Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-11-2023, 1:58 PM
Veteran Member

The best ccw gun for me and my needs depends on the time of year, where I?m going, what I?m doing, where I?m staying and for how long.

That being said, I?m fortunate to be able to carry any make, model or caliber I want and without a restriction of only ?three.?

That all said, I find myself mostly carrying a Glock 43, 43x or a 26, 9 times out of 10 for general EDC.

Sometimes though, I?ll carry a custom FN Hi-Power, a Glock 27, 23, 33, 32, 31, 19, 19x, 29, 22, 17, 20, M&P 2.0 9mm, a Beretta 9mm or 45, various Hk?s in 9 or 45, Colt 10mm, .45, 38Super, or .380 mustang? Again it just depends on the mood and event for the day.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 12-03-2023, 6:56 PM

I?m on 6 years with my ccw in CA

I?ve had many ccw guns on my permit and narrowed it down to:

p365 X macro
FN reflex
Shield plus PC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2023, 6:11 AM
Veteran Member

The best is whatever I grab out of the safe for the day and go. Why make it so complicated and long winded? It’s not rocket science.

Just do you Boo.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 12-07-2023, 7:09 AM

IMHO, a CCW pistol ought to be like doritos... they will make more!
Don't use a precious family heirloom or something 'spensive.. if you ever use it to defend yerself or others, it might end up in a police evidence locker with a department serial/ID number stenciled on it for a couple years!

in 10 round states, a shield 9mm with an extra mag'r'two is prolly about the sweet spot...

if you can swing it, or don't care if you print, a full size M&P or Glock 9mm is prolly not a wrong answer...

if 9mm is too much... a Bersa 380 is a bit smaller, less powerful cartridge... and they seem to function properly... not too expensive... (Maybe not a 10,000 round gun, but will do the job)

IMHO

this is pretty much my EDC for 90% of life...

edc-12-07-2023.jpg

Yes... and this! http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/87senrpt.pdf

Good Guys with Guns HERE

Last edited by Mithrandir13; 12-07-2023 at 7:33 AM..
Old 12-07-2023, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
The best ccw gun for me and my needs depends on the time of year, where I?m going, what I?m doing, where I?m staying and for how long.

That being said, I?m fortunate to be able to carry any make, model or caliber I want and without a restriction of only ?three.?

That all said, I find myself mostly carrying a Glock 43, 43x or a 26, 9 times out of 10 for general EDC.

Sometimes though, I?ll carry a custom FN Hi-Power, a Glock 27, 23, 33, 32, 31, 19, 19x, 29, 22, 17, 20, M&P 2.0 9mm, a Beretta 9mm or 45, various Hk?s in 9 or 45, Colt 10mm, .45, 38Super, or .380 mustang? Again it just depends on the mood and event for the day.
Bruh... that is a total flex!!!

I fully approve!!

carry on!

Old 12-07-2023, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca2AZ View Post
Starting a thread on best options for ccw pistols. I'd love if everyone gave their opinion on what they think is the best and why. Remember, it's based on your opinion, so there are no wrong answers. This is your chance to brag on your ccw choice and why you think it's the best. I hope it is also helpful to those new to CCW and they might see a CCW pistol option they hadn't considered before.

So here's my two cents:

I have 3 ccw pistols, P365 Spectre Comp, Shield 9 with Apex trigger, and a Canik MC9. Because of the magazine capacity of 7 or 8 +1, the Shield gets no time in the rotation. So for me it is between the Sig and the Canik.

I'm a huge Sig fan, and love the modularity which I'm sure is why it's so popular.

Sig Pros: modularity, aftermarket support, looks badass, magazine capacity and the grip with beavertail fits perfectly in my hand.
Sig Cons: trigger is just a little squishy, price ($1300 retail, $2k CalGuns)

After shooting the Canik for a while, I've gotta say it's an incredible little gun. Out of the box, the trigger is amazing.. it feels like the Apex trigger on my Shield.

Canik Pros: Amazing trigger, very accurate (for me), not at all snappy due to heavier slide, comes with 12 and 15 round mags (blocked of course), and number one PRICE ($400 retail, seeing about $1k CalGuns).
Canik Cons: Not much aftermarket support, bore axis is just a little high/grip beavertail doesn't allow me to get as high of a purchase compared to P365.

All in all both great guns, and I carry my Sig pretty much everyday, but I really enjoy shooting the Canik.

