) when suggesting some "long distance shooting": I don't have a Kestrel, I'm busy that day, I only have a 100yd zero, my purse doesn't match my rifle....

Last edited by smoothy8500; 07-08-2019 at 2:26 PM..
Old 07-08-2019, 12:37 PM

Stretch my limits and try something new? Learn new skills to become a more well-rounded shooter? NRL22 match the night before? Get off the boring square range and have some fun?

Sounds like a great time.
Old 07-08-2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTodd View Post
Stretch my limits and try something new? Learn new skills to become a more well-rounded shooter? NRL22 match the night before? Get off the boring square range and have some fun?

Sounds like a great time.

Hey! Are you and Dave in??

I hoped to see you guys at the Tehama match.. see you guys had fun at the Nornev!

Hope to shoot with you guys again soon!!

Old 07-08-2019, 2:08 PM

Trying to see if the schedules work out between the two of us to make it.

I was working, so I couldn't make Tehama (Some day...)

NorNev is always a good time. The tripod on the reverse roof worked well.
Old 07-08-2019, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTodd View Post
Trying to see if the schedules work out between the two of us to make it.

I was working, so I couldn't make Tehama (Some day...)

NorNev is always a good time. The tripod on the reverse roof worked well.

Ya, their berms create dead space and stack on top of each other.. makes it tough if you haven’t shot it before.. maybe even a few times.

Old 07-09-2019, 6:22 AM

Through the scope, I would swear that the target at 650 and the target at 850 are 20 yards apart. Good matches and great people though. I'd encourage anyone to go shoot there too.
Old 07-25-2019, 2:37 PM

The team match is on! I know it is a ways out but if you are thinking of going please sign up..

The field firing positions will look similar to the image in the opening post. Note how prone might not clear the rise. This will be similar to hunting so you'll want shooting sticks, tripod, a really tall pack at a minimum.

let us know if you are looking for a partner..

Old 07-25-2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Note how prone might not clear the rise. This will be similar to hunting so you'll want shooting sticks, tripod, a really tall pack at a minimum.

Is the target at least 11" at 200yds? It seems I'm only a one-trick-pony...but I'll get there eventually. Guess I'll bump into you at Pendleton practical rifle match sometime.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 07-25-2019 at 5:02 PM..
Old 07-26-2019, 7:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Although you are correct that this event is more than 30 minutes driving distance, any event could be within 30 minutes and still not have much interest beyond one or two people...

How many of these excuses have you heard (or used-be honest) when suggesting some "long distance shooting": I don't have a Kestrel, I'm busy that day, I only have a 100yd zero, my purse doesn't match my rifle....
I'll add that some seem to think 300 yards is long range. well it is if you are using a 1873 Winchester in 45 colt
Old 07-26-2019, 7:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
many on this board talk a big game but few actually have the tools and skill or even no skill but high degree of desire and motivation to put the time in.

This place is full of half measures of men.

I drive three hours round trip to do my practice and testing in the desert. I know places where there is no limit to distance you can set targets.

I typically shoot alone. I've stopped inviting people due to the server lack of follow through

Last edited by kcstott; 07-31-2019 at 7:19 AM..
Old 07-26-2019, 7:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Looks and sounds fun, Hell it takes me a minimum of 40 mins to go shoot anywhere from my house!!
Old 07-26-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post

Is the target at least 11" at 200yds? It seems I'm only a one-trick-pony...but I'll get there eventually. Guess I'll bump into you at Pendleton practical rifle match sometime.

2MOA and larger- some will be really large but semi-Hidden creating kind of a loop..

