Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 12-29-2023, 1:12 PM
Lady Ruger's Avatar
Lady Ruger Lady Ruger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 293
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderosa View Post
Placer Co. (sheriff) = No - but with SB2 and 2024 who knows...
SB2 does not require psych evals. It is still up to the IA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
SB 2 continues to leave psych evals to the discretion of the IA.
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post
Hey, folks,

I would still like to hear from you about whether or not your IA requires a psych eval in order to get a CCW.

Once I get a good sampling, I'll send it to CRPA who is suing CA on this part of SB2.

Thanks for the replies thus far!
-P
Why? SB2 does not require them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSideburns View Post
Did the state psych evaluations portion of SB2 get struck down too? I haven't had time to read through the ruling yet but I'm sure the state will appeal to their 9th Circus and get it rammed through anyway with their hand selected en banc panels.
There isn't a state required psych eval. It remains up to the IA.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-29-2023, 1:14 PM
Lady Ruger's Avatar
Lady Ruger Lady Ruger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 293
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporsnake View Post
Still ongoing application process with San Bernardino, and I just got a call to schedule a psych eval.
San Bernardino does not require them of all applicants.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-29-2023, 4:07 PM
Preston-CLB's Avatar
Preston-CLB Preston-CLB is offline
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tuolumne County
Posts: 2,150
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Lady Ruger,

It's good to hear SB2 does not require a psych eval. However, CRPA has filed suit against several IA's for excessive fees, requiring references, and requiring psych evals.

I thought I'd send the data I gather in this thread to them: It may help.
-P
__________________
"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you are satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper."
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-05-2024, 11:52 AM
Preston-CLB's Avatar
Preston-CLB Preston-CLB is offline
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tuolumne County
Posts: 2,150
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I am still interested in your response to my question: Does your IA require a psych eval?

Thanks, folks!
-P
__________________
"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you are satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper."
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-05-2024, 1:38 PM
Bbonez Bbonez is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Barbara County
Posts: 428
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Santa barbara county = Yes
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-06-2024, 6:03 PM
gwhiz's Avatar
gwhiz gwhiz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 650
Posts: 171
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Mountain View: yes
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-13-2024, 10:00 AM
calsj916's Avatar
calsj916 calsj916 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 14
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Campell PD = Yes
__________________
NRA Life Member
CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-13-2024, 10:56 PM
bigbully bigbully is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 1,900
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Whittier PD = Yes

$150 if applied before 2024. $450 going forward!

3 gun limit also dropped to 2.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-15-2024, 10:27 PM
SDM44's Avatar
SDM44 SDM44 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,804
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

West Covina PD = Yes
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-21-2024, 2:03 AM
CAGLS's Avatar
CAGLS CAGLS is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Socal SGV
Posts: 3,606
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

This must have changed even with the injunction on the ?sensitive places? part of SB2 with the rest left alone and also being that the law took effect after the New Year.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-21-2024, 8:59 AM
Dvrjon's Avatar
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11,020
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
This must have changed even with the injunction on the ?sensitive places? part of SB2 with the rest left alone and also being that the law took effect after the New Year.
Pre-SB2, the psych evaluation was discretionary to the IA and could cost no more than $150.

Under SB 2 the psych evaluation is still at the discretion of the IA, but the cap on costs has been removed to actual costs.
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-21-2024, 9:03 AM
randomBytes's Avatar
randomBytes randomBytes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,604
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Sunnyvale PD yes, and it alone caused a 2 month delay in the process.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-21-2024, 1:40 PM
FutureCaliforniaRefugee FutureCaliforniaRefugee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 3
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Long Beach PD requires a psych eval, I had mine a short while ago. It consists of two remote visits over Zoom, one that has you fill out the MMPI psychometric test, which consists of dozens upon dozens of true or false questions designed to see A) If you're insane, B) If so, what type of insane you are, or C) If you're lying about not being insane.

You had to take this test with the video camera on but the mic off and your hands visible, in a conference call with around ten other CCW applicants (pro tip, turn off your full name in Zoom options before joining), presumably to make sure you weren't Googling the answers to make yourself sound less like a crackpot than you actually were.

A few days later there was a one on one interview with the actual psychiatrist, who explicitly tells you that there is no doctor patient privilege in the conversation and everything you say is going to be reported directly to your IA, and that if you set off any red flags during the conversation they are going to tell you exactly what sort of damning evidence they were going to send in to get your CCW denied.

