Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-01-2023, 6:52 AM

Default Caught a Fudd infection Glock collection being over run by 1911?s & all metal pistols

God damn it I?ve seen the light. Eons ago My safe contained nothing but the finest in Tactical Tupperware and Plastic Fantastics (Glocks, S&W?s, FN etc) and i swore up and down by the Glorious power of the 9mm and 10mm cartridge gifted to us. BUT NOW… over the last 8 or so months my safe has been Blessed by a new species of pistols. METAL FRAMES. Sig Mk25, Sig P220, beretta 92FS springfield 1911 mil spec, Springfield MC Operator, VZ50 32 auto, S&W PC 500 magnum 3in barrel, NAA 22lr mini revolver, NNA 22 magnum mini revolver, 1950?s pre 36 S&W chief?s special just to name a few. This Damn FFL03 and COE is screwing my wallet.

Never would i ever have considered putting a 1911 on my CCW but here i am. The Springfield MC Operator just might be the best Railed 1911 on the Roster in my opinion. Please Calguns, bless me with your love, your hate, you?re criticism i need attention from strangers on the internet and i need to hear your opinions.

I?m only 24 and the FUDD infection is taking hold and there?s a bad moon arising.

APPLY FOR YOUR CCW WITH CONCORD PD.

Last edited by A_FEMALE_MAN; 03-02-2023 at 12:26 PM..
Old 02-01-2023, 7:51 AM
Banned

here's the remedy to that ailment. sell everything and buy m&p 2.0 3.6" compact. it's all you'll ever need in a handgun
Old 02-01-2023, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncage View Post
here's the remedy to that ailment. sell everything and buy m&p 2.0 3.6" compact. it's all you'll ever need in a handgun

Thought all everyone needed was an on-roster Shield or was that 2022 thinking

iTrader

Last edited by 9Cal_OC; 02-01-2023 at 10:13 AM..
Old 02-01-2023, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Only 24 and those are just to name a few

New money or old money?
Old 02-01-2023, 9:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Some people never get “it”…they simply live life with plastic guns. Others, like you, come around. Then there is us types…you know, the Enlightened who started with 1911s and grew from there…
Old 02-01-2023, 9:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Psssst…..Revolvers…..

You’re welcome.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Only 24 and those are just to name a few

New money or old money?
100% my own money, i actually have 2 jobs and work about 60ish hours a week. I deffinetly send myself into a hole at times with these purchases but most of these pistols have been acquired through very smart trade deals. It also doesn’t help that i can buy guns at cost cause i work at an FFL as my second job.

For example, i got the 500 magnum in a trade where i traded an AR pistol that i essentially only had $1,000 invested into the whole rig.

The chiefs special i got for $100 cause the guy who sold it to me hated guns with a passion and his granpappy left it for him.

The MC operator i got for essentially $1,000. Paid $1200 but sold the 150 rounds of FMJ and the Stream-light TLR1 HL that came with the gun for $200.

Just wait your turn and fight the urge to BUY BUY BUY and the good deals just end up finding me!

Last edited by A_FEMALE_MAN; 02-01-2023 at 10:47 AM..
Old 02-01-2023, 9:45 AM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Psssst...Single Action Revolvers.

Happy to help.
-P
Old 02-01-2023, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post

Happy to help.
-P
I gotta ask, which is a good company and Caliber to start off with? I’ve done a little bit of research and the Ruger vaquero new models seem really solid! We had one at work in 45LC and it was extremely nice and fit in the hand like a glove! And i appreciate the fact that you can safely carry it with a full cylinder because of the transfer bar. But i love hammer mounted firing pins… something about shooting a gun the way it was originally designed just hits home. That’s why i love series 70’s 1911s. Not that there’s anything wrong with the series 80’s.

But i also love the 357 magnum cartridge cause of it’s price, power and compatibility with 38 special.

Oh, another thing i wanna ask. Should i buy the S&W model 329pd 44 magnum we got at my work? I think it’ll come out to $1100 after sales tax and DROS?

Old 02-06-2023, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post

Happy to help.
-P
Psssat, 1st Gen Colt SAA’s and USFA’s….

Glad to be of service,

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 02-01-2023, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Psssst...High end 1911's.

Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk and my personal fave-Les Baer. LB is a great and inexpensive entry to the custom/production 1911. Built and finished more like a tool than it is a piece of art. If you want something to look like you've drawn it 1,000 times out of a fine leather holster (Milt Sparks) and shot the crap out of it, go Les Baer. You're welcome!!!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-01-2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Psssst...High end 1911's.

Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk and my personal fave-Les Baer. LB is a great and inexpensive entry to the custom/production 1911. Built and finished more like a tool than it is a piece of art. If you want something to look like you've drawn it 1,000 times out of a fine leather holster (Milt Sparks) and shot the crap out of it, go Les Baer. You're welcome!!!
If you think the MC Operator is great... (have you tried the TRP? I know they are hard to get these days, but it beats the MC Operator).

Once you start shooting higher quality 1911s, you will come to appreciate the trigger, the craftsmanship, etc.

I concur with XDJYo, the Les Baer's are fantastic...one of my favorites and the price is right too. Going even higher up on the food chain, pretty much all the guns are great and it comes down to the builder/brand, styling, and philosophy that interests you. For me, Les Baer, Nighthawks, and Springfield customs are where its at (at the moment). I don't have the bread to expand on the collection much further in terms of high end 1911s.

I call them Rolex guns. (Actually at current prices, much cheaper than a Rolex sub, so they are a good value if you find what you want in stock).
Old 02-01-2023, 10:33 AM

The Boomers on this site are a wonderful gift from god! I have completely neglected to disclose all the wheel guns i bought! I shall update the Original Post cause i have also acquired a S&W PC 500 magnum with a 3in barrel, NAA 22lr mini revolver, NNA 22 magnum mini revolver, 1950’s pre 36 S&W chief’s special!

Old 02-01-2023, 10:49 AM

I would say one of my favorite guns is my S&W model 10-5! I think it has a 5in barrel but i’ll have to double check. I bought i about 2 months after i turned 21 and paid $300 for it and never looked back! Most fun gun i have other than the 500 magnum.

Old 03-07-2023, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_FEMALE_MAN View Post
I would say one of my favorite guns is my S&W model 10-5! I think it has a 5in barrel but i?ll have to double check. I bought i about 2 months after i turned 21 and paid $300 for it and never looked back! Most fun gun i have other than the 500 magnum.
"favorite guns is my S&W model 10-5 I have one and my light handloads are like a 22 LR fun fun fun" Its a gun is shoot to relax
Old 03-09-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
"favorite guns is my S&W model 10-5 I have one and my light handloads are like a 22 LR fun fun fun" Its a gun is shoot to relax
My Model 10 is by far my favorite revolver in my collection. It was my First revolver and first all steel pistol. It?s accurate, reliable and very fun to shoot. Ammo is cheap ish and 38special is easy to find again. Low recoil too which makes it perfect to introduce new shooters to the sport!

Old 02-01-2023, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Working at a FFL, will save you money per firearm, but cost you a lot more in overall cost

FYI - you need a CZ 75 and HK USP (though not all metal) for your collection.

Last edited by FNGGlock; 02-01-2023 at 11:04 AM..
Old 02-01-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNGGlock View Post
Working at a FFL, will save you money per firearm, but cost you a lot more in overall cost

FYI - you need a CZ 75 and HK USP (though not all metal) for your collection.

Does a CZ75 SP-01 count? LMAO. You see, my brain is fried and i forget what i have sometimes lol! That’s another one to add to the post. Lol that gun is fantastic to shoot! So the Day i turned 21 i got 3 handguns!
My Brother gave me a OD green Glock 19 and i went to Triple A sporting goods in Vallejo to do the PPT, they had “OLD NEW STOCK” Sig p220s for $750 and they had a consignment CZ75 SP01 for $500. Came back home 10 days later with 3 handguns

Last edited by A_FEMALE_MAN; 02-01-2023 at 12:03 PM..
Old 02-01-2023, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

It’s refreshing to see a youngster liking metal guns. I certainly hope you reload. And you stole that flat latch M36.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
It’s refreshing to see a youngster liking metal guns. I certainly hope you reload. And you stole that flat latch M36.
My train of thought goes like this. You should always diversify your arsenal, that way you know how to use a wide variety of weapons. don’t get me wrong here! I love my Glocks. Hell, i have 12 of them i think and All three of my guns on my CCW are Glocks.

I love to shoot everything, and I like to introduce my friends and family to a wide variety of guns. That way they know what guns fit them the most so that they can purchase one for themselves confidently.

I am the first in my family that really adopted the second amendment and my belief is that the Second Amendment is for everybody and that there are so many different types of shooters in our community.

There are days I want to go shoot my Daniel defense M4A1 Block clone and there are days when I want to shoot my SKS, or my Ruger 10/22 or my FN FiveseveN.

Last edited by A_FEMALE_MAN; 02-01-2023 at 12:16 PM..
Old 02-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Calguns Addict

You’ve learned at a young age that there are a crap load of great guns out there. Many let their bias and insecurities keep them from ever learning this, hell you can see it in this thread. But you sir are a step ahead of the game, but I have to ask what’s with the odd forum name. What’s the story behind it?

