Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08-14-2019, 8:32 PM
silvertriple silvertriple is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sacramento
Posts: 579
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
Have you shot a sub 6lb. .308? I had a Savage Lightweight in 7mm-08 with a Leupold Ultralight 3-9 on it. Maybe 6lbs. 8ozs. total, in a round that kicks less than a .308, and it was pretty unpleasant to shoot. Itís replacement is a Weatherby Vanguard that is right at 8lbs. with scope, and that 24ozs. makes a shocking difference in recoil.

I know lightweight is popular and fun to brag on, but find one you can shoot before you plunk down your cash. That extra weight drops recoil energy by about 20%, and recoil velocity by more like 40%.

Yep, too light = more felt recoil. If itís for hunting then a few rounds here and there to sight in and in the field might be ok, but for a range day itís possible but unpleasant. Been there done that.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-15-2019, 7:45 AM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 17,032
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
What's the reason for the ultra lightweight requirement OP?
Theyíre not as heavy to carry around
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-15-2019, 8:39 AM
scbauer's Avatar
scbauer scbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 851
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
What's the reason for the ultra lightweight requirement OP?
As someone else said, itís about carrying the rifle around all day, possibly with a heavy pack on as well, so every ounce counts.

This is in the hunting forum on purpose, this isnít a bench gun (Iíve got a 13lb .308 for that ).

Appreciate all the feedback so far.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-15-2019, 8:48 AM
scbauer's Avatar
scbauer scbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 851
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
.308?
Yep
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-15-2019, 4:27 PM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,491
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
They’re not as heavy to carry around
Okay, yeah thanks for that. The fact that something lighter is not as heavy to carry never dawned on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
As someone else said, it’s about carrying the rifle around all day, possibly with a heavy pack on as well, so every ounce counts.
Well the reason I am asking is that my .308 700 VTR weighs about 7.5 lbs (I only know that because I just looked it up) and it's really pleasant to shoot. I'm 57 years old and I carried it for a couple 10+ miles days over loose terrain... I never once thought about it and I never have. Every ounce doesn't count, not really... Otherwise it's the Kimber end of story because it's clearly the lightest right? I can't imagine a 4lb .308 is very nice to shoot but whatever.

I'm just speaking for myself, if an extra pound or two meant that big of a deal it's a conditioning issue and not an equipment issue. Assuming you plan on packing some meat out, are you going to try to shoot a lightweight deer? Of course not... it could easily be five or ten pounds more than you expect, or ten pounds less. Since I have no idea what I'm going to be carrying really, I just shoot the rifle that's been by my side and I shoot well. Obviously I'll leave my 15 lb target rifle at home... but a 5.5 lb rifle vs. a 7 lb rifle or something? Doesn't make any difference to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
I’ve got a Remington Model 7 that I’ve got just under 6 lbs and it’s chambered in .300 RSAUM (very similar to a 300 Win Mag). I know where you guys are coming from... it takes some getting used to. But I’ll be fine.
Why not just use that?
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.

Last edited by ACfixer; 08-15-2019 at 4:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-15-2019, 6:03 PM
scbauer's Avatar
scbauer scbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 851
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
a 5.5 lb rifle vs. a 7 lb rifle or something? Doesn't make any difference to me.

For the record, I never said I needed a specific weight, just a lightweight .308, and that I wanted to put together a list.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-15-2019, 10:50 PM
scbauer's Avatar
scbauer scbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 851
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

List updated.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-16-2019, 7:39 AM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,491
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
For the record, I never said I needed a specific weight, just a lightweight .308, and that I wanted to put together a list.
I get it... but the title is "lightweight hunting rifles". It's just my experience that the differences between the lightweight and a standard rifle aren't enough to really pay that much attention to within reason when it comes to packing and hiking. Just my 2 cents and YMMV of course.

I guess I'm just saying that buying a rifle that's pleasant to shoot and one you'll practice with is more important than saving a pound or two in my world. Best of luck in your search. FWIW I'd buy the Weatherby Mark V if budget isn't an issue.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-16-2019, 7:49 AM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 17,032
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Okay, yeah thanks for that. The fact that something lighter is not as heavy to carry never dawned on me.



