Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default [Deal Over] Augason Farms Emergency Food Supply Pail

Edit: Seems the price for the 30day went back on sale.

ANNNNNDDDDDD it's gone.

Not the best of emergency food, but the price is decent and it's shipped straight to your door. Reviews say the food taste decent.

Augason Farms 2-Week 1-Person Emergency Food Supply Kit $35.13: https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms.../dp/B06Y2H9DR3

Augason Farms 5-20091 Deluxe Emergency 30-Day Food Supply, 1 Person $53.80 $52.04: https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms.../dp/B071KPGLBK

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 07-13-2019 at 5:50 PM..
Old 07-05-2019, 11:22 AM

Do the math. 1250 calories is not enough per day. Its crap for food and there are many better and cheaper ways to do it.
Old 07-05-2019, 4:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I bought the 2wk 1 person (1,828 Calories Per Day). I plan to use it as a 1wk 2 person kit. $35 bucks in a nice container shipped to my front door apartment while I drink some Michelob Ultra's is fine by me.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The 2wk went back up to normal price of $49.

The 30 day is still a good price. It usually averages $80.

Quote:
FREE delivery: Aug 5 - 28 Details
Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.
Guess folks are jumping on this after the quakes.
Old 07-08-2019, 6:26 AM

One of those food kits and 100lbs of pinto beans or rice is a good place to start
Old 07-08-2019, 6:45 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I have a couple of these... never tasted them. How are they compared to MH meals?

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 07-15-2019, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylogger6 View Post
One of those food kits and 100lbs of pinto beans or rice is a good place to start
That's the route I took when first starting. 30 day pails 1850 cal a day for 30 days but include recipe card for 1200 cal for 45 days. I figured use that + rice and beans to stretch it to a comfortable 45 days. So for maybe 120 bucks I have an easy month and a half food (Costco size beans and rice). IMO probably the easiest way to get started then just add variety and months from there when you can.

These are not the same Augustine buckets I have W 1850 cal a day. They go on sale for $89 every Christmas at Sportsmans Wearhouse.
Old 07-15-2019, 8:44 AM

Not meaning to take this thread in the wrong direction....what is the consensus on cans of Progesso soup for emergency shortage food ? I have all kinds of it stashed in the office closet with veggies etc. Thanks for your replies.

Psalm 1
Old 07-16-2019, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Not meaning to take this thread in the wrong direction....what is the consensus on cans of Progesso soup for emergency shortage food ? I have all kinds of it stashed in the office closet with veggies etc. Thanks for your replies.
Not a lot of calories, lots of sodium, but keeps well under good conditions -- googling says 3-6 years(?). Only for snacking. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-16-2019, 8:18 AM

Quote:

Psalm 1
I think their fine but not store and forget. You gota rotate them where the food pails, beans and rice are more of stash away and forget. 30 year shelf life vs a couple year shelf life. Also my food pail has the equivalent calories of 213 cans of the Campblles sirlion burger soup I'm looking at, probably 300+ cans of chicken noodle or something(I don't have a can to look at). So way less storage space to use a pail not to mention 300+ cans of soup won't be cheap and you probably don't eat enough of them to rotate that many.

I guess I think canned soups are fine for normal everyday emergency as long as you rotate them (earthquake, flood, etc). But they take up too much space and too limited shelf life for bulk storage. I just look at it as the cans I normally buy are just another item available if needed. Not a real prep.

Last edited by Norcalkid; 07-16-2019 at 8:23 AM..
Old 07-16-2019, 8:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalkid View Post
I think their fine but not store and forget. You gota rotate them where the food pails, beans and rice are more of stash away and forget. 30 year shelf life vs a couple year shelf life. Also my food pail has the equivalent calories of 213 cans of the Campblles sirlion burger soup I'm looking at, probably 300+ cans of chicken noodle or something(I don't have a can to look at). So way less storage space to use a pail not to mention 300+ cans of soup won't be cheap and you probably don't eat enough of them to rotate that many.