Everyone thinks mine is because I’m a veteran of desert storm and while that is true. The name actually comes from a Corvette I owned at the time I called the red storm.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
You’ve learned at a young age that there are a crap load of great guns out there. Many let their bias and insecurities keep them from ever learning this, hell you can see it in this thread. But you sir are a step ahead of the game, but I have to ask what’s with the odd forum name. What’s the story behind it?

Everyone thinks mine is because I’m a veteran of desert storm and while that is true. The name actually comes from a Corvette I owned at the time I called the red storm.
By Forum name do you mean “username”? Hahaha i love getting this question. I’ve always been a button pusher and it’s alot of fun to confuse people. I hate political correctness. I don’t go out of my way to insult people, in fact i think it’s a good life strategy to leave and be left alone. You do your thing and i do my thing. I never force my beliefs on others and i expect the same treatment. But that won’t stop me from saying what’s on my mind in a polite but strong and firm manner. The username is just that, not insulting any particular person but also voices my opinion that the whole topic is a freakin’ joke.

You can be a Plant for all i care but don’t expect me to call or treat you as a plant.

Calguns Addict

Double post

One thing I forgot to mention, is a technique that I practice to keep myself out of the hole. I do not buy a gun unless I can sell it for more than what I paid for it.

Old 02-01-2023, 1:02 PM

Plus it’s just plain old fun being a cheeky bastard.

Old 02-01-2023, 1:25 PM

Sounds like you are ready to start getting into fancy guns. Nighthawks, Ed Browns, Korths, Wilsons, etc.

You’ve got a great foundation to build on or even use some to trade up.
Old 02-01-2023, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglepuss View Post
Sounds like you are ready to start getting into fancy guns. Nighthawks, Ed Browns, Korths, Wilsons, etc.

You’ve got a great foundation to build on or even use some to trade up.
I’m so upset that ALL 3 of the Ed brown 1911’s fell off the roster at the beginning of the year. I’d love to get myself a Nighthawk or a wilson combat. Hell, half of the internal parts in the MC Operator are gonna be wilson combat.

Old 02-01-2023, 4:56 PM

If I had more money and more room in the safe for collectors items, rather than what I'd want to shoot I'd be going for mostly "fudd" guns, mostly mid/early 20th century US firearms of historical significance, and after that, 19th century.
  • M1 garand, historical slings, ammo belts, pouches, etc...
  • S&W model 10/15 revolver .38 special
  • M1911A1 - as close to WW2-era GI spec, if not surplus(these can be $$$)
  • Colt Army revolver in .45 Long colt, and then get it engraved with matching leather holster. I'd practice my quick draw.
  • M1903 springfield in .30-06, leather GI-spec sling
  • M1 Carbine

you do not need to be old to love history.

Last edited by Socal_Jack; 02-01-2023 at 5:00 PM..
Old 02-01-2023, 5:33 PM

Your not a real metal head until you buy and use a key chain magnet to avoid the alloy frames.
Old 02-01-2023, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_FEMALE_MAN View Post
…I’ve seen the light….

I’m only 24 and the FUDD infection is taking hold and there’s a bad moon arising.

Now ya'll gotta turn up the wattage.

Something like WWII era 1911's from all the manufacturers.

At least a couple of Colt Series 70's and/or Pre Series 70's.

A Browning Hi-Power or two. Maybe even go for a number of manufacturers and eras.

Colt Single Action Army Peacemaker (because... Colt) and Ruger Vaquero (maybe one in each variant)

You know, things like that. It's a bottomless pit to explore and exploit while you're young.

Oh, yeah. All of the above are good for such 'hazardous conditions.'
Old 02-02-2023, 6:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Only you can decide what’s the ideal firearm for you. Can’t go wrong with a 1911, 2011, Sig, Glock, CZ, HK, S&W, FN, REVOLVER.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 02-02-2023, 8:21 AM

BTW...congrats on getting your CCW in the SF Bay Area! Go Concord PD! I also read that SF Sheriff recently approved 1 CCW...what the hell? Is hell freezing over?

In either case, it is really good to hear you are experiencing a renaissance and trying out different guns. We all know the strengths of Glocks, they are the Toyota of the gun world.

Continuing the car world analogy, you are branching out into sports cars, and haven't tasted classic muscle cars, domestic sports cars, euro sports cars, and exotics. Its always good to branch out. Taking the analogy further, many people have no interest in driving manual transmission when automatics are available. But some of us prefer the experience of rowing through the gears and working the clutch.

Also operating a 1911 is a little more complex than a glock... cracks me up so many people blow a gasket about flipping the safety on and off. It is the same as flipping the safety on and off when you come on and off target with your AR. I bet most people don't realize it is the EXACT same motion. Talk about keeping your training manual of arms consistent lol.

