Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-15-2019, 4:52 PM

Glock 33?
Old 10-15-2019, 5:30 PM

I've got two EMP's (9 and 40) and a Glock 26. For me the all-steel EMP 40 is too heavy to be comfortable, but the alloy-framed EMP 9 is a very comfortable and concealable gun. In fact on a scale of 1 - 10 the EMP 9 would score a 9.5 for comfort. The only gun I have that is more comfortable is a 11.5 oz S&W J frame. The EMP also has a slight edge in shootability - after all it is a 1911 and has a very nice trigger. Given better sights it could almost double as a target gun.

The Glock on the other hand is a chunky beast. I find it concealable enough but I'm not one who frets over printing. As far as a comfortable gun to carry I'd give it an 8 out of 10. With the factory 10-round magazine I think it would be hard to detect unless you're a hugger. With the 12-round magazine (thanks freedom week) you get a good three-finger purchase on the grip without as much added length as a Glock 19 magazine.

Which is a better gun? For me if your main criteria is concealment the EMP wins hand down. It is very slim and lays flat against your side in a proper holster (which is hard to find for the EMP). The Glock 26 comes out ahead in almost every other aspect - reliability, capacity, availability of accessories, ruggedness, etc. Also, you can probably buy two Glock 26s and have change left over for what you will pay for the EMP.

BTW, I had to send both of my EMPs back to SA to have the ejectors drilled and pinned. There was no cost and the did a super job but you might want to consider that too.
Old 10-15-2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Ha! I was waiting for that!

So I’ll throw this in.... if one will carry a G19 for CCW, ya might as well make it a G29 (10mm).

Get ‘er done....

You should have seen the look I got when asking the OCSD if they would let me add my SW 500 with a 4” barrel.
Old 10-15-2019, 7:17 PM

I carry the Shield with a 7+1 with 1 or 2, 8 round mags. With the 7 it's very compact, 1" wide and I can cover it with just a t-shirt a 4:30 position, but if you need a full grip the 8 round mag is perfect.
Old 10-15-2019, 7:52 PM

I have the Glock 26, one EMP 3” (out of two), and various 1911’s.

The EMP is Glock 19 sized. They are generally badly built guns. My first was a QC nightmare that was (and could) never be fixed. My second, made a few years later, had some of the same QC problems, but all were fixed. It seems to be reliable now.

The WC is a 1911ish gun. It will carry like a gun that is 5 1/4” tall. It does not meet your criteria for carry. It is nearly $3k new for 15+1 capacity. But, it will be limited to 10 anyway, so there is no advantage. You could get a Glock 26, lots of ammo and a course at Gunsite, which is a better value in my opinion.

Overall, I recommend the Glock 26. It is one of my favorite guns. It is very accurate and reliable. Its grip lengthens or shortens as needed. Carry it with a finger rest mag baseplate in the appendix position for great concealment. I do not recommend the 12 round Glock magazines due to reliability issues. Since this is California, the 12 and 15 round mags are not available anyways. But, a Glock 19 mag with A&G grip sleeve makes for comfy shooting even on a 10 round mag.

Why buy a $2,800 gun that you cannot fully utilize due to capacity restrictions?

Last edited by tomrkba; 10-15-2019 at 8:02 PM..
Old 10-25-2019, 11:18 PM

Double stack Glocks are great for capacity, but can be tough to conceal. Sig p365 hits the sweet spot with same capacity as G26 but .25 thinner, much easier to conceal with flush fit mags.
Old 10-26-2019, 6:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanaco View Post
Double stack Glocks are great for capacity, but can be tough to conceal. Sig p365 hits the sweet spot with same capacity as G26 but .25 thinner, much easier to conceal with flush fit mags.
I appreciate your position, however a slight correction...The Glock 26 is 1.18” thick, the P365 is 1” thick. Making the 365 .18” thinner, not even .25” And in a holster, it’s even slightly less.

