Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-26-2020, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Default Model 94 Win in .32 WSPl

My great-grandfather was the original owner of a Model 94 in .32 WinSpl. It was manufactured in 1906 - the round barrel is stamped "made for smokeless powder". Serial #is 34XXXX

My Dad found it in my Grandmothers garage rafters in the early 60's - the roof had leaked - and the gun was pitted with rust.

My Dad restored the stock nicely and took it to a gunshop in Oakland circa 1971 or so. We had spent HOURS with steel wool, rubbing out the pits (and the original blueing). The guy behind the counter said "you know they would have buffed that all out as part of re-blueing the gun - right?". I realize that killed any collector value - though a pitted, rusty gun probably lost a lot of value anyway.

I doubt the rifle has 100 rounds through it - the action is smooth. I got to shoot it about 25 years ago and you could hit an egg from 50 yards offhand every time. Anyway, it would be nice to have a ballpark idea what its worth for insurance purposes.

Any ideas?
Old 11-27-2020, 10:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Check GB for prices. If you could post some pictures I'm sure the price could be narrowed down a bit.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Lever-Acti...2%20Win.%20Spl.

MLC, First 3
Old 11-28-2020, 7:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Check GB for prices. If you could post some pictures I'm sure the price could be narrowed down a bit.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Lever-Acti...2%20Win.%20Spl.

This. Also search completed auctions for actual selling prices. Most asking prices on current listings dont mean much.
Old 11-28-2020, 8:55 PM

I have a 1906 Saddle Ring in 32 winspl...Great guns built to last..
Old 11-29-2020, 12:37 PM

You might want to check with Bert on the Winchester Collectors Forum.
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/
He is a wealth of information.

Best regards,
870classic.
Old 11-30-2020, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

TY to all of you!!
Old 12-26-2020, 5:17 PM

Is it a carbine or a rifle? If a rifle the round barrel is far less common than an octagon barrel. Does it have a saddle ring on the left side. All the work done to remove rust diminishes collector value completely. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t a great shooter. If you can’t post pictures PM me and I can look at it via Email. My .32 Spl is a carbine from 1947. Earlier carbines from the era of yours are much more interesting as to features on it.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

So - we don't have pictures, and we don't know if it is a rifle or a carbine. Here's a few things to consider when trying to assign value to a 1894 Winchester:

1) 1894's came in 5 calibers: 38-55, 32-40, .32WS, 25-35, and 30-30. Of all of those calibers, .32WS is the least popular one, followed by 30-30.

2) Condition over everything else. Something as small as buggered up screw heads can shave hundreds of dollars off the value. Refinished wood? Scrubbed with steel wool and corrosion/pitting? That all translates to $0.00 collectable value.

3) Rifle vs carbine. Carbines generally bring a lower price than rifles.

4) Barrel type. Collectors generally prefer the hexagon barrels on rifles. Also - bore condition is important.

It would be very difficult to assign a value to it without seeing some detailed pics, but from the meager description it is definitely a low condition "shooter" grade and not worth much, except for parts value. Throwing a dart, I'd say about $400.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 12-27-2020, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
So - we don't have pictures, and we don't know if it is a rifle or a carbine. Here's a few things to consider when trying to assign value to a 1894 Winchester:

1) 1894's came in 5 calibers: 38-55, 32-40, .32WS, 25-35, and 30-30. Of all of those calibers, .32WS is the least popular one, followed by 30-30.

2) Condition over everything else. Something as small as buggered up screw heads can shave hundreds of dollars off the value. Refinished wood? Scrubbed with steel wool and corrosion/pitting? That all translates to $0.00 collectable value.

3) Rifle vs carbine. Carbines generally bring a lower price than rifles.

4) Barrel type. Collectors generally prefer the hexagon barrels on rifles. Also - bore condition is important.

It would be very difficult to assign a value to it without seeing some detailed pics, but from the meager description it is definitely a low condition "shooter" grade and not worth much, except for parts value. Throwing a dart, I'd say about $400.

ANY Winchester, be it rifle, carbine, shotgun, pistol, whatever, with a hexagon barrel would be the absolute rarest of them all.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870classic View Post
You might want to check with Bert on the Winchester Collectors Forum.
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/
He is a wealth of information.

Best regards,
870classic.
I know what Bert will say on a refinished gun, "Parts".
Your 94 was made early in 1907. It's a family heirloom, so the value is priceless, to you. For Insurance purposes, I would think about the replacement cost of a Model 1894 made in 1907, in like condition. With no family history, a "shooter" pre 64 refinished is in the $250-$350 range. Untouched original depending on condition, options etc, can run $700 to $2500.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
I know what Bert will say on a refinished gun, "Parts".
Your 94 was made early in 1907. It's a family heirloom, so the value is priceless, to you. For Insurance purposes, I would think about the replacement cost of a Model 1894 made in 1907, in like condition. With no family history, a "shooter" pre 64 refinished is in the $250-$350 range. Untouched original depending on condition, options etc, can run $700 to $2500.
And here I was, thinking I was valuing it conservatively.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 12-29-2020, 12:19 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
And here I was, thinking I was valuing it conservatively.
Two things I know, that you know, one is all the variables. The other is Bert putting a value on a "messed with" Winchester.