Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 08-19-2019, 1:21 PM

Default Mossberg Mav 88 vs 500 vs 590 weight?

I'm in the market for a lightweight pump. I was at the OC Show the other day and had a chance to handle a Maverick 88 with the ATI side folding stock. I was impressed with how light it was, probably would have bought it but want something that is drilled and tapped.

My understanding is that the Maverick 88 uses an alloy receiver and is the low cost model so I was expecting it to be the lightest one, but after researching on Mossberg's site Im still confused. It seems like the opposite, when I compare 3 similar variants tge 590 is the lightest followed by the 500 followed by the 88:

Mav 88 - 31023 - $231 - 5+1 - 7lb
500 Tac - 50411 - $500 - 5+1 - 6.75lb
590 - 50778 - $469 - 6+1 - 6.3lb

All 12ga w 18.5" barrels. Seems like the 590 is the clear winner here, $30 less, one more round and only 6.3lb. What am I missing here?

Comparing the cruiser models it looks like the Maverick 88 and the 500 are the same weights. Is that true? I was under the impression the Maverick 88 would be a little lighter.
Old 08-19-2019, 2:02 PM

I have a 88, Mossberg 500 and the Mossberg 500 scorpion-ATI. Loaded with Critical Defense 12g, the 88 is still lighter. Mine does not have the ATI folding stock.
Old 08-19-2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
I have a 88, Mossberg 500 and the Mossberg 500 scorpion-ATI. Loaded with Critical Defense 12g, the 88 is still lighter. Mine does not have the ATI folding stock.
Don’t mean to thread hijack, but what stock are you running? Thinking of getting the magpul for my 500 Scorpion
Old 08-19-2019, 2:43 PM

The stock which came with each shotgun. The 88 has the original black polymer stock as does the 500A. The ATI has the collapsible ATI stock
Old 08-19-2019, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

The Maverick 88 is the cheapo model. Don't expect to be able to upgrade it with add-ons. If you don't mind that, it is a good shotgun.

I think the 590 has a heavier barrel, so it should be heavier.

All of them should have an alloy (Aluminum) receiver.

Quote:

Mav 88 - 31023 - $231 - 5+1 - 7lb
500 Tac - 50411 - $500 - 5+1 - 6.75lb
590 - 50778 - $469 - 6+1 - 6.3lb

All 12ga w 18.5" barrels. Seems like the 590 is the clear winner here, $30 less, one more round and only 6.3lb. What am I missing here?
The Mav 88 #31023 is identical to the #31022 except for the color of the plastic (Black vs FDE). I doubt that black plastic weighs more than FDE plastic. The FDE #31022 is listed as weighing 6.25 pounds, so the #31023 should also be 6.25 pounds

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 08-19-2019, 2:53 PM

And the 88 can be found on sale at Big 5 for $200-ish or just below that price point.
Old 08-19-2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
The Maverick 88 is the cheapo model. Don't expect to be able to upgrade it with add-ons. If you don't mind that, it is a good shotgun.

I think the 590 has a heavier barrel, so it should be heavier.

All of them should have an alloy (Aluminum) receiver.

The Mav 88 #31023 is identical to the #31022 except for the color of the plastic (Black vs FDE). I doubt that black plastic weighs more than FDE plastic. The FDE #31022 is listed as weighing 6.25 pounds, so the #31023 should also be 6.25 pounds

Yes, it is the cheapo model and great as a first shotgun to learn on it.
Some 3rd party parts and add-ons will fit the 88, it really depends on the part you are considering changing. The side saddle I bought was for the 500, as were the sling mounts. My understanding is the 88's stock and trigger group are incompatible with others. As those components are unique to the 88 platform.
Old 08-19-2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
Good find, this confirms my suspicion that Mossberg's website product specs aren't very reliable/accurate at least when it comes to the weight. Unless black plastic weighs more

I know the 590A1 has the heavier barrel, but the regular 590 should be same as the 500.

If they all have Alloy (Aluminum) reciever in theory the 500 and Maverick 88 should just about the same weight, I think. 590 has a metal trigger guard where the others have polymer so that will add a small amount. Is there something else I'm missing?

I'd prefer a 500 or 590 because I like the upgradability. But if the Maverick is significantly lighter that could change my mind. It sure felt significantly lighter (probably a lot of that was the lighter ATI stock though) however Mossberg's website specs tell the opposite story. I guess Ill send them an email and see if I can get better numbers
Old 08-19-2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHamn View Post
Good find, this confirms my suspicion that Mossberg's website product specs aren't very reliable/accurate at least when it comes to the weight. Unless black plastic weighs more

I know the 590A1 has the heavier barrel, but the regular 590 should be same as the 500.

If they all have Alloy (Aluminum) reciever in theory the 500 and Maverick 88 should just about the same weight, I think. 590 has a metal trigger guard where the others have polymer so that will add a small amount. Is there something else I'm missing?