I think it will be super fun

Old 07-26-2019, 11:19 AM

you guys have a club page?

what if I am solo? do you match up folks? i've not shot such a match before but I have a rifle that will work, me on the other hand... who knows.

max distance? my range finder is only good to 1k if I can get steady enough

of course thanksgiving week will be tough
Old 07-27-2019, 6:44 AM

Default Team UKD Field style Match is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
you guys have a club page?

what if I am solo? do you match up folks? i've not shot such a match before but I have a rifle that will work, me on the other hand... who knows.

max distance? my range finder is only good to 1k if I can get steady enough

of course thanksgiving week will be tough

Yes, we could hook you up. Single shooters should sign up and PM me.

The distances are from 250 to 900 with the average much closer to 400 as my guess. Targets should be 2moa or larger.

You only need 1 range finder for the team. Ideally, you want a tripod or shooting sticks though.

You can see our match schedule on the Practiscore link in my first post or by searching “matches” at the top and selecting “California” “long Range Rifle” and “Avenal” for the city.

What I would do is come to one of our other matches first. We’ll have one in September and October. These will be on the same general hills and the target distances will be known. If you are a new shooter, well put you in a group with someone who can help you a bit. You’ll also be able to shoot prone if you wish.

You’d be surprised. If you let us know it’s your first match, you’ll find the people super helpful. It’s a great way to get to shoot long range in a really supportive low key way, despite it being called a “match”. Think of it just as a fun way to shoot at a whole bunch of steel all over the hills.

Last edited by diver160651; 07-27-2019 at 6:49 AM..
Old 07-30-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
You’d be surprised. If you let us know it’s your first match, you’ll find the people super helpful. It’s a great way to get to shoot long range in a really supportive low key way, despite it being called a “match”. Think of it just as a fun way to shoot at a whole bunch of steel all over the hills.
^^^ THIS^^^
Old 07-30-2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, we could hook you up. Single shooters should sign up and PM me.

The distances are from 250 to 900 with the average much closer to 400 as my guess. Targets should be 2moa or larger.

You only need 1 range finder for the team. Ideally, you want a tripod or shooting sticks though.

You can see our match schedule on the Practiscore link in my first post or by searching “matches” at the top and selecting “California” “long Range Rifle” and “Avenal” for the city.

What I would do is come to one of our other matches first. We’ll have one in September and October. These will be on the same general hills and the target distances will be known. If you are a new shooter, well put you in a group with someone who can help you a bit. You’ll also be able to shoot prone if you wish.

Thanks. I found your matches in PS and started to follow. I'll have to see what my schedule is like, I already have a bunch of USPSA commitments.

I appreciate the info. Lot to consider and some additional gear to buy if i do it.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:45 AM

Just signed up and a friend will be joining me, coming up from socal.

A question we were wondering,
First ever UKD field match for me (and him I think), for shooting the stages can the spotter be using his rifle or does he need to have binos/spotting scope?
Old 07-31-2019, 12:53 PM

Default Team UKD Field style Match is on!

The COF will vary by stage to keep it fun.

Sometimes you can both be on the Rifles, when you can that will certainly help with time.

On at least 1 or 2 stages, the terrain may be such that only 1 shooter can be on their rifle at a time, so binos would be great.

You might want binos to scan for targets before getting on the rifle to save time, not sure if you’d need a spotter though.

Last edited by diver160651; 07-31-2019 at 12:56 PM..
Old 07-31-2019, 1:01 PM

Gotcha, sounds great. Definitely plan on packing binos.

For these types of field matches, I assume there's a decently? marked trail we can follow to get to the various stages?

Is it setup so each stage has an RO for safety + calling our hits/score? So we hike to the stage, wait our turn, and then the RO gives the go to start scanning + shooting?
Old 07-31-2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk.32 View Post
Gotcha, sounds great. Definitely plan on packing binos.

For these types of field matches, I assume there's a decently? marked trail we can follow to get to the various stages?

Is it setup so each stage has an RO for safety + calling our hits/score? So we hike to the stage, wait our turn, and then the RO gives the go to start scanning + shooting?
The trail is the same for all shooters. It is an out and back. No navigation is needed.