To some that is a big difference. Others, not so much. It comes down to personal preference. We should all be mindful to not list something as “fact” for everyone. While I think the P365 is a fantastic pistol, I prefer the 26 for carry. I have giant hands and the P365’s grip feels too thin for me. The 26 with 12rd mag is perfect....FOR ME. Perfect in that I can just barely get my pinky on it, while sacrificing absolutely NO spare grip. I prefer the 19’s grip size, but for concealment, 26 wins.
Old 10-26-2019, 9:07 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Glock 19. Compact, reliable, easy to work on.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
I appreciate your position, however a slight correction...The Glock 26 is 1.18” thick, the P365 is 1” thick. Making the 365 .18” thinner, not even .25” And in a holster, it’s even slightly less.
Nope. The actual overall width of a G26 is 1.26" whereas the overall width of the P365 is 1" https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...sig-sauer-p365 That's a 26% difference.

One of the first guns I bought for CCW in CA was a G27. I ended up hardly ever carrying it, as it was no easier to conceal than a G19 or G23.

On the other hand, I can pocket carry a P365 - even with its 12 round magazine. However, I typically carry it using a Simply Rugged OWB Cuda holster under a tee shirt. I'm not a big guy, yet friends who know I carry can't tell whether I have it on not. I can't do that with the G27.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTII View Post
Nope. The actual overall width of a G26 is 1.26" whereas the overall width of the P365 is 1" https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...sig-sauer-p365 That's a 26% difference.

One of the first guns I bought for CCW in CA was a G27. I ended up hardly ever carrying it, as it was no easier to conceal than a G19 or G23.

On the other hand, I can pocket carry a P365 - even with its 12 round magazine. However, I typically carry it using a Simply Rugged OWB Cuda holster under a tee shirt. I'm not a big guy, yet friends who know I carry can't tell whether I have it on not. I can't do that with the G27.
I would say it depends on where you carry too. I carry the 26 way more than the 19 because the grip sticks out whereas the 26 is a non issue. If the 26 prints, then usually the Shield takes over.

iTrader
Old 10-27-2019, 10:42 AM

So I went to Turner's today to see how everything feels. TBH the Glock just doesn't feel like a good fit. I feel like I don't hold it well.

I'm looking at a p365 and an SAS and deciding which one I like more. I decided against EMP because I was nervous carrying the weapon cocked and loaded relying on the safety but was reminded of my ignorance that I forgot about the grip safety. So now I'm considering the EMP again. I don't know that I like having the hammer area open to junk getting in though since I would be carrying it every day.

The Glock feels small and uncomfortable but will probably be the most reliable of them. I just tried playing with the Glock again today as well as the EMP, and the EMP felt GREAT and the Glock felt unwieldy. So in consideration of the grip safety now the EMP is back in the list.

I thought I could use a full size magazine on the Glock and see if it helped. Definitely helped with the grip having a pinky finger but still just didn't feel comfortable...
Old 10-27-2019, 2:45 PM

EMP and G19 owner. Sold a Shield and Sig 938 edc the EMP. The G19 sits in the safe. 2k rounds with out an issue once I learned not to use thick oil for lube
Old 10-27-2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name View Post
EMP and G19 owner. Sold a Shield and Sig 938 edc the EMP. The G19 sits in the safe. 2k rounds with out an issue once I learned not to use thick oil for lube
Thank you. I think I’m going with the P365 but I just tried CZ 75-P01 and it felt really, really good. Plus I like the DA first pull so the risk of ND/AD should be nil...
Old 10-27-2019, 3:12 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by krb View Post
Thank you. I think I’m going with the P365 but I just tried CZ 75-P01 and it felt really, really good. Plus I like the DA first pull so the risk of ND/AD should be nil...
Also check out the CZ PCR: decocker as well, but no rail. It’s also on roster.

A CZ 75 compact is X9 sized...

— Michael
Old 10-27-2019, 4:06 PM

Starting anew?

