Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > Guns & Money
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Guns & Money Discussion Re: Pro/Anti 2A Org's 990's & Finances

Old 11-03-2021, 10:59 AM

Default Selling all your guns? Sounds stupid right!

So I significantly down sized my gun collection and bought 3 houses in texas. We did the Dave Ramsey thing. Cleared all out debt in 4 years. All of it. I was never going to be able to but a house in sonoma County. So we sold all out assets. Including guns. I kept 5 . Now renters buy my guns for me. I have only bought a few. I need to stop. I want to retire in the next 7 years before 50. Food for thought. Any questions hit me up or better yet look up Dave Ramsey.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Nice. Good job

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 11-03-2021, 12:35 PM

Just want to help out
Old 11-05-2021, 7:05 AM

The OP should probably use more clarity in saying "renters buy my guns". I will assume that this means that renters pay you rent and you use any profits from that rent money to purchase a gun. I doubt that the statement meant that renters in Texas buy guns for you directly.
Old 11-05-2021, 7:51 AM

Good job realigning your assets into things that yield profit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voice typing will butcher whatever I was trying to say
Old 11-05-2021, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunuser17 View Post
The OP should probably use more clarity in saying "renters buy my guns". I will assume that this means that renters pay you rent and you use any profits from that rent money to purchase a gun. I doubt that the statement meant that renters in Texas buy guns for you directly.
We bought houses. So you are correct.
Old 11-05-2021, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy714 View Post
Good job realigning your assets into things that yield profit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks I didn't think it would be a good idea but I am letting a few more go to remodel one more!
Old 11-08-2021, 7:21 AM

Not that difficult......was it

No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna-be dictators, traitors, old fools, or kleptocratic thieves for President from any party.

The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21
Old 11-09-2021, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Real estate has always been good investments mostly. However, for CA, that's getting to be less and less so, especially income property. This state is too hostile to landlords. I got tired of dealing with tenants.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 11-09-2021, 5:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Not rich, still in debt, but I DID stay at an AirBNB in Texas last week, and for a few more weeks, minimum... while the wife sells the house...

BEFORE TX Config:

Post-Texas config:

Isn't THAT better?
I know I feel better...

I've been here just over a week, and just got around to this, as the A2 lower parts came in a couple days ago...

The pistol grips I kept from the Bullet-Button Rifles, as I KNEW I'd have use for them...

The bird-cage "FLASH SUPRESSOR" (AKA Compensator) MIGHT go on with a crush washer this week too?
I need to shoot-up, and post my shot-up Cali-plates for funziez!!!

OP, my friend left VA and moved to Maryland for the stupid gun laws they passed,
and had a squatter stay in her VA house she rented out after they stopped paying, due to "squatter-rights" or some such nonsense...

She had to pay the mortgage on both her house, and the squatter's house while they had to file paperwork to kick them out.

I hope you don't get hit with a scumbag renter, that stays beyond the lease/rental-agreement.

Last edited by the86d; 11-10-2021 at 1:57 AM..
Old 11-10-2021, 3:11 AM
Veteran Member

I did this a few years ago by selling my entire guitar and amp collection. Well, I kept a couple guitars (2 acoustics, 2 electrics) and got rid of everything else. It wasn't enough to go and buy three houses, but I am now debt free. No car payment, no credit card debt, no student loans. Now just paying cash for grad school and saving to buy a house once I leave this state. I will admit, I've bought a couple more firearms than I really need in the last year, but still no debt.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Isn't THAT better?
I know I feel better...

I've been here just over a week, and just got around to this, as the A2 lower parts came in a couple days ago...
What's wrong with the one on the bottom, it looks weird.

I guess I have been in CA too long.
Old 11-12-2021, 2:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
What's wrong with the one on the bottom, it looks weird.

I guess I have been in CA too long.
SORRY...
That is what Liberty looks like...

You forget, as you HAVE been in Cali too long (like I was, living in Kommiefornia my entire-life), and now that I am FREE, and living in a free-state, with laws NOT based on complete in utter-incompetent-ignorance of politicians, pushing the same, this is what is the best defensive firearm for ALL Americans.

This, in reflective-Silver, is going on my back windows this weekend...

Imagine breaking into a house, and seeing one of those pointed at you...
YOU JUST MADE THE WORST MISTAKE OF YOUR ENTIRE LIFE.. ... ...

Semper Erectus...
... ...ALWAYS HARD.

Last edited by the86d; 11-12-2021 at 2:30 AM..
Old 11-14-2021, 9:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunuser17 View Post
A big "DUH".

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 11-17-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
SORRY...
That is what Liberty looks like...