I'd prefer a 500 or 590 because I like the upgradability. But if the Maverick is significantly lighter that could change my mind. It sure felt significantly lighter (probably a lot of that was the lighter ATI stock though) however Mossberg's website specs tell the opposite story. I guess Ill send them an email and see if I can get better numbers
If I recall correctly, the trigger group of the 88 is all polymer. Not just the guard. For me, the 88 is lighter. Sorry, I wish I had a way to measure the weight of them.
Old 08-19-2019, 4:55 PM

The 88 has the pinned forend. So if you want to change it, you’ll need a 500 slide tube. The tube is pretty expensive by itself, making the 500 a better buy if you plan on switching forends. The 88 is a great bargain if you plan on leaving it stock.

The 590A1 is the heavy one. It’s got the heavy 20” barrel and is 9 shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 7:54 AM

I have a 590A1 with 20" barrel as well as a standard Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel.

Both are stock- I haven't changed anything since purchasing.

I have trained and taken classes with the Mossberg 590A1 over the years. Never had a single issue with either of them.

However, i find myself using the 500 a bit more these days because of the lighter weight-- also the 18" barrel on it verses the 20" barrel on my 590A1 makes it more maneuverable for me in the close confines of my house.

The Mossberg 500 is a great shotgun. As far as that vs the standard 590-- I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 08-20-2019, 9:28 AM

If you plan on shooting this gun very much, like 200-500 rounds at a class, you kind of need the extra weight. The difference in weight in all of these guns is unnoticeable when you are shooting them. Also these guns actually do kick even with birdshot. How recoil sensitive are you?

These guns with buckshot or slugs will beat the snot out of you before you learn how to shoot them. Lots more to shooting a tactical shotgun than just carrying it around and popping off a round here and there. The shooting sometimes gets intense and if you haven't learned and practiced you will not do too good as the gun will fight you every step of the way.

All that said, you'd be best off just getting a M500 with a 18" bbl. It will probably do most of what you want. There is also lots of aftermarket stuff for them, so you can set the gun up any way you want.

Now if it is strictly for HD then why would a few oz of extra weigh make any difference whatsoever?

Here's a pic of my HD gun so you can get some ideas. The high ridged safety is a good idea, much better than the stock part.

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464677.jpg (47.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 100464706.JPG (67.0 KB, 92 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-20-2019 at 9:37 AM..
Old 08-20-2019, 11:01 AM

Well I'm just trying to get an honest answer as to what they actually weigh. Mossberg's website is obviously not correct.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:40 AM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

I don't know the exact weights but the 88 and the Mossberg are almost identical except for the safety and the forearm. The receivers are the same alloy. So if the position of the safety is important to you and you prefer a tang safety, the 500 is the choice. If you prefer a cross bolt safety by the trigger guard, the 88 is the choice. They both shoot well and unless you prefer a different forearm at times the 88 is a better bargain.

I have both and shoot both. For me they both do the job, but the Maverick is less expensive.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 08-20-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
If you plan on shooting this gun very much, like 200-500 rounds at a class, you kind of need the extra weight. The difference in weight in all of these guns is unnoticeable when you are shooting them. Also these guns actually do kick even with birdshot. How recoil sensitive are you?

These guns with buckshot or slugs will beat the snot out of you before you learn how to shoot them. Lots more to shooting a tactical shotgun than just carrying it around and popping off a round here and there. The shooting sometimes gets intense and if you haven't learned and practiced you will not do too good as the gun will fight you every step of the way.

All that said, you'd be best off just getting a M500 with a 18" bbl. It will probably do most of what you want. There is also lots of aftermarket stuff for them, so you can set the gun up any way you want.

Now if it is strictly for HD then why would a few oz of extra weigh make any difference whatsoever?

Here's a pic of my HD gun so you can get some ideas. The high ridged safety is a good idea, much better than the stock part.

Randy
Not weight related, but the metal safety switch is nice upgrade. The plastic switch is not that great and the metal one is much easier to switch on and off.

Most the 88s and 500s will be very close in weight. As I mentioned earlier, the 590A1 (note the A1) will be the one that is significantly heavier. It's also more expensive. The 20" barrel 8 shot models will balance more forward, something else to think about it if matters.

Functionally, they're all practically identical with the exception of the 88's safety, which is actually a better option for pistol grip stocks.

I think you're overthinking the weight. Go to the gun store and handle the the Mossys they have and go with the one you like.
Old 08-20-2019, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno377 View Post
I don't know the exact weights but the 88 and the Mossberg are almost identical except for the safety and the forearm. The receivers are the same alloy. So if the position of the safety is important to you and you prefer a tang safety, the 500 is the choice. If you prefer a cross bolt safety by the trigger guard, the 88 is the choice. They both shoot well and unless you prefer a different forearm at times the 88 is a better bargain.