Would give a serious look at the GLOCK G48 9mm.

Especially considering that Shield Arms is producing the reasonably priced S15 steel aftermarket 15 round flush magazine for it.

The key to CCW happiness is "thin," and a minimum length grip.

So, for me, both the GLOCK G36 .45ACP and Sig P938 9mm work fine.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 10-27-2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
Also check out the CZ PCR: decocker as well, but no rail. It’s also on roster.

A CZ 75 compact is X9 sized...

— Michael
Still looking on stuff online ... CZ RAMI looks interesting. Another poster recommended buy more than one on the CCW so if one goes down you can still carry while it's out for repair.
Old 10-27-2019, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Still looking on stuff online ... CZ RAMI looks interesting. Another poster recommended buy more than one on the CCW so if one goes down you can still carry while it's out for repair.

It’ll happen naturally as you carry more....different options become intriguing, discovered, desired, or available.

That’s why I say you’re wasting your time trying to find “one best”

I added or deleted 3 times in my first 2-yr. period, lol.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 10-27-2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
It’ll happen naturally as you carry more....different options become intriguing, discovered, desired, or available.

That’s why I say you’re wasting your time trying to find “one best”

I added or deleted 3 times in my first 2-yr. period, lol.

Hi. Yeah. It's just I'd like to see how I like one before I buy another. Another commenter recommended make sure to have more than one because if you only have one and it breaks you can't carry anymore.

I ruled out the G26 and EMP. Nothing wrong with them. Just not for me. So P365 +/- SAS and now CZ 75 P-01 vs. RAMI. The P-01 felt great. Turners carries both. I went to the Reseda Turner's and the former was there but I had just discovered CZ as a carry option so I will probably call them and see if they carry both to compare.

I just spent HOURS on the internet looking up the P365 and probably an hour or two just now on the CZ. CZ looks frankly awesome. Pretty universally positive reviews. I really haven't seen anything negative about them at all, in contrast to the P365 with the striker drag and catastrophic broken pins and triggers. I really, really hope those problems are fixed! I emailed Sig and the original response was that there is striker drag in all micro-compacts which really gave me the heebie-jeebies. If they can't acknowledge that there was a problem, how confident can I be that it's fixed? But I've only read reports of failures for around April 2018 manufacture date and earlier. Fingers crossed. But I don't think you can buy a gun for defense if there is a significant risk of catastrophic failure.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:00 PM

If you go with P01, check on G10 grips, the factory grips are comfy, but extremely wide.
Old 10-28-2019, 5:32 PM

Just my experience, I have been carrying a P365 IWB at 3-4 o'clock but have been a little hesitant to AIWB it because of the thought of shooting myself in the groin/femur. I, personally, feel a little better about appendix carrying a DA/SA gun (and I seem to shoot CZs better than anything else)... so I got a Vedder LightTuck for my P01 and decided to see how comfortable it is to AIWB carry. I also changed the rubber grips to much thinner Lok grips. To my surprise, I can carry it pretty well despite not being a big guy. I will probably have to relegate it to winter carry but I also have a P938 that I pocket carry in the summer when I really want to pack small. I am taking a Mike Pannone course soon, gonna try to use my P01 appendix for that course and see how it goes...

Last edited by jdogg2000; 10-28-2019 at 5:41 PM..
Old 09-11-2020, 12:18 PM

HI everyone. So I bought the CZ-RAMI to carry while I waited for the Sig to come in. The CZ is great. I like its weight which absorbs any sensation of recoil. Eventually the Sig P365 came in. It is simply amazing. It feels awesome in the hand. Shoots like a dream. Easy to conceal. I love it. Have been wearing it concealed since Covid. Almost 24-7 (except for sleeping and bathing) it’s on my waist.
Old 09-16-2020, 5:52 PM

Glock 26.
Old 09-16-2020, 6:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlinker View Post
Glock 27
I like this answer, here is my Glock 27, but I run 9mm in it

Old 09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
I would say it depends on where you carry too. I carry the 26 way more than the 19 because the grip sticks out whereas the 26 is a non issue. If the 26 prints, then usually the Shield takes over.
I carry the P365 in the Cuda OWB holster from 2 to 4 o'clock depending on the location of my pant's belt loops. You would not be able to tell. IMHO printing is overstated - especially in CA where no one is expected to be carrying. I always used to think the LEOS could tell when I was carrying in CA, but no one ever said a word. So, even if they could tell, it never made a difference.

It's not illegal to print. The gun is still concealed. The only thing I ever really concern myself with is the dreaded "clunk." (The sound made when the grip of your gun slams against a wooden or plastic chair back.) My P365 set up will never clunk. On the admittedly rare occasion when I carry my G45 (G19 with G17 length grip), I have to carry closer to 2:00 to avoid the potential of a clunk but I still use a OWB holster and a tee. Still, 99% of people would never know I was carrying.
Old 09-17-2020, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Friend of mine is trading his 4” EMP for one of those 9mm Wilson’s and cash...lots of cash ha ha.
Old 09-17-2020, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thin and easy carry is the LC9S Pro.

9 rounds. No external safety so you better know what you’re about.

In Vegas Baby I fits in my back pocket like a wallet.

To see it in action google up Hickok45 and watch his test.

Off roster but can be found.

Be well
Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

Last edited by Oceanbob; 09-17-2020 at 6:23 PM..
Old 09-17-2020, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My main carry gun is a G26, either with a Pearce pinkie extension on the 10rd mag, or an Xgrip on a G17 mag.

*Don't mind the lint all over the gun*

My smallest carry gun is a Kahr PM9 which is shorter and narrower. But it's super easy to conceal no matter what I'm wearing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200727_203308296.jpg (95.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-17-2020, 6:56 PM

For the G26, I added pierce grip to the stock mag and no hanging pinky issue. I also added the beaver tail grip on the Gen 4 which works perfect for me. For a back up mag, I use a G17. Nice compact CCW gun. I forgot how accurate that gun was. Haven't shot in a while and recently shot it when renewing my ccw permit. I was shooting better with the G26 than my G17 that day.

When I add more firepower, I use a G30s and that has a rail for a light. It fits perfect in the hand stock with the sf grip set up, yet is more of a G19 profile for size even though it is considered a subcompact. It adds the option for a 45 in the carry rotation with light/laser.
Old 09-17-2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Hi. I’m a little guy. Looking for a compact 9mm for CCW. I was looking at Glock 26 because of the reliability, internal/no external safety, and tiny size. It’s a bit hard to hold because your small finger just hangs off. The handle is really short. So one option would be to use the 17 round G34 magazine which would add probably 1.5” to the grip. It might look silly but it seems to me it would get the job done as well as the extra extender you can purchase but with the advantage of extra rounds.

I asked the guy at the store what else he would recommend for CCW. He said a Sig and showed me but it printed moderately bigger, big enough it seemed not to fit the bill. Then he showed me a Springfield EMP which felt great. No mushy glock trigger. Felt great in the hand. Trigger was amazing. I’d be nervous about carrying a cocked loaded gun relying on the external trigger in case it caught on my pants and released the safety. Then it seems to me you’re just waiting for an accident. Finally ... if I can get one ... Wilson EDC X9!

Was wondering if anyone has experience with this. I’m really looking for something small and undetectable meaning people at work won’t know it’s there.

Thanks!
I CCW a Shield 9mm in an IWB FOXX holster almost everyday. Very hard to detect. You get used to relying on the holster to protect your trigger from AD/ND’s.
I also recommend checking out my CCW revolver thread. Lots of good info so far on smaller revolvers in .38sp or .357. 5 or 6 shots of either is nothing to thumb one’s nose at, plus you get reliability and conceal-ability which sounds like a high priority for you.