Thankfully the shrink liked me, said my MMPI results were normal, and when they asked the standard "Why do you want a CCW?" question and I jokingly asked if they had been outside lately, they laughed and said they used to live in LA but had moved to Idaho, because they knew exactly what I was talking about. They even recommended the CCW insurance they use and suggested I sign up myself.

In general the answer to everything the shrink asks you should be no. In particular no you have never taken any drugs, and when they try to gotcha you with "NOT EVEN MARIJUANA? IT'S LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA NOW, YOU KNOW!" just say no, again.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-21-2024, 2:00 PM
Carl88 Carl88 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 67
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

i do not give credence to psych evals from the same side that thinks men can be women and pedophilia should be normalized

the prisoners have taken over the asylum
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-31-2024, 1:37 PM
Preston-CLB's Avatar
Preston-CLB Preston-CLB is offline
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tuolumne County
Posts: 2,150
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Anyone else's IA requiring psych eval?

Thanks, folks!
-P
__________________
"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you are satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper."
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-31-2024, 5:11 PM
dC0m's Avatar
dC0m dC0m is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 436
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

San Francisco (PD): Yes

The psych seemed like he was really annoyed/hated his job/did not want to interview a 2A'er...
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-03-2024, 2:01 PM
splithoof splithoof is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,070
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCaliforniaRefugee View Post
Long Beach PD requires a psych eval, I had mine a short while ago. It consists of two remote visits over Zoom, one that has you fill out the MMPI psychometric test, which consists of dozens upon dozens of true or false questions designed to see A) If you're insane, B) If so, what type of insane you are, or C) If you're lying about not being insane.

You had to take this test with the video camera on but the mic off and your hands visible, in a conference call with around ten other CCW applicants (pro tip, turn off your full name in Zoom options before joining), presumably to make sure you weren't Googling the answers to make yourself sound less like a crackpot than you actually were.

A few days later there was a one on one interview with the actual psychiatrist, who explicitly tells you that there is no doctor patient privilege in the conversation and everything you say is going to be reported directly to your IA, and that if you set off any red flags during the conversation they are going to tell you exactly what sort of damning evidence they were going to send in to get your CCW denied.

Thankfully the shrink liked me, said my MMPI results were normal, and when they asked the standard "Why do you want a CCW?" question and I jokingly asked if they had been outside lately, they laughed and said they used to live in LA but had moved to Idaho, because they knew exactly what I was talking about. They even recommended the CCW insurance they use and suggested I sign up myself.

In general the answer to everything the shrink asks you should be no. In particular no you have never taken any drugs, and when they try to gotcha you with "NOT EVEN MARIJUANA? IT'S LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA NOW, YOU KNOW!" just say no, again.
Wow!
That sounds like being called up to the front of the church, and having a rectal exam in front of the whole congregation, then being asked how well you wipe.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-04-2024, 3:33 AM
1flhtk4me 1flhtk4me is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Billings,Mt.
Posts: 323
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

When I lived in San Benito County .....YES
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-13-2024, 10:02 AM
Preston-CLB's Avatar
Preston-CLB Preston-CLB is offline
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tuolumne County
Posts: 2,150
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thanks guys!

I'd still like to see additions here.
-P
__________________
"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you are satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper."
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-13-2024, 2:26 PM
FillWerrell FillWerrell is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Posts: 5
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Beverly Hills (BHPD) - Yes
Applicants also need to cover the full amount of $400-500 going forward (previously max $150)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 02-14-2024, 9:58 AM
Dan_Eastvale's Avatar
Dan_Eastvale Dan_Eastvale is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 7,268
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillWerrell View Post
Beverly Hills (BHPD) - Yes
Applicants also need to cover the full amount of $400-500 going forward (previously max $150)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Extortion!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-14-2024, 10:12 AM
WithinReason WithinReason is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 686
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Extortion!
Agreed!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-17-2024, 8:52 AM
SDM44's Avatar
SDM44 SDM44 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,804
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

If you're currently applying through myccw.us make sure you check the new psychological exam approved vendor listed on there - Seal Beach Counseling.

They've done away with the San Bernardino vendor who increased their fee from $150 to $400, and it's confirmed that Seal Beach Counseling is only charging $150 (the doctor said he's starting to get busy with people calling him to make appointments from ccw applicants, and he's now 2 weeks out for appointments). Hopefully that fee doesn't increase as he gets more busy.

The other convenient thing is that he does everything over a video call so you don't have to drive all the way out there in person, like you had to for the San Bernardino psych eval location.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:03 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy