Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2019, 3:21 PM
Veteran Member

The signs are out there but mean little. The GFSZ are the bigger issues.
Old 06-26-2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
An interesting observation now that I have a CA CCW is that I don't think I've seen any business here that is posted. When I traveled with a CCW in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and other states, I would see "No Gun" signs everywhere. I'm guessing since it's very uncommon here, that it's not on most people's radar.

So does this mean CA is a freer state in a way?
Those often are in regard to open carry, which we can't do at all here in CA.
Old 06-26-2019, 9:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Sheriff Gore does it again! Another 120 CCWs issued in the past month. Another record total: 2570 active CCWs! That's like a 6 to 7x increase in 2 years! Sure, it's not where we want it, but it sure looks like the numbers continue to head to where we want them. Plus, in the Co. CCW Info forum, someone posted that Gore is getting prepped to switch over to an online app process. That should speed things up even further and smooth out the process for both the SO and the applicants (esp since renewals will be coming up soon).

"Go, Team Gore!"

https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html
What a difference a month makes....

SDCSO now says they have 2750 active CCWs. That's 180 more in 4 weeks -- that's 9 CCWs per day, every day in a work week (i.e., M-F). Or, >6 CCWs per day everyday (Sun - Sat)! https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

But most importantly, 180 is 50% more CCWs per month than the number issued in the previous month (120). That's a HUGE rate of increase.

Bottom line: another record # per month and another record # total.

ETA: I had thought SD Co would pass 3,000 CCWers late November, around Thanksgiving, but am now thinking late July. If this keeps up and slightly speeds up, you may be passing 4,000 by Jan 1st!

Last edited by Paladin; 06-27-2019 at 10:28 PM..
Old 06-26-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadodave View Post
Those often are in regard to open carry, which we can't do at all here in CA.
Actually signs on businesses prohibiting guns (even licensed concealed carry) are a company or corporate policy and not law. If you have a handgun and a permit and are not in a prohibited area like a bar or secured airport location they only have the right to ask you to leave. And if you refuse you can be charged with trespassing once the cops arrive.

It is hard to believe that, especially in California, the signs mean next to nothing legally.
Old 06-27-2019, 2:57 PM

With this big increase in permits, I've been trying to spot people printing at the local Costco, haven't caught any of you yet!
Old 06-28-2019, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good luck guys, I got denied.
Old 06-28-2019, 1:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sorry to hear, SDCarpenter.

A few questions: (1) Did you attend a SDCGO CCW application class? If not, why not? (2) What exactly was the reason for the denial? If for insufficient GC, what was your GC like? (3) Do you plan on appealing your denial? If so, SDCGO may still be able to help you.

Last edited by Paladin; 06-28-2019 at 10:24 PM..
Old 06-28-2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
Good luck guys, I got denied.
Sorry to hear that, did you get the notification via letter or email?
Old 07-01-2019, 9:28 PM

Hi everyone,

As with any developing process, I’m sure most CGNers are striving to enhance the overall experience by sharing their successes AND failures. Whatever the outcome on my application I’ll share it on here. I know not everyone is comfortable with the same and that’s okay. Should a denial occur, please know that there is help. SDCGO made sure that in addition to establishing “reasonable” good causes that an appeals process was also put in place by the sheriff. If denied, Michael Schwartz is a vital asset going into the appeals process. Please don’t hesitate to contact him or his organization so that the appeal can be started as soon as possible. Or in the very least Michael and his people can track denials and the reason given by the sheriff’s office so that others may avoid the same path.

With that said I’m not sure how frequently denials are being issued. It would be great to see if anything changed. Michael has mentioned at the seminar I attended that the small percentage of denials were mostly issues that arose during the background check phase.
Old 07-03-2019, 3:24 PM

The card itself is such an awkward size, slightly bigger than a regular card and doesn't fit in my wallet. Looking for a designated leather holder on Amazon but am turning up empty.
Old 07-03-2019, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The card itself is such an awkward size, slightly bigger than a regular card and doesn't fit in my wallet. Looking for a designated leather holder on Amazon but am turning up empty.
You can have them fold it when they laminate it, this works enough
to get it into a normal wallet space. How well they get it to smoosh
depends on the clerk's expertise at it. I had to update my employer
and the second time wasn't so great.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 07-06-2019, 2:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1559 View Post
Actually signs on businesses prohibiting guns (even licensed concealed carry) are a company or corporate policy and not law. If you have a handgun and a permit and are not in a prohibited area like a bar or secured airport location they only have the right to ask you to leave. And if you refuse you can be charged with trespassing once the cops arrive.
In TX and AZ, signs worded correctly have the force of law... you can technically be arrested immediately with no need for any "warnings".

