Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 11:44 AM

Default Nevada CCW

Hello,

I have my non resident permits for Utah and Arizona. I am traveling to Nevada and I am planning on using my non resident permits for the first time. Can I carry any firearm I want while in Nevada? I googled around a bit and could not find a definitive answer.

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited by Timthetwin; 09-22-2019 at 11:54 AM..
Old 09-22-2019, 12:44 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthetwin View Post
Hello,

I have my non resident permits for Utah and Arizona. I am traveling to Nevada and I am planning on using my non resident permits for the first time. Can I carry any firearm I want while in Nevada? I googled around a bit and could not find a definitive answer.

Thanks,

Tim
NV honors both the AZ & UT CCW permit.

NV laws limits legal conceal carry to Title 1 Handguns.
^Can not legally conceal carry Title 1 Other, Title 1 Rifle, Title 1 Shotgun, and all Title 2 firearms.

Therefore, you can legally conceal carry any type of handgun in NV due to having a valid AZ/UT CCW permit.
^You can not legally conceal carry a rifle, shotgun, other, AOW, DD, MG, SBR, SBS, or silencer.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 09-22-2019 at 12:48 PM..
Old 09-22-2019, 1:59 PM

Ok thank you....G19 with "normal" mags 🙂👍
Old 09-24-2019, 5:52 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthetwin View Post
Ok thank you....G19 with "normal" mags ����
Note that it is legal for a non-exempt person that legally owns large capacity magazines to leave CA with those magazines, but illegal for that person to bring them back to CA.

The exemption that allowed non-exempt persons to take legally owned large capacity magazines out of CA & return to CA with them was repealed on 07-01-2017 and none of the Court actions have brought it back.

Which means, legally, you can leave CA with your large capacity magazines and only return with them, if they are permanently modified into 10 round magazines.
^Exemptions for LEOs and CA FFL dealers with large capacity magazine permits.

Summary:
1. It is legal for you to leave CA with large capacity magazines.
2. It is illegal to bring those large capacity magazines back to CA. [PC 32310(a)]
3. It is illegal to bring large capacity magazine parts kits to CA. [PC 32311(a)]
4. It is legal to bring permanently modified 10 round magazines to CA.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 09-24-2019 at 5:54 AM..
Old 09-24-2019, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Maybe you can rent a hi-cap, lol.

Or just take your tens and find a shop in NV that has Magpuls, they're only 13 bucks retail.

Or not worry about it because it would be nearly unprovable.
Old 09-24-2019, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Maybe you can rent a hi-cap, lol.

Or just take your tens and find a shop in NV that has Magpuls, they're only 13 bucks retail.

Haha decisions, decisions.
Old 09-24-2019, 9:35 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Note that it is legal for a non-exempt person that legally owns large capacity magazines to leave CA with those magazines, but illegal for that person to bring them back to CA.

The exemption that allowed non-exempt persons to take legally owned large capacity magazines out of CA & return to CA with them was repealed on 07-01-2017 and none of the Court actions have brought it back.

Which means, legally, you can leave CA with your large capacity magazines and only return with them, if they are permanently modified into 10 round magazines.

Summary:
2. It is illegal to bring those large capacity magazines back to CA. [PC 32310(a)]
3. It is illegal to bring large capacity magazine parts kits to CA. [PC 32311(a)]

^^^ Interesting Quiet, I hadn't really thought of that. I kind of (perhaps wrongly) assumed that our "freedom week" mags were GTG traveling back and forth. Something to keep in mind...

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:42 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
The only thing they have to prove is you are entering CA with them.

YMMV...
Over this summer, when flying into LAX from LAS, TSA had opened my case containing my handgun and LAXPD checked to see if the magazines in my case were not large capacity magazines.

Old 09-24-2019, 4:46 PM
Calguns Addict

That's insane. I guess hi-caps are more of a danger to California and LA than all the other crap going on there that they could be policing instead.

I never think of flying to places as close as NV, so in my mind he was just driving anyway. That's my own bias because I try to avoid flying as much as possible.
Old 09-25-2019, 3:31 AM

Thanks for that second response Quiet. I did not think about the transportation issues.
Old 09-30-2019, 8:40 AM

Quote:

Summary:
I read PC32310(a) and it seems to me that your conclusion is dependent upon how the phrase "imports into the state" is construed. That is, does one import into the state an item that is and was owned and possessed in the state and that has remained in his or her ownership and possession while temporarily absent from the state? While I could not find any authority either way, it seems to me that such an interpretation would violate the federal right to travel along with a violation of the taking provision of the federal constitution.
Old 09-30-2019, 6:46 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
I read PC32310(a) and it seems to me that your conclusion is dependent upon how the phrase "imports into the state" is construed. That is, does one import into the state an item that is and was owned and possessed in the state and that has remained in his or her ownership and possession while temporarily absent from the state? While I could not find any authority either way, it seems to me that such an interpretation would violate the federal right to travel along with a violation of the taking provision of the federal constitution.
The legislative intent for the repeal of the exemption [PC 32420] was to reduce the amount of lawfully owned/possessed large capacity magazines in CA.
It makes it so a person can legally leave CA with large capacity magazines, but can not legally return with those magazines.
The magazines have to be stored out-of-state or transferred out-of-state or made into permanently modified 10 round magazines prior to returning to CA.

Penal Code 32420 THIS WAS REPEALED EFFECTIVE 07-01-2017.
Section 32310 does not apply to the importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with the same large-capacity magazine.

Last edited by Quiet; 09-30-2019 at 6:48 PM..
Old 09-30-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Quiet is naturally spot on in regards to the law here and the legislative intent of our tyrannically overlords. However, this really smells ripe for an additional lawsuit IF need be and our current efforts regarding mag restrictions/bans fail.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
YMMV...
Over this summer, when flying into LAX from LAS, TSA had opened my case containing my handgun and LAXPD checked to see if the magazines in my case were not large capacity magazines.
Dang! I bet they have arrested unsuspecting people for this in the past. Sad really. Probably ruined their lives over something they didn’t even know about.