Well the reason I am asking is that my .308 700 VTR weighs about 7.5 lbs (I only know that because I just looked it up) and it's really pleasant to shoot. I'm 57 years old and I carried it for a couple 10+ miles days over loose terrain... I never once thought about it and I never have. Every ounce doesn't count, not really... Otherwise it's the Kimber end of story because it's clearly the lightest right? I can't imagine a 4lb .308 is very nice to shoot but whatever.

I'm just speaking for myself, if an extra pound or two meant that big of a deal it's a conditioning issue and not an equipment issue. Assuming you plan on packing some meat out, are you going to try to shoot a lightweight deer? Of course not... it could easily be five or ten pounds more than you expect, or ten pounds less. Since I have no idea what I'm going to be carrying really, I just shoot the rifle that's been by my side and I shoot well. Obviously I'll leave my 15 lb target rifle at home... but a 5.5 lb rifle vs. a 7 lb rifle or something? Doesn't make any difference to me.



Why not just use that?
A rifle that is lite is beneficial to those that actually pack game out. Perhaps you havenít experienced this particular aspect of hunting.

Oh, and your question of ďwhyĒ was kinda lame since the OP obviously WANTS a rifle on the lighter side because, well, it weighs less
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-16-2019, 8:12 AM
mulyhuntr mulyhuntr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: LN
Posts: 610
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post

Well the reason I am asking is that my .308 700 VTR weighs about 7.5 lbs (I only know that because I just looked it up) and it's really pleasant to shoot. I'm 57 years old and I carried it for a couple 10+ miles days over loose terrain... I never once thought about it and I never have. Every ounce doesn't count, not really... Otherwise it's the Kimber end of story because it's clearly the lightest right? I can't imagine a 4lb .308 is very nice to shoot but whatever.

I'm just speaking for myself, if an extra pound or two meant that big of a deal it's a conditioning issue and not an equipment issue. Assuming you plan on packing some meat out, are you going to try to shoot a lightweight deer? Of course not... it could easily be five or ten pounds more than you expect, or ten pounds less. Since I have no idea what I'm going to be carrying really, I just shoot the rifle that's been by my side and I shoot well. Obviously I'll leave my 15 lb target rifle at home... but a 5.5 lb rifle vs. a 7 lb rifle or something? Doesn't make any difference to me.



Why not just use that?
An extra lb or two IS a big deal when you think about how many items are required for an overnight backcountry hunting trip. If I had your attitude when loading up for a five night trip, my gear would weigh in excess of 70lbs, instead it weighs about 55. Saving 20%+ in rifle weight IS important when gaining a couple thousand feet in elevation at 9K+ feet.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-16-2019, 8:47 AM
scbauer's Avatar
scbauer scbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 851
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I get it... but the title is "lightweight hunting rifles". It's just my experience that the differences between the lightweight and a standard rifle aren't enough to really pay that much attention to within reason when it comes to packing and hiking. Just my 2 cents and YMMV of course.

I guess I'm just saying that buying a rifle that's pleasant to shoot and one you'll practice with is more important than saving a pound or two in my world. Best of luck in your search. FWIW I'd buy the Weatherby Mark V if budget isn't an issue.
My 13lb bench gun is pleasant to shoot. . I guess my point is that ďlightweightĒ is up to the buyer/shooter/hunter to define. If you think 15lbs is lightweight then by all means, carry that out for the hunt as it will be a sure shot when the time comes. But most people want something in the 7lb or under range. I didnít specify that, just that I would like to put together a list of lightweight guns.

All that said, Iíd prefer to bring this back to building the list rather than debating whether 16 ounces matters to one person more than another.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-16-2019, 8:48 AM
Nottacticool Nottacticool is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 46
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I'm just speaking for myself, if an extra pound or two meant that big of a deal it's a conditioning issue and not an equipment issue. Assuming you plan on packing some meat out, are you going to try to shoot a lightweight deer? Of course not... it could easily be five or ten pounds more than you expect, or ten pounds less. Since I have no idea what I'm going to be carrying really, I just shoot the rifle that's been by my side and I shoot well. Obviously I'll leave my 15 lb target rifle at home... but a 5.5 lb rifle vs. a 7 lb rifle or something? Doesn't make any difference to me.
Spoken like a true non-backpack hunter. The fact that a hunter may be hauling out meat is precisely why every ounce matters. The lighter the load going in, the more meat you can haul in your first load out.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-16-2019, 8:50 AM
180ls1's Avatar
180ls1 180ls1 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: all over
Posts: 5,976
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Okay, yeah thanks for that. The fact that something lighter is not as heavy to carry never dawned on me.