I have both and shoot both. For me they both do the job, but the Maverick is less expensive.
Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at. If they really are identical then I am leaning towards the 500 simply because it's drilled and tapped and gives the option of putting on a red dot sometime in the future. However I saw they make Saddle mounts for the 88, are those any good or are they garbage?
Old 08-20-2019, 2:03 PM

My gun weighs 7 lbs 15.3 oz fully loaded with 12 rounds on board. Each Low Recoil Buckshot round weighs 1.6 oz so 12 weigh 19.6 oz.

I put the empty weight at 6 lb 12 oz or close unloaded. Since you aren't going to use it unloaded the loaded weight would be more useful.

That's with the Magpul Furniture and the Streamlight attached.

This was weighed on my postal scale today, just for you ..

Note: I do not shoot 3" or 2 3/4" Magnum Shells in this gun !!!

You can accomplish anything that is needed from an HD gun with Low Recoil Ammunition. Birdshot for Training only, LR Buckshot in the magazine(Cruiser Ready) and at least 3 slugs on the side saddle. Nothing above 1300 fps!

There is nothing to be gained at close range from the heavy loads and alot of unnecessary pain to be had by using them. I learned the hard way to actually read the box and see what you are shooting. Not being ready for a 1700 fps, 1 1/4 oz slug cost me $300 in Chiropractor Bills to reset a rib on my right side, and it hurt real bad for several days too boot!

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464980.jpg (30.7 KB, 84 views)

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-20-2019 at 2:07 PM..
Old 08-20-2019, 2:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i like the mavericks safety better
Old 08-20-2019, 5:23 PM

Buchanan is that a 500 or a Maverick 88? Thanks for weighing it for me

For those who are curious this is what I heard back from Mossberg:
Quote:
Thank you for your email. I apologize for the discrepancy in weights but i got :

50778 - 6.75
Mav 88 - 6.25
500 Tac - 6.75

The maverick 88 is going to be the lightest but again you are limited with it when it comes mounting accessories.
I'll probably end up going with the 590 - 50778 since it is apparently the same weight as a 500 and only 1/2 lb more than the Maverick 88 and holds an extra round. At this point I have to just go to the gun store and feel them for myself.
Old 08-21-2019, 8:53 AM

It is an M500.

There should be virtually no difference in the weight as the majority of the parts on two guns are identical.

The only difference in the Maverick that I can see is the trigger guard and placement of the safety. IF there is any difference it would be 1-2 oz at most, and I don't know which way it would go. Really we are splitting hairs.

These guns are pretty simple inside and there is like 5-6 internal parts. You can completely disassemble one in about 2 minutes. All the Mossbergs have Aluminum Receivers up to the 590A1 which is the Mil Spec Gun and has a Steel Fire Control Assembly(trigger group) and heavier barrel obviously made for rough use in Combat.

The Aluminum Receiver only holds all the parts together. The steel bolt locks into the Steel Barrel Extension when the gun is in battery similar to how an AR was designed with the steel parts taking the brunt of the forces during firing and the Aluminum Receiver just holding everything together. IE: there is no firing forces on the receiver itself.

My Tactical Gun has 2000+ rounds thru it and runs so nice and smooth it is criminal. Keeping the insides clean helps alot and since the gun is so simple to take apart there is no excuse for not keeping one clean. A complete tear down every 3-500 rounds is appropriate. I do it every time I come home from a class at Front Sight.

Here's a pic of my Tactical Gun it is identical to the HD gun but for barrel and magazine length. And the barrel has been Vang Comped which is another subject.

If you live in Northern LA I would suggest a drive to the Camarillo Gun Store in Camarillo as they have all of the different models in stock ready for you to handle. 805-484-3768

Randy

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464676.jpg (51.8 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-21-2019 at 8:58 AM..
Old 08-21-2019, 11:24 AM

Just remember, 590 has a much more limited number if barrel choices should you want to upgrade in the feature.
500 has virtually unlimited variety of barrel options including various rifled ones.
Since you are looking for lighter gun, i'd go with 88 since it is the same as 500 but lighter with same upgrade options including barrels, and you do not need red dot on SG, you shoot where you look. Just point and slam the trigger.
Big 5 has combos, security BBL and Field Accu Choke BBL for less than $300

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/st...57/_/A-5993647

~~~~~

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 08-21-2019 at 11:30 AM..
Old 08-22-2019, 4:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarhuntor View Post
Just remember, 590 has a much more limited number if barrel choices should you want to upgrade in the feature.
500 has virtually unlimited variety of barrel options including various rifled ones.
Since you are looking for lighter gun, i'd go with 88 since it is the same as 500 but lighter with same upgrade options including barrels, and you do not need red dot on SG, you shoot where you look. Just point and slam the trigger.
Big 5 has combos, security BBL and Field Accu Choke BBL for less than $300

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/st...57/_/A-5993647

~~~~~

well the 500/88 have 2 different mag tube lenghts so if you get the long tube only short barrels are available

mossberg really screwed up 20 years ago i used to call the short tube the "persuader length" and the long one the "cruiser length" but they put both tubes on both models