Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 12-29-2023, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderosa View Post
Placer Co. (sheriff) = No - but with SB2 and 2024 who knows...
SB2 does not require psych evals. It is still up to the IA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
SB 2 continues to leave psych evals to the discretion of the IA.
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post
Hey, folks,

I would still like to hear from you about whether or not your IA requires a psych eval in order to get a CCW.

Once I get a good sampling, I'll send it to CRPA who is suing CA on this part of SB2.

Thanks for the replies thus far!
-P
Why? SB2 does not require them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSideburns View Post
Did the state psych evaluations portion of SB2 get struck down too? I haven't had time to read through the ruling yet but I'm sure the state will appeal to their 9th Circus and get it rammed through anyway with their hand selected en banc panels.
There isn't a state required psych eval. It remains up to the IA.
Old 12-29-2023, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporsnake View Post
Still ongoing application process with San Bernardino, and I just got a call to schedule a psych eval.
San Bernardino does not require them of all applicants.
Old 12-29-2023, 4:07 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Lady Ruger,

It's good to hear SB2 does not require a psych eval. However, CRPA has filed suit against several IA's for excessive fees, requiring references, and requiring psych evals.

I thought I'd send the data I gather in this thread to them: It may help.
-P
Old 01-05-2024, 11:52 AM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

I am still interested in your response to my question: Does your IA require a psych eval?

Thanks, folks!
-P
Old 01-05-2024, 1:38 PM

Santa barbara county = Yes
Old 01-06-2024, 6:03 PM

Mountain View: yes
Old 01-13-2024, 10:00 AM

Campell PD = Yes
Old 01-13-2024, 10:56 PM

Whittier PD = Yes

$150 if applied before 2024. $450 going forward!

3 gun limit also dropped to 2.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

West Covina PD = Yes
Old 01-21-2024, 2:03 AM
Veteran Member

This must have changed even with the injunction on the ?sensitive places? part of SB2 with the rest left alone and also being that the law took effect after the New Year.
Old 01-21-2024, 8:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
This must have changed even with the injunction on the ?sensitive places? part of SB2 with the rest left alone and also being that the law took effect after the New Year.
Pre-SB2, the psych evaluation was discretionary to the IA and could cost no more than $150.

Under SB 2 the psych evaluation is still at the discretion of the IA, but the cap on costs has been removed to actual costs.
Old 01-21-2024, 9:03 AM

Sunnyvale PD yes, and it alone caused a 2 month delay in the process.
Old 01-21-2024, 1:40 PM

Long Beach PD requires a psych eval, I had mine a short while ago. It consists of two remote visits over Zoom, one that has you fill out the MMPI psychometric test, which consists of dozens upon dozens of true or false questions designed to see A) If you're insane, B) If so, what type of insane you are, or C) If you're lying about not being insane.

You had to take this test with the video camera on but the mic off and your hands visible, in a conference call with around ten other CCW applicants (pro tip, turn off your full name in Zoom options before joining), presumably to make sure you weren't Googling the answers to make yourself sound less like a crackpot than you actually were.

A few days later there was a one on one interview with the actual psychiatrist, who explicitly tells you that there is no doctor patient privilege in the conversation and everything you say is going to be reported directly to your IA, and that if you set off any red flags during the conversation they are going to tell you exactly what sort of damning evidence they were going to send in to get your CCW denied.

Thankfully the shrink liked me, said my MMPI results were normal, and when they asked the standard "Why do you want a CCW?" question and I jokingly asked if they had been outside lately, they laughed and said they used to live in LA but had moved to Idaho, because they knew exactly what I was talking about. They even recommended the CCW insurance they use and suggested I sign up myself.

In general the answer to everything the shrink asks you should be no. In particular no you have never taken any drugs, and when they try to gotcha you with "NOT EVEN MARIJUANA? IT'S LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA NOW, YOU KNOW!" just say no, again.
Old 01-21-2024, 2:00 PM
Banned

i do not give credence to psych evals from the same side that thinks men can be women and pedophilia should be normalized

the prisoners have taken over the asylum
Old 01-31-2024, 1:37 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Anyone else's IA requiring psych eval?

Thanks, folks!
-P
Old 01-31-2024, 5:11 PM

San Francisco (PD): Yes

The psych seemed like he was really annoyed/hated his job/did not want to interview a 2A'er...
Old 02-03-2024, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCaliforniaRefugee View Post
Long Beach PD requires a psych eval, I had mine a short while ago. It consists of two remote visits over Zoom, one that has you fill out the MMPI psychometric test, which consists of dozens upon dozens of true or false questions designed to see A) If you're insane, B) If so, what type of insane you are, or C) If you're lying about not being insane.

You had to take this test with the video camera on but the mic off and your hands visible, in a conference call with around ten other CCW applicants (pro tip, turn off your full name in Zoom options before joining), presumably to make sure you weren't Googling the answers to make yourself sound less like a crackpot than you actually were.

A few days later there was a one on one interview with the actual psychiatrist, who explicitly tells you that there is no doctor patient privilege in the conversation and everything you say is going to be reported directly to your IA, and that if you set off any red flags during the conversation they are going to tell you exactly what sort of damning evidence they were going to send in to get your CCW denied.

Thankfully the shrink liked me, said my MMPI results were normal, and when they asked the standard "Why do you want a CCW?" question and I jokingly asked if they had been outside lately, they laughed and said they used to live in LA but had moved to Idaho, because they knew exactly what I was talking about. They even recommended the CCW insurance they use and suggested I sign up myself.

In general the answer to everything the shrink asks you should be no. In particular no you have never taken any drugs, and when they try to gotcha you with "NOT EVEN MARIJUANA? IT'S LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA NOW, YOU KNOW!" just say no, again.
Wow!
That sounds like being called up to the front of the church, and having a rectal exam in front of the whole congregation, then being asked how well you wipe.
Old 02-04-2024, 3:33 AM

When I lived in San Benito County .....YES
Old 02-13-2024, 10:02 AM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Thanks guys!

I'd still like to see additions here.
-P
Old 02-13-2024, 2:26 PM

Beverly Hills (BHPD) - Yes
Applicants also need to cover the full amount of $400-500 going forward (previously max $150)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2024, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillWerrell View Post
Beverly Hills (BHPD) - Yes
Applicants also need to cover the full amount of $400-500 going forward (previously max $150)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Extortion!
Old 02-14-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Extortion!
Agreed!
Old 02-17-2024, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

If you're currently applying through myccw.us make sure you check the new psychological exam approved vendor listed on there - Seal Beach Counseling.

They've done away with the San Bernardino vendor who increased their fee from $150 to $400, and it's confirmed that Seal Beach Counseling is only charging $150 (the doctor said he's starting to get busy with people calling him to make appointments from ccw applicants, and he's now 2 weeks out for appointments). Hopefully that fee doesn't increase as he gets more busy.

The other convenient thing is that he does everything over a video call so you don't have to drive all the way out there in person, like you had to for the San Bernardino psych eval location.