Last edited by Peahi2; 02-02-2023 at 8:24 AM..
Old 02-03-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi2 View Post
BTW...congrats on getting your CCW in the SF Bay Area! Go Concord PD! I also read that SF Sheriff recently approved 1 CCW...what the hell? Is hell freezing over?
Appreciate it! We’re pretty lucky that our Police Chief is Pro Gun and he respects the 2nd amendment because Contra Costa County sheriff David Livingston doesn't at all. We were a “Yellow county” before the Bruen decision. If you really want to blow a gasket go take a look on the Sheriff’s website about the list of Firearms and accessories that are not allowed on your CoCoCo CCW.

“Prohibited firearms include any single action only firearms. This includes any semi-automatic handgun made by any manufacturer built on the Colt 1911 configuration. Prohibited firearms include derringers and any derringer variant.”

“Firearms with attached laser sights, flashlights, red dots, and sighting systems are not acceptable. Glow in the dark or luminescent sights are acceptable.“

https://www.cocosheriff.org/how-do-i...r-a-ccw-permit

Go to step 4 to see this for yourself.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:11 PM

Talk about FUD, the rules are kind of FUDy, sounding like some our own Calgun Fud'ers.

"Prohibited firearms include any single action only firearms. This includes any semi-automatic handgun made by any manufacturer built on the Colt 1911 configuration."
--Single action semi autos are more dangerous? 1911 style guns are death machines? OK, no six shooters for me.

"Firearms with attached laser sights, flashlights, red dots, and sighting systems are not acceptable."
--Red Dots banned? Target focus with a red dot is a good thing right? Lights? "Sighting systems are not acceptable?" What is wrong with being more precise? Lights can help identify a target in the dark I thought.

"Firearms which have been modified, including modifications to triggers, slides, safety mechanisms, and magazine releases are not approved.". Damn, no super stylin' agency arms or zev slides permitted...maybe that is a good rule lol. All my glockstore custom contraptions would not be permitted...dang.

Still tho, if I lived in Contra Costa I'd make this work! Stock for CCW would be good to go for me. I'd be good with a G43/X and prob my G19 or G26 since only 2 are allowed on the permit.

Last edited by Peahi2; 02-03-2023 at 12:18 PM..
Old 02-02-2023, 10:05 AM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I gotta ask, which is a good company and Caliber to start off with [for SA Revolvers]?
Simple answer: Ruger or Colt.

Long ago I had a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag. It was excellent! Not long ago, I fired a friend's Supre Blackhawk in .44 mag. Now, that was eye-opening!

Ruger also makes a Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible, but I don't know much about them.

If you can find a Colt Peacemaker in .45 Colt, snag it. I fired a friend's and liked it. Recoil is, well, ...interesting.
-P
Old 02-02-2023, 10:19 AM
Vendor/Retailer

That MC Operator sounds like a nice piece and it is still full size carry season.
Phone: 714-841-1480
www.RifleSupply.com
Old 02-05-2023, 8:14 AM

I’d love to snag a couple of the S&W Scandium frame & Titanium cylinder guns! As uncomfortable as it would be to shoot the S&W 340PD, it would be a badass carry gun. And the 329PD would be BADASS as a woods gun for Dangerous Game defense!

Old 02-05-2023, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

I did the same thing OP. I dont own a single plastic gun. My daily carry is an H&K P7. I just picked up a S&W 14-4 revolver and then got hooked on the 1911s. Not just any 1911s though. Im building a set made up of the masters. I already own a Jardine, Hoag, Swenson, Clark and am in search of an early Pachmayr combat special, early Seecamp conversion and a Bill Wilson Colt build (pre-combat)
Old 02-05-2023, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
I did the same thing OP. I dont own a single plastic gun. My daily carry is an H&K P7. I just picked up a S&W 14-4 revolver and then got hooked on the 1911s. Not just any 1911s though. Im building a set made up of the masters. I already own a Jardine, Hoag, Swenson, Clark and am in search of an early Pachmayr combat special, early Seecamp conversion and a Bill Wilson Colt build (pre-combat)
Wow man, you went DEEP ! Jardine too? Whoa!

The Pachmayr combat special was my dream gun when I was a kid back in the 80s...The two tone look was gorgeous. I still dig two tone guns to this day (like my TGO). I hope you find one!

photo off google, ARF.com
That gun was before it time... I'd take a regular trigger guard variant.

Last edited by Peahi2; 02-05-2023 at 8:07 PM..
Old 02-06-2023, 6:33 PM

Okay, someone has to be the crotchety one here…

I think I had two guns when I was 24. What percentage of your earnings are you investing for retirement? And those guns aren’t an investment. I’m talking 401K, IRA, etc.