I'm hoping next legislative season, AZCDL makes it a priority to overturn that.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I had my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 07-06-2019, 2:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I just folded mine in half. It costs $10 to replace it... if it ever started to look like it was going to fall apart or become illegible, I'd have done that.

My AZ CCW is much better quality and actually card-sized. Of course, I also don't actually need it except for reciprocity and to skip the background check when I buy

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-13-2019, 3:32 PM

Initially I started this quest for a CCW back when I attended SDCGO meeting in mid Dec, 2018. After that meeting the very next day I made the call to get on the waiting list to start that 1st interview with Sheriff's Office. Back then it was going to be August, 2019. I received a call from the SO to come in late February, 2019. I declined that due to me not being ready. So back to August. A second call came asking if I could start the process in July again I declined but suggested near the end of June would work due to traveling out of state. On my 1st interview the SO helped me with my good cause statement making suggestions on a more concise view of whats going on with me specifically and what will work and what won't. Our 2nd interview was about creating the packet. Revised GC, documentation, utilities, DD-214, crime statistics, anything to else that can substantiate (support) ones contention that a permit is needed. Then LiveScan with fingerprinting $105.63 fee. Currently waiting for an approval letter to take the 8 hour training course.
Old 07-13-2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I just folded mine in half. It costs $10 to replace it... if it ever started to look like it was going to fall apart or become illegible, I'd have done that.

My AZ CCW is much better quality and actually card-sized. Of course, I also don't actually need it except for reciprocity and to skip the background check when I buy
I also have had an az permit for almost ten years now. What background check can we skip?
Old 07-13-2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
Guess I shouldn't have waited. Just made my initial appointment, it's for May 15th of 2020. She said that I should receive a call in a few months to move the appintment closer.
I received a call this morning to move my appointment closer, it's now for October 21st.
Old 07-14-2019, 2:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by riflehunter View Post
I also have had an az permit for almost ten years now. What background check can we skip?
NICS. Obviously, that only helps AZ residents... if you have a non-resident permit, you can't buy a gun here legally anyway. But if you are an AZ resident, just hand them your CCW along with your ID. Helps speed the process along a bit!

Old 07-15-2019, 7:23 AM

Received a call to move my appt. up to August. Nice!

Have my GC fairly well-written and have my packet pretty well prepared. Is there anyone on Calguns (lawyers, etc) offering gratis GC reviews? Is that what the SDCGO class offers?
Old 07-15-2019, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissiontoMars View Post
Received a call to move my appt. up to August. Nice!

Have my GC fairly well-written and have my packet pretty well prepared. Is there anyone on Calguns (lawyers, etc) offering gratis GC reviews? Is that what the SDCGO class offers?
The SDCGO seminars are a great guide on how to write your good cause, but if you want feedback on your GC I would email Michael Schwartz himself. The video on the website is pretty detailed but he’s they guy who met with the Sheriff in the beginning. He doesn’t charge but I would get the $10 a month membership to support the organization. He’s a busy guy as word has gotten out about SDCGO’s role in changing the Sheriff’s mind on CCW issuance. Check your PMs. Best of luck!

Rob
Old 07-15-2019, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissiontoMars View Post
Is there anyone on Calguns (lawyers, etc) offering gratis GC reviews? Is that what the SDCGO class offers?
Quote:
The SDCGO seminars are a great guide on how to write your good cause, but if you want feedback on your GC I would email Michael Schwartz himself. The video on the website is pretty detailed but he’s they guy who met with the Sheriff in the beginning. He doesn’t charge but I would get the $10 a month membership to support the organization. He’s a busy guy as word has gotten out about SDCGO’s role in changing the Sheriff’s mind on CCW issuance. Check your PMs. Best of luck!