My problem: There are so many great handguns!

I divide a gun's suitability for personal carry into three parts:

Carry
Fighting ability
Concealment

* Carry: How well the gun carries in a holster. This includes spare ammunition and any accessories (lights, RDS, even Glock grip plugs). This includes presentation of the grip to the hand for the draw.

* Fighting ability: This contains many variables: reliability, accuracy, capacity, caliber, ability to assist or hinder the shooter with recoil, sights, terminal ballistics, speed of draw, etc. Anything that involves the actual fighting part of a pistol.

* Concealment: While it could be an attribute of "Carry", it's so important to so many people that I believe it deserves its own category. It describes how well a gun, spare ammunition and accessories hide under all conditions.

Each person will prioritize these in the order that makes sense to them. Within that, the priorities can change based upon circumstance, such as having to carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster for deep concealment rather than the usual Glock 17.

All that said, I always TRY to prioritize fighting over the other two attributes. This results in choices that go against the current "standard" for carry. This means longer barrels, wider slides and grips, and larger calibers. Contrast with the current trend of building the smallest 9mm pistol around a 10 round box magazine. Heck, I think the skinniest gun has a slide 0.9" wide! This is crazy narrow, but the shooter also pays for it in extra felt recoil, possibly reduced grip tightness and certainly a shorter grip that doesn't support all fingers and the palm.

So, for me, despite owning the P365, LCP, Glock 43 and other small guns, the Glock 19 "class" of guns still comes out as the "best". Specifically, the Glock 19 is under 5" tall (Glock's measurement of 5.04" includes the sight), 4" barrel, and 1" wide. I find this to be an excellent standard that assists in shooting, manages recoil well, and has enough capacity for a fight.

So, for me, the best carry gun is the Glock 19 "class" of guns. Examples: SIG P229, Glock 19/23/32, Glock 30/30S/30SF, HK P30SK, HK45 Compact, CZ P10C, S&W M&P 9 Compact M2.0, SIG P320 Compact, and similar. As much as I like the smaller guns like the Glock 26, SIG P365, and Glock 43, etc they do not shoot anywhere near as well. I reserve them for times when "Concealment" is essential and I'm forced into the compromise. Other than that, I try to carry the largest gun, in the biggest caliber with the most ammunition that I can manage (to paraphrase Jim Cirillo).

Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p

Last edited by tomrkba; 12-07-2023 at 8:57 AM..
Old 12-08-2023, 9:35 AM

For me M&P Shield in 9mm with some enhancements.
Old 01-26-2024, 5:35 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I go between a Shield 9mm and a Kahr CW9. Both are very good in the hand. Just bought a HK P2000. That may take the place of my G19 on the permit. We will soon see.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:57 AM

I have my 3 listed here;

1. Springfield Armory EMP3 9mm
2. Springfield Armory 1911 A1 45acp
3. Ruger GP100 4.2" 357mag

I use a belly band holster from VNSH and it feels awesome for all 3 guns.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
I go between a Shield 9mm and a Kahr CW9. Both are very good in the hand. Just bought a HK P2000. That may take the place of my G19 on the permit. We will soon see.
What?! No more Glock?

iTrader
Old 02-05-2024, 4:39 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
What?! No more Glock?
He's probably growing a beard too.
Old 02-10-2024, 9:57 PM

I wouldn't recommend sub compact firearms as they are generally harder to shoot. Anything from a glock 19 and above. If you can carry a 34 why not. I know more than a handful of dudes who carry 34s. But that's just my opinion. The way I look at it, I want to carry the best gun I can buy, if it's a staccato p, so be it.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:34 PM

Is best means what I carry the most? If so, Colt Combat Commander 45, and my no crime day carry is the P2000SK 9mm. I also have a a full size Colt GCNM 45, but I use it as a backup in case my commander is in service - I plan to replace it in my renewal with a Springfield EMP4 9mm.
Colt Pro: ultimate man stopper - carry with Civil Defense 600fpe. Easy to conceal, and I shoot it best.
Cons: heavier and more expensive than plastic fantastic. MSRP $1,000, CG up to $2,500.
P2000SK LEM Pro: extremely reliable and high quality roster gun, great for deep carry, and nothing is safer than a double action hammer gun.
Cons: more expensive than most guns in the roster, no fun to shoot, fatter than wife?s 365. MSRP $900
EMP4: it?s a hybrid between the two, I prefer the longer barrel over the 3.25? on the HK, and it?s lighter than the Commander. MSRP $1,300, CG up to $2,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2024, 8:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My personal favorite is the P7. It's very flat and that makes it more easy to conceal. It uses a gas piston system to lock the action during the firing cycle and that helps to reduce the overall size. It also gives a very "tight" feel to the recoil. It points well and when properly gripped, will return to the point of aim after firing.