Well the reason I am asking is that my .308 700 VTR weighs about 7.5 lbs (I only know that because I just looked it up) and it's really pleasant to shoot. I'm 57 years old and I carried it for a couple 10+ miles days over loose terrain... I never once thought about it and I never have. Every ounce doesn't count, not really... Otherwise it's the Kimber end of story because it's clearly the lightest right? I can't imagine a 4lb .308 is very nice to shoot but whatever.

I'm just speaking for myself, if an extra pound or two meant that big of a deal it's a conditioning issue and not an equipment issue. Assuming you plan on packing some meat out, are you going to try to shoot a lightweight deer? Of course not... it could easily be five or ten pounds more than you expect, or ten pounds less. Since I have no idea what I'm going to be carrying really, I just shoot the rifle that's been by my side and I shoot well. Obviously I'll leave my 15 lb target rifle at home... but a 5.5 lb rifle vs. a 7 lb rifle or something? Doesn't make any difference to me.



Why not just use that?
On paper what you are saying sounds reasonable but in real life saving a pound or two on your rifle does make a substantial difference. Try it out for yourself on a long hunt where you're packing it for multiple days before you knock the guy. I'd bet you come back with a new opinion.
__________________
Shop at Amazon via shop42a.com - up to 15% of all sales go back to Calguns Foundation!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-16-2019, 9:10 AM
therealnickb's Avatar
therealnickb therealnickb is offline
RIP Big Dog
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Probably not in any line.
Posts: 5,410
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

I've done enough backpacking to agree 100% with the "ounces = pounds" camp.

I've also carried a 10+lb MSW on long day hunts. I'd never take that pig on an overnight/s trip.
__________________
There is nothing so tragic as the loss of a child. Parents and teachers have the right to protect them. They should also have the ability. 911 isnít enough.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-16-2019, 9:45 AM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,917
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

One think that I think is often over looked when shopping for a light weight hunting rifle is the stock design. Like another poster said, his cheaper Savage in 7mm-08 kicked like a mule, but its also a cheaper plastic stock, not optimized for recoil management.

Most of your standard stocks are going to have a flat comb. In good lightweight hunting stock will have a drop or negative comb. Basically the comb is higher in the butt, and lower near the action. That way when the rifle recoils, the stock is pulling away from your face and not pushing up into it. The lighter the rifle, and the bigger the cartridge, the more noticeable this will be.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-16-2019, 5:05 PM
scbauer's Avatar
scbauer scbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 851
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
One think that I think is often over looked when shopping for a light weight hunting rifle is the stock design. Like another poster said, his cheaper Savage in 7mm-08 kicked like a mule, but its also a cheaper plastic stock, not optimized for recoil management.

Most of your standard stocks are going to have a flat comb. In good lightweight hunting stock will have a drop or negative comb. Basically the comb is higher in the butt, and lower near the action. That way when the rifle recoils, the stock is pulling away from your face and not pushing up into it. The lighter the rifle, and the bigger the cartridge, the more noticeable this will be.
Very interesting. Any chance you can share an example?
(Iíll try Googling pictures, but my Google-fu is weak these days)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-16-2019, 5:08 PM
scbauer's Avatar
scbauer scbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 851
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
Very interesting. Any chance you can share an example?

(Iíll try Googling pictures, but my Google-fu is weak these days)

Well, I guess this is it, although itís not clear to me what the difference is.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-16-2019, 6:35 PM
scbauer's Avatar
scbauer scbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 851
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Ok, for those like me who didnít know about negative comb, here you go:

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-16-2019, 7:50 PM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,917
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
Very interesting. Any chance you can share an example?