Rob
^^^ This. Definitely join/talk to SDCGO.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
NICS. Obviously, that only helps AZ residents... if you have a non-resident permit, you can't buy a gun here legally anyway. But if you are an AZ resident, just hand them your CCW along with your ID. Helps speed the process along a bit!
Thanks, I was under the impression you were like me with a non resident permit
Old 07-18-2019, 2:08 PM

Has anyone taken the Initial CCW at North County Shooting Center located in San Marcos? If so what was the class like as well as the shooting distances and round count for the qualification?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2019, 1:56 PM

@ D16er, I personally haven't done any work at the North County Shooting Center yet. But with regards to the CCW process to get your certificate to then present to the county Sheriff's Office for your permit. The SDSO has the details of the shooting test including the number of rounds, the distances involved and which hand positions will be required e.g. two handed, dominate L or R hand, weak hand L or R and the number of rounds for each. Just go the Sheriff's website you'll have better info from the issuing authority. They are telling all CCW instructors in this county how to satisfy the requirements for issuing the certificate.
Old 07-20-2019, 4:34 PM

I’ve read those requirements on their site but have read that Discount Gun Mart’s course of fire is a lot different with shooting at 7, 6, 5, 4 and 3 yards. Where the sheriffs only requires 7, 5 and 3 yards. They also require the student to hip fire which is not noted on the Sheriffs site. I have been calling Instructors in my area and for the most part all of them are following the Sheriffs requirement.

Thank you for the response.
Old 07-20-2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16er View Post
I’ve read those requirements on their site but have read that Discount Gun Mart’s course of fire is a lot different with shooting at 7, 6, 5, 4 and 3 yards. Where the sheriffs only requires 7, 5 and 3 yards. They also require the student to hip fire which is not noted on the Sheriffs site. I have been calling Instructors in my area and for the most part all of them are following the Sheriffs requirement.

So if I understand correctly, since I too noticed that the course of fire varies with each instructor, the sheriff department’s criteria for what satisfies qualification for the California CCW is a MINIMAL requirement.

If this is the case can an instructor fail a student even if their course of fire goes above and beyond the one prescribed by the Sheriff? I don’t understand why an instructor would do this, other than justifying the price of the class (i.e. “when you take your CCW class with us WE teach you to hip-fire blah blah blah....”

Rob

Last edited by Rob1559; 07-20-2019 at 6:49 PM..
Old 07-20-2019, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

From the hip wasn't a qualifier, I was told this when I asked, you could botch that I suppose but still get signed off. I think they genuinely want people prepared for that kind of close scenario.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 07-20-2019, 9:18 PM

This is the course of fire directly out of the Sheriffs website:

100 rounds will be required for the eight (8) hour course however out of the 100 rounds, the qualification rounds and practice rounds are included. (70 rounds class practice, 15 rounds practice qualification, 15 rounds qualification=100 rounds)

50 rounds for the four (4) hour class, 20 rounds class practice, 15 rounds practice qualification and 15 rounds qualification =50 rounds)

Each additional firearm would require a minimum of 30 rounds, 15 rounds practice qualification and 15 rounds qualification.

Both the new applicant and the renewal applicant course of training shall include live-fire shooting exercises on a firing range and shall include a demonstration by the applicant of safe handling of, and shooting proficiency with, each firearm that the applicant is applying to be licensed to carry. The course of fire qualification requirements are as follows:

From the 7 yard line 5 Rounds Two-hand grip

5 yard line 5 Rounds Two-hand grip

3 Yard line 3 Rounds One-hand (Strong ONLY)

3 Yard line 2 Rounds One-hand (Weak ONLY)

In order to pass the qualification course of fire, applicants must have 11 of the 15 Rounds fired either hit on the line of or inside of the target. If applicant cannot demonstrate proficiency, then the license cannot be granted.
Old 07-20-2019, 9:38 PM

I called this week and got an appointment almost 1 year to the day out. Now to see if they can bump up the date.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16er View Post

FYI...I took Discount's course back in late Nov/early Dec. The distances we shot were 7, 5, and 3 yards. We didn't do 6 and 4 at that time. We did hip fire at 3 yards. As others have noted, hip firing isn't a state requirement. Not sure what they would do if you failed that part.

If you've never hip fired/point shoot, give it a try. Point shooting is a good skill to possess. I'll also add that the shooting part of the course was very enlightening. There was more than one person in the class who had never fired a gun before (a couple of the guys going for their guard cards). And there were several people who were struggling and having to repeat various strings of fire because they weren't making the needed score.