The grip lever makes every round fired a "Single Action" and ensures that there is no spring tension on the firing mechanism when carried. That lever eliminates the need for a conventional safety. It can also frustrate the efforts of someone who is unfamiliar with the weapon to fire it. You can rack the slide, and pull the trigger all day long. All that you'll do is eject live rounds. The weapon will not fire until you know what to do with the grip lever.

There are two drawbacks to the P7:

1) Good luck finding a holster for it, particularly a shoulder rig The large makers don't offer anything.

2) Be aware that you can also fire the weapon with the grip lever. If the trigger is pulled to the rear, nothing happens. If the lever is pulled while the trigger is to the rear, the weapon will fire.
Old 02-11-2024, 2:16 PM

Glock 19 w/x300
Staccato cs w/ streamlight
Staccato P w/ x300
Old 02-11-2024, 3:48 PM
Calguns Addict

On the waiting list for the shield plus. If Ruger comes out with a CA approved LCP or the roster is no longer, those will sell like hot cakes.

I like a pocket gun, subcompact and compact.

Lcp
Shield
G19

Shield has magguts kit for the mags.
Old 02-11-2024, 4:09 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Sig P365 in its original form. Best balance of size, capacity, and controllability in a valid self-defense caliber. And has the added benefit of being able to plug the FCU into a larger kit if you need more grip space or capacity.
Old 02-11-2024, 5:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Good shooter^^^^!

The one you have trained the most with. At my last CCW renewal, the guy next to me said he put 300 rounds through his Glock 19 to prepare for the CCW qual. He asked how many rounds I had through my P-01. I told him about 10,000 at that time. I still suck with it. But , the way people were shooting at my last two CCW renewals, , it really didn't matter what they were shooting as it was evident that had not practiced much.

It's not the arrow , it's the Indian and what you make work best for you.

P-01,

P365 XL . I had an issue with the P365 flopping forward. The longer slide of the XL and a better holster ( JMCK) changed that.

Glock 19 ( which is a bit more comfortable Than the P-01 and about as easy to conceal as the XL).

Last edited by JoyfulJoker; 02-11-2024 at 5:18 PM..
Old 02-12-2024, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
On the waiting list for the shield plus. If Ruger comes out with a CA approved LCP or the roster is no longer, those will sell like hot cakes.

I like a pocket gun, subcompact and compact.

Lcp
Shield
G19

Shield has magguts kit for the mags.
You're going to love the Shield Plus when you get it. The trigger is vastly improved over the original Shield and I never thought the original Shield had that bad of a trigger. I have both now.
Old 02-12-2024, 1:39 PM

Looking at this again...

Frankly, all are solid choices. You really cannot go wrong with any of them.

I think you should focus. Two guns on your license should be identical. This way you have a backup immediately available for carry in case of loss or failure. Your third should fulfill any requirement you see fit.

You should have one designated practice gun for each model on your license (your carry guns should be low round count -- minimal use, verification of accuracy and ammo). Then you should focus upon training. Your shooting with any gun will improve. I do recommend learning to shoot 1911's, DA/SA guns like Berettas and SIGs, revolvers, striker fired guns, etc. Tons of dry fire will help, especially if you use a Mantis X.

Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p
Old 02-12-2024, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

If you have the time and resources, competing in USPSA or IDPA with your carry set up is invaluable. Your skillset and your gear will be laid bare and what needs to change will be evident very quickly. You have stress, pressure, movement , problem solving etc. It's humbling but the payoff is immense.
Old 02-12-2024, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol_Ned View Post
You're going to love the Shield Plus when you get it. The trigger is vastly improved over the original Shield and I never thought the original Shield had that bad of a trigger. I have both now.
Nice - good to hear. I have the off roster shield so will try and remove or disable the safeties on the shield plus.
Old 02-12-2024, 7:06 PM
НАТО в Хату!
CGN Contributor

I posted in “law” sub section, but some people may be interesting here too. Skip BS about modification and add, guy is claiming DROS info disappear in DOJ on November transfers. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1901875

In real life: No one
Old 02-13-2024, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Nice - good to hear. I have the off roster shield so will try and remove or disable the safeties on the shield plus.
My original Shield is also off-roster. The first thing I did with the Shield Plus is remove the magazine disconnect and the LCI. It's more involved (and possibly more expensive depending on the route you go) than a P365 though. I went all out and bought a free state slide and barrel to get rid of the LCI. All Shield slides are interchangeable from the original to the 2.0 to the Plus.