You forget, as you HAVE been in Cali too long (like I was, living in Kommiefornia my entire-life), and now that I am FREE, and living in a free-state, with laws NOT based on complete in utter-incompetent-ignorance of politicians, pushing the same, this is what is the best defensive firearm for ALL Americans.

This, in reflective-Silver, is going on my back windows this weekend...

Imagine breaking into a house, and seeing one of those pointed at you...
YOU JUST MADE THE WORST MISTAKE OF YOUR ENTIRE LIFE.. ... ...

Semper Erectus...
... ...ALWAYS HARD.
Stickers like that on cars or houses are a flag that says "valuable items inside", especially in a state where criminals are more likely to know what they signify.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

I did the same thing. Sell, sell, sell. Invest in real estate, don't buy new cars (waste of money, most people car payment can be another house out of state). Retirement at an early age is what I'm looking forward to. Unless life throws a wrench at me, I'm looking at being done at 47. Having an overpriced house, car, and a bunch of junk you never use is not worth working till 60,70, etc.
A lot of time and energy goes into thinking up ways to make perfectly good rifles into something dumb. Single shot ARs are gay. AR pistols are also gay. Just my opinion, of course, but a single shot AR pistol would be an AIDS cannon.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Not rich, still in debt, but I DID stay at an AirBNB in Texas last week, and for a few more weeks, minimum... while the wife sells the house...

BEFORE TX Config:

Post-Texas config:

Isn't THAT better?
I know I feel better...

The pistol grips I kept from the Bullet-Button Rifles, as I KNEW I'd have use for them...

The bird-cage "FLASH SUPRESSOR" (AKA Compensator) MIGHT go on with a crush washer this week too?
I need to shoot-up, and post my shot-up Cali-plates for funziez!!!

OP, my friend left VA and moved to Maryland for the stupid gun laws they passed,
and had a squatter stay in her VA house she rented out after they stopped paying, due to "squatter-rights" or some such nonsense...

She had to pay the mortgage on both her house, and the squatter's house while they had to file paperwork to kick them out.

I hope you don't get hit with a scumbag renter, that stays beyond the lease/rental-agreement.
I'm just south of you in whitney!
Old 11-23-2021, 9:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

We did Dave Ramsey before we even knew who Dave Ramsey was. About 25 years ago we got in a lot of debt. Partly was my company, work, life in general and partly us being stupid. One day….My wife and I sat down and we looked at everything we were spending. I kept every receipt of what we spent she wrote down every check that we sent out any atm withdraw? Basically we started looking at where our money is going. And yiu woidl be surprised where it was going. We tracked down every dollar we spent. Literally from the crap I was buying on my way to work to just stupid spending at the store.

We cut out any stupid spending.
Then we sold all the toys, jet skis, dirt bikes, quads, boat, extra cars, etc. i had a ton of guns I never even shot. I had 7 company trucks that were not even being used but sat in the yard. I fired a few people who were just dead weight too.

Then we looked at every thing else we were spending money on.
We went frugal. Only bought what we needed. No going out to dinner three times a week, no driving around, no going to the mall buying lame crap.
We refinanced our house from a 8.25 to a 4.25 loan. We still made the old payment. Paid off the house 12 years ahead of its due date. The bank was sending me notices that I paid so much I don’t need to make any payments for a year. They sent me notices to refinance the loan amount principal to my original pay off date because it would lower my payment…yeah but I’ll be paying more interest. In response ….I walked in and paid the last 14,000 I owed on the house.

F the banks. Saved what was my payment for 10 years….bought another house 5 years ago. Payment is low….this one I may not pay off at all. It’s less than renting a 1 bedroom apartment so I don’t really even consider it debt as it’s a very small amount against my total income.

I was planning on retiring in about 7 years. We’re gonna push that forward where we’re looking to move out fo state. I still want work but I don’t wanna work 50/60 hours a week. I wanna take care of my wife because her health is getting worse and I just want something part time. I will most likely go in for myself. I have 30 years of general construction and electrical knowledge and experience. I’m sure. Can get a job sweeping floors or changing light bulbs.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Did Dave Ramsey. Only have the house payment and a 2019 used car I just bought. We plan to retire in 3-5 years, so that car will be paid off by then and should last at least until 2035. The old 2003 wouldn't. We'll sell the house and get out of that payment and pay cash wherever we go for a new house.
Old 12-04-2021, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

We have only 1 car payment that is less than $300. House is free and clear. Gasoline, insurance and taxes are plenty to keep you broke in CA, though. If I could just get my wife to move.....but she won't leave her family, especially her 90+ Mom. The high desert was as far as she would go.
Old 12-04-2021, 5:46 PM

I'm on the same track hopefully in the next couple years. Purchased my house in 2000 for $420K, now it's worth 1mil+. No credit debt. Both our cars are were new in 2006 and still running strong. Recently refinanced for 2.5% and invested some cash we pulled out.
Old 12-15-2021, 2:52 PM