Fighter Pilot
Old 07-25-2019, 4:13 PM

https://www.10news.com/news/team-10/...eapon-licenses

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2019, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNOS67 View Post

Spike! Well that must be bad right?

Did not see my good cause listed.
EDIT: Good causes only from this year.

Last edited by CessnaDriver; 07-25-2019 at 10:54 PM..
Old 07-25-2019, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

That article isn't biased at all.

2806 active permits in a county of about 3.5 MILLION. That isn't even remotely close to 1% of the population. The sheriff's in this down have been subjugating peoples rights for DECADES! And yet, not a single mention of any of this in ridiculous article. Great "investigative" reporting Channel 10. Idiots.

Fighter Pilot
Old 07-25-2019, 9:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
That article isn't biased at all.

2806 active permits in a county of about 3.5 MILLION. That isn't even remotely close to 1% of the population. The sheriff's in this down have been subjugating peoples rights for DECADES! And yet, not a single mention of any of this in ridiculous article. Great "investigative" reporting Channel 10. Idiots.

Don't you love how the last word and judgment is from an anti gun advocacy group?

I mean that there is investigative reporting! LOL

I"m certain KGTV will be hearing from SDCGO quite soon to counter
that BS. Though I doubt they will give equal time.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Acc to SDCSO website, Gore's now issued active 2,849 CCWs!

While that's a slowdown to only 99 in the past month, he's on track to break 3,000 by the end of Sept, at latest.

https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html
Old 07-25-2019, 10:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Don't you love how the last word and judgment is from an anti gun advocacy group?

that BS.
Though I doubt they will give equal time.
Yeah, Michael can cite John Lott's studies just like that anti cited that biased Stanford study.

Quote:
Marcus said while it may be comforting to assume that if one is concealing a gun and was caught in a situation with a "bad guy with a gun" in public, that they'd have a way to defend themselves, the reality is that is rarely occurs, and, when it does, the "good guy" is likely [1] to miss, [2] hit the wrong person, or [3] be mistaken by the "bad guy" when law enforcement arrives.

"There isn't any evidence that I could find that is the opposite that says we're safer on the streets because of concealed carry," he said.
In the link in my sig line to >230 CCW incidents, IIRC, in not a single instance did any of those 3 mentioned above occur. Also, FWIW, there weren't any cases of over penetration where the bullet/s went thru the BG/s and hit anyone else.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah, Michael can cite John Lott's studies just like that anti cited that biased Stanford study.

In the link in my sig line to >230 CCW incidents, IIRC, in not a single instance did any of those 3 mentioned above occur. Also, FWIW, there weren't any cases of over penetration where the bullet/s went thru the BG/s and hit anyone else.
Yep, they claim fear tactics are used to encourage carry of firearms and then go on a big fear tactic BS narrative of their own.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Excellent find! Thank you. Over the next month or so we'll review the GC statements and decide if SD Co should be dark green or remain at light green.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Excellent find! Thank you. Over the next month or so we'll review the GC statements and decide if SD Co should be dark green or remain at light green.

Honestly, it still feels far from shall issue here. The sheriff does force a lot of legwork to back up good cause. I would say that until self defense is a valid and accepted good cause by itself, San Diego cannot truly be dark green. My two cents.

Rob
Old 07-26-2019, 8:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Honestly, it still feels far from shall issue here. The sheriff does force a lot of legwork to back up good cause. I would say that until self defense is a valid and accepted good cause by itself, San Diego cannot truly be dark green. My two cents.

Rob
If you go to that linked article (https://www.10news.com/news/team-10/...eapon-licenses) and watch the video at the top to ~3:18 in, you'll hear the reporter say there's a GC by a father seeking a CCW "solely for personal protection and protection of my children." Presumably these are all GCs that passed. If so, that last one sure sounds like SD/PP = GC

If you'd like to help by going through those 100 GC statements to track that one down (and any others that sound like SD/PP = GC w/o any reasons why they're at higher than average risk of attack, the link is embedded in the last image in that article), we'd be much obliged!

Last edited by Paladin; 07-26-2019 at 9:22 AM..
Old 07-26-2019, 8:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post

that BS. Though I doubt they will give equal time.
Well, that didn't take long! From this morning's news, in VA a CCWer shot two BGs holding up a 7-11 early this morning, killing one of them and injuring the other. He hit both of his targets. He didn't hit anyone else and the police did not mistake him for a BG and shoot him.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lling-one.html