Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 04-15-2019, 11:00 PM

Default Mdt chassis

Picking up a savage this week. If it shoots as well as I want, I’m going to chassis it. Think I’m sold on the mdt ess. I want something fun, and start shooting some intermediate to long range comps. Any drawbacks. Any way to save a few bucks over retail?
Old 04-16-2019, 7:10 AM

Which one? New or used? Caliber? Barrel?
What type of competitions? PRS?

PRS guys will tell you to go custom but if you want a factory rifle get a Ruger Precision Rifle or a Tikka t3 Tac A1 instead. The argument is that the Savage bolt isn't smooth and can have extraction/ejection issues that will slow you down and cost you points. One of these options will be better out of the box. It only really matters if you're shooting PRS type matches where you really need to rush the bolt.

Last edited by SoCal326; 04-16-2019 at 12:10 PM..
Old 04-16-2019, 10:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Depends on which Savage he gets. The newer ones are a lot smoother than the older ones.

MDT has a new budget chassis line called Oryx. Not sure if they have Savage inlets yet.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not into chassis' but I do see KRG's showing up at F-class matches.
Old 04-16-2019, 3:01 PM

I currently run a MDT ESS XL with a T3x

Agree with the above though.

if you want to shoot competition, look at something like a RPR or a Tac A1, before you start upgrading your base rifle.

If you’re dead set on an MDT chassis and you’re a PRS member, send me a PM
Old 04-17-2019, 7:27 AM

So the rifle is already paid for. It’s a 10 in .308. Heavy barell with a brake. Not sure what class. Haven’t done all my research yet. It will be mostly used to get out with friends, but I do want to do some scoring against seasoned long range shooters. Learn more!!

I’m pretty settled on the ess chassis. I’m not afraid of paying retail, I’m just one of those guys that always looks to save a buck if possible.
Old 04-17-2019, 8:40 AM

Nice, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It should shoot and shoot well but there are a few things you can try.

Use a torque wrench for everything.

First off people say you should get a torque wrench and make sure those action screws are properly torqued. They probably are but its worth making sure. You could have accuracy issues if they aren't Most people use Wheeler Firearms Torque wrench.

Another thing you can do is try tuning the action screws. I'm not sure how it applies to a chassis but I suspect it doesn't matter as much. The idea is that your barrel vibrates like a tuning fork and adjusting the action screws can get the vibration just right for better accuracy. You'll probably never need to bother with it. Just torque to factory settings and it'll be good but at least you'll know its something you can try. On my hunting rifle it shrank my 100Y groups from 1.5" down to about 0.75"
https://www.accurateshooter.com/tech...torque-tuning/

Also Make sure to use lock tight when attaching the base for your rings.

If you like taking things apart then you could disassemble the bolt and clean it up. You REALLY don't need to (and probably shouldn't) but if you're into that sort of thing it could be fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TKE41dDOHQ

Do you have a scope yet? Which one?
Old 04-17-2019, 9:55 AM

Here is an example of the failure to eject issue. It doesn't happen all the time and may never happen to you but at least you'll know about it.
https://youtu.be/TTi8g4PPntU?t=316

Install one of these to fix it.
https://www.kinneysshootingsupply.co...-p/ss-2401.htm

Last edited by SoCal326; 04-17-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Old 04-17-2019, 11:35 AM

Thanks SoCal, I’ll check all those links tonight. The rifles used, but pristine inside. Looks to have had maybe a box or 2 through it. So I don’t think I’ll meet to strip the bolt yet. Plan on torquing everything correctly. It’s got a base rings, and a Pentax 8.5-32 on it. I’ll wind up busting out the scope kit, and laying everything in correctly with the new scope. If it shoots well, I’ll put a nice piece of glass on it. My buddy in Texas three a oal chamber gauge in the mail, so as soon as I get him info, he will start working loads. Then I’ll go spend a weeek with him laddering it.

I just want something fun to shoot to death right now. If I find I like the comp scene, I’ll take the time to build something full custom down the line!!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopro74 View Post
I’m pretty settled on the ess chassis. I’m not afraid of paying retail, I’m just one of those guys that always looks to save a buck if possible.
Man, you should've bought one last holiday season, they had some pretty ridiculous sale prices.

I'm not a comp shooter, just bought the LSS-XL gen2 and liking it so far. Regardless, its a huge step up from the OEM on the Savage FCP-K (.308win) and fairly similar to the ESS, stock and handguard aside.
Old 04-21-2019, 6:03 PM

Thanks all for the input. Took the rifle out yesterday. As soon as I settled in, and started doing my job, she was sub moa, even in high wind at 100. Ordered the gen 2 lss xl, and a skeleton stock, along with a viper gen 2 pst 5-25 today. Can’t wait to get it all put together, and start working up some loads.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

How is the gen 2 different than gen 1? I've seen the gen 1 on sale.
Old 04-25-2019, 1:10 PM

Gen 2 is longer, and a couple other differences. If you look at their site, it tells you. Optics planet is blowing out the gen 1’s through the end of the month. Basically half price.
Old 04-25-2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopro74 View Post
Gen 2 is longer, and a couple other differences. If you look at their site, it tells you. Optics planet is blowing out the gen 1’s through the end of the month. Basically half price.
if I'm not mistaken the gen1 doesn't have Mlok slots, and had a little clearance problems with certain bolts/bolt handles

the Gen2 is not longer, the Gen2 XL is the longer version.

biggest difference is the Mlok slots.