I’ll look forward to seeing what you decide on.
Old 09-18-2020, 5:05 AM

Quote:
HI everyone. So I bought the CZ-RAMI to carry while I waited for the Sig to come in. The CZ is great. I like its weight which absorbs any sensation of recoil. Eventually the Sig P365 came in. It is simply amazing. It feels awesome in the hand. Shoots like a dream. Easy to conceal. I love it. Have been wearing it concealed since Covid. Almost 24-7 (except for sleeping and bathing) it’s on my waist.

Dang sorry, I missed this post where you made a choice already...haha

CZ's are awesome. I had a P-01 that I regret selling. I hear good things about the P365, too.
Old 09-18-2020, 6:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

G26 + Pearce PG-26XL
Old 09-18-2020, 7:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
I have carried and fired an XD40 SC a lot. It’s snappy but shoots great. The nine would be easier to shoot I’m sure. Just a little fat for CC. But it works.

I bought it over a glock because of the grip safety.
I also bought my XD9 SC because of the grip safety. (Other than .22s, for many years the only semiauto pistols I owned were 1911s.) In many years of use and carry, it has never been an issue. I simply am not comfortable with a Glock as well as they do not feel good to me. My own admittedly uptight concern about safety.
I have even used it in competition as it shoots so well and you would have to be holding it extremely wierdly in order to not activate the grip safety.. My only complaint is that it does seem top heavy. But it shoots so nice....
Old 09-18-2020, 7:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Go loud or go home: G33!
Old 09-18-2020, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

There are polymer finger extension/baseplates available for the G26. But, FYI, you might have to sand/grind down the sharp edges on some of them to avoid pinch. Like others have said, single stack might be even better especially for the warmer climate (and lighter clothing) we have in CA. If the off-roster options are too expensive, there are the S&W Shield and Kahr CW9 or PM9s. Sig P365 is the greatest thing since sliced bread now. Examples without manual safety can be converted easily (provided you can find the parts in stock).

Last edited by fmunk; 09-18-2020 at 7:47 AM..
Old 09-18-2020, 7:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Had 7+1/8+1 Shield 9mm, but ditched it for the capacity of the 10+1 G26. Later went to 12+1 on the G26 with Magpul mags courtesy of Judge Benitez.
Appendix or 5 o'clock?

Last edited by fmunk; 09-18-2020 at 9:54 AM..
Old 09-18-2020, 9:27 AM

Where are you guys picking up all the off roster guns for ccw?

I've got G26, Shield 9mm and LCR 38 on my ccw but 90% of the time I carry the Shield 7+1 with the 8rd backup, AIWB because every 3-5 IWB holster pushes into my sciatic.
The Shield can deep conceal with the grip tucked into my belt.
Old 09-18-2020, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APeter001 View Post
Where are you guys picking up all the off roster guns for ccw?

I've got G26, Shield 9mm and LCR 38 on my ccw but 90% of the time I carry the Shield 7+1 with the 8rd backup, AIWB because every 3-5 IWB holster pushes into my sciatic.
The Shield can deep conceal with the grip tucked into my belt.
Some people have moved out of state. Some people have parents who are out-of-state residents. For the rest: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...play.php?f=332
Old 09-19-2020, 9:36 AM

Try a Sig p365. It still shoots like a gun, has 10+1 capacity without messing with the mags and is very reliable. If you go any smaller, it compromises the purpose.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Get the G26 you can put in the factory Glock G34 connector really helps with the trigger, the only internal mod I recommend, IMO any other internal mods makes it a range toy, not to be relied on for SD. Get the Pierce little pinky magazine extender, problem solved. I wouldn’t get the 9mm get the baby Glock in 40 cal then you can shoot 3 calibers 9 40 and 357. The baby Glock in 9mm doesn’t give that option.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Glock 26 hands down. It’s awesome with years of proven reliability.
Nope! Glock 27 .40cal. It’s a nail driver.

NRA Benefactor Life Member