Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2020, 9:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Positive Turner's experience

I know Turner's gets a lot of bashing. The knowledge and skill at the job of the employees varies widely but.......
I was in the El Cajon recently. Of course I had to wait, because a couple of guys had to fondle several different firearms. The Turner's guys were very nice and patient. When it was my turn, everything was handled in a reasonable time, and I was out the door. No complaints. I know why they double check everything, it's company policy and procedure, one of those things that happens in a chain.
This local store also supports the Friends of the NRA events too.
IMHO a lot of the problems are caused by customers that make life difficult for everyone. I wish there was a way to have a couple of lines: one for people ready to buy, and another for the players.
YMMV......

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Turner's is great if you don't value your time and don't mind wasting a couple hours of it. Almost every other gun store is better at respecting their customer's time.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:33 AM

I was at the Torrance store yesterday and there were only 2 other customers inside. There were 4 employees, and one of them helped me find everything I was looking for. And they had the exact Butler Creek lens covers I needed right there on the rack. Yay!

Didn't fondle or buy a firearm, but it was a positive Turners experience.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:25 AM

I have purchased my last seven handguns at the Turner's in Norwalk and I have two on layaway because I wanted to take advantage of sale prices. No matter what time I go in it is crowded and I have a long wait but I see that happening for two reasons. First off all, this is just a busy store that sells a lot of guns. There are not a lot of window shoppers or gun fondlers. The majority of people I see are either buying guns or picking up guns and that is the second reason for the long wait. The amount of paperwork involved is totally out of control. When I picked up my last gun I told the girl behind the counter that I didn't have to sign my name this many times when I bought my house. This is not their fault, it's California's fault. Under the circumstances they do the best they can and I will continue to go there.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
I have purchased my last seven handguns at the Turner's in Norwalk and I have two on layaway because I wanted to take advantage of sale prices. No matter what time I go in it is crowded and I have a long wait but I see that happening for two reasons. First off all, this is just a busy store that sells a lot of guns. There are not a lot of window shoppers or gun fondlers. The majority of people I see are either buying guns or picking up guns and that is the second reason for the long wait. The amount of paperwork involved is totally out of control. When I picked up my last gun I told the girl behind the counter that I didn't have to sign my name this many times when I bought my house. This is not their fault, it's California's fault. Under the circumstances they do the best they can and I will continue to go there.
I disagree to some extent. I understand Turner's need to CYA, reduce liability and try to stay compliant in this state. But I do not have so much paper work or wait when I purchase at my LGS.

Turner's does have us sign additional paperwork and makes the process lengthy by (CYA) the verification process they have for both purchase and pickup. My last purchase took an insane amount of time for the DROS and pickup.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:33 PM

I guess I have been really lucky at least few dozen times/transactions.
I shop at the Pasadena store, because they are opened 7 days a week and close 8pm on weekdays.
This allows me to go in after work during the week.
Yes, I have been in this store on weekends when there's a lot of people and had to wait, but on weekdays after 7pm, I never waited more than 10-20min.
I can't speak for other locations as Pasadena is the only store I have been to.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:34 PM

I frequent the Pasadena store, I have seen it packed after work during the weekdays. But yes, the weekends make the place a zoo.
Old 01-23-2020, 1:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have never been disappointed at turners. Just have to use some sense on when to use their services. Never on a big sale weekend for PPT dros.
Old 01-23-2020, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
I disagree to some extent. I understand Turner's need to CYA, reduce liability and try to stay compliant in this state. But I do not have so much paper work or wait when I purchase at my LGS.

Turner's does have us sign additional paperwork and makes the process lengthy by (CYA) the verification process they have for both purchase and pickup. My last purchase took an insane amount of time for the DROS and pickup.
When I DROS or pickup a gun I don't know what paperwork is required by the state and what paperwork is required by Turner's. In today's anti-gun climate in California I guess I can't fault them for protecting themselves.
I go there because they are by far the closest gun shop to me and they regularly have very decent sale prices.
It is a busy store and I usually have to wait but I'm retired and I have a lot of spare time. If I have to wait then a gun shop is not a bad place to hang around in.
Old 01-23-2020, 1:15 PM

I agree with both of you, vino68 and edgerly779.
I'm going to make a effort to go in the morning when they open up. That should make things a lot easier.
Old 01-23-2020, 1:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Also they give away last weeks western outdoor news so pick one up and read it to kill time. Better than sitting with anti cop twits in Starbucks.(LOL)
Old 01-23-2020, 1:30 PM

It's a pain to get primers there too.
Old 01-23-2020, 1:35 PM

I've never had an issue at Turner's. In fact, the only bad experience I personally know about was my sister, who bought a gun and then had the clerk call her that evening and ask her on a date. The only way he could have gotten her phone number was off her customer info. Let's just say the manager was NOT happy when I told him, and that particular clerk hasn't been employed there since.

Other than that, always had great experiences, whether buying new or PPT.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 01-23-2020, 2:03 PM

I also want to mention that "ThatOneTurnersGuy" has helped me a lot.
Really went out of his way to find things for me, and always had answers for me.
Old 01-23-2020, 2:10 PM

Same here, I have bought quite a few guns at San Bernardino Turners. Staff and manager are all helpful. Yes, the wait is long on the weekends but during the week not so much. My last pickup was 25mins in and out with all the paperwork and also getting some ammo.
Old 01-23-2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR514 View Post
I also want to mention that "ThatOneTurnersGuy" has helped me a lot.
Really went out of his way to find things for me, and always had answers for me.
Same here. Chris is a good guy. He tries to make things right.