There will be an area to stage/store the files away a bit from the FFP (field firing position). The idea here is to have a different perspective and a tiny bit of distance so the team firing doesn't give away their ranges to the rest of the squad waiting their turn. Of course it isn't so far away that you'd want to "yell" out your teams target distances.

Squads will be groups of teams and the COF (Course of Fire) will be explained before the team starts the clock. The COF will be explained to the entire squad at the staging area away from the actual FFP. At the FFP, the team will be the only ones that can be ranging and that will be done on the clock. The faster you can range and get your dope the more time the team has to shoot.

The FFP will be clearly marked in paint. The active team and all their gear must stay inside the marked FFP. But the FFP is 100% natural, so expect to be shooting on the side of a hill, or it could be flat with bushes or a rise causing you to stand using a tripod/shooting sticks or kneel shooting of your ruck; like you might find hunting.

Last edited by diver160651; 07-31-2019 at 2:30 PM..
Old 08-11-2019, 9:20 PM

Default Wow almost 4 months to go and only 2 spots left!!!

Wow almost 4 months to go and only 2 spots left!!!

Can't believe the we are just about filled up... 2 spots left..

Old 08-12-2019, 9:55 PM

Psyched for this match - but gotta get on the stairmaster now! lol Maybe dumb questions:

1. Can the shooters share a rifle?
2. Can they share a tripod or shooting position set-up? We are planning to pack only one tripod.
3. Is the match time just the time at the FFP? Or is the entire time of the hikes between positions too?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsandiego View Post
Psyched for this match - but gotta get on the stairmaster now! lol Maybe dumb questions:

1. Can the shooters share a rifle?
2. Can they share a tripod or shooting position set-up? We are planning to pack only one tripod.
3. Is the match time just the time at the FFP? Or is the entire time of the hikes between positions too?

Thanks
No dumb questions ~

Time is after a stage brief. The stage brief will happen just a bit away from the actually FFP. You get the the general location of the targets. Most of the targets will be clearly marked or within an easy to identify landmark, but one will be harder to find on at least 4 of the 8 stations.

The time starts after the shooter enter into the FFP, but before the shooters can range. The idea is NOT to get someone hurt, but have just enough time pressure to make it fun.

We are working on a way to even out the hiking draw so nobody has to hike the full 4 miles (out and back 2x). It is a leisurely hike, it is NOT timed and not a run.

You can share anything you want.. but not that in some stations you may be a disadvantage due to time. For instance shared gear would be very hard for any station that has the shooters shooting at the same time or alternating shots on target.

The thing is, that with the proper teamwork one can make just about anything work and it can be fun. If you are expecting to win the match then by all means, both shooters should have their own gear.

Jim

Old 08-14-2019, 7:49 PM

Wow with 3-1/2 months to go we are FULL.. Thank you.. It should be super fun..

Please get on the wait list if you are at all interested!!!

Last edited by diver160651; 08-14-2019 at 7:51 PM..
Old 08-16-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
...in some stations you may be a disadvantage due to time. For instance shared gear would be very hard for any station that has the shooters shooting at the same time or alternating shots on target.

If you are expecting to win the match then by all means, both shooters should have their own gear.

Jim
That right there is good information to know in advance.
Old 08-16-2019, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Is this similar to the Vortex Extreme Challenge?

Old 08-28-2019, 10:47 AM

Default Match Full- Get on wait list: Team UKD Field style Match - ONLY 2 spots left!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Is this similar to the Vortex Extreme Challenge?

Similar in the team idea- But no, ours you do not know your targets until you arrive at the stage, then you have to range them on the clock. There is also more Emphasis on managing the clock and team dynamics while shooting. The match is smaller in scope, less hiking etc

Last edited by diver160651; 08-28-2019 at 10:53 AM..
Old 09-09-2019, 11:21 AM

One of the team has a shooter that hurt their back.. We are looking for one shooter who would like to shoot this fun format

Teams will have a wait-list still