I guess I think canned soups are fine for normal everyday emergency as long as you rotate them (earthquake, flood, etc). But they take up too much space and too limited shelf life for bulk storage. I just look at it as the cans I normally buy are just another item available if needed. Not a real prep.
Also, portability. Not very easy to bug out with ~30days worth of soup.

The bucket can also double to either hold water or turn into a porta-potty.
Old 07-16-2019, 2:29 PM

Thanks for the replies. My stash is mostly for local issues, and they are looking closer these days with the fresh rounds of shakers mid state. Also one of the daughter's told us of a small 4 plus shaker just today near Brentwood. I have a stash of MRE items in a bug out pack in my office closet with a full case in the garage.

Psalm 1
Old 07-16-2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:

Psalm 1
The answer is: it depends. As mentioned before, not the best nutritional value & high in sodium - so if you have high blood pressure then no. The main question is: do you drink canned soup on a fairly regular basis now? If you are, then you might as well buy it in a case (or two). As far as regular use food that you can rotate as you eat it, it has a pretty good storage life and most people will eat it.

My wife loves the Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup for comfort food. So I bought a case, and every time she got about 1/4 through the case, I'd buy another case, so now I have enough to last her about 2 years at her current usage with varying expiration dates. She also likes Mac & Cheese (we prefer "Cracker Barrel" brand over Kraft) so I did the same with that, I have enough to last 2 years at our current usage. I really like Bear Creek Minestrone, Chicken Orchette Pasta, Hot & Sour Soup, and a couple others, so when they go on sale at Big Lots I buy 10 - 20 of each. There's several other examples, your taste may vary.

It's not really survival food, or prepper food, it's just stuff I'm going to eat anyway and has a long (over a year) storage life - so I buy in bulk. If nothing ever happens; I always have what I like on hand, I get a deal by buying in bulk, and I avoid the rising cost of food. If anything does happen I have several months of rotating use pantry food before I even get in to my long term storage food. So it's Win-Win.

Please don't reply to tell me it's crap food . . . I know that, but it's what I'm eating now. I also have the standard rice & beans, and home pressure canned foods, home dehydrated foods, etc. I have fruit trees and a big garden (by suburban standards) and I put away lots of healthy food as well as this.
Old 07-16-2019, 5:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
The answer is: it depends. As mentioned before, not the best nutritional value & high in sodium - so if you have high blood pressure then no. The main question is: do you drink canned soup on a fairly regular basis now? If you are, then you might as well buy it in a case (or two). As far as regular use food that you can rotate as you eat it, it has a pretty good storage life and most people will eat it.

My wife loves the Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup for comfort food. So I bought a case, and every time she got about 1/4 through the case, I'd buy another case, so now I have enough to last her about 2 years at her current usage with varying expiration dates. She also likes Mac & Cheese (we prefer "Cracker Barrel" brand over Kraft) so I did the same with that, I have enough to last 2 years at our current usage. I really like Bear Creek Minestrone, Chicken Orchette Pasta, Hot & Sour Soup, and a couple others, so when they go on sale at Big Lots I buy 10 - 20 of each. There's several other examples, your taste may vary.

It's not really survival food, or prepper food, it's just stuff I'm going to eat anyway and has a long (over a year) storage life - so I buy in bulk. If nothing ever happens; I always have what I like on hand, I get a deal by buying in bulk, and I avoid the rising cost of food. If anything does happen I have several months of rotating use pantry food before I even get in to my long term storage food. So it's Win-Win.

Please don't reply to tell me it's crap food . . . I know that, but it's what I'm eating now. I also have the standard rice & beans, and home pressure canned foods, home dehydrated foods, etc. I have fruit trees and a big garden (by suburban standards) and I put away lots of healthy food as well as this.
Warm bowl of mac n' cheese in a crisis scenario. Great comfort food and would bring some normalcy back to a difficult situation.