Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 01-02-2020, 1:33 PM

Default Tech Rear with Nodak Front?

I have a 10/22 build coming soon that will have a bull barrel and a railed receiver. Best I can tell only tech sights have an aperture rear made for a rail. I don't like the idea of thread locking the tech sight bull barrel adapter onto my new Kidd barrel though. The Nodak front just bands on so I would prefer that.

Has anyone ever used these two together? Do they play nice enough to get through an Appleseed? Are there other options for a bull barrel out there I should be looking at?
Old 01-03-2020, 12:07 PM

I tried to do the same thing:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1546093

The rear tech sight and Nodak front sight should work well, if you can mount the rear tech sight at the right height it was made for.
My problem was that I purchased a 10/22 receiver that had a milled picatinny rail, while the tech sight was made for a 3/8" rail.

I tried various rear sights for picatinny/weaver rails, but they all sat too high, or felt very cheap. I also tried a 3/8" rail adapter, but the sights sat too high for the Nodak front sight.

In the end I went with a 2-7 scope with adjustable focus and it went very well.
If I had to do it again I would get the drilled and tapped non-railed receiver and put the right rail on it, and that would make it flexible to put iron sights and anything else that attaches via the wider weaver/picatinny rails as well.
Old 01-06-2020, 9:35 AM

Thanks for the response. Theres not a lot of info on the subject and to be honest I was looking at well over $100 to get it done so I just went ahead and bought a scope for it. Its a 3-9 but has AO so I shouldn't have a problem focusing on the shorter range stuff.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:59 AM

As with a lot of my great ideas I thought of it too late, or rather after spending a bunch on a scope. My barrel is threaded for a muzzle brake. I could have purchased a second sacrificial brake and after threading it on locktited a tech sight front to it. Given the barrel tolerances it would probably work out okay being removed and placed back as desired. I guess that's something to aim for in the future.