I don’t know who Dave Ramsey is but I paid mortgages off on two homes, had 0 debt, and a very large bank account by the age of 52 so I quit working. I wasn’t raised in CA so the debt financed life never made any sense to me.
Old 12-16-2021, 4:50 AM

Great stories!!!! I was raised in California. I'm 50 years behind the curve! I'm glade to see some people doing well! I hope others read these and can make some life choices. I hope to grab another property in the next month! My wife and I are showing our children that you don't need credit . They are 7 and 10 I hope they will be self made millionaires
Old 03-08-2022, 7:05 AM

I used to be "normal." Spent every penny I made, and from around 1999 on I made a lot of those. DirectTV . . . 200 channels for $147 a month or so. Meeting the wife at Starbucks every afternoon, 2 luxury drinks, pastry . . . $12 a day or about $360 per month. Dinners, vacations, toys, you name it.

Then I discovered the FIRE movement, particularly Mister Money Mustache. Listened to Dave Ramsey, but it was a bit too introductory to me. It changed my life. Started to write down every penny the wife and I spent, and am still doing it. DirecTV went, a $29.95 Roku box came. Making coffee at home, taking lunch and snack to work. Saved for a house and bought one for $555K early in 2017, now worth $850K. Put all the extra money in wife's 401K and Roth/Tradional IRAs. Went from zero to $300K in a few years. Had I not changed my life based on my perception of "normal," I'd still be renting and having nothing but "stuff" I don't need. Now I plan to retire early in 2028, sell the house, buy 'nutha one in North Carolina outright from the equity we have in our current home. And thanks to the retirement accounts that double every 7 to 8 years, we should become "millionaires" by the time I retire.

The most important step is realizing that normal is bad. People who have a car payment basically give up $1M over a lifetime. One thing I never did is buy new cars. I like nice cars, but I buy 'em used and take care of them. Works for me.
Old 03-08-2022, 8:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
BEFORE TX Config:

Post-Texas config:
Post Texas should have a selector switch that includes phew-phew-phew and a can.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:57 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
I used to be "normal." Spent every penny I made, and from around 1999 on I made a lot of those. DirectTV . . . 200 channels for $147 a month or so. Meeting the wife at Starbucks every afternoon, 2 luxury drinks, pastry . . . $12 a day or about $360 per month. Dinners, vacations, toys, you name it.

Then I discovered the FIRE movement, particularly Mister Money Mustache. Listened to Dave Ramsey, but it was a bit too introductory to me. It changed my life. Started to write down every penny the wife and I spent, and am still doing it. DirecTV went, a $29.95 Roku box came. Making coffee at home, taking lunch and snack to work. Saved for a house and bought one for $555K early in 2017, now worth $850K. Put all the extra money in wife's 401K and Roth/Tradional IRAs. Went from zero to $300K in a few years. Had I not changed my life based on my perception of "normal," I'd still be renting and having nothing but "stuff" I don't need. Now I plan to retire early in 2028, sell the house, buy 'nutha one in North Carolina outright from the equity we have in our current home. And thanks to the retirement accounts that double every 7 to 8 years, we should become "millionaires" by the time I retire.

The most important step is realizing that normal is bad. People who have a car payment basically give up $1M over a lifetime. One thing I never did is buy new cars. I like nice cars, but I buy 'em used and take care of them. Works for me.
Smart man, all good points IMO, I feel like for me my only problem is whenever I am browsing the forum marketplace or on GB or AL and I see a gun I want/like, I immediately pull the trigger on it with no hesitation and there goes 1k+ on ANOTHER firearm purchase
Old 03-18-2022, 10:43 PM
Calguns Addict

These Know-It-All yahoos give Dave R a ration of schlitz. Funny. They are broke and Dave R has made millions.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsefan View Post
We bought houses. So you are correct.
Property tax is pretty high in Texas?
Old 03-18-2022, 11:35 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.ramseysolutions.com/?utm...ev-c_ext-_prd-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 03-24-2022, 1:50 PM
Banned

i would probably sell all the guns save for a few needed for survival/hunting/self defense purposes and buy a bunker instead. serious gun collectors of the world can take care of those guns better than i can. and i have no use for all those guns anyway.
Old 03-28-2022, 6:01 PM

You made the right decision, well done
Old 03-29-2022, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

I also believe in Dave Ramsey methods. Its just common sense. Currently debt free.
Old 03-31-2022, 4:27 AM

I just bought my first weapon, so I have nothing to sell yet.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:38 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scott View Post
I also believe in Dave Ramsey methods. Its just common sense. Currently debt free.
Debt free is always the goal, I am currently on the opposite side of this lol but working towards getting completely free to purchase a home