Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 05-28-2019, 1:49 PM

Default Rifle Advice

I have signed up for an Appleseed event in a couple weeks. It will be my first time attending Appleseed. My main goals are to get more comfortable with positional shooting and to learn how to use a sling. A big motivator for me to improve is competing in monthly NRL22 matches that always have at least 1 positional stage.

My preference would be to use my main NRL22 rifle for the Appleseed training since it is what I shoot the most and what I compete with. However that rifle is a Vudoo V22 bolt action that weighs in at around 12lbs. I am concerned it might be too heavy for the extensive training of the Appleseed weekend.

I have a Marling 795 that I could bring which is much lighter, but it is semi-auto and has a much heavier trigger than my Vudoo. I'm worried I won't get as much training benefit since it is so different than my match rifle.

I'm curious to hear from experienced folks what their choice would be. Could I bring both and switch if the Vudoo started to get too heavy?

Thanks for your input.
(and just for giggles, pic of both rifles)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Range-5-26-19.jpg (97.2 KB, 96 views)
Old 05-29-2019, 7:52 AM

Bring the Vudoo, resist the urge to switch rifles until/unless you make your patch with that one and then want to change it up.

More in a sec...

Ok since its clear to me from the photo you know the importance of rifle fit (adjustable cheek pieces) I'm going to propose some suggestions that will help you get more out of the class (I'm a RedHat instructor).

Set your scopes up for prone shooting at high magnification. Adjust the eye relief so it is perfect when your cheek bone is right at the front edge of the cheek piece on the stock. This will be your repeatable position since if you turkey neck out (this will make sense when you take the class) you'll probably be off the cheek piece and your head floating in space (not repeatable). You will probably have to move the scopes forward in their rings.

Then dial your magnification back down to lower power and confirm that standing, or sitting/kneeling you still are set up great as far as eye-relief goes. Don't worry about re-zeroing, we'll take care of that in class (unless you have the time).

Get a real *cotton* GI web sling for $15 and an M-Lok stud or QD for the front 6'oclock, and a QD for the back.

Start practicing nightly getting into a cross-leg position and limber up your hips/back, I do this for the week before I teach and it makes a huge difference when I demonstrate the various seated positional shooting techniques (trigger-hand leg goes behind the support-hand leg).

Dont worry about the weight of the rifle, nor the fact that it is a bolt action. Your sling is going to be doing the bulk of the weight carrying, so long as you get your sling set up properly (this is what we teach) and the weight will be a benefit once you are perfectly positioned (what we also teach). When you see people struggling and cursing with double-feeds, fail-to-extracts, fail-to-ejects, and all manor of other problems caused by dirty 22LR in a dirty semi-auto, you will be confidently working your action and staying "in the zone" instead of clearing malfunctions on the clock.

Grab a stock of whatever decent quality (not 500+ bulk-box) 22LR your rifle likes best, and plan for a great time!

Last edited by hardlyworking; 05-29-2019 at 8:15 AM..
Old 05-29-2019, 6:14 PM

Thank you hardlyworking for thorough reply!

I have a GI Sling coming and I plan to practice getting in to position for the next couple weeks before the Appleseed.

I think my eye relief is good but I will check it. I am about as far forward as I can get with the scope and rings combo I have on the rifle now.

Ammo wise I think I am in good shape. I have a couple thousand rounds of SK Standard + which feeds well in my rifle and mags and hasn't given me any failures yet.

I am excited to learn, hopefully it will be a fun time.
Old 06-10-2019, 1:30 PM

I got my GI sling and got some practice in. I am excited for the Appleseed event this weekend.
Old 06-14-2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmphaticThumb View Post
I got my GI sling and got some practice in. I am excited for the Appleseed event this weekend.

Have fun
I just saw that there was an event in Rainbow this weekend. Too late for me to register for it though

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2019, 7:43 PM

Just finished day 1 in Rainbow. Really great crew of volunteers, I am very impressed with their organization. Lots of great information so far. Looking forward to day 2.
Old 06-24-2019, 8:51 PM

Where can I download those test targets?
Old 06-25-2019, 5:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Many target files here:
https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index....83220#msg83220
Old 06-25-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols View Post
This is great, thanks!