(Iíll try Googling pictures, but my Google-fu is weak these days)


As you found Gunwerks makes them and thereís a few on Stockys. If you look at any of the higher end hunting stocks youíll see the comb is shaped differently.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-20-2019, 6:14 AM
scbauer's Avatar
scbauer scbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 851
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Okay, seems like a decent list we’ve got now.

Anybody shot 2 or three of the guns on the list and have an opinion they’d like to share?

I was at Sportsman’s Warehouse the other day and held 3 or 4 of the guns on the list, including one that wasn’t on the list (but got added) and is now possibly my top choice, the Browning X-bolt HC Speed.

Opinions?
  • Kimber 84M Mountain Ascent (4/13)
  • Barrett Fieldcraft Standard (5/2)
  • Kimber Montana (5/2)
  • Christensen Arms Summit TI (5/8)
  • Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter (5/8) [walnut stock]
  • Sako 85 Finnlight II (5/10)
  • Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight (5/12)
  • Ruger American (6/2)
  • Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon SPEED (6/5)
  • Christensen Arms Ridgeline (6/6) [not sure if that weight is 20” or 24”]
  • Tikka T3x Superlight (6/6)
  • Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather (6/8)
  • Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness (6/12)
  • Winchester Model 70 Featherweight (6/12)
  • Ruger M77 Hawkeye (7/0)
  • Remington 700 XCR II (7/5)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 08-20-2019, 6:32 PM
scbauer's Avatar
scbauer scbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 851
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

A few years old, but still has a few of the rifles on the list.

https://www.browning.com/news/articl...okweather.html

In case you can’t tell, I’m now heavily researching the X-bolt HC Speed. Now the question becomes, do I stray from the .308?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-20-2019, 6:47 PM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,491
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
I was at Sportsmanís Warehouse the other day and held 3 or 4 of the guns on the list, including one that wasnít on the list (but got added) and is now possibly my top choice, the Browning X-bolt HC Speed.
Well, I was going to mention it... it's on my short list for a 300 magnum. But then ya know.... "ounces are pounds" and apparently I've never been backpack hunting according to the experts here.

I really like that rifle in theory but I've never held one, how did the action feel? by the way. And BTW Leupold makes a burnt bronze scope to match the cerakote.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-20-2019, 6:55 PM
scbauer's Avatar
scbauer scbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 851
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Well, I was going to mention it... it's on my short list for a 300 magnum. But then ya know.... "ounces are pounds" and apparently I've never been backpack hunting according to the experts here.



I really like that rifle in theory but I've never held one, how did the action feel? by the way. And BTW Leupold makes a burnt bronze scope to match the cerakote.


The action is what sold me (well, has me leaning that way). It was VERY smooth, I really like the short movement in the bolt (60į), and I read a post on a different forum about someone comparing the X-bolt to the Kimber Montana and many people were saying they were having problems with the Kimber binding up and how much they loved the X-bolt.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-20-2019, 7:09 PM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,491
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
The action is what sold me (well, has me leaning that way). It was VERY smooth, I really like the short movement in the bolt (60į), and I read a post on a different forum about someone comparing the X-bolt to the Kimber Montana and many people were saying they were having problems with the Kimber binding up and how much they loved the X-bolt.
To me, that rifle is checking all the boxes best I can tell. The weight (IMO of course) is right, the quality is there as you say, and the price is in the middle of the road considering the Kimber and the Weatherby offerings... you can get in the rifle and a nice glass for the $2K mark and I think you'll have a really solid choice.

Matching optic: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818574036

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
In case you can’t tell, I’m now heavily researching the X-bolt HC Speed. Now the question becomes, do I stray from the .308?
Well, why the .308 in the first place? I mean I like the caliber, sure a lot nicer to 'choot than the magnums when you just need a deer-size gun right? I guess what I'm wondering is, if you stray from the .308 what would the other choices be since you already have a .300 RUM? IMO nothing really brings enough else to the table to outweigh the incredible availability of the .308 unless maybe you're thinking .30-06 or .270? But it's all the same IMO, the -06 offers a few more FPS but again you have the RUM if you need extra punch right?

I'm not really a fan of the oddball calibers really, not for a "go-to" rifle anyway. I have an -06 and a 7mm Mag and I choose my .308 about 80% of the time.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.

Last edited by ACfixer; 08-20-2019 at 7:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:27 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.