The magazine disconnect involves removing the Sear housing block and either removing the magazine disconnector from it or replacing it entirely with a free state one (I bought one for about $20).

This guy has the mag disconnect removal instructions:
https://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P2.htm
Old 02-13-2024, 4:09 PM

Just bought me'self a CrossBreed holster with the Kydex front and leather back, IWB....

wow... very nice...

Yes... and this! http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/87senrpt.pdf

Good Guys with Guns HERE
Old 02-13-2024, 7:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol_Ned View Post
My original Shield is also off-roster. The first thing I did with the Shield Plus is remove the magazine disconnect and the LCI. It's more involved (and possibly more expensive depending on the route you go) than a P365 though. I went all out and bought a free state slide and barrel to get rid of the LCI. All Shield slides are interchangeable from the original to the 2.0 to the Plus.

The magazine disconnect involves removing the Sear housing block and either removing the magazine disconnector from it or replacing it entirely with a free state one (I bought one for about $20).

This guy has the mag disconnect removal instructions:
https://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P2.htm
Thanks for info!
Old 02-14-2024, 12:09 PM

I have the following on my permit, listed in order from most carried to least:

Glock 19
Sig P365
Glock 26
Glock 45
Sig P320

Glock 19 is by far the most carried, probably 70% of the time and I almost never carry the P320 but like having the option.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:06 PM

I've been CCW for 10 years now. I made the decision a few years back to exclusively carry my Springfield XD45 because of its tremendous reliability.

Unfortunately, the extreme summer heat in my part of California is forcing me to possibly reconsider a lighter and more concealable option for summer attire. The idea of carrying a lesser caliber to go smaller is a nerve-racking decision. Any thoughts from people in a similar situation? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2024, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmansion View Post
I've been CCW for 10 years now. I made the decision a few years back to exclusively carry my Springfield XD45 because of its tremendous reliability.

Unfortunately, the extreme summer heat in my part of California is forcing me to possibly reconsider a lighter and more concealable option for summer attire. The idea of carrying a lesser caliber to go smaller is a nerve-racking decision. Any thoughts from people in a similar situation? Thanks in advance.
The Kahr PM45 (5 rd flush) is just about the same size as my Sig p938 that I carry!
For me, its the perfect size for Compact Carry
Old 02-17-2024, 10:39 PM
НАТО в Хату!
CGN Contributor

Summary I agree with

In real life: No one
Old 02-24-2024, 10:01 AM

The best carry gun is the one I trust the most in a life or death situation. For me, it's my HK P2000SK V2 LEM 9mm. It has never once failed to feed and fire ANY ammo, and it's very accurate. I also have an M&P Shield and Kahr PM9 on my permit, which are easier to conceal, but the HK is on a different level of quality and reliability IMHO.
Old 03-01-2024, 1:59 PM

It really depends on the person, their needs, what they're comfortable carrying, and how proficient they can get with the firearm to determine what generation Glock 19 they should purchase.
Old 03-03-2024, 9:41 PM

FN Reflex MRD
Glock 43X MOS
Ruger LCP Max

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-12-2024, 9:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
The best gun for CCW is what fits you... What you can comfortably conceal and in a caliber that you can perform to acceptable standards (I dont even consider CCW standards a "standard")... For some it can be a G43... While others can be a full-sized 1911...

_
+1. Whatever one can shoot and conceal well.
Old 03-16-2024, 8:38 AM

Glock 43x
Glock 19
Glock Perfection
Old 03-16-2024, 4:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I’m in process in San Mateo County. It’s been over a year, and just had the phycological eval last week so waiting to hear.

Glock 43x MOS
Sig P365xl

Both with Holosun 507k green dots. If I ever get the permit, I will add a third when I have to renew. I want small and slim over larger round count for comfort and concealment.
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream

Last edited by calif 15-22; 03-16-2024 at 4:59 PM..